Russian Pedestrian shot by Police as they chase two bag snatchers in Jomtien

webfact

The sooner that civilians are allowed to carry arms the better what is needed is a Thai NRA, no more punch ups.

Firearms are used in a public space with the result that an innocent person got wounded.

And your solution is to introduce more firearms?

I have trouble following your reasoning.

In this instance it was the police using the firearms. How in hell would more firearms on the streets have helped in this specific instance.

To move towards a USA as dreamed about by the NRA would be catagorically wrong. Thailand should move towards the UK of the 1960's when firearms were extremely rare. It was even rare for the police to have firearms back then.

In the US and I was being robbed I would assume the robber has a gun. If I was in the UK I would assume the robber does not have a gun he might have a knife or heavy object but not a gun.

In reference to the recent shootings in US.

Male weilding gun like object the police will treat as a real gun.

In the UK police would seriously consider the gun to be immitation.

I would hate to be a US policeman who needs to be armed with a firearm at all times when on duty and perhaps off. In the UK policeman are not usually routinely armed. Who is most likely to get killed by a robber with a gun?

In 2012, 33 US police officers were shot to death (the lowest number since 1887)https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20131230/15411225716/number-officers-killed-line-duty-drops-to-50-year-low-while-number-citizens-killed-cops-remains-unchanged.shtml

Compared with 71 shot and killed in the UK between 1900 and 2012. (This does not include N Ireland where the RUC was engaged in an armed inserrection beween Catholics and Prodestants)

http://michaelisherwood.com/2012/09/british-police-officer-deaths-1900-2012/

• Like 1

Oh dear, don't you think there are enough guns and gun crime about in Thailand?

Surely that is the argument put forward, to make you feel safer we need lots more guns. After all I feel a whole lot safer when I see someone walk into a coffee shop or hardware shop with an automatic rifle strapped over his shoulder.

This is either a gee up or your a red neck American. I not to sure which!!!

At last someone gets it.

Without a smiley earlier we might just think you are back-pedalling now!

• Like 1

The sooner that civilians are allowed to carry arms the better what is needed is a Thai NRA, no more punch ups.

it's a weird coincidence, but Thailand and america are side by side in World Listing for homicide Rates. somewhere around 103rd & 104th if memory serves. so.... the idea of either country [teaching] the other [the way do it] is a Laff as big as an elephant.

Firearms are used in a public space with the result that an innocent person got wounded.

Then let's try & explain it to you. You're about to commit a crime against someone; steal their wallet or purse, rape them, assult them, whatever. You notice (or are aware or suspect) they are armed. How likely are you to proceed with your violence, vs moving on to easier prey?

See? That wasn't so hard, was it? Being deliberately obtuse isn't really much of an argument, though the technique does seem to fuel a lot of talking points, esp. when it comes to guns & self-defense. The message always seems to be, if you're bullet-proof and/or a world-ranked martial artist, great. Otherwise, you must bend over & take it.

I'm really sorry for this young lady, and I'm sorry also the police officer who took the shot which hurt her. Very bad luck both of them.

The stray bullets are extremely dangerous.

But the biggest problem these 2 idiots bag snatcher won't get any really hard punishment.

The police gave the criminals a good shouting at and even threatened to shoot them but never did lucky the thief's did not give up or a hefty 500 Baht fine might have been waiting for them, was the Russian lady an easier target hope she makes a speedy and full recovery from her ordeal.

I was driving past the area (a big crowd standing outside VT2) a few minutes after it happened. It created traffic chaos, it looked like the locals and tourists had a lot of fun watching this. Disgusting.

Without a smiley earlier we might just think you are back-pedalling now!

At last someone gets it.

Surely that is the argument put forward, to make you feel safer we need lots more guns. After all I feel a whole lot safer when I see someone walk into a coffee shop or hardware shop with an automatic rifle strapped over his shoulder.

This is either a gee up or your a red neck American. I not to sure which!!!

Sorry but you can read any of my previous posts and I never use them. Also this subject has come up previously and I have always thought the NRA stance on this is just about as insane as you can get.

A lot of very unthought through comments about this subject. All are just someone's personal opinions, so here's mine. First and foremost , the Thai policeman used very poor jodgement by shooting at a petty thief in a crowded street, two, guns are only tools in the hands of a human being who is the final judge to make it work or leave it at rest, three I believe in the conceal carry laws to people who are trained and respect that as a very serious responsibility .

Poor girl and what a choice... Thai hospital or Russian hospital. Bit of a Sophie's choice. A friend of mine was involved in a car crash in Russia and had his leg badly mangled. He had to be operated on immediately and the doctor asked my friend if he had any anesthetic as the hospital had none! 6 hour op with no anesthetic. At least in a Thai hospital she'll get amoxycillin I suppose.

More guns will equal more deaths by gun violence, domestic abuse and accidental firing. Thailand does not need the NRA which is the lobbying arm of the American gun manufacturers messing in their country. We Americans should not import this cultural defect to other countries.

Since all these crazy people on ice, yaba etc, usually have guns or other weapons. they use them to rob people and kill people. I wish I could buy a gun here in Thailand legally. I know I can buy one but not legally. Now that the Aussies had to give up there guns see what will happen!!! according to Yahoo news the murder rate in Australia has already gone up 3.5%. Now the innocent civilians can no longer protect themselves.. Hopefully this hostage deal in Sydney is an isolated incident but wait and see. Consealed permit in America is great and most of my friends either have it or agree with it. Come to my house and try something in America and you will get a hollow point surprise, right between the eyes. thumbsup.gif

Hey...atleast she got a basket of fruit; that should make the situation better don't you think?

Incredible! The Police are shooting at non-armed bag snatchers. Be careful people...if you accidentally walk away with a banana from a fruit stand, you may get shot.

I agree both sides, the public/police and also the criminals should all be allowed to carry guns.

I seem to recal a similar argument in favour of an escalation in the number of nuclear weapons.

The policy was called Mutually Assured Destruction, more commonly recognised by its acronym MAD.

When every second counts, police are only minutes away.

Better that only police have guns.

They are professional and well trained and uhm, aah, ehhh, nnnnnn....

...so guns only for cops!!!

Irrefutable logic.

I agree both sides, the public/police and also the criminals should all be allowed to carry guns.

I seem to recal a similar argument in favour of an escalation in the number of nuclear weapons.

The policy was called Mutually Assured Destruction, more commonly recognised by its acronym MAD.

Criminals will carry guns whether they are "allowed to" on not.

Remember, they are criminals.

That is why violent thugs are the greatest supporters of gun control.

Removes a lot of the risk in the business plan.

Maybe the police remembered Suthep's statement in his court appearance on a murder charge that he ordered police to shoot at protesters feet to disable them. In that instance several proesters were killed so the woman in this case was lucky.

I am not a supporter of the RTP in any way, but, they admitted their mistake, are paying all the medical bills, repatriation and remedial therapy costs.............this time.

it's not enough, they have to pay for the psychological shock, freetime/holiday and happiness time damage.

• Like 1