Australian Visitor Visa

Quick question probably asked 100 times but I can't find the answer in this forum.

Does a Thai National need a Return or Onward flight ticked with this visa? Right now I have no idea which city we will be returning from.

No not yet but that shouldn't be a problem as she has had many over the past 14 years including "permanent residency" which we let lapse (didn't bother with the RRV). Applied for and received a 12 month, multiple entry Visitors Visa on our last trip.

And NO I never buy the tickets prior to getting the Visa.

EDIT: I can't fully plan and buy return tickets accordingly on this trip due to a number of variables, hence the question.

Edited by bdenner

Yes but be careful at outbound check-in because at the check-in counter they WILL ask Thai nationals for onward or return tickets if travelling on a visitor visa. My fiancee flew on a one way ticket on THAI to Australia at the end of September, her return was on Singapore Airlines in mid-October (because we wanted to see Singapore on the way back).

Her tickets were purchased separately and the dumb check-in lady even questioned if it was OK for her to be travelling back on a different airline, transiting Singapore en-route and that "there may be problems with Australian immigration". Of course it would be OK in any case and she got on the plane, but I doubt she would have made it without proof of outbound travel from Australia and in fact, the check-in agent probably wouldn't have been impressed had she not been in possession of a ticket all the way back to Thailand, not merely an outbound ticket to say New Zealand.