Question about Kasikorn Banks ATM Card's

Kasikorn appears to have multiple different ATM Cards, the one closest to the fee that you mention paying (800 Baht) would be this one, K-Max MRT Debit Card:

http://www.kasikornbank.com/EN/Personal/Debit/Pages/K-Max%20MRT%20Debit%20Card.aspx

which as the link above indicates would have a replacement fee of 250 Baht. By the way, your ongoing annual maintenance fee should only be 550 Baht (800 Baht the first year).

Of course, whether this is the correct answer depends on whether you indeed have a K-Max MRT Debit Card or one of other less expensive Debit cards Kasikorn offers:

http://www.kasikornbank.com/EN/Personal/Debit/Pages/Debit.aspx

which contains links to the other Debit cards offered by Kasikorn.

Edited by skatewash

Kasikorn Bank charge 800 Baht a year for your ATM Card,

No, they charge 800B/year for your ATM card. For mine they charge 200B/year.

Make sure you spend the 600 Baht wisely. Easy to be Sarcastic sitting behind your keyboard.

No sarcasm involved. Just accuracy. All over the world banking is full of deliberately misleading information and mis-selling, and it pays to read the small print and not blindly trust the person behind the counter.

As for the 600B I certainly will be careful with it. I always am careful with money, which is probably why I still have quite a lot of it.

This is the one with 5.000 baht accident insurance and up to 200.000 baht life insurance.

I Have a sme debit card which i renewed in september at the cost of 800 baht and the insurance i was told is not for Farangs only Thai's ??? any information if i am wrong would be welcome thanks

anyways, back on topic anyone?

I went into the big Kasikorn bank near Tuk Com on Pattaya Tai road to open an account on an ED Visa last week, and they said no problems, just need to have 5000 B on hand to deposit.

So when I finally get through the line up and sit down at the desk, the first thing he tells me is there is an upfront fee of 3300 B (not a deposit!) to get myself a debit card and accident insurance!

I show him my Platinum Bupa insurance card and say no thanks, and he says "Thats not our insurance, you need our insurance" - <deleted>? Why the *bleep* do I need my savings account's insurance? In case I break a nail when making a withdrawal from their ATM?

I'm gonna shell out another 120 bucks for a piece of plastic I'll never use?

Get stuffed. I haven't tried Bangkok bank yet, anyone know if they've got these same sorts of cute little fees??

I went into the big Kasikorn bank near Tuk Com on Pattaya Tai road to open an account on an ED Visa last week, and they said no problems, just need to have 5000 B on hand to deposit.

So when I finally get through the line up and sit down at the desk, the first thing he tells me is there is an upfront fee of 3300 B (not a deposit!) to get myself a debit card and accident insurance!

I show him my Platinum Bupa insurance card and say no thanks, and he says "Thats not our insurance, you need our insurance" - <deleted>? Why the *bleep* do I need my savings account's insurance? In case I break a nail when making a withdrawal from their ATM?

Get stuffed. I haven't tried Bangkok bank yet, anyone know if they've got these same sorts of cute little fees??

Try Kasikorn in Central. In fact all the bank branches in Central seem to be good bets for farangs wanting to open accounts. I can recommend the Kasikorn and TMB branches there based on personal experience, and the CIMB branch near View Talay 5 and KrungSri branch near View Talay 7 (both in Jomtien) also based on personal experience.

The details of a Kasikorn savings account are given here (same requirements for all branches nationwide):

http://www.kasikornbank.com/EN/Personal/BankAccounts/Saving/Pages/SavingDeposits.aspx

The opening balance is 500B. There are no opening fees and no charges (for normal use). Insurance is not required. Cards are optional and the basic ATM card costs 200B as mentioned above.

• Like 1

All this year I see quite a few posts where many K-bank branches seem to be pushing some type of insurance to open a bank account. And when I say pushing, I mean a hard sell making it sound mandatory versus a soft attempt/optional offer to accompany some product such as the bank account....usually worthless insurance considering the accompanying terms and conditions of the insurance where you have to have the accident or death in just the right way, day of the week, etc., to make a claim.

All this year I see quite a few posts where many K-bank branches seem to be pushing some type of insurance to open a bank account. And when I say pushing, I mean a hard sell making it sound mandatory versus a soft attempt/optional offer to accompany some product such as the bank account....usually worthless insurance considering the accompanying terms and conditions of the insurance where you have to have the accident or death in just the right way, day of the week, etc., to make a claim.

Exactly! They sure do push it at the big K branch near on the cnr beside Tuk Com!

Yesterday I went to the Bangkok Bank branch on Jom Tien 2nd road, beside the 7 Eleven at the cnr of soi 7.

No such attempts were made to sell any insurance there, in fact, the elderly gentleman who got served in front of me was on a tourist visa, his Filipino wife was also, and he got an account no problems as well.

She didn't seem to give much care to what kind of visa I was on, I'm pretty sure she even giggled a tiny bit when I mentioned I was on an ED Visa, as if she laughed at the thought of that being a concern!

Terms:

500 Baht opening account balance, 300 baht ATM card fee - which has a 5 year exp. date - a few minutes for them to enter in all your information, and you walk out smiling with a crisp fresh bank book and a Visa Debit card.

I couldn't be happier, especially seeing as Bangkok Bank seems to be the best for international banking with it's New York branch, and others around the world.

I've already set up internet banking and got their App on my iPad. Looks great.

I've open two accounts this year , one at Bangkok Bank and one at Krungsri Bank, where I wanted a debit card to go along with the new account. In each case the rep at each bank opening my account asked if I wanted insurance or card XYZ which came with insurance. I said, "No, I have plenty of insurance already...I just want the regular, low cost debit card." The reps then continued to open the account and gave me the card I wanted...no hard sell insurance or pricey debit card tactics like these Kbank related posts I seen frequently this year.

This is a scam they try on farangs at some branches because the staff get commision from it. . You can ask for a normal savings account, no fees to open and you deposit 800 baht. Ask to speak to the manager , even better telephone Kasikorn customer service while you're there and hand the phone over to the staff. Its even written on the Kasikorn website in English the rules for opening an account.

I have 3 accounts but never been asked to buy an insurance.

Edited by balo

It is not so much a matter of "pushing" or trying to sell you insurance - the problem is that the staff just flat out lie. Went to Korat for a replacement ATM card and was told 800 Baht when I advised them I knew the actual replacement cost and was not interested in any insurance they told me the only cards they had available were the 800 Baht type. I was told I would have to come back after the first of the year and "maybe" plain cards will be available.

This entire ATM situation is just nothing but a scam and it is going on all over Thailand. I worry that if a bank will try to scam a customer out of 800 baht what will happen if there is a big problem. Hard to imagine Kasikorn doing the right thing.

Does anyone know the correct agency to lodge a complaint? My career was in finance and I can tell you that this is way over the line.

Does anyone know the correct agency to lodge a complaint? My career was in finance and I can tell you that this is way over the line.

The Bank of Thailand Financial Consumer Center: Link

Thanks for the link. To lodge a complaint they need a Certified copy of a passport That may be more trouble than changing banks. I already sent an email to Kasikorn so for now I will see what response I receive.

The Bank of Thailand Financial Consumer Center: Link

Thanks for the link. To lodge a complaint they need a Certified copy of a passport That may be more trouble than changing banks. I already sent an email to Kasikorn so for now I will see what response I receive.

That just means that "you sign the copy of the passport." Just like when you give a copy of your passport to immigration for an extension or something, like when the bank makes a copy of your passport when doing a counter withdrawal. Just sign the copy you provide. It's also called self certification.