Koh Samui to Surat Thani airport in motorbike

Hello

I live in Samui

I have a flight to take at Surat Thani. We are 2.

I like doing motorbike. Is the trip doable? Can I let my motorbike at Surat Thani airport?

I guess with GPS it's ok to find it?

I know we can take the buses. Why not. But is it possible to do it in motorbike?

Thanks!

Not hard at all, but lousy weather right now, might make it a miserable ride ... depending on when you plan to do!

Try doing to bypass route around Surrat city ... I doubt parking would be a problem... usually not at these types of places (ferry terminals for sure)

Has anyone parked at the Airport?

https://www.google.com/maps/@9.1145012,99.173628,14z

Edited by samuijimmy

Ok, I take my bike to Surat airport all the time.

Best route for me is to take the normal route to Surat but turn left on to Highway 44 to Krabi ( about 30km from Donsak) and go for about 38km and turn North on Highway 41 and in 25km you are at the airport. Airport is right on highway 41 so hard to get lost. No worries with traffic lights or crazy traffic on either highway.

Parking is free, easy and relatively safe as the airport is in fact an Air Force base. I always lock my bike with a cable and lock just in case.

Hope this helps.

Hi Jimmy, they have a couple of the new Saab Grippens there and have seen them take off a few times.

Air Force base first, civilian base second.

I am pretty sure both Pattaya and Chiang Mai are also Air Force bases. Oh yeah...Don Muang as well.

Not hard at all, but lousy weather right now, might make it a miserable ride ... depending on when you plan to do!

Try doing to bypass route around Surrat city ... I doubt parking would be a problem... usually not at these types of places (ferry terminals for sure)

Has anyone parked at the Airport?

https://www.google.com/maps/@9.1145012,99.173628,14z

Yes. Unlimited free parking. Never had a problem. It is about 100 km, from Don Sak to the airport. Allow enough time. I use Air Asia and Nok often. Both good airlines. I love denying Bangkok Air their pirate rates. Bring raincoats or ponchos. And I assume you have little in the way of baggage? You can also send some things ahead using EMS at the post office. Inexpensive express mail. Very good service.

• 3 weeks later...

Best route for me is to take the normal route to Surat but turn left on to Highway 44 to Krabi ( about 30km from Donsak) and go for about 38km and turn North on Highway 41 and in 25km you are at the airport. Airport is right on highway 41 so hard to get lost. No worries with traffic lights or crazy traffic on either highway.

Parking is free, easy and relatively safe as the airport is in fact an Air Force base. I always lock my bike with a cable and lock just in case.

Hope this helps.

Turn left to Krabi hwy Why ???? I have done it heaps of times, just keep straight through but turn left at Big C...........easy, don't see how you can get lost.

• 3 months later...

Hi anyone ever park a car at Surat airport. we need to leave it there - off to Ireland for 3 weeks. cannot find any info and airport does not answer phone. leaving tomorrow am - so would really appreciate advice.

Hi anyone ever park a car at Surat airport. we need to leave it there - off to Ireland for 3 weeks. cannot find any info and airport does not answer phone. leaving tomorrow am - so would really appreciate advice.

Done that, it's free.

It's an military air-force base so no problem with security.

Done that, it's free.

It's an military air-force base so no problem with security.

Brilliant ! Thanks for the advice.

Hope this helps.

Turn left to Krabi hwy Why ???? I have done it heaps of times, just keep straight through but turn left at Big C...........easy, don't see how you can get lost.

With the new bridge you can turn right at the Big C crossing and left onto the bridge, and than straight on, that road pretty much leads you up to the airport.

Having done all three main routes now, I prefer the Krabi bypass route by car. Longer but all open two lane separated highway. On a motorbike in good weather the route using the bridge over the river and route as shown above is certainly shorter, and unless the weather was bad enough to make it less safe to be in traffic on the one lane each direction roads would probably favor that way. If you look at the map and know the numbers of the roads it shouldn't be confusing.

Yeah...I just like winding the bike out on 44.......mmmmmm....speed.....

Yup & that's where the radar & the Highway Patrol sit.sick.gif

Driven that road more times than I can count and never seen a copper on it.

Who is the lucky one then? They used to be on just past the 44 turn off heading to Dongsak, they have now concentrated their efforts on the 44.

I may have done it, but it doesn't make it right never the less....

And I certainly don't go promoting or encouraging people to do it... just saying.

So, just because people are drunk driving all the time, as long as there's no police around, it shouldn't be such a big deal, right?

Besides, it's against forum rules to promote illegal activities.

Edited by Mole