Washington march: Civil rights protest over US police killings

Lite Beer

A long train of horror stories linked together one after the other contributes nothing constructive to the discussions. It simply dwells on the anecdotal, never to get beyond it. Presenting a horror story as an example can conversely be illustrative and can assist in communicating an important point or proposed course of action toward resolving problems, differences, challenges.

I'm kicking myself because I've strayed from my own rule to write my posts to the visitor-reader who is open to argument and discussion, rather than to the regular poster who is convinced and closed. By "the" poster I mean in general and broadly speaking. So I will resume my normal practice and write to the visitor-reader....

According to Justice Department statistics, 84% of white people killed every year are killed by other whites. Which means the term "black on black" crime is a racialized colloquialism that perpetuates the myth that black people are somehow more prone to violence. The myth is demolished by the long term data collected by the FBI, DoJ and the census.

The Guardian newspaper has banned the use of the phrase "black on black violence." The paper's Stylebook advocates a racial neutrality towards violence because it doesn't use any term such as "white on white violence." I would here add what has been said already, that the term "black on black" violence is a slander against the vast majority of law abiding Black Americans whether rich or poor who get painted by the broad and crude brush that the phrase is.

Aggressive terms such as that one give support for racial profiling and they promote the disproportionate policing of black neighborhoods as a legitimate and acceptable approach to keeping peace and order. The resulting over-policing such as in Ferguson concerning Michael Brown, in NYC concerning Eric Garner, in Cleveland where a 12 year old boy was shot to death -- and in so many other instances -- has led to disproportionately higher rates or arrest in black communities, which in turn reinforces the notion that blacks naturally commit crime.

Civil rights progress in the United States has ebbed and flowed during the post civil war period, which includes up to the present. The current period with the first black president is actually a low point and the US will move out of it once race is less of a high profile issue than it has been the past six or so years. G.W. Bush doesn't look any better to me now than he did while he wuz in the White House, but a number of Americans have come to view him more favorably...the less one sees of him the better he looks I guess.

The same is true of every president to include Jimmy Carter, so although Barack Obama is no Jimmy Carter, after Prez Obama comes out swinging over the next two years he will have earned a new appreciation by the time he exits Washington. The appreciation of him will only increase once he begins his new life as the former president when his countrymen will view him with perspective.

Cannot answer basic questions or accept the reality of the situation. Clueless about what it is like to live in dangerous US cities full of blacks that will literally shoot you over a piece of chicken. Life is cheap and meaningless to blacks when the kill each other, but somehow they say it is meaningless when one gets gunned down while committing criminal acts or assaulting police officers.

You and your side full if thugs and losers that cannot even commit to getting an education or GED has the inconsistencies.

How long has it been since you lived in the US and what city was it. I had many friends from up North that attended law school in the South that did not get and thought Southerners were just a bunch of bigots. After about a year in the. South, they were like oh my God, I get it now.

If you have not lived in or been to cities like St. Louis, Memphis, Atlanta and etc. in the 10 years, you are clueless, uninformed and being judgmental without haver he benefit of any knowledge from which to form a reasonable basis of judgment.

Smart, law abiding people get it and we will take back control. The Obama/Holder types have 2 more years and then never again.

I don't get my information or my experience from Memphis if that's what is meant.

For one thing it is in a state, Tennessee, that in 2008 and again in 2012 gave its popular and electoral vote for president to the Republican party candidate, John McCain and Willard Mitt Romney respectively, both its US Senators are Republicans, 7 of 9 of its US Reps in the House are Republican, the governor is Republican as is its state legislature Republican.

In 2012 Romney got 60% of the vote in Tennessee. No Democrat anywhere for anything needs your vote and black Democrats need it even less.

I lived 15 years in Washington DC which as you'd know is 70% black so I know how the real estate agents go about their business, and the banks, and the police and so on...and I've been there anyway. One night we suddenly and shockingly found ourselves in the middle of a shootout between gangstas and the police that we managed to survive unharmed. While I was in grad school on a tight budget I lived in mid-town where I socialized with my low income black neighbors, but I certainly didn't know every black in the area. Growing up in my hometown 500 miles north of DC my best buddy was black which made me a bro in neighborhoods others stayed out of.

Yes that was then and this is now yet still the post includes for the umpteenth time the instant replay of somebody killing another over a piece of chicken. So now the good and the great of Memphis are ready to take back their fine city from this and other brainless violence, but by what means? Certainly not by force of arms, right? Your side does know that violence begets violence, right? And your side knows that jammed packed prisons cost money and waste lives, right?

Let me advise your side like a Dutch Uncle (which I am not), the good and the great of Memphis need people who move reasonably well and effectively on both sides of the tracks if the good and the great are to have any realistic possibility of taking back their fair city in any meaningful and sustainable way. That is true because I don't see or hear anything realistic, adept or savvy coming off these pages from the other side. All I hear instead is a fierce negativity that is at the least equal to that of the gangstas.

Most clear from over here is that there are too many people over there who have a deep red hue in the area of the neck.

I asked if you had any first hand knowledge of or lived in Memphis to understand what it is like to live in the gang culture mentality and violent crime rate of Memphis and you answer by telling me Tennessee as a whole voted Republican!!?! Beyond moronic.

This simply illustrates and confirms you are someone "educated" by the Internet that has zero informed judgment (i.e., haven't a clue as to what your talking about) based on the realities of life in the communities impacted and apparently driven by your own racial issues given your consistent use of racially derogatory terms for white people.

Edited by F430murci
  • Like 1

A long train of horror stories linked together one after the other contributes nothing constructive to the discussions. It simply dwells on the anecdotal, never to get beyond it. Presenting a horror story as an example can conversely be illustrative and can assist in communicating an important point or proposed course of action toward resolving problems, differences, challenges.

I'm kicking myself because I've strayed from my own rule to write my posts to the visitor-reader who is open to argument and discussion, rather than to the regular poster who is convinced and closed. By "the" poster I mean in general and broadly speaking. So I will resume my normal practice and write to the visitor-reader....

According to Justice Department statistics, 84% of white people killed every year are killed by other whites. Which means the term "black on black" crime is a racialized colloquialism that perpetuates the myth that black people are somehow more prone to violence. The myth is demolished by the long term data collected by the FBI, DoJ and the census.

The Guardian newspaper has banned the use of the phrase "black on black violence." The paper's Stylebook advocates a racial neutrality towards violence because it doesn't use any term such as "white on white violence." I would here add what has been said already, that the term "black on black" violence is a slander against the vast majority of law abiding Black Americans whether rich or poor who get painted by the broad and crude brush that the phrase is.

Aggressive terms such as that one give support for racial profiling and they promote the disproportionate policing of black neighborhoods as a legitimate and acceptable approach to keeping peace and order. The resulting over-policing such as in Ferguson concerning Michael Brown, in NYC concerning Eric Garner, in Cleveland where a 12 year old boy was shot to death -- and in so many other instances -- has led to disproportionately higher rates or arrest in black communities, which in turn reinforces the notion that blacks naturally commit crime.

Civil rights progress in the United States has ebbed and flowed during the post civil war period, which includes up to the present. The current period with the first black president is actually a low point and the US will move out of it once race is less of a high profile issue than it has been the past six or so years. G.W. Bush doesn't look any better to me now than he did while he wuz in the White House, but a number of Americans have come to view him more favorably...the less one sees of him the better he looks I guess.

The same is true of every president to include Jimmy Carter, so although Barack Obama is no Jimmy Carter, after Prez Obama comes out swinging over the next two years he will have earned a new appreciation by the time he exits Washington. The appreciation of him will only increase once he begins his new life as the former president when his countrymen will view him with perspective.

Cannot answer basic questions or accept the reality of the situation. Clueless about what it is like to live in dangerous US cities full of blacks that will literally shoot you over a piece of chicken. Life is cheap and meaningless to blacks when the kill each other, but somehow they say it is meaningless when one gets gunned down while committing criminal acts or assaulting police officers.

You and your side full if thugs and losers that cannot even commit to getting an education or GED has the inconsistencies.

How long has it been since you lived in the US and what city was it. I had many friends from up North that attended law school in the South that did not get and thought Southerners were just a bunch of bigots. After about a year in the. South, they were like oh my God, I get it now.

If you have not lived in or been to cities like St. Louis, Memphis, Atlanta and etc. in the 10 years, you are clueless, uninformed and being judgmental without haver he benefit of any knowledge from which to form a reasonable basis of judgment.

Smart, law abiding people get it and we will take back control. The Obama/Holder types have 2 more years and then never again.

I don't get my information or my experience from Memphis if that's what is meant.

For one thing it is in a state, Tennessee, that in 2008 and again in 2012 gave its popular and electoral vote for president to the Republican party candidate, John McCain and Willard Mitt Romney respectively, both its US Senators are Republicans, 7 of 9 of its US Reps in the House are Republican, the governor is Republican as is its state legislature Republican.

In 2012 Romney got 60% of the vote in Tennessee. No Democrat anywhere for anything needs your vote and black Democrats need it even less.

I lived 15 years in Washington DC which as you'd know is 70% black so I know how the real estate agents go about their business, and the banks, and the police and so on...and I've been there anyway. One night we suddenly and shockingly found ourselves in the middle of a shootout between gangstas and the police that we managed to survive unharmed. While I was in grad school on a tight budget I lived in mid-town where I socialized with my low income black neighbors, but I certainly didn't know every black in the area. Growing up in my hometown 500 miles north of DC my best buddy was black which made me a bro in neighborhoods others stayed out of.

Yes that was then and this is now yet still the post includes for the umpteenth time the instant replay of somebody killing another over a piece of chicken. So now the good and the great of Memphis are ready to take back their fine city from this and other brainless violence, but by what means? Certainly not by force of arms, right? Your side does know that violence begets violence, right? And your side knows that jammed packed prisons cost money and waste lives, right?

Let me advise your side like a Dutch Uncle (which I am not), the good and the great of Memphis need people who move reasonably well and effectively on both sides of the tracks if the good and the great are to have any realistic possibility of taking back their fair city in any meaningful and sustainable way. That is true because I don't see or hear anything realistic, adept or savvy coming off these pages from the other side. All I hear instead is a fierce negativity that is at the least equal to that of the gangstas.

Most clear from over here is that there are too many people over there who have a deep red hue in the area of the neck.

I asked if you had any first hand knowledge of or lived in Memphis to understand what it is like to live in the gang culture mentality and violent crime rate of Memphis and you answer by telling me Tennessee as a whole voted Republican!!?! Beyond moronic.

This simply illustrates and confirms you are someone "educated" by the Internet that has zero informed judgment based on the realities of life in the communities impacted and apparently driven by your own racial issues given your consistent use of racially derogatory terms for white people.

I'm white as a lily of northern European ancestry raised in the snows of the Northeast US transplanted to Atlanta.

Once the arrogant and presumptuous scoldings and denunciations stop perhaps a dialogue can occur.

Perhaps.

That of course would be a rhetorical question because it would be a mistake to try to realistically pose it to anyone here for him to answer. I only know posters here by their posts so on that basis I can't imagine anyone would oppose obvious self defense, especially on the part of a police officer. I just don't know any poster here by his posts that would answer 'yes' to such a question....do you know any poster who would respond otherwise? I didn't think so but I asked the question because I wanted to make the record clear and unambiguous.

Can anyone here tell me what this guy is going on about?

This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Usually with most of Pub's posts, you can condense the ten or so pointless paragraphs into one concise sentence in order to try to work out what he's trying to say. But not this time.

Lunatic fringe . . . I know your out there . . . Ooo-Ooo-Ooo-uh-Huh.

--------

Lunatic fringe is a term used to characterize members of a political or social movement as extremists with eccentric or fanatical views.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunatic_fringe

• Like 1

This simply illustrates and confirms you are someone "educated" by the Internet that has zero informed judgment based on the realities of life in the communities impacted and apparently driven by your own racial issues given your consistent use of racially derogatory terms for white people.

I'm white as a lily of northern European ancestry raised in the snows of the Northeast US transplanted to Atlanta.

Once the arrogant and presumptuous scoldings and denunciations stop perhaps a dialogue can occur.

Perhaps.

I am a purple, shape shifting lizard from Uranus . . .

So a person cannot be racist against groups of people from their own race?

What years did you live in Atlanta? Didn't you leave the US 10 or so years ago, you lived in DC for 15 years . . . Atlanta has changed a whole lot from a race stand point since the mid 90s and was a completely different city in the 70s and 80s. I lived there in late 70s and early 80s and went to school at Emory in early to mid 90s. Loved it then, could not pay me enough to live there now.

Edited by F430murci

Not sure if you guys think I was serious about people in Memphis being willing to kill someone over a chicken wing (actual case I worked on while clerking for a Court of Appeals judge in the mid 90s ). . . Life is cheap in Memphis so it is so bizarre to hear protestors telling everyone black lives count too when the black community place so little value on human life.

This happened just yesterday . . . saw on news while visiting family here . . . Threatened to kill because would not give her $ 2.00.

Maybe they should change their protest signs to:

"Black Lives Count Too . . . Going Rate $ 2.00"

----------

Memphis Police arrested Bridgett Foster Dec. 24 after she threatened to kill her neighbor over $2. She had been drinking with her neighbor and asked her to borrow the money.

The neighbor told police that when she said that she didn't have any money. Foster then became irate and put a steak knife to her throat saying, 'I'm gonna stick you!,'" police said.

http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/story/27708459/police-neighbor-almost-killed-over-2

Edited by F430murci
  • Like 1

Perhaps someone should teach these thugs that violence breeds violence, but love and compassion breeds love and compassion. There is a lesson in this article . . . Yep, those dang racists, dirty harry cops . . . Whateva. Even with all the threats toward the police in Ferguson, they still have care and compassion.

Pub: When are you going to address the fact that out of the approximately 400 perpetrators killed bu cops each year, approximately 300 are white and 100 are black. Yep, open season on blacks and cops targeting blacks. Whateva.

----------

An African-American boy holding a "Free Hugs" sign stood crying in front of a police barricade at a Ferguson rally in Portland. A white police officer motioned for him to come closer. The officer then asked the boy for a hug — and they embraced, the boy's anguished face streaming with tears.

http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/story/27517233/encounter-at-protest-leads-to-hug-for-boy-officer

Perhaps someone should teach these thugs that violence breeds violence, but love and compassion breeds love and compassion. There is a lesson in this article . . . Yep, those dang racists, dirty harry cops . . . Whateva. Even with all the threats toward the police in Ferguson, they still have care and compassion.

Pub: When are you going to address the fact that out of the approximately 400 perpetrators killed bu cops each year, approximately 300 are white and 100 are black. Yep, open season on blacks and cops targeting blacks. Whateva.

----------

An African-American boy holding a "Free Hugs" sign stood crying in front of a police barricade at a Ferguson rally in Portland. A white police officer motioned for him to come closer. The officer then asked the boy for a hug — and they embraced, the boy's anguished face streaming with tears.

http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/story/27517233/encounter-at-protest-leads-to-hug-for-boy-officer

Perhaps enuff calming time has now passed to invite the poster to respond to the content of the post, which is that...

The Guardian newspaper has banned the use of the phrase "black on black violence." The paper's Stylebook advocates a racial neutrality towards violence because it doesn't use any term such as "white on white violence." I would add what has been said already, that the term "black on black" violence is a slander against the vast majority of Black Americans....the great majority of Black Americans are law abiding citizens who whether rich or poor get painted by the broad and crude brush that the phrase is.

I'd state yet again that police in the US do the right thing 98% of the time in a profession that is tough, demanding, taxing. Still however there are people who completely deny the Dirty Harry Problem.

Police Officers and the Dirty Harry Problem

It is feared that the Dirty Harry Problem is now a widespread problem in

many police departments. Many say that these activities are being done not

only by police officers who are known as rotten apples but by even those

considered as best officers who are also respected by their peers . As

such, it is considered as the most threatening type of misconduct. It is

basically the idea deeply held by individuals who think that the ends

justify the means.

http://jasonquintal.com/police-officers-and-the-dirty-harry-problem/

Edited by Publicus

Pub:

The manner in which you use the terms whitey and red neck is racist . . . no different than someone using the terms nigger or nigga. True colors come shinning through.

The word is slang....its use is casual...I intend it to be a light term so you might want to lighten up and might start with this from the online urban dictionary.....biggrin.png

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=redneck

----------

Perhaps enuff calming time has now passed to invite the poster to respond to the content of the post, which is that...

The Guardian newspaper has banned the use of the phrase "black on black violence." The paper's Stylebook advocates a racial neutrality towards violence because it doesn't use any term such as "white on white violence." I would add what has been said already, that the term "black on black" violence is a slander against the vast majority of Black Americans....the great majority of Black Americans are law abiding citizens who whether rich or poor get painted by the broad and crude brush that the phrase is.

I'd state yet again that police in the US do the right thing 98% of the time in a profession that is tough, demanding, taxing. Still however there are people who completely deny the Dirty Harry Problem.

justify the means.

Lol, figured I would not get a response to the question asked. Not even close to answering any serious questions posed. You just repeated (almost in a cut and paste manner) bizarre stuff you previously posted multiple times that is completely non-responsive to the serious question posed. Total time waste and no credibility. Just like Obama and Holder won't speak facts and data that is actually contrary to their racial agendas. Never again will the American public fall for this stuff again and the protesting thugs, cop shooters and people like you will do nothing but rally the masses of law abiding, intelligent people to take their country back at the polls. Big changes coming in 2016 and I am thankful to Obama and Holder of showing their true colors so Americans won't be duped again for a long time.

• Like 2

Pub:

The manner in which you use the terms whitey and red neck is racist . . . no different than someone using the terms nigger or nigga. True colors come shinning through.

The word is slang....its use is casual...I intend it to be a light term so you might want to lighten up and might start with this from the online urban dictionary.....biggrin.png

I don't need any urban dictionary. My mother grew up in those hills and her parents lived the coal mine wars. My mother was a toddler when the wars took place. My grandfather was a businessman who wasn't in the wars, but many of his friends were.

They moved West during the Great Depression and I knew them and heard the stories. The coal mine wars was the first time they ever heard the term redneck and it applied to the miners with the red bandanas.

But you are using it to disparage a group you don't even know. I disagree that it is racist because it was whites calling themselves rednecks. But the way you use it now is certainly bigoted and hateful.

Those rednecks were the salt of the earth and their actions wouldn't be necessary today because labor laws would protect them.

I don't think you want to be a bigot so please stop sounding like one.

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 2

----------

justify the means.

Lol, figured I would not get a response to the question asked. Not even close to answering any serious questions posed. You just repeated (almost in a cut and paste manner) bizarre stuff you previously posted multiple times that is completely non-responsive to the serious question posed. Total time waste and no credibility. Just like Obama and Holder won't speak facts and data that is actually contrary to their racial agendas. Never again will the American public fall for this stuff again and the protesting thugs, cop shooters and people like you will do nothing but rally the masses of law abiding, intelligent people to take their country back at the polls. Big changes coming in 2016 and I am thankful to Obama and Holder of showing their true colors so Americans won't be duped again for a long time.

The post is not a response to my post, which is the issue concerning every post.

I present the specific issues, the poster ignores them to instead go off on his particular bents.

The pattern is one of avoidance behavior and denial through and through.

No rules are broken but neither is communication established.

Pub:

I don't need any urban dictionary. My mother grew up in those hills and her parents lived the coal mine wars. My mother was a toddler when the wars took place. My grandfather was a businessman who wasn't in the wars, but many of his friends were.

They moved West during the Great Depression and I knew them and heard the stories. The coal mine wars was the first time they ever heard the term redneck and it applied to the miners with the red bandanas.

But you are using it to disparage a group you don't even know. I disagree that it is racist because it was whites calling themselves rednecks. But the way you use it now is certainly bigoted and hateful.

Those rednecks were the salt of the earth and their actions wouldn't be necessary today because labor laws would protect them.

I am keen to confirm that I do indeed respect and appreciate completely the themes and realities you have posted, so I thank you for sharing them right down to your own personal life experience to include your grandparents.

Your posting is indeed quite apart and in fact opposite from the contemporary meaning of the word "redneck." There are of course different accounts of the etymology of the word redneck. So I think you do a service to inform and advise members that there may be a divergence to the meaning. My own thoughts include the consideration that just about everyone here is grown up and can handle divergences.

Here for instance is the link to the online Merriam-Webster dictionary and its only entry concerning the word....

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/redneck

And here are some other links to other divergences or other similar accounts as to the meaning and origin of the word....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redneck

http://thomaslegion.net/what_is_a_redneck_definition_origin_history_term.html

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/redneck

As I'd already posted, a little lightening up in these parts might work wonders.

Edited by Publicus

Pub:

I am keen to confirm that I do indeed respect and appreciate completely the themes and realities you have posted, so I thank you for sharing them right down to your own personal life experience to include your grandparents.

Your posting is indeed quite apart and in fact opposite from the contemporary meaning of the word "redneck." There are of course different accounts of the etymology of the word redneck. So I think you do a service to inform and advise members that there may be a divergence to the meaning. My own thoughts include the consideration that just about everyone here is grown up and can handle divergences.

Here for instance is the link to the online Merriam-Webster dictionary and its only entry concerning the word....

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/redneck

And here are some other links to other divergences or other similar accounts as to the meaning and origin of the word....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redneck

http://thomaslegion.net/what_is_a_redneck_definition_origin_history_term.html

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/redneck

As I'd already posted, a little lightening up in these parts might work wonders.

Well as I said, I had relatives who lived it. My mother was born in 1917. My grandparents were born in the 1800's and I knew them. I now of what I speak.

Regardless, it is bigoted to classify a group which might have diverse political opinions. It is bigoted to lump them into one group when you don't know them.

It would bigoted of me to even say "All Thais believe..." and then bash them all for one thing.

I would be proud to be called a redneck because my grandparents supported rednecks in what today would be a civil rights movement which you would support.

Peace.

• Like 2

President Obama has made himself clear. He is the president of the United States and he supports the police and the law enforcement authorities, the courts and judicial system, the laws.

People who ignore the 30 death threats a day against President Obama and his support of the constitution, the laws, the enforcers of the laws, definitively have their own agenda.

Police throughout the United States do the right thing 98% of the time. Here's an instance in which one lone single police officer did the absolutely wrong thing.....

Police Sergeant Who Posted Bullet-Riddled Image Of Obama, Suspended And Demoted

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/29/pat-shearer-demoted-obama_n_1311461.html

Barack Obama faces 30 death threats a day, stretching US Secret ServiceUS President Barack Obama is the target of more than 30 potential death threats a day and is being protected by an increasingly over-stretched and under-resourced Secret Service, according to a new book.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/barackobama/5967942/Barack-Obama-faces-30-death-threats-a-day-stretching-US-Secret-Service.html

Barack Obama, the 44th President of the United States, has been the target of several assassination attempts and alleged plots since he first became a presidential candidate in 2007. Secret Service protection for Obama began after the Senator received a death threat in 2007, while serving as the junior Senator of Illinois and running for president. This marked the earliest time a candidate received such protection before being nominated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassination_threats_against_Barack_Obama

Obama: No justification for murder of NYC police

By Josh Lederman Associated Press

HONOLULU (AP) — President Barack Obama says he unconditionally condemns the murder of two police officers shot in broad daylight on Saturday in New York.

Obama says there's no justification for the slayings. He says police officers risk their own safety to serve and protect their communities and that they deserve the public's respect and gratitude.

Obama is asking Americans to reject violence and harmful words. He's encouraging people instead to embrace words that heal, and to seek out prayer and sympathy for the victims' relatives

http://www.yorkdispatch.com/news/ci_27180762/obama-no-justification-murder-nyc-police.html

Edited by Publicus

President Obama has made himself clear. He is the president of the United States and he supports the police and the law enforcement authorities, the courts and judicial system, the laws.

<snip>

"he supports the police and the law enforcement authorities, the courts and judicial system, the laws."

I wouldn't suggest you try and sell that bridge about supporting law enforcement and the laws to most Border Patrol Officers.

They very likely have differing opinions.

• Like 2

Both are basically racist insults.

So just what race is a redneck?

It is only evident on white or Hispanic people so my guess would be those races.

The term is used derogatorily by those who consider themselves liberal elites. Most of the liberal elites have advanced educational qualifications (and little common sense) and generally consider themselves to be a cut above normal.

They usually consider anybody born and raised south of the Mason/Dixon line as being an uneducated red neck hillbilly...along with anybody born above the Mason/Dixon line that votes Republican.

In general, they are snobs.

As for me, I'm just a dumb old country boy from Texas...who would much rather have a red neck standing beside me in a fight than some Ivy League graduate.

Oh, so they aren't a race. Then I guess it can't be a racial insult.

Both are basically racist insults.

So just what race is a redneck?

It is only evident on white or Hispanic people so my guess would be those races.

The term is used derogatorily by those who consider themselves liberal elites. Most of the liberal elites have advanced educational qualifications (and little common sense) and generally consider themselves to be a cut above normal.

They usually consider anybody born and raised south of the Mason/Dixon line as being an uneducated red neck hillbilly...along with anybody born above the Mason/Dixon line that votes Republican.

In general, they are snobs.

As for me, I'm just a dumb old country boy from Texas...who would much rather have a red neck standing beside me in a fight than some Ivy League graduate.

Oh, so they aren't a race. Then I guess it can't be a racial insult.

Most white men would consider it a racial insult. Most black men would not. Ergo, it is a racial insult in the eyes of some. Not in the eyes of others.

Not really very complicated is it.

That this development occurred during Prez Obama's watch is positive and encouraging. It brings to the surface cultural and socio-economic realities that most people haven't ever seen on television or in the MSM whether broadcast or print. It brings out into the open air and sunlight topics and people that had always been a national undercurrent or even an undertow.

And it poses new questions to explore. Questions such as were there any rednecks at the Washington march? At the Ferguson protests and civil disorder? Can cops be rednecks? What do the Rev Al Sharpton and Rush Limbaugh have in common, if anything? Can a Muslim be a redneck? Can a redneck originate from Canada and be elected to the United States Senate?

New dimensions of understanding and a higher level of discourse.

The 10 Most Hilarious Redneck Reality TV Shows
k4dtlbwctud7woccihhj.jpg

With the second season of Hillbilly Handfishin', a show devoted to men who capture catfish with their bare hands, and sometimes feet, premiering this Sunday on Animal Planet, we think it's time to acknowledge what we've been unwilling to admit: We are in the throes of a full-fledged redneck reality TV epidemic.

Enter the blue-collared, backwoods folks, who make an honest living using their hands alone, trudging through muck and mire, with a dialect so difficult to understand that some shows even include subtitles. Instead of ignoring America's down-home population, reality TV has embraced them, trading cities for swamps and bleached veneers for missing front teeth. It all kind of makes you feel superior, doesn't it?

We're not threatened by people we've deemed (often erroneously) hillbillies, backwoods, and redneck—we're entertained by them. And that's the point, right? Leave it to Hollywood to play with our desire to feel all high and mighty! Luckily, the byproduct in this shift means less entitled 1% types on our television sets and more "good ol' boys and girls" whose work ethic we can at least respect. No elitists here; these are The 10 Most Hilarious Redneck Reality TV Shows,y'all!

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2012/07/the-10-most-hilarious-redneck-reality-tv-shows/

My friend, please knock off the rednecks bit. That term has been hijacked by intolerant people and is virtually synonymous with hillbilly. Neither term will bring people together but rather quite the opposite. Gratuitous name calling never helps.

Indeed.

Sounds like reverse discrimination to this poster.thumbsup.gif

• Like 2