Thank goodness for Chiang Mai.

Just1Voice

Great post J1V.

I understand exactly what you mean.

Pity you had to sell your bikes. Mine give me so much pleasure.

Keep enjoying CM and everything it offers.

Oorah.

Thanks. As for the bike, I'm riding a Forza now, but hopefully, if things go right, I'll be able to buy a new 300 CBR, or perhaps the 500cc CBf, in about 6 months, then I'll be off doing what I love best - Road Trips!. lol. My wife asked me when I'll stop doing road trips. I told her I'll stop when I can no longer lift my leg over the seat to get on the bike. She just shook her head and walked away, muttering something about "stubborn farang Marines". lol

Good to hear you still ride and I hope you get that bigger bike down the line.

My wife's given up on me. She asks why I need so many bikes...and I ran out of "one for every day of the week" a few bikes ago.

You should have gone to the Chiang Mia custom bike show last night...some really nice bikes. Here's a few to make you drool...

Enjoy.

post-21832-0-25909200-1418540172_thumb.j

post-21832-0-45563600-1418540209_thumb.j

post-21832-0-92190500-1418540261_thumb.j

post-21832-0-99824400-1418540285_thumb.j

post-21832-0-22838600-1418540299_thumb.j

post-21832-0-14458900-1418540346_thumb.j

• Like 2

OP, thanks for your glowing appreciation of this, our adopted new "home town." Even though it's in a never-ending boom town cycle, you don't get the feeling of being hustled.

This morning I saw a guy riding a classic black BMW R69 from the late 60's, which to me is the ultimate all time lovely bike. Haven't seen a Vincent Black Shadow here yet, or an Ariel Square Four.

• Like 1

I arrived for the first time last Sunday, I feel a very similar feeling, its such a different energy to anywhere else in thailand.. laid back, people are friendly (both farangs and thais), 10 minute ride from the centre of the city and you are amongst rice paddies and cows with rolling mountains as a back drop, and it caters for all tastes in terms of quality of life, you can go from ultra luxurious to basic, its great, I like the art around the city too.. just so different to anywhere else Ive been. I hope to set Chiang Mai as my base in life

I got off the train and there, in the train station, realized I had arrived at my new home. I had only come by chance on a visit. I've never regretted a day since I moved to CM six years ago.

• Like 2

Thanks for your post. In my 13 trips, I have never been to the north of Thailand, just to the eastern parts and the south. I may have to visit CM on my next trip, as I have seen my familiar spots really becoming unpleasant in many ways. In fact, after recent events on KT and other places, I was thinking of not coming again.

CM is a must visit during this time of year. It does get relatively quiet at night, but I like that. I've lived in massive cities for years and had zero incidents. This was outside of Thailand, and I've had many friends growing up that helped me a lot. In fact, in my home country, the only jerks are the ones driving their cars. Everyone else is relatively nice, no problems. I honestly think most cities are very, very similar. It's what you DO in those cities that change you. CM allows me to get away without the feel of BKK. good for me, maybe bad for 19 year old kid. I also met one couple that loved, absolutely loved CM.....but there were there only 1 day and went on overnight camping with foreigners. So, trust me, it's not 100% the city....it's YOU. So good for the OP to be happy.

Isn't it great to see something POSITIVE about our beautiful city?

Continue to enjoy it as I have over the years with my wife and our daughter. We spent some time overseas but decided CNX is a wonderful place to retire and for our daughter to attend my wife's Old School and later, the same University.

• Like 2

Welcome home. I've lived in CM for close to 30 years and have no desire to live anywhere else.

Thailand is still very much the Land of Smiles. Learn Thai, adapt to the culture, accept Thailand (and Chiang Mai) and the Lanna culture for what it is, and enjoy life here. wai2.gif

• Like 1

It took me a bit longer. It took 3 whole days before I found myself saying "I could live in this place." I then had to ask "Why?". I loved the history. I loved the Asian chaos. But upon reflection, it was mostly the people.

That was 12 years ago. For the past 8 years I have lived up-country in CM province, but have never lost my deep affection for CM city, despite all the changes and incredible growth in traffic etc in that time. Thanks to the OP for putting a lot of my feelings into words.

After 9 years on Phuket and experienced extended sojourns in the usual hua hin, bkk, samui, etc places.. Was suffering bad tourist thailand burnout.. Really thinking about packing it in and heading back to the west..

Random trip up here was such a relief.. Went back to Phuket lasted about a fortnight before coming back for another month.. Made the choice and moved.. Best decision I made in my Thailand time.

Yes the traffic can be mad downtown (but I ride a bike so less effect) yes theres a smog season.. But the people are so easy going, not one bit of conflict in the last 4 years, when on Phuket it felt like once a week.. Amazing eateries and foodstuffs.. Superb markets from thai style wet markets to imported luxuries... world class riding..

Right now its got the lot.

Great post J1V.

Oorah.

Thanks. As for the bike, I'm riding a Forza now, but hopefully, if things go right, I'll be able to buy a new 300 CBR, or perhaps the 500cc CBf, in about 6 months, then I'll be off doing what I love best - Road Trips!. lol. My wife asked me when I'll stop doing road trips. I told her I'll stop when I can no longer lift my leg over the seat to get on the bike. She just shook her head and walked away, muttering something about "stubborn farang Marines". lol

Just done a 2700 + km trip on my Forza, they potter along nicely :)

Thanks for the post. After 2.5 years of living in Pattaya, it is now time to explore other areas. I am going to check out Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai soon to see how I like the areas, and to determine if I want to move there.

• Like 1

Great post J1V.

Oorah.

Just done a 2700 + km trip on my Forza, they potter along nicely smile.png

I did a trip to Lampang and back with a friend riding his bike along with me. Forza is very good on highways, but hard for me in city traffic because of the size and weight, and the fact that the stroke took my leg strength from me. Getting better, but still a ways to go yet.

I've yet to visit the CM region yet and will, in time. However I was speaking with a Brit mate just a day ago who has spent decades in and out of Thailand. He'd decided to relocate from Nong Khai to CM earlier this year but was put off by the huge influx of Chinese tourists and the resultant difficulty of obtaining long term accommodation, eg on a monthly basis. Other than that problem, he enjoyed his time but missed the quieter atmosphere of our north-eastern Nong Khai province. Well worth a visit for those disenchanted with the likes of Pattaya and Phuket. Enjoy the festive season all........

Thanks for the post. After 2.5 years of living in Pattaya, it is now time to explore other areas. I am going to check out Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai soon to see how I like the areas, and to determine if I want to move there.

When I was researching the differences between Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai to choose which to live in, one startling difference was when I overlaid the rainfall charts of the two. Chiang Rai gets about twice the rainfall that Chiang Mai. But Chiang Mai can be deceiving in that different parts of the city experience different amounts of rainfall, due to the influence of the mountains and prevailing winds I expect.