China to punish noodle water-throwing tourists gone wild

webfact

Some Chinese people are so rude and have no manner. They think they own the world and show no respect for others.

That's true but when their behavior becomes threatening and causes the safety of the passengers and aircraft to be in danger like in this case, their behavior becomes criminal.

So this matter should not have been treated so lightly by the Thai authorities. The Thai Air Asia flight attendant should surely not have faced translation issues (being a Thai) when explaining what happened to her and all the other little incidents that led up to this on board? So why didn't the Thai authorities act?! Release without charge and simple blacklisting? That's not enough! You're supposed to charge them!

I mean, you have signs (at least at Suvarnabhumi) that suggest that merely not wanting to comply with the security check before immigration is punishable by up to 1 year in prison but shouting, screaming, throwing hot water on a flight attendant and then threatening to kill yourself/blow up the plane is considered less serious?!!!

What am I missing? How stupid were the Thai police in this case? Captain obvious answer: extremely stupid!

Perhaps an agreement was madw between china and thailand for them to punished in china. After all, china is not just goin to slap their wrist and make them pay a fine. They could be looking at prison or worse. Makin china look so bad is going to cost them. Personally i would prefer thai punishment

Maybe; but that's ridiculous (if it turns out to be true). That's like saying if I did something wrong in China an agreement would be made between China and the USA to punish me in the USA. The incident occurred in Thailand. The aircraft is Thai. The airspace is Thai. The incident therefore occurred on Thai soil.

So what are you suggesting if a foreigner gets into legal trouble in Thailand they'll be punished back home? Apart from a few cases like pedophilia, this is not possible. Where an offence has been committed that would be legal in your own country, rest assured that being a non-Thai citizen is not going to save you.

Again, I applaud the Chinese government for taking action (the flight was on it's way to China) but it is still a bit puzzling as to why Thailand didn't punish them more severely in the first instance. What should have happened was (what would have made most sense) the Thais arrest them, charge them, then hand out some sort of sentence. If a prison sentence is handed out, the Chinese government could ask for the prisoners to be extradited back home.

That's what happens in a normal world.

Chinese law can't override Thai laws, just like US or Australian laws don't override Chinese laws!

• Like 1

I don't speak Mandarin but it is pretty obvious at what point he made the bomb threat.....silence.......murmering.....much quieter conversation. What a knob!

I speak Mandarin but I could barely understand what this knob was saying. He was obviously speaking some kind of dialect, very fast and unintelligible.

• Like 1

Some Chinese people are so rude and have no manner. They think they own the world and show no respect for others.

"After the Nanjing-bound flight returned to Don Mueang on Thursday, the couple was forcibly removed from the plane but released without charge."

Mind boggling! If this happened in Tokyo, London, Paris, New York or Buenos Ares these two mind-numbingly arrogant twits would be in jail.

Sounds to me like they were connected......no names mentioned here either.

blink.png

Exactly!

It's absolutely unbelievable that anyone, not least foreigners [Chinese in this case] were able to effectively get away with this kind of behavior on board an aircraft (although having said that, the laws should apply equally to everyone so obviously even a Thai doing this would need to be punished with the full force of the law).

Although it seems that not being properly punished for incidents on board aircraft, including Thai registered aircraft are not without precedent. Another incident a couple of months back whereby an Australian man became abusive on board THAI Airways flight TG 476 from Sydney to Bangkok was also initially taken into custody after arrival, but no word on what happened to him. Presumably he didn't receive more than a fine either. So it seems that the Thais are not treating such incidents very seriously. Personally I'm so frightened of flying that I can deal with bad service etc. just about anything as long as my flight arrives at it's destination without incident. But to go crazy on board on an aircraft is about the worst thing that someone can do. It's much, much more dangerous than someone doing the same on a bus or train, for example, because if something serious happens on board an aircraft once up in the air such as a bomb going off, that's it - you and the rest of the passengers and crew will have very little chance of survival. That's why aviation security is no laughing matter.

a Chinese campaign to encourage upright behavior by its citizens abroad

Like not jumping the queue, not shouting, not pinching every single tomato in the vegetable stall,

not renting a scooter without knowing how to drive it, not blocking the traffic to take a picture,

not monopolizing three check-in counters at the airport for half an hour...

good that the Chinese government sees the problem. I hope the campaign will slowly work.

Meanwhile, "everyone can fly".

(of course, there are exceptions: very good-mannered chinese visitors who are

probably much embarassed by such episodes)

Making Bomb Threats and Released without charge!!!<deleted>!!! What if it was a different Nationality?

I'm confused. So the tourists forced the plane to come back to Thailand and then were released and deported the next day without charge? What is wrong with the Thai authorities? Don't they realise a crime has been committed? I applaud the Chinese authorities for vowing to punish these offenders, but why does China need to do Thailand's dirty work?

As far as Thailand is concerned, they committed a crime in Thailand because 1) the incident occurred on a Thai registered aircraft; 2) it occurred over Thai airspace and 3) the aircraft subsequently returned to Don Muang as a result.

So what does one actually have to do, in order for an incident like this to be considered a crime in Thailand?

I think its fine if just left to China to discipline. China is among most of the nations of the world who know how to make there citizens behave. Not like another country I know of. They will face the justice which meats or surpasses there crime. What an idea,,,,,,,,,,, Punishment!!!

• Like 1

Making Bomb Threats and Released without charge!!!<deleted>!!! What if it was a different Nationality?

I'm confused. So the tourists forced the plane to come back to Thailand and then were released and deported the next day without charge? What is wrong with the Thai authorities? Don't they realise a crime has been committed? I applaud the Chinese authorities for vowing to punish these offenders, but why does China need to do Thailand's dirty work?

As far as Thailand is concerned, they committed a crime in Thailand because 1) the incident occurred on a Thai registered aircraft; 2) it occurred over Thai airspace and 3) the aircraft subsequently returned to Don Muang as a result.

So what does one actually have to do, in order for an incident like this to be considered a crime in Thailand?

I think its fine if just left to China to discipline. China is among most of the nations of the world who know how to make there citizens behave. Not like another country I know of. They will face the justice which meats or surpasses there crime. What an idea,,,,,,,,,,, Punishment!!!

Hey I applaud China for punishing them. But what I don't get is the passing of the buck by the Thais - let's say if the people involved were Americans instead of Chinese. So they get off by the Thais and the Americans don't punish them. What then? It would be like saying this kind of behavior is acceptable? At least as far as the Thais are concerned anyway.

Hey I applaud China for punishing them. But what I don't get is the passing of the buck by the Thais - let's say if the people involved were Americans instead of Chinese. So they get off by the Thais and the Americans don't punish them. What then? It would be like saying this kind of behavior is acceptable? At least as far as the Thais are concerned anyway.

Exactly, Thailand needs to follow China's lead. Punishment works. Here we have China punishing there own more than there own guests I'm suspecting. With a change to this type of governing Thailand would come around and flourish. Look as Malaysia and Singapore where they do the same,,,, punish there own harshly when unfair criminally towards a foreign tourist.

• Like 1

While I applaud China for doing something about this couple, it should have absolutely nothing to do with China's image. It should be solely about what the couple did and the fear, heartache, lost time and money for all the passengers and the flight attendant who had boiling water splashed on her. This should be the sole basis for their punishment and it should be severe.

I couldn't have said it better myself. The idea behind punishing this couple is that they performed a criminal act. That's the reason for punishment, nothing to do with China's image as you say.

Chinese travel agencies told to regulate tourist behaviour
China Daily
Beijing

BEIJING: -- Tourism authorities will urge travel agencies to monitor tour groups and will explore the use of personal credit reports to identify possible offenders in advance.

The move comes after four Chinese travellers poured hot water on a Thai flight attendant and triggered public outrage online.

The China National Tourism Administration released a statement asking all provincial tourism authorities and travel agencies to help regulate tourist behavior.

"This incident disrupted the flight and other passengers’ schedules by forcing it to return to Bangkok. ... They were all punished," the statement said.

"Despite this being an isolated case, it damaged the overall image of Chinese people," it said.

The administration said it will ask provincial tourism authorities to note the incident in the four tourists’ personal credit reports.

Wang Yanyong, director of the Tourism Development and Planning Research Center of Beijing Jiaotong University, said stopping such behaviour requires the help of travel agencies as well as tourists themselves.

"Before the trip, tour guides need to alert tourists about their behaviour and the consequences of breaking local laws and rules," Wang said. "The urgent introduction of personal credit reporting is needed in the tourism industry. The reports needs to be shared with certain departments, such as visa application centers."

Air Asia flight FD9101 from Bangkok to Nanjing was forced to turn around about 90 minutes after taking off on Thursday because two Chinese passengers created a disturbance.

Social media posts from witnesses of the incident said one man threatened to blow up the plane, and a woman sitting next to him yelled about jumping out when they didn’t get satisfactory service.

According to the statement from the airline, after the plane returned to Bangkok’s Don Mueang International Airport, the woman and three other passengers were removed and taken to the airport police station.

By 6pm on Sunday, 92 per cent of Chinese netizens responding to an online Sina poll about the incident called it "humiliating".

China has the fastest growing outbound tourism in the world. As of the end of November, 2014 had logged 100 million outbound tourists, nearly 90 per cent of whom travelled to Asian countries and regions.

Zhang Lingyun, deputy dean of the tourism college at Beijing Union University, said the personal credit report idea should be carefully analysed so as to set reasonable standards for what constitutes "inappropriate behaviour" and how to punish offenders without violating personal privacy or harming the industry.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Chinese-travel-agencies-told-to-regulate-tourist-b-30249872.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-12-15

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Go and live in HK for awhile and you will experience how the mainlanders hate whitey's and every other race is regarded as inferior

I do live in Hong Kong now and the mainlanders are generally regarded as absolute pigs, and that's putting it politely.

You are so very welcome to have them as tourists, and not us.

I used to be very annoyed by the Chinese tourists that come to Thailand. (Not to say they're the worst) Now I just think the loud burping, screaming while talking, picking their nose, coughing and not covering their mouth, and whatever else they're known for is pretty hilarious. Most are very nice and polite. We need to remember a lot of them are new to money and 'our' standards of what is socially acceptable. Most of them have good intentions and rarely a bad apple spoils the whole bunch. Don't judge them based on a crazy couple madly in love needing to sit near each other.

• Like 1

so you can run over a cop, steal Billions, kill and disappear dozens of activists, make a plane turn around by endangering passengers and threatening to blow up the plane, cops can kidnap tourists, etc etc etc. but you cannot pick a mushroom in a national park?

Truly the land of no accountability. Thailand .....you really are amazing!!!

• Like 1

Yes they do own the entire world. Why you think rest of the world wants their business.

Secondly thanks for generalizing. You could at least be more specific and say PRC.

I've found rude people from any number of countries except Canada so let's keep racism to a minimal.

Get used to it Thailand, whether you realize it yet or not, your Govt has pushed the USA (and other western countries) away and replaced it with Russia/China, so these incidents are only going to increase.

You wanted quality tourists, you're gonna get them. In spades. Most of them on cheap package tours and not spending in the same way as other (let's call them) "westerners". Welcome to the brave new (cheap) world.

Edited by Tatsujin
  • Like 2

I have found the Chinese to be the most repugnant race of all in my travels. Loud, obnoxious, inconsiderate, obviously oblivious to social graces outside of China. Granted this is a gross generalization and I am certain their are also pleasant Chines people, however it is always the Chinese that capture my attention for obnoxious behaviour in public. Here is a perfect example...how absolutely pathetic.

• Like 1