Russian Ruble Hits New Low

I see the Russian ruble is now 0.50 baht at Superrich1965 in Bangkok. A year ago 1 ruble was getting 0.95 baht, almost 1 for 1. That means a year ago the Russians were getting about 90% more baht for a ruble.

I guess the smart Russians transferred piles of money here last year or into US$. One Euro buys 71 rubles, one US$ buys 57.5 rubles today. Interest rates in Russia jumped 1% to 10.5% on Dec. 11, 2014

Is this affecting the number Russians visiting Thailand?

• Like 1

http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/USDRUB:CUR

52wk Range: 32.4834 - 58.5053

you have to remember too:

Crude Oil (WTI) USD/bbl. 57.81 -2.14 -3.57%

from http://www.bloomberg.com/energy/

crude oil was over 100 usd not too long ago

russia is a major energy supplier so it makes sense to track the oil price with the ruble exchange rate.

Edited by shiout

I went for a haircut today in the Avenue and there was a Russian barber working there, I guess times are tough, true story

Why does that indicate that "times are tough"? There are rich and poor in most every country. Perhaps he is the owner of the salon?

I went for a haircut today in the Avenue and there was a Russian barber working there, I guess times are tough, true story

once i went to a bar and there was a British bartender mixing and serving drinks. then i thought "times are tough".

Russians are still holidaying however Russian real estate is dead.

What's Russian Real-Estate ?

Genuinely asking.

It's just a term I've not heard before.

my uneducated guess is that's real estate neither located in Queensland nor Papua New Guinea.

i thought most of the russians income in thailand came from business in thailand if so they wouldnt be affected

I think many Russian owned / operated businesses in Thailand mostly cater to Russian customers. Without these customers, they too will be heavily affected.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Why does that indicate that "times are tough"? There are rich and poor in most every country. Perhaps he is the owner of the salon?

once i went to a bar and there was a British bartender mixing and serving drinks. then i thought "times are tough".

It was just a haircut

Work Permit ???

Russians are still holidaying however Russian real estate is dead.

What's Russian Real-Estate ?

Genuinely asking.

It's just a term I've not heard before.

my uneducated guess is that's real estate neither located in Queensland nor Papua New Guinea.

Given the Recent (last couple of years) influx of Russians into Pattaya and surrounds I thought that hey have have bought considerable landholdings ... as the Japanese did in Australia decades ago when it was a popular destination for them.

Yes, I know it's difficult for a Foreigner to buy land in Thailand but big money does grease the wheels.

So, not know the answer, I humbly asked.

Ruble trouble what a barney

Despite recent claims to allow free float overnight bank rate hiked from 10.5 to 17% in an attempt to stop capital flight.

Now 17% sounds a great return over a per cent permonth of course nobody will pile in with oil pushed under US$65 and Brent crude similar to maost Russian exports nearer 60 and heading South.This is a winwin for USA Saudis OPEC Ukraine Israel,and of course less Russian tourists.Sad day for ordinary Russian worker with no shares in a country that while awash in gas gold oil and vodka imports food and consumer goods.

Checking at my bank a rouble is worth barely penny or 40 odd satang kind of amount it would be be an insult to tip

Ruble trouble what a barney

Despite recent claims to allow free float overnight bank rate hiked from 10.5 to 17% in an attempt to stop capital flight.

Now 17% sounds a great return over a per cent permonth of course nobody will pile in with oil pushed under US$65 and Brent crude similar to maost Russian exports nearer 60 and heading South.This is a winwin for USA Saudis OPEC Ukraine Israel,and of course less Russian tourists.Sad day for ordinary Russian worker with no shares in a country that while awash in gas gold oil and vodka imports food and consumer goods.

Checking at my bank a rouble is worth barely penny or 40 odd satang kind of amount it would be be an insult to tip