Alcatraz 1962 escapees 'may have survived'

webfact

Alcatraz 1962 escapees had small chance of success
Rebecca Morelle
By Rebecca Morelle
Science Correspondent, BBC News, San Francisco

SAN FRANCISCO: -- Three inmates who famously escaped from the US island prison Alcatraz had a small chance of making it to land alive - but the odds were stacked against them, a new study suggests.

In 1962, the prisoners absconded using a raft, and were never seen again.

A novel computer model now indicates that if they set off right at midnight, they could have made landfall.

But if they left in the hours either side, it is very likely they died in the cold waters of San Francisco Bay.

The study was carried out by scientists at Delft University and the research institute Deltares, both in the Netherlands, and is being presented this week at the American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, which is hosted in the California city.

Fake heads

This prison break - dramatized by Clint Eastwood in the film Escape from Alcatraz - is one of the most daring and intricate escapes ever attempted.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-30349106

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-12-15

Jack LaLane was 41 and a lot less motivated. I hope that they made it.

I carried Jack LaLane's bags when I worked at the Four Seasons Clift Hotel in San Francisco. He was very tiny.

He was apparently very fit as well!

1974 Age 60: Swam from Alcatraz Island to Fisherman’s Wharf, for a second time handcuffed, shackled and towing a 1,000-pound boat.

SAN FRANCISCO: -- Three inmates who famously escaped from the US island prison Alcatraz had a small chance of making it to land alive - but the odds were stacked against them, a new study suggests.

I wonder what this study cost and what the collateral benefit to mankind will be. They could have probably reached the same startling conclusion by consulting Carnac the Magnificent (before he died in 2005).

ScreenShot2012-08-09at93607AM.png

Jack LaLane swam handcuffed from the rock to San Francisco in 1955. http://www.jacklalanne.com/jacks-adventures/feats-and-honors.php

The very mention of the name "Jack LaLanne" causes Chuck Norris's jewel sack to contract dangerously.

A genuine American Original Hero. R.I.P. He walked the talk, all his long and happy life.

I wonder what this study cost and what the collateral benefit to mankind will be. They could have probably reached the same startling conclusion by consulting Carnac the Magnificent (before he died in 2005).

I'm glad the Dutch uni did put the time and effort into this; it's an intriguing part of history, one of the greatest escapes along with the Great Escape, Devil's Island and La Santé. Why would it bother you and why the depressive undertone in your posts? Just pass over if you don't like a topic. Anyway, thanks for contributing to my 'ignore' list. wink.png

@ EWO...Your pic...post #13....there's a hell of a current that runs between those two land masses

and that water is quite cold. Swimming against a 10-12 knot current isn't impossible but it is highly

improbable the swimmer will make their destination unless said swimmer knows exactly what to do

and how to do it. When the yearly swim competitions are held they're at slack time...meaning almost

no current as the tide isn't changing...which happens twice a day. Plus...there are also sharks in

SF Bay...but they're the least of a swimmers worry since the Bay has enough rubbish in it to

placate a sharks hunger! I used to live in Sausalito, you back is to it in the photo....Nice SF skyline

pic!