Australian dollar hits below 27 baht

My Australian Bank today is quoting 24.91 for buying THB and 28.46 for buying AUD for TT transfers. Lucky I sent some THB yesterday for 25.21! Rates may vary with other banks or services. The main reason for the drop to a 4 year low against the USD was the US Federal Reserve saying that US interest rates will rise early next year.

We are in for more falls against the USD as the AU Reserve Bank wants the rate to fall to .75 and we will keep heading this way regardless of what the Australian Government (no matter who they are) whilst commodity prices continue to fall. However the low dollar will be a boost to many Australia exports mainly primary products and services.

As far as the THB is concerned it depends on the THB more or less tracking the USD. I think a lower THB will assist in Thai exports, not to mention Australians like me and many other posters having to convert our AUS assets and pensions etc to THB to live here. I hope the Thais have learnt the lesson from the 1996 Asian financial crisis when the collapse in the THB triggered it after the Thais tried maintain an unsupported high THB.

The AUD has gone up against the Euro as the Russian problems make more impact. The other currency going down is the IDR so the cheap Charlie AUS tourists can still go to Bali and not come here which is the only good news!

Edited by bra
  • Like 1

My Australian Bank today is quoting 24.91 for buying THB and 28.46 for buying AUD for TT transfers. Lucky I sent some THB yesterday for 25.21! Rates may vary with other banks or services. The main reason for the drop to a 4 year low against the USD was the US Federal Reserve saying that US interest rates will rise early next year.

We are in for more falls against the USD as the AU Reserve Bank wants the rate to fall to .75 and we will keep heading this way regardless of what the Australian Government (no matter who they are) whilst commodity prices continue to fall. However the low dollar will be a boost to many Australia exports mainly primary products and services.

As far as the THB is concerned it depends on the THB more or less tracking the USD. I think a lower THB will assist in Thai exports, not to mention Australians like me and many other posters having to convert our AUS assets and pensions etc to THB to live here. I hope the Thais have learnt the lesson from the 1996 Asian financial crisis when the collapse in the THB triggered it after the Thais tried maintain an unsupported high THB.

The AUD has gone up against the Euro as the Russian problems make more impact. The other currency going down is the IDR so the cheap Charlie AUS tourists can still go to Bali and not come here which is the only good news!

Why would you buy THB in Australia? You get screwed. Send A$ to Thailand and you will get a much better rate.

• Like 1

My Australian Bank today is quoting 24.91 for buying THB and 28.46 for buying AUD for TT transfers. Lucky I sent some THB yesterday for 25.21! Rates may vary with other banks or services.

<snipped>

It sounds like you are letting your Australian bank do the exchange to THB, if so that is a very bad idea. For comparison Bangkok Bank's AUD/THB TT exchange rates yesterday were between 26.63 and 26.91 depending on the time of day.

Sophon

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Australian government wants to see 0.75 to the US$.

Bad for Australian tourists, great for Australian exporters.

The Aussie government will indeed get their wish and given the weakening Chinese economy the Aussie Dollar may go well below that $.75 rate sad.png

The AUD has gone up against the Euro as the Russian problems make more impact.

only in your wet dreams. AUD has lost 9% vs €UR during the last 4 months.

post-35218-0-24906300-1418874690_thumb.j

"The economy of Australia is one of the largest capitalist economies in the world, with a GDP of US$1 trillion as of 2013

In 2010, Australia registered a $16.8 billion trade surplus, with goods and services exported to more than 200 countries.

http://www.dfat.gov....lance-2011.html

OK, so why is the Aussie dollar so bloody low..........Thailand has had so much unrest & instability in every area yet the Baht has been stable right through it. Didn't Abbott just jerk off about his huge trade deal with China. One would have thought that that was a positive for the country....but no, zero effect!!!

Hi SOPHON, and other Aussies who may be interested. I have been dealing through OZFOREX for some 2 years (Macquarie bank). They far exceed the exchange rates offered at any time offered by the other Oz banks. Set up requires verbal (telephone) contact, no doubt relating to money laundering, and other T related matters. I thoroughly recommend them, efficient and easy process. Google aforementioned if you are interested. Along with their quote they list the other bank exchange rates - always better than a Baht better (eg transfer 5 grand then 5,000B better off. Also a flat charge of $15 - s..ts on other bank transfer fees.

"The economy of Australia is one of the largest capitalist economies in the world, with a GDP of US$1 trillion as of 2013

In 2010, Australia registered a $16.8 billion trade surplus, with goods and services exported to more than 200 countries.

http://www.dfat.gov....lance-2011.html

OK, so why is the Aussie dollar so bloody low..........Thailand has had so much unrest & instability in every area yet the Baht has been stable right through it. Didn't Abbott just jerk off about his huge trade deal with China. One would have thought that that was a positive for the country....but no, zero effect!!!

Japan's GDP is five times Australia's GDP and the ¥EN is "bloody lower" losing 30% vs. AUD during the last 3 years.

Australia exports very little now its all made in China.coffee1.gif

Not really correct.

The Australia economy relies heavily on exports......it is one of the world's largest exporters of commodities. Exports hit an all time high in Feb 2014 of nearly $30 billion dollars.

World's largest exporter of coal

One of the world's largest exporters of iron ore

The second largest producer of gold

Bauxite

The world's largest reserves of uranium

Education services, beef, wool are all huge earners

Australia has nearly finished the construction of 3 LNG plants on Curtis Island, well advanced on another huge plant on Barrow Island WA, and also well underway with construction of another one in Onslow WA and also in Darwin. When these are finished, combined with existing plants in the north-west, Australia will be the world's largest or second largest exporter of natural gas only behind Qatar.

The lower Australian dollar is a huge plus for the economy, that's why there has been concerted and sustained efforts by the Reserve Bank to drive it or trend it downwards from its highs.

• Like 1

That's what happens when you sack your experienced Aussie staff and move to China.

Yet Australia still allows anyone to buy land, property, industry. Maybe Thailand has something going for it in this regard.

Not really correct.

The Australia economy relies heavily on exports......it is one of the world's largest exporters of commodities. Exports hit an all time high in Feb 2014 of nearly $30 billion dollars.

World's largest exporter of coal

One of the world's largest exporters of iron ore

The second largest producer of gold

Bauxite

The world's largest reserves of uranium

Education services, beef, wool are all huge earners

Australia has nearly finished the construction of 3 LNG plants on Curtis Island, well advanced on another huge plant on Barrow Island WA, and also well underway with construction of another one in Onslow WA and also in Darwin. When these are finished, combined with existing plants in the north-west, Australia will be the world's largest or second largest exporter of natural gas only behind Qatar.

The lower Australian dollar is a huge plus for the economy, that's why there has been concerted and sustained efforts by the Reserve Bank to drive it or trend it downwards from its highs.

Mining, mining, mining and drilling.

Now prices are dropping and iron ore for starters is almost not profitable to produce. Way too much reliance on exports, the majority being dug out of the ground.

Almost everything we wear or have electronic is made in China, and will cost more to buy as a result of the dollar dropping.

Look at housing. 40 years ago, a small 2 bedroom house cost 3 years salary to buy. This year the median price is $563,000, and the average salary is $75k per year. Result. 7.5 years salary! no wonder husbands and wives have to work for some years to make a dent in the mortgage.

post-111567-0-14021600-1418881677_thumb.

Hi SOPHON, and other Aussies who may be interested. I have been dealing through OZFOREX for some 2 years (Macquarie bank). They far exceed the exchange rates offered at any time offered by the other Oz banks. Set up requires verbal (telephone) contact, no doubt relating to money laundering, and other T related matters. I thoroughly recommend them, efficient and easy process. Google aforementioned if you are interested. Along with their quote they list the other bank exchange rates - always better than a Baht better (eg transfer 5 grand then 5,000B better off. Also a flat charge of $15 - s..ts on other bank transfer fees.

Hi Norm,

I just checked them out. the $15 fee is a bonus compared to my current bank, but I transfer in AUD to my Thai bank, so I can't see any other benefit other than the saving in the transfer fee, unless I'm missing something.

I agree their exchange rate is 1.4 baht better than my current Aussie Bank but as I said I transfer in AUD and then it is exchange into baht at my Thai bank which today at 26.53 .. ozforex were quoting me 26.3 and my Aussie bank 24.9.

Transferring in AUD has been the best way for me to date.

As for the lower exchange rate .. just need to live it until the cycles back up a bit.

post-79249-0-81667000-1418881743_thumb.j

"Australia exports very little now its all made in China---Jessi"

Jessi, Please................... blink.png

---------------

http://www.dfat.gov.au/publications/trade/trade-at-a-glance-2011.html

Means nothing. We in Canada have almost balanced our budget but in these funny money times no credit is given. Our currency is in the same boat as the land of OZ. I have a hard time believing the SET is the 3rd best stock market in Asia or maybe the world for that matter. The US stock market is vacuuming up money from around the world. Do you think Russian Oligarths will accept a 50% haircut in the ruble not bloody likely. Its the same for all the rich world wide who live in countries with currencies in free fall. Even though the American unemployment rate has fallen to 5.8% which is considered full employment Yellan and company still in a "steady as she goes" mode. This will only drive the dollar higher and soak up yet more fallen currencies. This will soon impact the USA and the world the as cheap imports flood the country and their expensive exports will go no where.

• Like 2

The sooner the Abbott Government is removed, and responsible economic planning returns - eg increasing focus on renewable energy resources and move away from mining, and economic diversification - the better.

Most Australian economists know that Chinese demand for Australia's coal, iron ore, etc. would have to peak and decline once Chinese growth peaked.

Poor economic planning Hockey et al.

The decline in the A$ will probably lead to greater inflation, greater unemployment, a further slide in the A$ and more misery for us expat Aussies who have most of our financial assets, such as pensions and super, back in Ozland.

You blaming the Abbott govt for the dollars decline? What about the RGR mob and the idiot Swan as treasurer? This was always going to happen...the historical average for the A$ v US$ is 0.75c. So we're heading there again. Inflation around the whole world is negligible, and countries like Japan are trying to manufacture it. It won't be a problem in Oz. Unemployment is caused by a HIGH dollar...Employment is created by a LOW dollar...Economics 101 in advanced economies.

Your greenie attitude to renewables is typical of your ilk. How can domestic renewables help exports? can't. Diversify into what? you didn't offer a suggestion. Welfare benefits in Oz are too high, wages are too high, half the working population don't pay any tax after entitlements and subsidies are factored In. There Is worse to come, and you will still be blaming any conservative or Liberal you can...Or maybe "the Rich". They're always a good target.

As for your "misery"If you are an expat with a pension and Super, as you seem to suggest. Manage the problem yourself. It's not rocket science. 60% of my Super is in USD and Asian currency assets. I actively manage my Super. If you relying on the pension...Well...you should have saved more.

Stop whinging.

Typical arrogant, blinkered LNP, born to rule, I'm OK - stuff you Jack response. It's smug a-holes like you that make me wish for a global stock market collapse so I can watch you throw yourself off your condo balconies.

Not sure if you live here in Oz or in LOS, but if you were here, you would know the mad monk Abbott and his idiot treasurer have sucked all confidence out of the domestic economy. We are now staring down the barrel of a recession in 2015 due to cigar smokin' Joe's highly divisive, poorly negotiated, unfair and rich biased austere budget which is still yet to pass the senate. If you don't accept my comments, then I refer you to the recent OECD remarks.

Try running a SME in a climate where unemployment is steadily on the rise and people decline spending any dollar for fear of losing their jobs the next day or having the financial rug pulled out from underneath them due to Abbott/Hockey austerity measures - yeah, it worked so well for Europe didn't it. Hockey was a mergers and acquisitions lawyer for Chrissake and now he's the country's treasurer???!!!. At least his wife might have some clue being a high ranking executive for the NAB - mind you they haven't exactly set the world on fire in recent years either.

Frankly I don't care if Abbott & Hockey are rolled internally by Julie Bishop & Malcolm Turnbull or have to succumb to a double dissolution election - just get rid of these pair of clowns now before the entire country is flushed down the toilet for the next 50 years. If we have to wait until the 2016 election to get rid of Toxic Tony, God knows what damage he and his cronies will do in that time or who we could be at war with due to one of his unfiltered, hair brained, offensive remarks like "shirt-fronting" a head of state. If these guys stay in power, 75 cents in the dollar will seem like a bargain - more realistic will be banana republic sub 50 cent levels.

Whilst the Gillard Government was no bed of roses and Rudd was highly disruptive to Country and Party after he was rolled by Shorten & Gillard, Howard & Costello spent the proceeds of the mining boom peak and then some by ramping up middle class welfare to ridiculous levels in order to win elections (see $5000 baby bonus policy & others) and spending untold billions fighting 2 pointless wars that had nothing to do with us and subsequently leaving a structural deficit this country will take decades to recover from. You may also remember a little event called the GFC during the Rudd term which Oz managed to avoid by maintaining the economy's overall confidence level whilst Doctor No, Abbott, howled for austerity which would have turned the lights out and kept them out at least until now.

If there's one thing I do admire about you lahgon29, it's your dog like blind loyalty to Abbott & Hockey. Even rusted on LNP media supporters like Andrew Bolt and Allan Jones have desserted them thinking "oh God, what have we done?" by helping him get elected.

• Like 2

starre....

Nah , you are wrong..Rudd and Gillard wasted alot of money and now Shorten wont even let the savings past the senate that they themselves announced before the election..Labour is not letting the coalition get savings through the senate for their own political gain at the countries expense...every economist in Australia says that the budget needs to be corrected or Oz will be in trouble soon , labour has stopped all the savings going through and has not given any alternatives...they are just suffing the country...little old NZ is performing alot better ..with no raw material riches that Australia has..just through good economic management...and they dont have a senate that opposes all savings...in NZ the elected govt has the power to governwink.png

• Like 2

iNo doubt its a worry but we all knew this has been coming for a while. My first trip here it was 19 baht to the Aus$ then for years it hovered around 22-23. I was jumping over the moon the first time it hit 27. Granted we Aussies have had a dream run the last few years with the 30 and over. I was lucky enough to transfer 50k here when it was 32 but the ass was always going to fall out. As others have posted don't worry about the baht worry about how it will affect, your super and pension and savings back in Oz. Tough times ahead. Especially when this resources boom finally shuts down. Unemployment will go through the roof, with the destruction of the auto industry and now we have this governments relentless attack on the maritime, mining and construction industry. The fact that we manufacture fuk all and have very little industry left. Then their bizarre policy of stopping boat people while at the same time promoting the use of foreign labourers and 457 visas to bring down costs, it doesn't bode well for the youth of Australia.

• Like 2

The sooner the Abbott Government is removed, and responsible economic planning returns - eg increasing focus on renewable energy resources and move away from mining, and economic diversification - the better.

Most Australian economists know that Chinese demand for Australia's coal, iron ore, etc. would have to peak and decline once Chinese growth peaked.

Poor economic planning Hockey et al.

The decline in the A$ will probably lead to greater inflation, greater unemployment, a further slide in the A$ and more misery for us expat Aussies who have most of our financial assets, such as pensions and super, back in Ozland.

You blaming the Abbott govt for the dollars decline? What about the RGR mob and the idiot Swan as treasurer? This was always going to happen...the historical average for the A$ v US$ is 0.75c. So we're heading there again. Inflation around the whole world is negligible, and countries like Japan are trying to manufacture it. It won't be a problem in Oz. Unemployment is caused by a HIGH dollar...Employment is created by a LOW dollar...Economics 101 in advanced economies.

Your greenie attitude to renewables is typical of your ilk. How can domestic renewables help exports? can't. Diversify into what? you didn't offer a suggestion. Welfare benefits in Oz are too high, wages are too high, half the working population don't pay any tax after entitlements and subsidies are factored In. There Is worse to come, and you will still be blaming any conservative or Liberal you can...Or maybe "the Rich". They're always a good target.

As for your "misery"If you are an expat with a pension and Super, as you seem to suggest. Manage the problem yourself. It's not rocket science. 60% of my Super is in USD and Asian currency assets. I actively manage my Super. If you relying on the pension...Well...you should have saved more.

Stop whinging.

Typical arrogant, blinkered LNP, born to rule, I'm OK - stuff you Jack response. It's smug a-holes like you that make me wish for a global stock market collapse so I can watch you throw yourself off your condo balconies.

Not sure if you live here in Oz or in LOS, but if you were here, you would know the mad monk Abbott and his idiot treasurer have sucked all confidence out of the domestic economy. We are now staring down the barrel of a recession in 2015 due to cigar smokin' Joe's highly divisive, poorly negotiated, unfair and rich biased austere budget which is still yet to pass the senate. If you don't accept my comments, then I refer you to the recent OECD remarks.

Try running a SME in a climate where unemployment is steadily on the rise and people decline spending any dollar for fear of losing their jobs the next day or having the financial rug pulled out from underneath them due to Abbott/Hockey austerity measures - yeah, it worked so well for Europe didn't it. Hockey was a mergers and acquisitions lawyer for Chrissake and now he's the country's treasurer???!!!. At least his wife might have some clue being a high ranking executive for the NAB - mind you they haven't exactly set the world on fire in recent years either.

Frankly I don't care if Abbott & Hockey are rolled internally by Julie Bishop & Malcolm Turnbull or have to succumb to a double dissolution election - just get rid of these pair of clowns now before the entire country is flushed down the toilet for the next 50 years. If we have to wait until the 2016 election to get rid of Toxic Tony, God knows what damage he and his cronies will do in that time or who we could be at war with due to one of his unfiltered, hair brained, offensive remarks like "shirt-fronting" a head of state. If these guys stay in power, 75 cents in the dollar will seem like a bargain - more realistic will be banana republic sub 50 cent levels.

Whilst the Gillard Government was no bed of roses and Rudd was highly disruptive to Country and Party after he was rolled by Shorten & Gillard, Howard & Costello spent the proceeds of the mining boom peak and then some by ramping up middle class welfare to ridiculous levels in order to win elections (see $5000 baby bonus policy & others) and spending untold billions fighting 2 pointless wars that had nothing to do with us and subsequently leaving a structural deficit this country will take decades to recover from. You may also remember a little event called the GFC during the Rudd term which Oz managed to avoid by maintaining the economy's overall confidence level whilst Doctor No, Abbott, howled for austerity which would have turned the lights out and kept them out at least until now.

If there's one thing I do admire about you Hua Hin Jim, it's your dog like blind loyalty to Abbott & Hockey. Even rusted on LNP media supporters like Andrew Bolt and Allan Jones have desserted them thinking "oh God, what have we done?" by helping him get elected.

clap2.gif +1000

• Like 1

starky..."and now we have this governments relentless attack on the maritime, mining and construction industry."

...can you please explain what you mean by this "attack"...I must be missing something... you you are talking poos

I'm sure there is some logic in what you have written.

But mostly stating the bleeding obvious. A lower baht will assist with Thai exports.

Who woulda thunk that??

A true economic genius.

Perhaps you can explain it more fully.

Cheap Charlie Aussie tourists can afford to take an overseas holiday to Bali etc. While the Aussie Cheap Charlie expats and pensioners like you cannot afford to go anywhere.

Hope it doesn't drop too much old mate.....you mightn't have the 800,000 baht for your retirement extension much longer.

Is this what you are saying?