Merida

arkom

I'm thinking of getting a new bike to ride for exercise/recreational use, not looking for something too expensive as I am not that serious of rider yet.

A shop that I went to recommended the Merida Crossway 300, for about 23,000 and within my budget. Tried sitting on it and it felt comfortable and light. I've never heard of the brand but did a quick search on google and they seem to be highly recommended and wondering if anyone has personal experience.

Thanks for any input!

Merida have a majority ownership of Specialized and build their bikes for them as well as being a sub contract manufacturer for several other major brands (rather like Giant).

And like Giant they are excellent value for money, they also have a team in the WorldTour - Lampre Merida, if you're in to road racing, and an MTB team - Merida Multivan, if you prefer off road.

On a personal note I owned a Merida Big Nine Lite Team Issue XC MTB until earlier this year, great bike, only changed it because I wanted to do some more serious off road riding.

Edited by moonoi

I'm a long distance cyclist and did quite a bit of touring on a Merida MTB before switching to my current Surly LHT touring bike. I can tell you then generally speaking Merida makes an excellent bike as do many other manufacturers. Manufacturers will usually keep the price down by cutting back on the type components used opting for lower end gearing and braking and Merida is no exception. That said make sure the bike "fits" you. Here's some good information in that regard:

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

I'm looking for a new Merida Big 9 800 or Big 9 900 myself.

I'm a long distance cyclist and did quite a bit of touring on a Merida MTB before switching to my current Surly LHT touring bike. I can tell you then generally speaking Merida makes an excellent bike as do many other manufacturers. Manufacturers will usually keep the price down by cutting back on the type components used opting for lower end gearing and braking and Merida is no exception. That said make sure the bike "fits" you. Here's some good information in that regard:

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

I'm looking for a new Merida Big 9 800 or Big 9 900 myself.

You wouldn't be interested in a 21" Big 9 Team Issue frame? :-)

I moved all the parts to my new bike, but still have the frame and wheels

Merida have a majority ownership of Specialized and build their bikes for them as well as being a sub contract manufacturer for several other major brands (rather like Giant).

And like Giant they are excellent value for money, they also have a team in the WorldTour - Lampre Merida, if you're in to road racing, and an MTB team - Merida Multivan, if you prefer off road.

On a personal note I owned a Merida Big Nine Lite Team Issue XC MTB until earlier this year, great bike, only changed it because I wanted to do some more serious off road riding.

I'm looking into buying a Merida Reacto.

Merida makes bikes at almost every price point. As others have said, Meridas are good value and are comparable to all the big mass-market brands like Trek and Giant. each model comes with a choice of components. The more you spend, the better the components.

As a correction to the above post, Merida is only a minority shareholder of Specialized Bicycle Components.

I've had a Merida Matts XC series for 5 years in Thailand. Nothing flash but it's been a great bike for general everyday use. I am not an expert on bikes but it came with decent components & disc brakes - all for around ฿13K. Still a nice looking bike & I will be getting another Merida in the near future.

I'm looking into buying a Merida Reacto.

Merida makes bikes at almost every price point. As others have said, Meridas are good value and are comparable to all the big mass-market brands like Trek and Giant. each model comes with a choice of components. The more you spend, the better the components.

As a correction to the above post, Merida is only a minority shareholder of Specialized Bicycle Components.

Yep you're right, I thought I had read that Mike Sinyard had sold up some of his 51% shareholding earlier this year, but I can't find that report anymore. Still Merida owns the other 49% so it's still a significant investment. Anyway going OT now :-)

My Merida Matts TFS 500 now has 32'000 km on the clock, a friend's TFS 300 about 25'000.
Both of us can be counted as "heavy", and we ride about 10% off-road but not extreme. Made 5'000 km on tour with up to 20 kg luggage.

Absolutely satisfying bikes, never made any problem at all. Of course regularly maintained, and wear parts replaced on time. After 20'000 km I replaced the fork by a better one.

Both bikes still almost look like new and work as they did on the first day.
Highly recommended!

• Like 2

Thanks for replies everyone, looks like could Merida is the one to go with.

A friend recommended I take a look at Giant, I know that they are also a Taiwanese brand. My guess is that quality would be about the same?

Edited by arkom

Nothing wrong with any of the big Taiwanese brands.

Just to add; I've had a Matts 100 for years, its been totally abused, loaned, endoed, ridden in the surf etc. Not many original components but still alive.smile.png I've bought and sold a dozen or more fancier bikes in the meantime.