Thank goodness for Chiang Mai.

Just1Voice

I love CM

Yes, I like Chiang Mai but I hate the motorbikes. Specially hate the farangs who come here using big motorbikes, don't wear helmets and scare the living daylights out of me as they roar past on their machines. I think they should show some respect for us quiet people on bicycles.

You sound too prim and proper for Chiang Mai.

I have been here six years .......

So your signature must be a joke then, because why would you spend so much time on the computer and Internet when CM is heaven??

I don't mind CM, but it is still too small for me—I felt like I was living in a big neighborhood after a year, and the mountains didn't help. I also believe you are mistaken when it comes to attitude.

I love BKK now, because the people here are wonderful—not the "big smoke" stereotype that gets sold in the media, etc.—and the magnitude makes being here feel like a true adventure.

But, then again, I have always loved cities. I love the country too, but not to live in just yet.

Have a good one!

We have lived in CM for many years. Moved from BKK to Phuket to Sukothai thence to CM. It is a great province: places like Mae On and Omkoi. The problem, inevitably, is that one becomes nostalgic to some extent for 'what it used to be like'! Phuket 30 years ago etc. The traffic drives me mad, the schools are not wonderful, I don't like the smoke, the housing estates depress me and I don't care if I never go into another mall ever again! Rimping probably the best supermarkets in the country. And we spend a fortune in the flower market! The variety of birds, the open roads, Huay Tung Tao are great. I think though , now, there are places to live maybe with fewer facilities but much better ambience. I prefer to have an airport handy so not Nong Khai and Mahasarakham nor Hua Hin/Cha Am but Nan, Krabi, Nakhon Phanom, even Ubon; all an hour on the plane to BKK. I suppose grass always greener somewhere? And for a choice Newcastle is the best UK city? H'm!!

Indeed—malls and moo-bans (sorry for the misspelling) get old real quick.