Is This the Best Spaghetti and Meatballs in Pattaya?

BugJackBaron

post-60298-0-56691500-1418463307_thumb.j

Recently, I had a hankering for old style spaghetti and meatballs which is of course not the usual fair in many restaurants here - even Western ones.

So I was pleasantly surprised to find great spaghetti and meatballs in a

cozy and convenient corner of Jomtien.

The restaurant is called Mama Da Food and Drink and has recently upgraded its menu and location while still maintaining the friendly family atmosphere people remember from its previous location.

Specifically it is now located next to La Merenda which is across from the Rumpo Complex on Jomtien beach 2nd Rd.

The menu is quite extensive and offers European food such as Makaroonitaatikko( a Finnish item) , cheeseburgers as well as typical Thai

entrees. I chose the Spaghetti and meatballs and a short time later was

enjoying a well seasoned dish with noodles cooked just right and a tasty tomato sauce for a very reasonable price, The service was swift and friendly and the level of English very good. To wash it down , I chose a good red wine for just 70 Baht a glass. Beer at low prices is also offered but my partner chose a Gin and Tonic which was piquant and not watered down (like many places do) for a mere 100 Baht.

In addition they offer a very good Wifi connection for those who need to check Facebook as well as free pool. It is open from around 11 in the morning to late at night every day. All in all, it is excellent value for money and worth a trip from anywhere in Pattaya.

post-60298-0-27472800-1418465319_thumb.j

Edited by BugJackBaron
  • Like 1

Not if that photograph is anything to go by.

Your "disinterested" review sounds like a badly written paid promotion.

It was meant to be a relatively comprehensive and honest review written quickly after a good meal and a couple of wines; I wasn't concentrating on being poetic I have no connection to the restaurant or owner and I fail to see how it is very different from

other review threads that run in this forum.

It was meant to be a relatively comprehensive and honest review written quickly after a good meal and a couple of wines; I wasn't concentrating on being poetic I have no connection to the restaurant or owner and I fail to see how it is very different from

Thank you for the helpful info. Will try next in Jomtien.

It's odd to say this but its very comprehensiveness gave it a promotional cast. Thanks for the explanation. A good tip.

Are those balls fried?

They look fried.

If so, that seems weird.

I guess we can assume they are pork, not beef.

I had a look at their menu a while back and noticed the Finnish stuff but decided not to try it at least that time.

Maybe later.

Frying meatballs is a very common way of cooking them in Europe, so nothing weird with that considering they are serving European food.

Additionally it’s also very common to use a mix of pork and beef so your assumptions there could very well be off.

Are those balls fried?

They look fried.

If so, that seems weird.

I had a look at their menu a while back and noticed the Finnish stuff but decided not to try it at least that time.

Maybe later.

Frying meatballs is a very common way of cooking them in Europe, so nothing weird with that considering they are serving European food.

Additionally it’s also very common to use a mix of pork and beef so your assumptions there could very well be off.

Yes I'm aware frying meatballs isn't unusual but it matters to some who are avoiding fried foods.

I'm also aware of mixed meat meatballs, but considering the beef quality situation in Thailand, I think it's a fair guess those are pork.

Just curious.

• Like 1

Are those balls fried?

They look fried.

If so, that seems weird.

Maybe later.

Additionally its also very common to use a mix of pork and beef so your assumptions there could very well be off.

Yes I'm aware frying meatballs isn't unusual but it matters to some who are avoiding fried foods.

I'm also aware of mixed meat meatballs, but considering the beef quality situation in Thailand, I think it's a fair guess those are pork.

Just curious.

I too try to stay away from fried food, it was just your comment:

They look fried.

If so, that seems weird

That threw me off, I figured the TV food critic would be well aware of fried meatballs and not considering it being weird.

As for the beef, I sometimes buy the ground beef at Makro, makes great meatballs when mixed with ground pork.

The above comments --- making a big issue over a simple suggestion is an example of some of Thai Visa -Pattaya members' outlook on anything they see, read, or hear.

You want to say that there is something wrong with Thaivisa Pattaya members?

I would agree with you if you had said Jomtienbiggrin.png

I'm sometimes baffled by dishes favored by US Americans.

I don't see what's special about Spaghetti with Meatballs (whatever meat) in tomato sauce (even if the sauce is really great).

Another dish a friend raved about was Macaroni and Cheese and how much he missed it - so he brought me some when he came back from the US and I was frankly underwhelmed, even my expectations were low.

Both dishes are really easy to do (okay, a good tomato sauce needs some time), but beyond that I also wonder why these dishes are considered to be anything more than staple food/grub often made by someone who can't cook something more elaborate?

And I don't want to specifically target US food here, there are other examples of food from other countries for which I wonder about the same thing.

Edited by manarak

You're correct that spaghetti and meatballs is an Italian American dish more than an Italian dish.

If you knew anything about food in the U.S. now you would know the dish has long been considered RETRO ... kind of a nostalgia, comfort food. Tastes are much more sophisticated now.

It's more like "diner" food or food featured at places trying to be camp.

Personally, I don't think I've had a plate of spag and meatballs in 25 years.

On mac and cheese, it's also a comfort, childhood type food, brings back memories, and also super popular in the SOUTH where it is sometimes classed as a VEGETABLE side. Now the quality varies a lot. The stuff out of the box is gross but I've had some honestly cooked versions that are downright great (especially at "soul food" type joints).

There are a lot of good, simple, and popular foods in many cultures. Basic Italian pasta with oil garlic and chili ... what could be easier than that, but Italians love it.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I'm sometimes baffled by dishes favored by US Americans.

I don't see what's special about Spaghetti with Meatballs (whatever meat) in tomato sauce (even if the sauce is really great).

Another dish a friend raved about was Macaroni and Cheese and how much he missed it - so he brought me some when he came back from the US and I was frankly underwhelmed, even my expectations were low.

Both dishes are really easy to do (okay, a good tomato sauce needs some time), but beyond that I also wonder why these dishes are considered to be anything more than staple food/grub often made by someone who can't cook something more elaborate?

And I don't want to specifically target US food here, there are other examples of food from other countries for which I wonder about the same thing.

Out of a tin, macaroni cheese is probably not too nice.

Homemade and it goes up a level:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UrhC2Mbp-4

You're correct that spaghetti and meatballs is an Italian American dish more than an Italian dish.

If you knew anything about food in the U.S. now you would know the dish has long been considered RETRO ... kind of a nostalgia, comfort food. Tastes are much more sophisticated now.

On mac and cheese, it's also a comfort, childhood type food, brings back memories, and also super popular in the SOUTH where it is sometimes classed as a VEGETABLE side. Now the quality varies a lot. The stuff out of the box is gross but I've had some honestly cooked versions that are downright great (especially at "soul food" type joints).

There are a lot of good, simple, and popular foods in many cultures. Basic Italian pasta with oil garlic and chili ... what could be easier than that, but Italians love it.

I like the breadcrumbs version of spaghetti, oil & garlic. Called Carters spaghetti - as in cart in horse drawn cart. Does not contain horse.

You're right. I think most of us occasionally get a craving for the (often) simple dishes from our childhood - even dishes that we weren't especially fond of back then.

I sometimes "need" to go to restaurants that cater to people from my ethnic background, even though I'm slightly to very disappointed most of the time. I do think that most of the time they try to make it as "real and authentic" as they possibly can, but slight variations in the ingredients, way of cooking etc many times make the dish taste "off".

Thank you for the post

I too thought on reading the OP, that is was written as an advert, and i had to look how many posts the poster had to dispel that thought, I also thought on first reading that there was a swimming pool for free as well ( funny what image pops into ones head on first reading) I also thought the portion looked small and not very appetizing , with no garnish.

Meatballs "fried" sounds painfull to me whistling.gif

I think the "traditional" Italian American recipe would be more like a pan fried saute in a generous amount of olive oil. As opposed to deep fried balls.

I think my mom browns the meatballs in a hot pan with olive oil, then finishes them in the oven.

Speaking of meatballs, I'd like to find a genuine Italian wedding soup.

• Like 1

You're correct, the pan part is the browning part and I think the finishing can be done either in over or actually in the sauce.

Why not finish them in the pan?

I’d say panfrying meatballs is one of the most common ways to cook meatballs. licklips.gif

I brown them in the frying pan

Then stick them in the sauce and let them simmer away.

Works OK for me but I'm no cook

I vaguely recall the browning seals in the meats flavour and you lose some of the fat

Do the same with mince for spag bol and cottage pies

Yes I kind of think brown in pan finish in sauce is the standard Italian American method.

But back to the OP, for some reason those balls look deep fried to me.

I guess you could probably tell by tasting them.

Yep I think you're right on that

If I wasn't gonna do my usual way (this is just an idea I haven't tried yet)

I'd brown them , stick them on a skewer , BBQ and then put the sauce over them

Sparkey