Corruption suppression most tangible achievement of Prayut govt

Lite Beer

I wonder if the poll was multiple choice answers with just the three choices

Q. What's the most tangible achievement of our fearless leader? Is it;

1) Corruption suppression

2) Drug suppression

3) Efforts to 'rebuild' harmony with his wonderful Friday show

You have 5 seconds to answer

How about corruption in the military.. The Great Leader and mosty fo his cronies (LT-Gen and the rest of them) who now run Thailand under a military junta (i.e. NLA) and martial law are all extremely rich on the base pay of the military... something very fishy here...

• Like 1

What have they actually done? It's a very serious question but how many top officials have been convicted of corruption and had either jail sentences handed down which they are now serving (not out on bail) and how many have had their proceeds from corruption (personal property etc) seized and auctioned off as an example.
Absolute joke of a survey because in the last few months we've seen a policeman spend hundreds of millions of baht of his legally obtained money invested into the stock market and other massive business ventures. I don't buy this BS 1 bit, and I doubt many others would either

• Like 1

'Corruption suppression most tangible achievement of the Prayuth govt', ah, really not much good to say about it then...

'Tangible achievement'! Used three kleenexes wiping off my tears of laughter...

The most crazy bit is that you will have some underdevelopped bonobos believing it all... But you have others of the same level still believing in Thaksin, so...

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Most or 46 per cent ........ alt=ermm.gif> alt=huh.png>

Yeah, Thai's don't seem to have worked out that 46% is not "the most" or "the majority", same as with the last elections.

A very clever 'fruit salad' of truth - apples and oranges. Thailand's PM is not directly elected by the public but rather selected by the House of Parliament ministers. In the 2011 election there were 500 seats of which the PTP won 275 seats or 53% majority versus the Democrats 159 seats or 32% minority. Politicos call that a LANDSLIDE victory. And so it followed that as its party standard bearer, Yingluck was elected by the House as PM.

Some nice facts and figures there, thank you.

I should have been clearer, I was referring to the less than 50% of the eligible voters that PTP received in the last elections, but then continually claimed they had the majority vote of the people.

Technically they had received the "majority" (as a single party) of all votes cast, but that did not equate (as they claimed) that the "majority" of the people voted for them and therefore they had the people's mandate to do as they wished.

Actually they received 265 seats, which still is a majority of course. They indeed "only" received 48.41% of party list votes, but it is pretty important to point out that this isn't the whole story. they were pretty successful in securing enough constituency seats to come to 265 seats, which IS a majority which doens't need nitpicking at all.

And yes they certainly had the people's mandate, there is no way this can even be put into doubt. The mandate doesn't come from the Party list votes, but from the number of seats in parliament. Not to mention that the Yingluck governement was a coaltion governement with 300 seats, representing 53% of popular vote, which again is a clear majority.

What exactly is the mandate that the current governement received ?

Edited by sjaak327

Actually they received 265 seats, which still is a majority of course. They indeed "only" received 48.41% of party list votes, but it is pretty important to point out that this isn't the whole story. they were pretty successful in securing enough constituency seats to come to 265 seats, which IS a majority which doens't need nitpicking at all.

And yes they certainly had the people's mandate, there is no way this can even be put into doubt. The mandate doesn't come from the Party list votes, but from the number of seats in parliament. Not to mention that the Yingluck governement was a coaltion governement with 300 seats, representing 53% of popular vote, which again is a clear majority.

What exactly is the mandate that the current governement received ?

PTP got 44% of the constituency seat vote and 48% of the party list vote. Neither of those are a majority and neither is more than 50% of the popular vote.

Since you can win a constituency seat with less than 50% of the vote, they were able to get more than 50% of the seats. They won some of those constituency seats with as little as 30% of the vote.

The definition of "mandate" seems to be pretty fluid, but I like to think that you get a mandate when more people vote for you than vote against you.

Of course this idea that one should win with an absolute majority comes from places where votes are a two horse race. By definition, if it is more than two candidates it is feasible to win with 33.4% of the votes.

I don't understand why people get their nickers in such a twist about it. The system is first past the post with multiple parties.

In acuality getting 48% of the vote in that context is a very strong performance.

48% of the vote with 40 parties participating...

You could call that 'multiple parties' :)

• Like 1

Another misleading headline and story. Headline.... 46% of leaders of 629 communities saw corruption suppression was the most tangable .......

Story line ...46% of respondents cited corruption suppression as the most tangable.....

Here in "red" country aka Isaan, I have not seen any change. Police still doing their "road blockade" checks. Village chief still with his hand out etc. So I wonder where all the change is? Maybe it's all in BKK????

Another misleading headline and story. Headline.... 46% of leaders of 629 communities saw corruption suppression was the most tangable .......

Story line ...46% of respondents cited corruption suppression as the most tangable.....

Here in "red" country aka Isaan, I have not seen any change. Police still doing their "road blockade" checks. Village chief still with his hand out etc. So I wonder where all the change is? Maybe it's all in BKK????

It sure ain't referring to his personal benefits from his daddy's 600 million baht land deal!

I can't say there has been any suppression of corruption in my particular town....same old regular tea money stops...more in fact than before...they have done some drink driving stops which are new....these are conducted with the army....a number of acquaintances have had to fork out up to 5000...

One gets the feeling that with the Pongpat scandal that it is a one off rather than the start of some fundamental attack on corruption. Having said that the Transparency International data improved (well didn't deteriorate) during the last spell of military rule, so maybe there is something to the poll.

48% of the vote with 40 parties participating...

You could call that 'multiple parties' smile.png

Saying 40 parties participated doesn't mean much when you look at the numbers.

Only 8 parties ran for constituency seats, with 3 getting 1.2%, 0.9% and 0.4%. 31 parties got less than 3% in total of the party list vote.

that's logic for ya.

The winner of the race beat 39 other runners, but that doesn't mean much, look at the other guys, a whole bunch of them finished at the back of the pack.

clap2.gif Good job WB

It's not that hard to beat 32 of those "runners" when they didn't have any constituency contestants.

The fight against corruption will have absolutely no long term effect, nor benefit to the country, if there is no follow up plan. Following up is something this government has been very weak on. Same goes for convictions. Arrests mean little, if they do not result in convictions, with convincing sentences, and massive fines, in line with the levels of corruption the arrest pertained to. What about the recent bigs that were arrested? When are they going to trial? What about the red bull murderer? When is he going to trial? Show us, do not tell us. We want to see action that is followed up by demonstrable results. Then change can happen.

• Like 1