Hotel Recomendation

LuckyLew

So my Mother is making a long trek to Thailand to meet her Grandaughter and we are in the process of looking for a hotel in Bangkok

She is 75 years old and is looking for a centrally located hotel

Price per night around 100 USD

She will be booking the hotel for 2 weeks straight.

Looking to be near a BTS station on Sukhimvit - max 10 minute walk

Somewhere between Siam Paragon and Asoke would be nice

Nice spacious room, clean and well kept

Swimming pool is a must

Breakfast include would be a bonus

Quiter the better, not located on top of a booming dance club would be nice

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

LL

I stayed or lived at the Somerset service apartment/hotel on Soi 16, the nearest BTS station would be Asoke station.

Although its about a 400 meter walk inside Soi 16, the Somerset does have a hotel TukTuk to shuttle customers from the

hotel to the main drag (Sukhumvit road). There is another Somerset (Citadel) on 16 nearby but I haven't stayed there, also there is

a small Foodland supermarket there.

At the Somerset, there are 2 towers each with a pool a gym also a washer/dryer and a kitchen in the unit.

I believe the Somerset is affiliated to the Ascot chain hotels.

• Like 1

The hotel at Terminal 21 would fit the bill probably.

Dream hotel on Soi 15 is pretty good too and inside budget with a rooftop pool....its a decent place.

My mate visited recently and stayed at U Sukhumvit a bit further down Soi 15 and raved about the place. Its about 15 minutes walk to Asoke BTS but they have free tuk tuks running to and fro till late evening. Its only about 6 months old and he said spotlessly clean with brilliantly friendly staff and all mod cons. Apparently they have a policy where you can check out at the same time of day as you checked in and if you don't make brekkie you can order it a la carte at any time of day anywhere in the hotel. I spent an evening with him at their rooftop pool over a few drinks. Dead peaceful and the view over the asoke skyline was lovely. Its nearly opposite NIST international school.

• Like 1

Personally I would stay away from that polluted area and stay closer to the river. Centrepoint Silom would be my choice. A 66 sq. m. apartment with a river view is within her budget.
The Skytrain(Saphan Taksin) is a minute's walk and the River Taxi equally near. Your neighbours are the Shangri La and the Mandarin Oriental.

I've stayed in the best of what Bangkok has to offer. Close to the river is the place to be. She can take breakfast at least once on the Verandah at the Oriental.
bangkok_restaurant_the_verandah_breakfas

Beats whatever Sukhumvit has to offer.
She can jump on a River Taxi for a few baht and be at the Grand Palace in fifteen minutes or stay on a bit longer to get to Phra Athit for the Khaosan Road area. It is also atop a Robinsons department store. So she has a private entrance to the store and a TOPS supermarket. So no need to go outside in the heat to stock up her refrigerator. Should also have a Washer/Dryer in the apartment. Useful for the independent 75 year old.

Also easy to get to Sukhumvit or Silom via the BTS...but it has the added advantage of easy access to the Old City.
You are also next to lebua at State Tower with Sirocco; the world's highest open-air restaurant(64th floor) with a panoramic view of Bangkok.

Try it, she'll like it. It's the place to stay and the way to see Bangkok. Forget about awful Sukhumvit, unless you expect to spend your time in Malls.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu
  • Like 1

You can book it via atSiam for around 44k for 14 nights in the Chaophraya Grand Deluxe (river view) : 66 sq.m room.

Guests can enjoy use of the outdoor swimming pool, fitness center, sauna, free WiFi, also a business center, conference room and coffee corner. Apartments provide the magnificent room with dining area, fully equipped kitchen, toaster, microwave, refrigerator, washing machine with dryer, iron amenities.

Take a look at TripAdvisor for up to date reviews.

I've made the effort as it's for your mum. wink.png

• Like 1

Very nice recommendation, Mr. JJ! What a view. We've stayed at several Centerpoint properties and have been happy with them all.

What will her activities be? Why will she be using the skytrain? For shopping and sightseeing or seeing family member?

The Marriott is a very nice property as are the Somerset properties. We stayed at the Somerset in Thong Lor a few months ago and loved it. Tuk tuk service to the BTS and a true 1BR serviced apartment, with washing machine and everything. Really nice and about about in her budget.

When you chose a property, see if they have a membership available. I just changed a reservation for next week and the operator told me to sign up for a 5% discount. The Somerset was offering some great deals earlier to their online members. Worth checking this out.

Also, this time of year, many pools are super cold. Many are in the shade all day and thus don't really warm up.

At 75, how is Mom's mobility? I ask because it's worth noting that most BTS stations have only 1 up escalator and none down...90+ steps from the train platform to the street; yes, I've counted! (Asok does have down escalators and some stations link to shopping malls where the escalators can be used.)

Forget about trying to get the lift some stations have...out of service 90% of the time.

The MRT is better, usually having escalators both ways. The Airport Rail Link also lacks down escalators in most stations, 120+ steps down await passengers exiting trains with baggage in hand.

I agree with Jui-Jitsu's suggestion...much better all around experience. The river is the soul of Bangkok.

Edited by dddave
  • Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions

It was her idea to stay near teh BTS for ease of getting around and being centrally located

He mobility is still good for 75 and she can get around

Riverside sounds like a good idea but it would be far from her main reason to visit, see her grandaughter

We live in Ramkhamhaeng and travel daily to riverfront would be tough every day

Have giive her the centerpoint location to look at as well as Novotel, holiday in and marriots and best westerns on suk

Just talking with wifey about this. Her brother went to the uni there, where you live. It was VERY difficult for her brother to get from where we were (MBK) to his apartment. Most taxis would refuse the fare and just drive off. I use to have to flag down a taxi, get in, let him in and then have my wife negotiate a fare. Even then, most would just refuse. It was about an hour taxi ride from MBK, and during rush hour, up to 2 hours. This was over 10 years ago when traffic wasn't as bad as it is now. But I'm sure you know about this better than us!

My wife recommends getting a place close to where you are and then she can take a taxi to either the MRT on Rama 9 or down to the BTS on Ekamai. Even then, as you know, traffic is a bugger.

What does she plan to do most of the day? If it's visiting you guys, best to stay nearby?????

Let's move this over to the Bangkok forum and perhaps others can help with this!! A link will be left in the travel forum also.

Topic Moved.

Just talking with wifey about this. Her brother went to the uni there, where you live. It was VERY difficult for her brother to get from where we were (MBK) to his apartment. Most taxis would refuse the fare and just drive off. I use to have to flag down a taxi, get in, let him in and then have my wife negotiate a fare. Even then, most would just refuse. It was about an hour taxi ride from MBK, and during rush hour, up to 2 hours. This was over 10 years ago when traffic wasn't as bad as it is now. But I'm sure you know about this better than us!

My wife recommends getting a place close to where you are and then she can take a taxi to either the MRT on Rama 9 or down to the BTS on Ekamai. Even then, as you know, traffic is a bugger.

What does she plan to do most of the day? If it's visiting you guys, best to stay nearby?????

Let's move this over to the Bangkok forum and perhaps others can help with this!! A link will be left in the travel forum also.

Topic Moved.

You are kind of right, where we lvie is a bit of a trek from MBK area

Idea would be to go along BTS to Prakanong the taxi go over to airport link and up to Ramkham on airport link

Either way will be a trek day in day out

Problem where we live are the hotel options are very limited and offer very few ammenities

Stayed once at nasa vegas and the room was the size of a show box, ok for a night but not for two weeks

Due to our location this make the riverfront ever more of an issue to get back and forth

My Sister & Brother in Law, both the same age as your mom stayed twice at Nasa-Vegas when visiting here; I live in Phra Khanong so it was convenient. They booked one of the "Executive Deluxe" or "Super Deluxe" rooms on Agoda for a very reasonable price and were really happy with it, definately not a "shoe box". I have stayed in their regular rooms also so I understand what you mean but these rooms are much better. I visited them in the room a number of times and was surprised how nice it was...check it out: www.nasavegashotel.com

They have finally completed the walkway over Rhamkhamheng Rd from the hotel to the ARL which itself has finally installed Up & Down escalators. We found it to be very convenient taking to ARL to either Makassan, now linked by walkway to Petchabury MRT ot to Phiya Thai BTS. The restaurant is not great but the morning breakfast buffet had pretty decent selections. Room service food was usually good and reasonably priced.

Taxis are usually easy to get in front of the hotel.

Have you considered the 'JASMINE Hotel & Resort", right at the Phra Khanong BTS? Very nice and newly furnished rooms, pool, fitness and a decent restaurant. A visiting friend stayed there last year and really liked it. More convenient to your location but still just a few stops from Sukhumvit shopping...also, she is more likely to get a seat on the Skytrain there than further down the line.

Edited by dddave

Thanks for the suggestions

It was her idea to stay near teh BTS for ease of getting around and being centrally located

He mobility is still good for 75 and she can get around

Riverside sounds like a good idea but it would be far from her main reason to visit, see her grandaughter

We live in Ramkhamhaeng and travel daily to riverfront would be tough every day

Have giive her the centerpoint location to look at as well as Novotel, holiday in and marriots and best westerns on suk

Take the 2 Bedroom 183 sq m. suite and move in with her....or take a one bedroom apartment next to hers....or take two smaller 45 sq. m rooms. Whassermatterwithyou? smile.png Ok, it is waay over budget. wink.png

There is also Centrepoint Pratunam. Their apartments are 47 sq. m and well within budget at US$70 per night.

A bit easier for you perhaps. Almost opposite Pantip Plaza if you want to get your bearings on where it is. Comes in at under 29k(US$883) for a fourteen day stay. Leaves some cash in the kitty for the odd taxi or even to take an extra apartment there, so that you can stay there for the weekend, in order to stay together.

My Sister & Brother in Law, both the same age as your mom stayed twice at Nasa-Vegas when visiting here; I live in Phra Khanong so it was convenient. They booked one of the "Executive Deluxe" or "Super Deluxe" rooms on Agoda for a very reasonable price and were really happy with it, definately not a "shoe box". I have stayed in their regular rooms also so I understand what you mean but these rooms are much better. I visited them in the room a number of times and was surprised how nice it was...check it out: www.nasavegashotel.com

They have finally completed the walkway over Rhamkhamheng Rd from the hotel to the ARL which itself has finally installed Up & Down escalators. We found it to be very convenient taking to ARL to either Makassan, now linked by walkway to Petchabury MRT ot to Phiya Thai BTS. The restaurant is not great but the morning breakfast buffet had pretty decent selections. Room service food was usually good and reasonably priced.

Have you considered the 'JASMINE Hotel & Resort", right at the Phra Khanong BTS? Very nice and newly furnished rooms, pool, fitness and a decent restaurant. A visiting friend stayed there last year and really liked it. More convenient to your location but still just a few stops from Sukhumvit shopping...also, she is more likely to get a seat on the Skytrain there than further down the line.

No pool at Nasa Vegas and the rooms you describe are only 32 sq. m.

Jasmine seems more convenient and spacious, though no outside space in the form of a balcony.

Jasmine seems more convenient and spacious, though no outside space in the form of a balcony.

I wouldn't book my dog into the Nasa Vegas really...awful rooms.

Can second the CentrePoint in Pratunam though....its a good spot with excellent suites.

I have had a fair number of guests stay at Novotel Siam Square, and while the rooms aren't that great, but IMO it is the best location in town, particulaly for people not interested in the sex trade.

Why would that be the 'best location in town'? I've stayed in that area many times and find no reason to describe it as such. Perhaps you can explain.

It's great if you like malls, but what else is there?

Thanks for all the continued input

The Jasmine does look really nice and is a better location IMO

I have sent the details to her to see if she is interested

Nasa Vegas is out due to no pool

I wouldn't book my dog into the Nasa Vegas really...awful rooms.

Can second the CentrePoint in Pratunam though....its a good spot with excellent suites.

In addition, Centre Pratunam(Petchburi Soi 15) have adjoining rooms. So conceivably they could book an adjoining apartment for the weekends. 4 nights at 8360 baht. (US$255). In total US$1138. Still under the US$1400 budget.

Then at the weekends they'll have a 94 sq m. suite at their disposal with two kitchens, two bathrooms, two TVs etc.... and no need to make the journey back to Ramkamheng and certainly more of an opportunity to spend quality time with the grand daughter.

One thing worth mentioning is that I would enquire with atSiam before booking, if the price shown is for an apartment with kitchen; as some have kitchens and some don't. It states on the description that they have a kitchenette, though it may be worth having confirmation beforehand. One could also request adjoining rooms at the same time.

The only negative thing is that it does not sit atop a Skytrain station. I would say the closest is around an 800 meter walk. There are two BTS(Phaya Thai & Ratchathewi) and two ARL stations(Ratchaprarop & Phaya Thai) within a kilometer. Siam square is nearby. I'd say it was a decent location and the price is right.

Not sure what you mean by the area, but as far as I know, the Novotel is the only hotel on Siam Square.

Theaters, restaurants, schools, street shows, promotions, bakeries, coffee shops, bars, shopping, people, BTS Suk & Silom all easy walking distance.

I stay there whenever I take the dog to the vet. Great place to walk the dog.

What is there to do at the Centerpoint?

Do you think the Jasmine looks nice? I think that it is better than Nasa for sure, but it still wouldn't be my choice. The only thing that it has going for it is that it is next to a BTS station.

Do you think the Jasmine looks nice? I think that it is better than Nasa for sure, but it still wouldn't be my choice. The only thing that it has going for it is that it is next to a BTS station.

No ... also a lot of facilities and amenities

Is also closer to where we are so easy to get back and forth so she can spend more time with her granddaughter, kind of half way between us and downtown

She is not interessted in the service appartment/room and does not really want to be by the river, she wants to be close to her GD

Not sure what you mean by the area, but as far as I know, the Novotel is the only hotel on Siam Square.

Theaters, restaurants, schools, street shows, promotions, bakeries, coffee shops, bars, shopping, people, BTS Suk & Silom all easy walking distance.

Why would the OP's mum need a school? I doubt she'll be walking a dog there any time soon and I'm sure that she's not interested in a place with an 'upmarket' pickup joint/nightclub in it's basement.

Most of the things that you mention are outside the hotel. Centrepoint Pratunam is just down the road from Siam Square and the accommodation is much better than what is offered at the Novotel at that price point.

There is no reason to stay on Siam Square in order to partake of any of it's benefits. Centrepoint Pratunam is less than a kilometer away.The Rail Link stops closer to Centrepoint Pratunam.

In fact for location, I would choose Centrepoint Silom.

Not that I am knocking your suggestion, as I have often stayed in the area and utilise the cinemas there....but I would choose a river location over a 30 sq. m room in a mall city and I would choose Centrepoint as you get more for your money.

Novotel

Standard Rooms @ a minimum of US$100

30-square-metre Standard room, with a Queen bed or Twin Single beds, offering comfort with modern amenities, stylish decoration ideal for both leisure and business travelers. Amenities include large screen television, individual control air-conditioning, in-room safe, mini-bar, tea/coffee facilities, direct dial telephone, hair dryer, bathrobes and slippers.

Centrepoint Pratunam

Deluxe Premium @ US$70

Spacious single room of 47 sq.m. with one king bed, one bathroom (integrated shower and bathtub) and kitchen.

2 Bottled water - complimentary for daily contract

Air Conditioner

Bath amenities-complimentary for daily contract

Cable / Satellite TV

CD / DVD / Stereo System

Dining Table/chairs

Electronic Door Lock

Hair dryer (on request)

Internet Access (wireless)

Iron&Ironing Board (on request)

Microwave

Refrigerator

Safety box

Voltage 220-240

So you have more space and more facilities, suitable for entertaining others.

You also have the opportunity to get adjoining rooms within budget or to have two Queen beds in a single room(for up to four people) for 3610 baht(US$110) per night. So enough room for the family to stay over....within budget.

The Novotel standard room will eat the whole budget, at the very least. So I agree with most of what you wrote...but disagree with "best location". :)

Is also closer to where we are so easy to get back and forth so she can spend more time with her granddaughter, kind of half way between us and downtown

She is not interessted in the service appartment/room and does not really want to be by the river, she wants to be close to her GD

Wanting to be close to her granddaughter? Then why the back and forth? It would make sense to me that you would find a place where you could actually stay together for some time....the point of a fully equipped apartment. But it seems that went over your head.

Why would the OP's mum need a school? I doubt she'll be walking a dog there any time soon and I'm sure that she's not interested in a place with an 'upmarket' pickup joint/nightclub in it's basement.

Most of the things that you mention are outside the hotel. Centrepoint Pratunam is just down the road from Siam Square and the accommodation is much better than what is offered at the Novotel at that price point.

There is no reason to stay on Siam Square in order to partake of any of it's benefits. Centrepoint Pratunam is less than a kilometer away.The Rail Link stops closer to Centrepoint Pratunam.

Not that I am knocking your suggestion, as I have often stayed in the area and utilise the cinemas there....but I would choose a river location over a 30 sq. m room in a mall city and I would choose Centrepoint as you get more for your money.

Novotel

30-square-metre Standard room, with a Queen bed or Twin Single beds, offering comfort with modern amenities, stylish decoration ideal for both leisure and business travelers. Amenities include large screen television, individual control air-conditioning, in-room safe, mini-bar, tea/coffee facilities, direct dial telephone, hair dryer, bathrobes and slippers.

Centrepoint Pratunam

Deluxe Premium @ US$70

Spacious single room of 47 sq.m. with one king bed, one bathroom (integrated shower and bathtub) and kitchen.

Air Conditioner

Cable / Satellite TV

CD / DVD / Stereo System

Dining Table/chairs

Electronic Door Lock

Hair dryer (on request)

Microwave

Refrigerator

Safety box

Voltage 220-240

You also have the opportunity to get adjoining rooms within budget or to have two Queen beds in a single room(for up to four people) for 3610 baht(US$110) per night. So enough room for the family to stay over....within budget.

The Novotel standard room will eat the whole budget, at the very least. So I agree with most of what you wrote...but disagree with "best location". smile.png

Again, what is there to do at the Centerpoint?

Novotel

Centrepoint Pratunam

Deluxe Premium @ US$70

Air Conditioner

Cable / Satellite TV

CD / DVD / Stereo System

Dining Table/chairs

Electronic Door Lock

Hair dryer (on request)

Microwave

Refrigerator

Safety box

Voltage 220-240

The Novotel standard room will eat the whole budget, at the very least. So I agree with most of what you wrote...but disagree with "best location". smile.png

Again, what is there to do at the Centerpoint?

Entertain the whole family with the extra available space and facilities, including balcony, a private outdoor area. If they want to go to the Siam Square area it is minutes away. I know this is all going over your head, but at least others reading will be able to understand. wink.png

I live in London, I don't need to base myself in SOHO in order to avail myself of the cinemas and coffee shops there. There are cinemas and coffee shops elsewhere too. But I can be in the West End in less than ten minutes. Similarly, if one wanted to go to the Siam area, they could be there in perhaps five minutes from Centrepoint.

The relevance of my statement, apart from the obvious, is that I actually used to live in SOHO, in a two bedroom apartment in Brewer Street, but now I live minutes away in a four story house. Much better for entertaining friends and family....and there are still bakeries, cinemas, shops etc where I live. Whilst in SOHO, I had even more on my doorstop, including prostitutes plying their wares. Remarkably similarly to your choice of destination....if you know what I mean.

So again, I've stayed in the area and the Square has the same rats running around as does everywhere else.It's no imposition to have superior accommodation a few more minutes away. It's not as if the cinema is in the Novotel. You still have to travel to the mall. We are writing about a few minutes here. Whoooosh....and over your head.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

Wanting to be close to her granddaughter? Then why the back and forth? It would make sense to me that you would find a place where you could actually stay together for some time....the point of a fully equipped apartment. But it seems that went over your head.

Why are you so hostile?

Have already said she does not want a serviced appaetment

You have your opinions but they do not suit are needs

Why are you so hostile?

Have already said she does not want a serviced appaetment

You have your opinions but they do not suit are needs

Is English not your first language?

What has a serviced apartment got to do with anything?

What if the Jasmine were a Serviced Apartment? Would you reject it then?

In answer to your question, I don't have much respect for stupid people. Perhaps you can answer mine. If she wants to be close to her granddaughter, then why don't you stay together?