Jomtien retirement extension -- a record?

Suradit69

I had planned to go to Jomtien to do my annual retirement extension today around 10:00 but my driver came way early.

09:08 arrived and got ticket.

09:08 my number was called

09:09 lady took my passport and documents

09:10 she asked me to sign paper about overstay (I think that's what I signed) while she checked my documents.

09:12 she gave me the red laminated number card and told me to come tomorrow around 10:00 to collect passport.

Finished!

It was about 38 days before my current extension expired. No question asked about that. I didn't ask.

Had the usual passport photocopies, passport, TM.7, Baht 1900, US embassy income affidavit (and documents to support the amount I claimed), had bank passbook and manager's letter dated yesterday although income affidavit was more than the Baht 65,000 requirement.

Amazing Thailand & Jomtien!

• Like 1

Hi. Good for you, but just surprised they told you to come back "tomorrow" when you were there at 9am ??

Always heard that if you go in morning before 10 or 11am you can get your passport back at 1-2pm...?

Yes, it isn't consistent. There was a time when you could sit there for the second officer to review everything and get the stamp and passport back more or less immediately. I think the last few times I was there, I was told to come back in the afternoon. This is the first time I went in early and was told to come back the next day. Probably something to do with the volume of applications in the works and the timing of when the one who signs off on the applications is around.

I was prepared for someone to say I had come in too early, more than 30 days before the current extension expires, so since that didn't happen and since the "ordeal" was over in under five minutes, I'm not complaining, especially after reading posts from people who have to deal with other immigration offices around Thailand.

Actually for me it's easier to ask the guy who drives me to come again tomorrow than to expect him to return again this afternoon. We did some shopping at Big C Extra after immigrations and the road traffic in Central Pattaya was really heavy for a Thursday, so tomorrow is fine with me.

Edited by Suradit69

Maybe less work load for them with fewer Ruskies around.

This morning the office was pretty crowded ... all the seats in the waiting area were occupied and lots of people standing about ... but it seemed a bit less hectic and chaotic than it's been at this time of the year in the past. I've always regretted timing my extension of stay renewals to pretty much the peak of the high season, but today's experience was definitely the best I can remember as far as speedy service is concerned. Thankfully most of the mob there today was not doing retirement extensions. Didn't stay long enough to pick up on languages overheard to say whether the Russian count was down, but it almost certainly must be given the knee-capping their currency is taking.

Hi. Good for you, but just surprised they told you to come back "tomorrow" when you were there at 9am ??

Always heard that if you go in morning before 10 or 11am you can get your passport back at 1-2pm...?

Dead right. I went at 11am and picked up my passport before 3pm. Anyway, I'm glad the guy is pleased. I used to hate it when I had to deal with the guy alone on the desk - before he had the lady assistant.

At one point there used to be a metal 'tree' fluttering with 100 baht notes. I assumed it was the change from offering 2000 baht and being expected to put the 100 on the tree,

Others will know if that is correct?. I certainly never did and that is probably why he used to stop and yap on his mobile before I had finished the process.

I'm not being negative about the current arrangements. They are a vast improvement on before and I was in and out yesterday in 3 minutes for my 90 day.

Dead right. I went at 11am and picked up my passport before 3pm. Anyway, I'm glad the guy is pleased. I used to hate it when I had to deal with the guy alone on the desk - before he had the lady assistant.

At one point there used to be a metal 'tree' fluttering with 100 baht notes. I assumed it was the change from offering 2000 baht and being expected to put the 100 on the tree,

Others will know if that is correct?. I certainly never did and that is probably why he used to stop and yap on his mobile before I had finished the process.

I'm not being negative about the current arrangements. They are a vast improvement on before and I was in and out yesterday in 3 minutes for my 90 day.

"At one point there used to be a metal 'tree' fluttering with 100 baht notes. I assumed it was the change from offering 2000 baht and being expected to put the 100 on the tree,"

Have seen those in many places, though not recently. For charity ... I think usually with a Buddhist connection for some occasions. Have seen them at the security desk in my condo lobby and I think on the counter at one of the banks. A way to make merit, I guess.

• Like 1

Just to add to it.

Its about time only applicants were let into immigration or people who need to be there to assist the applicant.

Way to many, wives , boyfriends, girlfriends or what ever in the place.

Some times , some of the real old Guys / Girls are just left standing there for hours With no place to sit, but some lazy ass local shining her, his ass on a chair playing Line, face book or some other thing not to do with where they are.

Total selfish behavior of some people.

• Like 1

I had a similar excellent experience on Monday. I needed to do a 90 day report as well as apply for another 1 year retirement extension. I completed both within 10 minutes in spite of vast crowds milling around the office. I also had to go back the next day to pick up the passport, but that's usual as I go there around 2:00 PM. Great service thanks Chonburi Immigration. :)

• Like 2

I heard Jomtien office isn't asking for 'proof of residence' anymore when applying for retirement extension.

Anyone care to comment

If you are talking about the 90 day, then you are correct. I went on Wednesday and the lady just wanted my passport. She bought up my details on the computer and there was an automatic print out of a new 90 day slip which she put in my passport.

Hope that clarifies it.

• Like 1

Slight variation on years past. You go into a small office off the main floor, next to the retirement extension desk. I think it's the same lady who used to sit in the row behind the retirement extension row,

Anyway, no problem. Went in about 10:30. Handed in my card and was given my passport duly stamped until January 2016.

Edited by Suradit69

I heard Jomtien office isn't asking for 'proof of residence' anymore when applying for retirement extension.

Anyone care to comment???

I can't recall ever being asked for it for the retirement extension, but have seen posts by others who say they were asked for it. Not sure why it's sometimes one or the other. I always bring along a photocopy of my 3BB monthly statement, but apparently not required.

Time to move biggrin.png

Just seen the thread title about absurd waiting times at Chaeng Wattana wink.png

I went to Chaeng Wattana on the 20th November arrived just before 8-30 a.m and then the doors opened. Completed extension to my retirement visa, multiple entry and 90 day reporting and out by 11 a.m. with my passport stamped etc. The lady at the ticket desk even photocopied my just acquired retirement visa to add to my documents for the multiple entry visa. The multiple entry visa was probably the longer procedure with a longer queue.

Same Province, did my extension in Si Racha. They asked for the medical (which I didn't have) and also proof of residence which I had. After all papers and documents were ok, had to see the supervisor for a small interview, i.e, how many years in Thailand, where do I live, etc. Compared to Phuket , where I did the same for ten years seems more strict in Si Racha?

Anyone care to comment???

I can't recall ever being asked for it for the retirement extension, but have seen posts by others who say they were asked for it. Not sure why it's sometimes one or the other. I always bring along a photocopy of my 3BB monthly statement, but apparently not required.

ISTR reading that for one's first retirement extension Jomtien Immigrations asks for address proof, but for subsequent extensions they don't.

This year I let my retirement extension lapse since I was out of the country for seven months. So, when I went for an extension the last week of November, it was my "first" one and I was asked for proof of address. A copy of my Thai drivers license was sufficient.

• Like 1