Is that 3% legal?

Xrey24

They are just passing on the cost (that your bank charged them) for the convince of using plastic... It happens in the US also...

But more polite for a business to give a 3% discount for cash ;-)...

Edited by sfokevin
  • Like 1

Some places charge some don't. IME supermarkets don't charge. Some hardware stores do, can range from 1.5% - 3%, and some don't. I use the ones that don't charge now.

Find a dentist that don't charge I suppose.

^ That's for CC though.

Didn't think they could charge for debit card.

They are just passing on the cost (that your bank charged them) for the convince of using plastic... It happens in the US also...

But more polite for a business to give a 3% discount for cash ;-)...

As a former business owner, I believe the practice is illegal in the U.S.

When paying for something at a small private company you can always try to get a cash discount as they have to pay the card company a few % if a card is used.

When dealing with larger companies there is no big difference for them if you pay with card or cash. If with card they have to pay % to card company, if cash they have to pay for manpower to count, pack and security transport for cash to bank. In some cases it's actually more expensive for the trader to take cash!!

• Like 1

I have a Bangkok Bank debit card. My dentist charged me 3% fees, just like a credit card.

Is she allowed to do this?

Thanks and have a nice day!

If the card says Visa or Mastercard the merchant is usually charged 3% by their bank, the merchant usually pass this cost on. They can charge what ever they like as a fee for accepting a card, remember Thailand is a cash economy, so cash is king. You did well to find a place that would accept a card, it is not easy to become a merchant in Thailand.

In Australia the card processor I use in my taxi charges the customer a flat 11% fee for accepting any card, be it a bank issued EFTPOS card or a Diners Club card.

Always remember to ask what fees there are in using plastic, cash is king!

I have a Bangkok Bank debit card. My dentist charged me 3% fees, just like a credit card.

Is she allowed to do this?

Thanks and have a nice day!

If the card says Visa or Mastercard the merchant is usually charged 3% by their bank, the merchant usually pass this cost on. They can charge what ever they like as a fee for accepting a card, remember Thailand is a cash economy, so cash is king. You did well to find a place that would accept a card, it is not easy to become a merchant in Thailand.

In Australia the card processor I use in my taxi charges the customer a flat 11% fee for accepting any card, be it a bank issued EFTPOS card or a Diners Club card.

Always remember to ask what fees there are in using plastic, cash is king!

things must have changed since you had your shop.

It's pretty easy getting a credit card machine, and both my contract with the bank as a merchant as well as my contracts for my personal credit card state that you are not allowed to pass on the commission for the bank.

Whenever I encountered this, I call the bank in front of the merchant, ask whether this is correct and before I even have to pass the phone to the cashier, the extra charge is waived.