Thank goodness for Chiang Mai.

Just1Voice

Fantastic post !!!!!!! I have not yet been to Chiang Mai but hope to visit soon . I wanted to start near the ocean but I have traveled to Uhdon Thani , Burriram, and Khon Kaen . I seem to like the laid back feeling of Buriram but Khon Kaen just seemed to have nothing there.

OP, thanks for your glowing appreciation of this, our adopted new "home town." Even though it's in a never-ending boom town cycle, you don't get the feeling of being hustled.

This morning I saw a guy riding a classic black BMW R69 from the late 60's, which to me is the ultimate all time lovely bike. Haven't seen a Vincent Black Shadow here yet, or an Ariel Square Four.

There's 20 or so parked in front of the Orchid hotel in Huay Keow Rd. (11:30) All large, some 3-wheelers. Mixed makes from Harleys and on.

But there's no beach there.No islands nearby.

So? Is that the only thing that makes a city a good place to live? I love the beach, but I decided to live in Chiang Mai because it has a charm that no beach area in Thailand has.

• Like 1

I agree ...I love hanging out by the beach and Chiangmai is an easy flight to those destinations

Unfortunately the beach while attracting families & nice folks also seems to attract the riff raff that spoils the place the ambience and the entire city .....with their thuggish behavior

I'll stick to the mountains ...calms people down.

• Like 1

I love CM

Yes, I like Chiang Mai but I hate the motorbikes. Specially hate the farangs who come here using big motorbikes, don't wear helmets and scare the living daylights out of me as they roar past on their machines. I think they should show some respect for us quiet people on bicycles.

You sound too prim and proper for Chiang Mai.

• Like 1

I say thank God I don't live in CM. It is surrounded by mountains, hence not much air flow, hence a lot of air pollution. And then you have frequent earthquakes. Not to speak of the terrible traffic. Those of you who are drooling over CM are probably going about the town on motorbykes and cars. You should get off your modern horses and walk around the city on foot and then you can tell us how good CM is.

• Like 1

So? Is that the only thing that makes a city a good place to live? I love the beach, but I decided to live in Chiang Mai because it has a charm that no beach area in Thailand has.

Just to add to Oryx816, there are plenty of lakes to sit around including the great Huay Tung Tao Lake nothing better than sitting on one of the platforms eating, drinking and relaxing whilst watching the children play in the lake.

• Like 1

Those of you who are drooling over CM are probably going about the town on motorbykes and cars. You should get off your modern horses and walk around the city on foot and then you can tell us how good CM is.

It sounds like walking around is unpleasant for you.. And yet you advise everyone to do the thing which you dislike..

Maybe the very reason we dont do that, is because its not ideal..

I live in Phuket and have told my foster daughter when she's old enough (13 now), we'll move to Chiang Mai, I even have a house picked out for us, I'm just bideing time here in Phuket until that wonderful time comes for both of us!

"No beaches or islands." Trust me, there's much more to life than beaches & islands. Try some nice mountains for a change, if you're not too lazy.

"And then you have frequent earthquakes." In 7 years I've only felt one minor one.

"Not to speak of the terrible traffic." Please name me one major city that doesn't have traffic problems. The last US city I lived in was Phoenix, and during rush hour, on the freeways, you had time to shut the car off and read "War & Peace". lol

"...and walk around the city on foot" Been there, done that, more times than I can count. Loved it

"Specially hate the farangs who come here using big motorbikes, don't wear helmets and scare the living daylights out of me." I think if you did just the minimum of research, you would find those people are mostly tourists. Every farang I know who has a "big bike", not only wears a helmet, but other protective gear as well, and save the "need for speed' for the highways, not in the city.

I never said CM was "perfect". If it was, people like you wouldn't be here. (lol) But it is about as "perfect" as it can get for many, many of us, including me and most of my farang friends.

But, let's be honest, no matter how good something may be, there are always going to be those who can find things to complain and bitch about. My advice, with all due respect, is if you don't like it here - MOVE!

This is my home, this is where I will spend the rest of my life (short as it may be), and will be happy doing so.

• Like 2

What about the air pollution in CM which is the worst in the country. Do you think your health will suffer and could it lead to a serious disease? Has anyone done any research into that ?

Thanks to Just1Voice for putting into words something I have thought myself for the past 5 years.

It is very refreshing to read a comment like yours, straight from the heart, no malice, no bs, just kind words about a great place to live.

My wife and I are in the process of building a house at Saraphee, near the river, and feel it will be the ideal place to raise our kids.

It is not just a beautiful city with surrounds to match but the people are very kind and friendly. We have made some good friends in the last five years who are more like family to us.

Hope I meet you one day. biggrin.png

• Like 1

But, let's be honest, no matter how good something may be, there are always going to be those who can find things to complain and bitch about. My advice, with all due respect, is if you don't like it here - MOVE!

This is my home, this is where I will spend the rest of my life (short as it may be), and will be happy doing so.

"...if you don't like it here - MOVE!"

That phrase - or something similar - has often been said.

To the bitchers and bashers it couldn't be said often enough.

Thanks for one of the best posts I've read on TV in a long time. I've only lived in CM for a little over a year, but I absolutely love it here. For me, it has pretty much everything. I'm more of a city boy that a country kid, and Chiang Mai has just enough city to keep me happy without being overly congested. Yes, the traffic is getting bad, especially during "rush hour", but I've learned to just stay off the street between 3:30 and 5:30. But the people are some of the friendliest of anywhere I've been in Thailand, and, as others have noted, there's just an atmosphere that is welcoming. I live in the Chang Puak area, and just about everything I might need is within a five minute walk. Thais still smile at a farang, and are very congenial. The countryside is a ten to fifteen minute ride away, and road trips are a joy. I have been privileged to visit a lot of Thailand, but Chiang Mai is now my home, and I have zero desire to go anywhere else.

• Like 2

Sensible advice, but if the moaners did take your advice it is really just moving the problem to another area, for someone else to listen to.

Not too many foreigners are forced to live in Thailand but a lot of them devote way too much time complaining about the country, the people, customs, religion etc.

I believe if they died and went to heaven they would complain about the bloody harp music. biggrin.png

• Like 2

Sensible advice, but if the moaners did take your advice it is really just moving the problem to another area, for someone else to listen to.

Not too many foreigners are forced to live in Thailand but a lot of them devote way too much time complaining about the country, the people, customs, religion etc.

I believe if they died and went to heaven they would complain about the bloody harp music. biggrin.png

Rectal feeding Thai-bashers and complaining misfits have always been here.

The problem is that nowadays there are a lot more of them, and they are making more noise.

• Like 1

Chiang Mai Beach.......Huay Teung Tao. Small reservoir, swimming, a beach of sorts.. just not salty and the only sharks are drinking beer in the huts. We ride our bicycles around there 3 times a week. Fantastically clean, uncrowded and motivating.

Who says no Beach????

and you can sit anywhere you like, no vendors hassling you. 10 minutes away.

You will not miss the salt water at all.

Edited by slipperylobster
  • Like 1

Look, let's be honest. Someplace that is loved by some is not so loved by others. That's just human nature. To the CM naysayers, hey, you can leave. I promise we won't miss you.

To me, you couldn't pay me enough to live in BKK, Pattaya, Phukett, etc, but there are those who live in those places and love them. Everyone is different. But I'm willing to bet there are more people who love CM than those who don't. My biggest, and about only, complaint is dealing with Imm now. Same number of staff as 7 years ago, but triple the number of people they have to work with. I actually feel somewhat sorry for them, and just deal with it when I have to, which will be next month for my annual Retirement Extension.

One of the things I loved (well, still do) is the fact that from my house, I can be on Hwy 11 in 10 minutes, then go anywhere south or east that I want, which came in handy when I was still able to ride my CBR. With the exceptions of going to Pai and Chiang Rai, I love the mountain roads up here for bike travel. And one of the most notable things I've seen here are the cloud formations. I wish I had the talent and skill to be a good photographer. I'd put out some coffee table books called "The Clouds of Chiang Mai".

I guess the main thing is, wherever you live, or choose to live, be happy. Find the good, ignore or deal with the not so good.

• Like 2

Chiang Mai Beach.......Huay Teung Tao. Small reservoir, swimming, a beach of sorts.. just not salty and the only sharks are drinking beer in the huts. We ride our bicycles around there 3 times a week. Fantastically clean, uncrowded and motivating.

Who says no Beach????

and you can sit anywhere you like, no vendors hassling you. 10 minutes away.

You will not miss the salt water at all.

No, and you won't miss the scum that floats on it either.

Thailand should put a fence around CM, hang a sign on it in all its residents' languages noting that CM is "just like your home back home" and in Thai saying to go in at your peril.

Please, all foreigners, settle in CM. Then, the rest of we few can enjoy the real Thailand instead of the CM which is a little Westwood, LA, USA.

OP, thanks for your glowing appreciation of this, our adopted new "home town." Even though it's in a never-ending boom town cycle, you don't get the feeling of being hustled.

This morning I saw a guy riding a classic black BMW R69 from the late 60's, which to me is the ultimate all time lovely bike. Haven't seen a Vincent Black Shadow here yet, or an Ariel Square Four.