Farang Prince Dies In Thai Jail

ScubaDuc

– <day> August: He is transferred to the private clinic <name>.

– Sunday night, 6/7 August: He dies in hospital.

A terrific job, maestro. Thank you for taking the time to put that together.

:o

I was wondering about the above 2 lines as I thought I read he died in the prison hospital and so I took the term "private clinic" as perhaps just a misconstrued translation, when it was actually meaning some part of the prison hospital, particularly as it wasn't named separately.

I don't recall seeing anywhere that he was provided medical care, at any point in time, that was outside of the prison hospital. I would appreciate any further information on that aspect as it comes in.

TV and I appreciate your continued efforts.

:D

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think every TV reader knows that screwing with official stamps from ANY country is a seriously stupid thing to do. Why should Thailand be any different? I have said it before and will say it again; There are far too many people coming to Thailand thinking they can do what the &lt;deleted&gt; they want and then scream foul when they are caught red handed doing something they would not dream about at home.

That said, the man did not deserve to die.

European aristocrat Christoph von Hohenlohe died of unknown causes at the Bangkok Remand Prison earlier this week, officials and relatives confirmed yesterday.
But I just cannot figure out why he was sent to Bang Kwang which to the best of my knowledge is a maximum security prison for those with sentences of 30 years or more.Any ideas?

The local press is the one that identified Bangkok Remand Prison, and not Bang Kwang, as describing his location.

It also is where I read where I got that he had died at the prison hospital from the previous post.

This conflicts with the European press saying it was Bang Kwang, which is certainly more famous (infamous?) and more widely known, which might account for the error, if, in fact, it IS in error.

European aristocrat Christoph von Hohenlohe died of unknown causes at the Bangkok Remand Prison earlier this week, officials and relatives confirmed yesterday.

But I just cannot figure out why he was sent to Bang Kwang which to the best of my knowledge is a maximum security prison for those with sentences of 30 years or more.Any ideas?

The local press is the one that identified Bangkok Remand Prison, and not Bang Kwang, as describing his location.

It also is where I read where I got that he had died at the prison hospital from the previous post.

This conflicts with the European press saying it was Bang Kwang, which is certainly more famous (infamous?) and more widely known, which might account for the error, if, in fact, it IS in error.

Thanks for clearing that one up. I suppose it does look more dramatic, "Left to fester in the Bangkok Hilton..."

I was wondering about the above 2 lines as I thought I read he died in the prison hospital
Some news report had him die in the prison cell (emotional statement by Hubertus von Hohenlohe), other in the prison hospital and one report, an AFP dispatch posted by – lo and behold! – SJ himself here.

However, since that AFP report also gives Wednesday as the date of death of Christoph von Hohenlohe it may also have got that part about the hospital wrong.

And having looked up that AFP dispatch again, I can now fill in another blank in my chronology: the private hospital is reported to be Nonthavej Hospital.

Wouldn’t it be nice to have some factual report by some Thai authority?

--------------

Maestro

Translation from “La Stampa”, 11 August but reading it only now:

Brother Hubertus accuses: “The remains of my brother will leave Bangkok and will arrive in Marbella, Spain on Sunday, and the funeral should be held Wednesday at 12.00 h or 15.00 h. Kiko had no particular ailment and was never hospitalised. They have to explain to us what killed him”.

I wonder, will the family have an autopsy performed in Spain?

--------------

Maestro

This is more a response to Baboon than to SJ, but I just mucked up the quotes.

The Bangkok Remand Prison is located within the Klong Prem Prison compound in Lad Yao. Bang Kwang is in Nonthaburi.

It would be extremely unlikely that he was transferred to Bang Kwang because Bang Kwang is only for prisoners who are sentenced to a prison term and serving more than 25 years. It will be unusual for him to have been sent to the compound in Nonthaburi as he was arrested at Don Muang. The Bangkok Remand Prison makes much more sense. Making it sound like someone died at Bang Kwang makes for a much better story though - as you state in your post Baboon.

If the current news stories are accurate (given the naming of Bang Kwang, I have my doubts), the whole story sounds strange. If he had a medical condition and a decent lawyer, he would surely have gotten bail. He could probably have already plead guilty to the offence, copped a fine and at worse a suspended sentence and be out of the country. Who lines up to extend their permission to stay and then thinks stuff this and alters the departure date?

A combination of the heat with his change of diet seems to have caused him to act strangely. Strange behaviour can be a symptom of hypoglycemia which would explain the translated term sugar shock.

Doctors allegedly diagnosed a blood sugar level three times the normal level. Because of the previous starvation diet, the arrest might have led to a shock. Then again, there was talk about a rapidly progressing infection.

A diet could certainly lead to schock, just as undue stress could in conjunction with heat or even the lack of medication. The statement that he asked for Sprite indicates that he knew what was going on, wehter he told anyone I do not know. I also use Sprite to bring me back to normal when I start shaking.

When I was reading about a “blood infection” earlier in the thread I was wondering whether that was brought on by the use of non-sterile needles or other equipment, but let me add quickly that this is idle speculation.

I was recently in hospital with a severe abdominal infection that required surgery. Not until I put sympthoms together with Internet access, did I ask the good Dr. to have me checked for Diabetes and he was shocked when my suspicions were confirmed.

A combination of the heat with his change of diet seems to have caused him to act strangely. Strange behaviour can be a symptom of hypoglycemia which would explain the translated term sugar shock.

When I do not get my medication or my meals are not on time I go through some horendous mood swings. Ask my wife, bless her heart, for she has to put up with it.

This does not condone what the gentleman did, nor does this explain the situation, it merely points to a possible explanation based on my experinces alone.

No matter, no one deserves to die due to lack of medical attention for breaking a minor law. But, unless they were aware of the problem, it is not an easy diagnosis to make and can be easily dismissed as an obnoxious person or someone intoxicated.

I just hope that if I ever get sent to a jail for any minor infraction, that I be allowed to take my medication and get plenty of water.

Edited by mouse

Strange behaviour can be a symptom of hypoglycemia which would explain the translated term sugar shock.
Hyperglycaemia, it the report of Readers Edition about triple the normal blood sugar level can be believed, but that report is already suspect because of the false report about Bang Kwang prison.

At any rate, the Remand Prison makes more sense because he was not yet tried and sentenced; he was “on remand”.

--------------

Maestro

I was wondering about the above 2 lines as I thought I read he died in the prison hospital
Some news report had him die in the prison cell (emotional statement by Hubertus von Hohenlohe), other in the prison hospital and one report, an AFP dispatch posted by – lo and behold! – SJ himself here.

However, since that AFP report also gives Wednesday as the date of death of Christoph von Hohenlohe it may also have got that part about the hospital wrong.

And having looked up that AFP dispatch again, I can now fill in another blank in my chronology: the private hospital is reported to be Nonthavej Hospital.

Wouldn’t it be nice to have some factual report by some Thai authority?

--------------

Maestro

The other article that was quoted about the location of his death as being the Bangkok Remand Prison was from the Nation and that one stated he had died on Thursday. The AFP said Wednesday.

European press says this and that. The family describes things. Various local officials describe that (in very unspecific and general terms).

It all points out what an extremely difficult and muddled situation this all is.

Some clear and open and factual reporting by Thai authorities IS certainly needed. It could set things straight in a few paragraphs.

Yes - I'm very suprised that as a 'Prince' he didnt have a) Diplomatic immunity :D a direct line to his Embassy - as a 'Prince' I cant see how he should have gone to Jail :o

Johnb

Only Diplomats get the immunity thing. And as for him changing his visa expiry, pure dumb, the visa expiry gets computerised so if the two don't match... Alarm bells start ringing.

Updated chronology.

No essential changes, but I have now uploaded it as a PDF file to a place where I can later substitute it with a new, updated file as additional information becomes available. Gradually, I am also adding the sources for the individual items.

--------------

Maestro

The other article that was quoted about the location of his death as being the Bangkok Remand Prison was from the Nation and that one stated he had died on Thursday.
Now that I read the Nation article again, I see that according to that article, officials and relatives confirmed on Wednesday, 9 August – “yesterday”, published on 10 August – that he died on Tuesday.

So now we have three possible dates, four really, because early Monday is also possible:

Sunday night, 7/8 August: Corriere della Sera, 09.08.2006; Bild, 10.08.2006, OÖ Nachrichten, 10.09.2006; ORF, unknown date

Sunday, 7 August: La Stampa, 09.08.2006;

Tuesday, 9 August: The Nation, 10.08.2006

No wonder I am getting a headache!

--------------

Maestro

A new, undated article in the German weekly magazine “Bunte” adds the following to what we already know from other news reports:

Ira von Fuerstenberg doubts the official explanation about the death of her son Christoph von Hohenlohe (49), who died Monday night at a Thai hospital. The prince allegedly suffered a diabetic shock, says the report of the doctor who treated him in Bangkok. The mother of the deceased denies, however, that her son had diabetes and will have the death of her “Kiko” reviewed by a Viennese doctor.

--------------

Maestro

www.aol.de/index.jsp?cid=504677963

From a german newspaper above today:

Christoph von Hohenlohe was dead the night to tuesday,

-by a sugarshock according to his mother, Ira von Furstenburg

-by heartbrake and lunginfection according to his brother Hubertus.

Prinz Carlo Giovanelli, a friend to the Hohenlohe- family tells, that internationell organizations will be contacted about the situation in thai prisons.

Some wellknown relatives to the family Hohenlohe - Langenburg are listed:

Chlodwig zu Hohenlohe - Schillingsfurst, Prime Minister (Reichskanzler) of Germany 1894 -1900.

Stephanie von Hohenlohe 1891 -1972, halfjewish, spy (and mistress?) for Adolf Hitler in England and the USA. "More dangerous than an army", according to chief of FBI, John Edgar Hoover.

www.aol.de/index.jsp?cid=504677963
Thank you for this new link, which I have now added to my collection.

Translated excerpt:

It remains a complete mystery under what circumstances the prince died during the night of Monday to Tuesday.

Now we have The Nation saying “Tuesday”; “Bunte” saying “Monday night, which literally would mean Monday only but could be understood to mean anytime during the night; aol.de saying literally “night to Tuesday”, which my bi-lingual (German and English) friend translates as “night from Monday to Tuesday”; Italian and other German-language papers saying “Sunday night”; one Italian paper saying “Sunday”.

This is journalism at its best. One dead man and three different dates of death. My headache s coming back.

--------------

Maestro

Hi Mouse, as another diabetic, I imagine that one possible explanation is that he may not have known of his condition. Often diabetics are diagnosed only when serious symptoms appear or during routine blood work. If he did not know, then his family wouldn't have known. Naturally, we are talking about Type II diabetes here. If he did not know about his condition, then he probably wasn't taking any medicine (orals or insulin) and would not have requested it during his prison stay. The stress of his situation plus change of diet in prison, especially after a weight-loss regimen, would all lead to dangerously high glucose levels. Any existing infection or underlying heart condition would only make matters worse.

Doctors allegedly diagnosed a blood sugar level three times the normal level. Because of the previous starvation diet, the arrest might have led to a shock. Then again, there was talk about a rapidly progressing infection.

A diet could certainly lead to schock, just as undue stress could in conjunction with heat or even the lack of medication. The statement that he asked for Sprite indicates that he knew what was going on, wehter he told anyone I do not know. I also use Sprite to bring me back to normal when I start shaking.

When I was reading about a “blood infection” earlier in the thread I was wondering whether that was brought on by the use of non-sterile needles or other equipment, but let me add quickly that this is idle speculation.

I was recently in hospital with a severe abdominal infection that required surgery. Not until I put sympthoms together with Internet access, did I ask the good Dr. to have me checked for Diabetes and he was shocked when my suspicions were confirmed.

When I do not get my medication or my meals are not on time I go through some horendous mood swings. Ask my wife, bless her heart, for she has to put up with it.

This does not condone what the gentleman did, nor does this explain the situation, it merely points to a possible explanation based on my experinces alone.

No matter, no one deserves to die due to lack of medical attention for breaking a minor law. But, unless they were aware of the problem, it is not an easy diagnosis to make and can be easily dismissed as an obnoxious person or someone intoxicated.

I just hope that if I ever get sent to a jail for any minor infraction, that I be allowed to take my medication and get plenty of water.

An interesting legal question is why bail was denied. It seems the Thai judiciary isn't providing the answer to that question.

Here's the latest English language summary report from the Internet:

» eTN Partners » Discussion Board

From the Editor

Monday, August 14, 2006

Dear Tourism Partners,

The death of Prince Christoph Hohenlohe of Liechtenstein under Thai authorities’ watch, after jailing him for entry card forgery, has sparked an international outcry. Have Thai authorities overstepped their boundary? Be the judge. Read today’s lead story for the details. Thomas Steinmetz reports.

eTN Articles

International outrage over Prince Christoph’s death in Bangkok

By Thomas Steinmetz

HONOLULU (eTN) -- If the Thai government treats tourists the way my friend Kiko was treated ,nobody should even go there anymore, said Honolulu resident Tamara Motteler.

Motteler is referring to Christoph von Hohenlohe (known to his closest friends and family as Kiko) who died last week under Thailand authorities watch after being jailed for forging the dates on his entry card. Before his death, he resided in Honolulu, Hawaii but he is a citizen of Liechtenstein and is the son of German Princess Ira von Fuerstenberg, a famous European socialite and the daughter of Prince Tassilo Egon Maria Karl George Leo of Fuerstenberg and Clara Agnelli, a Fiat heiress.

"Kiko, was a wonderful, gracious man, who was always considerate of those

around him, and who loved the beaches of Hawaii and always was a positive spirit. I will miss him terribly,” said Jon Paul Chevalier, adding, “The vile way in which Kiko died, and the horrible, unlawful circumstances under which he died, should be investigated by the international community to the fullest extent of international laws."

Prince Christoph von Hohenlohe arrived in Thailand in mid-July from Hawaii, where he was then based, for a stay at a celebrated wellness centre. Unfortunately for him, he missed his returned flight back to Hawaii and could only get a seat three days later. Adding to his dilemma was the fact that his entry visa had gone passed its allowed 14-day stay. Most European and American citizens are not required to pay an entry fee but Hohenlohe belonged to neither categories so knew he had extra formalities to deal with. Concerned that he would again missed his flight, he made the innocent mistake of forging his entry card document.

However, Thai authorities noticed the alteration and arrested Prince Hohenlohe. The Liechtenstein prince spent almost a week in jail where he fell victim to a sudden illness and died. That, at least, is the official version, which explains that death occurred a few hours after the prince was taken to a hospital. It is not known at this time why he died although possible causes include heat stroke, heart attack, infection and insulin deprivation, heat stroke.

Prince Christoph’s family is saying they are incredulous at the way an episode they thought would be quickly resolved has transpired. His brother, Hubertus Hohenlohe, and mother, Princess Ira von Fürstenberg, flew to Bangkok a few days after his arrest, after learning about the incident from one of Prince Hohenlohe’s friends in Bangkok. Princess Ira managed to visit him in prison before his mysterious illness and death.

According to official reports, upon Thai authorities at the airport immigration office spotting the forgery, Prince Christoph was at once detained, searched, questioned and taken to a police station, where he spent the two days. While under custody, the prince tried to explain and assure his Thai interrogators that did not intend committing a crime and that he had already missed his earlier flight and that he was only making sure he did not miss his flight again. Forty-eight hours later, a judge confirmed the arrest and sent the prince to jail. The jail that Prince Christoph was was transferred to Bangkok Remand Prison on the morning of August 8. The same establishment the Amnesty International periodically denounces for the abuse of prisoners and the inhuman conditions in which they are detained.

Liechtenstein does not have an embassy in Bangkok, so the Hohenhole's sought the help the Swiss and then the Italian embassies. “The family contacted us only last Friday (August 4) and we immediately put them in touch with a competent lawyer”, confirmed Gianluca Greco, an official at the Italian embassy in Bangkok. However, Thai authorities rejected a bail attempt.

The jailed prince became ill on August 5 of unknown cause. He was taken to a hospital, where he died a few hours later on Sunday night. “We received an embarrassed phone call from the prison”, said Hubertus, adding, “and who knows if we will ever find out the truth.” To date, there has been no official cause as to what caused the prince’s illness.

In an exclusive interview with eTN, Hubertus said: “The temperature in the jail exceeded 45 Degrees C. Kiko shared the cell with 43 criminals and was not given sufficient water and food. Kiko was not given a mattress and prisoners had to stand because there was not enough room to sit or lay down. Kiko was a diabetic and repeated requests to provide insulin was not responded to. Kiko had long blond hair and Thai jail authorities shaved his head.”

In response, Chattan Kunjara Na Ayudhya, director International Public Relations of TAT said: "The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is saddened by the death of Mr. Christoph von Hohenlohe, a Liechtenstein national, in Thailand recently. The safety of every visitor to Thailand is of paramount importance to this organization. We endeavor whenever possible to coordinate with various public and private offices to ensure that the life and property of foreigners in Thailand are protected under Thai law.”

Added Ayudhya: “We will contact the government offices involved with this case to seek a report. Once that is received, we will discuss with that office measures that hopefully will facilitate the entry and exit of foreigners visiting this country.”

Previously, Amnesty International has issued the following appeal to Thailand: "The Thai government should take immediate steps to improve prison conditions, which amount to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment, bringing them up to the level required by international standards. These include abolishing in practice the use of prolonged shackling; providing adequate space for prisoners; and providing adequate food and medical care for all prisoners."

According to the Thai Tourist Police Department, a total of 115 foreign visitors have died in Thailand this year.

Prince Christoph funeral will be in Marbella, Spain on August 16. He will be entombed in the family plot at the famed Marbella Clu, founded by Prince Christoph’s father. Royalty from throughout the world are expected to attend his funeral.

With additional reporting from eTN representatives in Bangkok

Edited by frogmo1

In response, Chattan Kunjara Na Ayudhya, director International Public Relations of TAT said: "The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is saddened by the death of Mr. Christoph von Hohenlohe, a Liechtenstein national, in Thailand recently. The safety of every visitor to Thailand is of paramount importance to this organization. We endeavor whenever possible to coordinate with various public and private offices to ensure that the life and property of foreigners in Thailand are protected under Thai law.”

Added Ayudhya: “We will contact the government offices involved with this case to seek a report. Once that is received, we will discuss with that office measures that hopefully will facilitate the entry and exit of foreigners visiting this country.”

As an immediate step we will reduce the asking membership for Thai Elite Card by 50%, or 75% if your family name ends in more than 5 syllables.

Additionally, to show our goodwill towards all foreign tourists, the Ramayana figure shown in TAT ads broadcast on cable will wear a smiley mask.

Hubertus said: “...Kiko was a diabetic and repeated requests to provide insulin was not responded to...”
Interesting, as this contradicts what his mother was reported telling Italian journalists earlier.

While Christoph may well have been diabetic, both his brother and his mother were reported in the Italian press to have said that they were unaware of his diabetes.

---------------

Maestro

From the Editor

Monday, August 14, 2006

Frogmo1, have you got the Internet link to that report? I would like to add it to my collection. I can’t find it on my own.

---------------

Maestro

From the Editor

Monday, August 14, 2006

Frogmo1, have you got the Internet link to that report? I would like to add it to my collection. I can’t find it on my own.

---------------

Maestro

After much searching I found the eTN website :D

http://travelwirenews.com/eTN/14AUG2006.htm

I couldn't find the direct link on google but found another article from them then changed the date for the html page :o

so knew he had extra formalities to deal with. Concerned that he would again missed his flight, he made the innocent mistake of forging his entry card document.

What incredibly biased writing! Would he have forged his "entry card" entering the USA or Europe?

Kiko had long blond hair and Thai jail authorities shaved his head.

If true, this sounds pretty outrageous.

I appreciate the comments to my post; however, I remain puzzled as to what went wrong with the decedent's bail request. Was it made improperly or did the judge who heard it (if it in fact was heard) have a legal or psychological reason for denying it? The workings of the Thai judiciary are of interest to me, but the press seems not to have any information to offer on this detail.

I appreciate the comments to my post; however, I remain puzzled as to what went wrong with the decedent's bail request. Was it made improperly or did the judge who heard it (if it in fact was heard) have a legal or psychological reason for denying it? The workings of the Thai judiciary are of interest to me, but the press seems not to have any information to offer on this detail.

Not sure if the bail request was made, but even if it had been ,the court would have been compelled to deny the request.

The main problem in this instance is that by knowingly altering a visa, the visa was automatically made void. The court cannot grant bail knowing that the defendant has no legal right to be in the country.