Parking at Had Lek Border

johnnort

Hi Guys!

Was planning to drive to Sihanoukville, Cambodia from Rayong, but am now contemplating parking up on the Thai side and bussing it from Koh Kong. I am pretty clued up, I think, about the crossing by foot then bus and taking the car across options but know nothing about secure parking for the car.

My wife and I will be departing on the 22nd Dec. and returning 12 days later. Is there secure parking at Had Lek border, and if so where and how much will it cost, or is it best to park in Trat and use public transport to the border. If this latter suggestion is the option to take, where is there parking in Trat?

Older TV reports claim the Cambodians take 100 Baht per day for each day one keeps ones vehicle in Cambodia. Is this true of today?

Thank you in advance for any info.

You are right about paying 100 Baht per day to take the car into Cambodia, which is paid on the Cambodian side. As long as you are comfortable with driving on the right hand side of the road, with your steering wheel also on the right, then I wouldn't hesitate about taking the car into Cambodia as there is very little traffic once over there.

Since there is no official system or agreement for bringing private vehicles across the Thai-Cambodian border yet, each border decides how this is done and the agreement at the Hat Lek/Koh Kong border is that officially, you aren't supposed to drive out of the border province (Koh Kong) though in reality nothing is stopping you from doing so. If you were to bring your car into Cambodia at that border, make sure you agree with customs if they tell you you aren't supposed to leave Koh Kong province (which means driving up to Sre Ambel, 150km away is OK as far as customs is concerned).

The only other concern I would have is that there won't be any insurance for your car at the border though, unless you can arrange something in advance through Phnom Penh. Apparently by sometime next year an official system will come into effect, but not sure about the timing, which in any case won't affect you as you are planning on going next week.

Of course only if your car is fully paid off and if the vehicle owner isn't present, a power of attorney to take the car out of the country will be required. A car on finance requires the permission of the finance company, which is at the discretion of the finance company but anecdotal reports suggest they generally won't give permission.

If any of that concerns you, you may park right next to the border - there's a parking lot literally 10m from passport control. You will see it just before the border gate, you turn left and a large parking lot there will charge you 200 Baht per day for parking. The security guards there are generally Cambodians and on the receipt you get it will say "Koh Kong Resort", even though you're still in Thailand. I've parked there on 3 occasions and always trouble free. The longest period I parked there was for around 12 days in July during the rainy season - I covered my car with a car cover and everything was fine.

I therefore wouldn't recommend parking all the way in Trat, some 90km from the border. It would be a hassle even to find parking there in the first place, not to mention finding transport to the border, which is not all that frequent. Since parking at the border is perfectly safe and convenient, at least drive there and park at the aforementioned car park.

On the Cambodian side you could also try a taxi, such as a private or share taxi to Sihanoukville. Personally I've only ever travelled between that border and Phnom Penh, and was charged around $75 for a private transfer. For the front seat only you can get it down to around $35-40 or so, but then you'd have to share with others. One rear seat should only be around $15-$20 or so per person.

To Sihanoukville it should be a little cheaper; I'd aim to pay around $50-60 for a private taxi but depending on the time of day and the driver you may have to settle for between $60-70, but definitely not more than $70 as Sihanoukville is a little closer to Koh Kong than Phnom Penh is.

If you wanted to bus it you'd first need to spend around $7 on a tuk-tuk or $3 per person for a motorcycle taxi to town (or up to $10 or 300 Baht for a private taxi) for the 10km into town and then hopefully you'll find a bus that can still get you to Sihanoukville the same day. Buses depart from the bus station at the edge of town. However, as I once took the bus from Phnom Penh to Koh Kong I recall there were only 1-2 departures per day and both in the morning - for Sihanoukville I can't imagine there'd be more than one daily bus but perhaps someone who has done the trip by bus would know the schedules better.

My recommendation would therefore be to take a taxi as you won't have to worry about needing to stay overnight in Koh Kong, but having said that, I much prefer Koh Kong to Sihanoukville as a holiday destination. Sure, it's quieter and there's little in the way of nightlife, but if you're looking for some nice beaches, island tours, waterfall tours, mangrove tours etc. then Koh Kong is a pretty good destination.

Thank you Tomtomtom69 for your extensive answer. Although living in Thailand I am a Brit that has had a house in France far too long. Consequently, driving UK vehicles in Europe and European vehicles in the UK, driving arse about face cars is not a concern. My wife and I have booked our accommodation within Cambodia from and including the 23rd right through; lucky we did as everything seems now to be fully booked; but have left the 22nd free for decision making. A late afternoon and evening in a hotel in Koh Kong and relaxing morning ac coach to Suhanoukville and renting an mc while there sounded a nice alternative to driving. I now know the parking situation in Hat Lek thanks to you so will probably not make any decisions until we reach the border. By the way is parking outside a hotel in Koh Kong safe from car rustlers? Rustlers? Well that is what I have heard on the cambodia border!!!!!!

I recommend the Asia Hotel in Koh Kong. KK is generally a safe town, certainly much safer than Sihanoukville (which will be heaving over Xmas btw and don't expect any good Xmas dinners). The bus trip from KK to SHV is a bit lengthy, try to ensure your bus goes direct, sometimes you take the PP bus and then change buses on Highway 4.

Thanks for that DEQ. It is looking favorite to drive ourselves at the moment but we will note what you say if we take the bus option. We have booked now a night at the KK Bay Hotel, just by the bridge. Xmas lunch? Give us shell fish in any form and we will be happy.

The VIP rooms at the Asia Hotel opposite are very good, especially room 301 as it is on the corner and has a good view of the bridge. Last year we paid $30 there. Also the restaurant attached to the left of the Asia Hotel is good. I think parking outside either hotel will be safe.

As for Xmas lunch, in KK a good option would be Crab House (not Crab Shack although that would be also be good but less salubrious).

Tomtomtom69, Did you mean you can negotiate with the border people to let you drive outside Koh Kong Province when you say ¨to agree with customs?¨

Nope, I meant you just tell them that you won't exit the province, even if you will. They won't know where you've been anyway. They are very easygoing, but I wouldn't say anything that they don't want to hear.

My tip is to never volunteer any information unless you are pressed for it or someone tells you or asks you something. Therefore, if the Koh Kong customs officers DON'T mention leaving the province, you say nothing. If they DO mention that you are not allowed to drive outside the province, then you agree with them by answering their question: "where do you intend to go?" so you just answer something like "around here" or "just in Koh Kong" and you'll be fine. As I mentioned, you can go elsewhere, but you don't want to tell them that.

I recommend the Asia Hotel in Koh Kong. KK is generally a safe town, certainly much safer than Sihanoukville (which will be heaving over Xmas btw and don't expect any good Xmas dinners). The bus trip from KK to SHV is a bit lengthy, try to ensure your bus goes direct, sometimes you take the PP bus and then change buses on Highway 4.

In that case a taxi is so much better - you can depart directly from the border at anytime and head directly to wherever you want to go. Sihanoukville is possibly the most popular destination from Koh Kong apart from Phnom Penh.

As I've stated, it should be around $50-70 for a taxi from the Cham Yeam border in Koh Kong to Sihanoukville, depending on your negotiating skills.

Thank you Tomtomtom69 for your extensive answer. Although living in Thailand I am a Brit that has had a house in France far too long. Consequently, driving UK vehicles in Europe and European vehicles in the UK, driving arse about face cars is not a concern. My wife and I have booked our accommodation within Cambodia from and including the 23rd right through; lucky we did as everything seems now to be fully booked; but have left the 22nd free for decision making. A late afternoon and evening in a hotel in Koh Kong and relaxing morning ac coach to Suhanoukville and renting an mc while there sounded a nice alternative to driving. I now know the parking situation in Hat Lek thanks to you so will probably not make any decisions until we reach the border. By the way is parking outside a hotel in Koh Kong safe from car rustlers? Rustlers? Well that is what I have heard on the cambodia border!!!!!!

Good to hear you are experienced with driving vehicles with the steering wheel on the opposite side to the norm in a particular country - it's not something that many people are used to, so if you decided to drive within Cambodia you'd probably be fine.

Parking outside a hotel in Koh Kong is perfectly safe and there are always some Thai/Cambodian vehicles parked outside.

If you were thinking about driving into Koh Kong and parking at a hotel there, while you take other transportation to Sihanoukville, that should work too if you agree to spend a night at said hotel and/or pay a daily parking fee, depending on what they say. However, with safe parking at Hat Lek I personally would probably either park there or even drive to Sihanouk, but I have entertained the option of parking at a Koh Kong hotel and by all accounts it should be fine. Or you could try the Laurent Cafe also on the riverfront, whose owner is French I believe. I'm sure he/she would be happy to help.

On the other hand, motorcycles/scooters/bicycles are best parked inside or wherever the hotel staff tell you.

Well guys I decided to drive to Sihanouk and am so glad I did. Will write a report when I return on xing and drive and a little of our experiences so as other people wishing to do same can get an up To date appraisal.

By the way Tomtomtom69 it is now xmas day evening and we had a more than great British Xmas day lunch with all the trimmings and party hats. We passed by five venues, and not hotel restaurants, offering this so I guess there must be more. 5USD, 7USD, 12USD, 14USD and 20USD. We had more than we could eat of,both chicken and pork with crackling, roast pots, carrots, cauliflower, peas, broccoli, stuffing, Yorkshire puddings and lashings of gravy and paid 7USD.. .

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
On 12/25/2014 at 6:21 PM, johnnort said:

Well guys I decided to drive to Sihanouk and am so glad I did. Will write a report when I return on xing and drive and a little of our experiences so as other people wishing to do same can get an up To date appraisal.

By the way Tomtomtom69 it is now xmas day evening and we had a more than great British Xmas day lunch with all the trimmings and party hats. We passed by five venues, and not hotel restaurants, offering this so I guess there must be more. 5USD, 7USD, 12USD, 14USD and 20USD. We had more than we could eat of,both chicken and pork with crackling, roast pots, carrots, cauliflower, peas, broccoli, stuffing, Yorkshire puddings and lashings of gravy and paid 7USD.. .

The road to sihanouk is in good condition?

Archived