Honda NV400 high rpm misfire - update

AllanB

Many of you will have read and indeed offered advice on this problem a while back, so I would just like to inform you of the solution.

In addition to a misfire which occurred at about 5/6000rpm under load, the bike would be difficult to start when hot, or more precisely impossible to start for 3 minutes, when hot. Leaving me a little embarrassed at the traffic lights.

I had lived with this problem for a year since I bought the bike, during which time I tried everything, asked everyone, found and fixed other faults, determined that a solution could be found. But no.sad.png

A couple of weeks ago, with the carb now leaking due to it being dismantled 100 times, I talked to a guy called "Jo Modify" in Khon Kaen. Two of his lads accompanied me back to my house and they took the bike Thai fashion, leg on the rear spring, pushed by a scooter back to his shop.

The following day he called me to say the bike was fixed. The fault turned out to be a damaged pickup.

Now this was one of the first things we checked last year but only using a DVM, checking the resistance of each pickup, they were both the same, so we moved on.

I guess Jo had seen this scenario before and went straight there, now the bike goes like stink, straight up the red line and no hot start problem at all. Now I have another problem...how to ride the damn thing slowly.

So I would like to "big it up" for Jo Modify, who has just made me up a new choke cable.

Edited by AllanB

Congrats on finding the cause. Sounds like you've found a good wrench for working on the bike.

Yes, he has lots of high end bikes in his shop, that why I trusted him, they do high quality custom work too and his prices are good. Also he speaks "biker's English".

I still want to do my own stuff, but after a year of fixing stuff, there isn't much left.....I hope.

Good news !

Good shop is a big asset. I like to pull my own wrenches too, but some things just not worth buying for a once a year job - this is where the shop comes in. Build a rapport, get it done for little or no charge.

Edited by seedy

Congrats on finding the cause. Sounds like you've found a good wrench for working on the bike.

Yes, he has lots of high end bikes in his shop, that why I trusted him, they do high quality custom work too and his prices are good. Also he speaks "biker's English".

I still want to do my own stuff, but after a year of fixing stuff, there isn't much left.....I hope.

I can read a DVM, but to be honest electronics baffle me, I would never have found an intermittent fault on a pickup. I think it is case of having seen it before, that is why I am updating ya'll. It may happen to you in the future.

But thanks for all your help, I have learned a lot.

• Like 1