CW Immigration wait times becoming absurd, anyone else?

I'm headed up to take care of some visa issues next few weeks. I'm hearing that the wait times are now all day, in fact it might become a total fail and you might not get your business done at all. When things get to this point of failure, there is no guarantee of ever getting your business done.

I've recently heard and read waits are at all time worst ever.

Id read here on tv of complaints as well for both visa/extens and re.entry

A huge concern is getting the stupid bank letter. You have the letter but never even get your paperwork in front of the cops. Why do I know they will insist on a new letter next day you bet - tit.

What an political embarrassment.

Edited by Mencken

I went for an extension (Tourist) on Wednesday 3rd December. My ticket showed arrival at 9.02 and I had my passport back in my grubby paws by 9.40. It is the luck of the draw there I guess. The I/O was very efficient and speeding through people.

Edited by gilo

Thanks all. Yes, Joe exactly. Id read gere some weeks ago and a friend tells me its a huge mess for extensions.

And to Mario's point, my thinking as well. Totally slowservice, further backedup due to holidays.

Apologies not clear in initial post

Really worried about the bank letter.

Why is absolutely everything to do with Immigration such a fog and so slow and inconsistent. Its so old.

• Like 1

For most people a bank letter can be obtained in minutes one floor down so even if a new one required the next day it would not be too hard to do so. Exceptions would be a bank without a branch in building - but most do have them and people know how and will make letters fast.

• Like 2

People often don't want to believe it and take the risk, but it's faster to arrive at CW at 4pm, you'll be out in before it closes 4.30pm.

Wrong, you mean they stop issuing numbers at 4.30 pm, you can still be sat inside at 6.00 pm waiting to be attended to.

People often don't want to believe it and take the risk, but it's faster to arrive at CW at 4pm, you'll be out in before it closes 4.30pm.

Wrong, you mean they stop issuing numbers at 4.30 pm, you can still be sat inside at 6.00 pm waiting to be attended to.

Whatever, amounts to the same thing. Queueing system has closed.

Edited by jspill

Not sure if you guys are talking Chaeng Wattana/Bangkok or Chiang Mai immigration, but if talking Chaeng Wattana/Bangkok my retirement extension including getting the bank letter downstairs took approx 1.5 hrs in Sep....and doing my 90 day address report in Nov took about 20 minutes. However, but, there have been quite a few times when doing the 90 day report it has taken 1.5 hrs...guess I showed up on the wrong day when everyone else decided to show up....been very inconsistent on how long the 90 days report takes. But the retirement extension over the last 5 or so years always runs right around 1.5 hrs to accomplish including getting the bank letter.

I went yesterday to do my retirement extension.

Arrived at 9.30 ( after travelling for 1.5 hrs).

Out at 2.30 including 1 hour lunch break.

So 4 hours to actually do the extension.

This is the sixth time i have done it, and this was the longest.

Not sure why but some people where with the FIRST officer for up to 45 minutes.

I was with mine for 15 minutes, including her ignoring me and helping some other asian guy, who seemed to be having a problem.

Then she went over to talk to some one else for 5 minutes.

Then when i went with the paper work and passport with new stamp to the SECOND officer.

She stuffed around signing other paper work while i just sat there.

After awhile she took my paper work and passport, checked it then went away with my passport somewhere.

Then back in 5 minutes, not sure what that was all about.

Then she signed my passport and without one word just put it on the table in front of me.

NEVER got one smile or word from either of them.

The ONLY smile i got was from the lady at the xray machine when you go in.

Maybe she should be processing the applications.

I was going to do my re-entry visa too, but had enough by this, so will do another day.

Not a good experience at all, but like we say if you want to stay here you have to put up with it.

I went yesterday to do my retirement extension.

Arrived at 9.30 ( after travelling for 1.5 hrs).

Out at 2.30 including 1 hour lunch break.

So 4 hours to actually do the extension.

This is the sixth time i have done it, and this was the longest.

Not sure why but some people where with the FIRST officer for up to 45 minutes.

I was with mine for 15 minutes, including her ignoring me and helping some other asian guy, who seemed to be having a problem.

Then she went over to talk to some one else for 5 minutes.

Then when i went with the paper work and passport with new stamp to the SECOND officer.

She stuffed around signing other paper work while i just sat there.

After awhile she took my paper work and passport, checked it then went away with my passport somewhere.

Then back in 5 minutes, not sure what that was all about.

Then she signed my passport and without one word just put it on the table in front of me.

NEVER got one smile or word from either of them.

The ONLY smile i got was from the lady at the xray machine when you go in.

Maybe she should be processing the applications.

I was going to do my re-entry visa too, but had enough by this, so will do another day.

Not a good experience at all, but like we say if you want to stay here you have to put up with it.

Sorry forgot to say it was at Chaeng Wattana.

The 90 day reporting takes the whole day. You can avoid this by doing it by post. Or flying out.

I can't talk about normal visa extensions, as I am not doing those, but there seem to be processing quite fast, although the number of people could be high.

Reentry permits take maybe 15-20 minutes.

I don't think that's bad.

WOW your so lucky.

NEVER done a re-entry under 2 hours.

While on the subject of Chaeng Wattana some info on 90 day reports. There was a mention of it taking a long time for a 90 day report.

Take note of this from the immigration website.

From 2nd January, 2014, all foreigners residing in Bangkok will be able to provide their 90 days notification of residence at 2 additional offices, which are Immigration Service Center for 3 national Legalized Labors, Major Hollywood Suksawat and Imperial World Ladprao.

There have been reports of 90 day reports taking less than 10 minutes at both locations.

​More info on these locations can be found here. http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php?page=location

While on the subject of Chaeng Wattana some info on 90 day reports. There was a mention of it taking a long time for a 90 day report.

Take note of this from the immigration website.

From 2nd January, 2014, all foreigners residing in Bangkok will be able to provide their 90 days notification of residence at 2 additional offices, which are Immigration Service Center for 3 national Legalized Labors, Major Hollywood Suksawat and Imperial World Ladprao.

There have been reports of 90 day reports taking less than 10 minutes at both locations.

​More info on these locations can be found here. http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php?page=location

I concur with doing the 90 day reporting elsewhere. Going to CW takes at least 30 minutes for me (not including travel time). Going to Suksawat is normally 5 to 10 minutes.

I will be doing my visa extension (spousal) next week at CW. Hope it doesn't take too long. Last year had to split it between CW and Suksawat due to the protest shutting down the CW site. Remarkably there was no issue with renewal. I thought for sure it would be lost or delayed.

Was at CW 2 days ago for retirement extension, residence certificates and reentry permit.

I got there at around 9 am and left at 4 pm.

The bankletter and bankbook update I prepared one day before, however the immigration officer required another book update on the day of the extension.

Seems they don't trust you for even a single day, although my balance has been well over the required amount for more than 1.5 years.

There have been a few holidays in recent days and I guess the extra scrutiny of ED-visa extensions is making these extensions having a longer waiting time.

Is the extra scrutinised ED queue not the same as the queue for spouses with children? Could they not be separated to allow spouse with young children not to wait all day for apllication and again for pick up?

Went to Chaeng Wattana a week ago for 30 day extension. Arrived 11.00, out by 16.30, though it was only about 10 minutes from handing in my passport to getting it back, so the vast majority of time is waiting to get it to them (and of course with the obligatory lunch hour thrown in the mix!). CW certainly isn't the easiest place to get to (I'm in Silom), and was a nightmare getting back in the 5.00 traffic. Made for a long day.

Funny thing in my case (funny now, not at the time), there were 3 windows handling extensions, 2 receiving and one returning passports. When my number, 102, was called they had mistakenly allocated it to the 'return' window. When I walked in the guy said 'sorry sorry, wrong place', then turned spoke to someone then sent me back out to the waiting area. I waited expecting to be called next, but no, it was '103, 104' etc. Looked like I had missed my opportunity! Wasted another 30 minutes trying to get myself inserted back into the loop. Good times, good times. :)

Went to CW this morning for my annual Visa Extension (spousal). I arrived around 8:10 am and there was a really long line waiting to get into the immigration office which opens at 8:30. I was starting to think it was my mistake for going on a Monday. Anyway, I decided to go to Bangkok Bank first and get my deposit letter and update the bank book. By the time I was done with Bangkok Bank (which also opens at 8:30) it was around 8:45. I went back to immigration and waited in the queue line and got #30. It was then a 2 hour wait until they called my number just after 11:00 am. About 15 to 20 minutes later, I got my one month extension to come back for the one year stamp in mid January.

My mistake was not waiting in the long line to get the queue number first before going to Bangkok Bank but it probably didn't make that much of a difference. I was planning on being there all morning anyway and having a nice lunch somewhere in the building. So it all worked out. For the past 2 to 3 years, this has been my typical waiting time so I don't think it is any longer than usual.