Be careful out there

cornishcarlos

Riding fast on the street (which I do on occasion- I didn't buy a high-performance bike to ride it like a scooter- buying a bike that's not made for the riding you plan to do is pretty silly) is about judiciously picking your spots- skill does indeed enter into it (some 'riders' need to realize that 'skill' also encompasses knowing how to increase your margin of safety, and not just how to take a turn at speed).

If you want to be a 'rolling roadblock' go right ahead, but in LOS that's also extremely dangerous as having cars and trucks constantly overtake you means you have to have too much reliance on the skills of others rather than on your own. If you don't work on your roadcraft, you're an accident waiting to happen- if you ride fast in foolish situations, the same is also true.

Work on your skills- this includes properly reading the road and anticipating traffic- don't be lulled into thinking that plodding along like an old lady will keep you safe- a smart rider always rides faster than the flow of traffic as it's easier to see a 'moving target'- unless you're in stop-and-go traffic, ride with your brights on- know that with a few million scooters on the road, drivers are conditioned to think you're riding fairly slowly (under 80kph) and will assume they have time to make maneuvers that will kill you if you're going 160kph.

Most riders cause their own problems- learn how to minimize this and your chances of survival increase. Spend some money and improve your brakes, and practice braking drills and 'panic stops'- buy HID lighting- take a course or do an track day with instructors if possible. Ride smart.

All I can say to your post is.. Slow and safe wins the race – remember the tortoise and the hare story !

They eat tortoises in Thailand...

• Like 1

If you want to be a 'rolling roadblock' go right ahead, but in LOS that's also extremely dangerous as having cars and trucks constantly overtake you means you have to have too much reliance on the skills of others rather than on your own.

100% agree & I always said I prefer moving thru traffic than having traffic

moving thru me as I knew my capabilities but not theirs.

Of course also goes without saying I was constantly scanning my mirrors & if I saw a fast closing object

doing speeds above what I deemed prudent for the situation. I would take appropriate actions to be out of that objects path

• Like 2

Like just1voice (#38), I get a great deal of enjoyment out of cruising around the countryside. These days it's the Scoopyi, not the 750, but apart from the comfort factor, there's no difference. It's open road and nature of the kind that can't be found in the city. It's a chance to pull off the road and walk into the forest aways to look at birds or spot some wildlife. It's a chance to meander through a small village and swap smiles with the locals. There are orchards and rice fields, mansions and shacks, etans and overloaded trucks, and people who always seem so much more relaxed than where I live.

So day tripping on the bike, whether large or small, is a great stress reliever and an interesting way to spend the time. But as always, you never let down your guard - we'll stay safe, CC. I hope everyone else does as well.

• Like 1

You bought a high performance bike to ride on a track not on a public road, I bought a high performance bike because of my love of big bikes nothing to do with driving very fast and irresponsibly, driving at high speed on a public road is irresponsible and I don't care how experienced you think you are, let's ask the victim of the accident in question, oh we can't as he's dead! I drive with the traffic and leave plenty of space from the vehicle in front, if I can see a problem vehicle coming up from behind I simply move through the traffic and into a more comfortable position, please don't try and justify driving fast by quoting how experienced you are!

• Like 1