Riding Bike In Thailand

Santastic

• 3 weeks later...

If you need the exercise, then check out

Mountain Bike Thailand on a good search site.

There are races most weekends, somewhere around the country.

Decent bikes start at 10K.

Don't touch the Thai ones they fall apart in no time.

All depends where you are living.

I have a mountain bike, me and the missus go out on little outtings, very nice too by the way.

We live in a nice quiet part of Phuket so not too much traffic.

Use your loaf mate and check out the local road conditions, and don't forget everyone looks a tit in those bike helmets, pretend to be a seik, get a turban

Bash

All depends where you are living.

I have a mountain bike, me and the missus go out on little outtings, very nice too by the way.

We live in a nice quiet part of Phuket so not too much traffic.

Use your loaf mate and check out the local road conditions, and don't forget everyone looks a tit in those bike helmets, pretend to be a seik, get a turban

Bash

A blue eye in a turban, That is if Santastic is a man. If not, a blue eyed chick in a turban will stand out in the crowd.

Niagarekoja,

ok mate, I am not in Phuket right now, still fighting for the cause in Nigeria...

I do however use Beach Boy Bike for all my spares, he is opposite the Wat in Kata, on the main road, he will be able to help you mate plus he speak english... always a help...

By the way he has nice bikes (Jamis) for sale for around 7,000, buy now sell later for 2k cheaper... nice cheap rental that way.

good luck

Bash

Oh yeah,

by the way, it is an easy shop to miss, it is set back off the road a bit (on the way to Chalong it is on the right hand side) but it has an actual real Bicycle as it's sign post... I still can't work out the connection there, but there you have it... this is Thailand

Glad to help

Bash

I rode from Bangkok to Chaiya and back in December. Getting out of Bangkok was a bit of a chore. I was actually very freaked out about doing it, took me a couple of days to get up the courage. Was staying around Mo Chit and followed the BTS to the river and then a ferry across. The worst part was around Victory Monument.

I don't know if I would want to ride in Bangkok on a regular basis though. I left at the hotel at 4:00 AM so traffic wasn't too bad. But I would say that drivers are pretty use to seeing slow moving traffic on the side of the rode as I passed a lot of food vendors with their carts wheeling down the road on the way to work. Everybody seemed to able to avoid hitting them. But the exhast fumes are pretty bad... :o

For some reason, Chumpon has several good bike shops. Cheaper than Bangkok.

Riding in Bangkok aside, I would say that Thailand is a bike rider's paridise. I was suprised about how few people I saw doing it. Nice big "bike lane" on either side of the road. And people were very friendly, although Thai people think it is totally crazy to be riding a bike when you can afford better transportation. Thinking about doing it again this year, maybe a ride through some parts of Issan.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest chingy

a couple of post back there another guy wanna bring his bike to bangkok, there are alots of buffalo driver in bangkok