Daughter's fight to bring father back to UK after devastating Thailand bike crash

webfact

Daughter’s fight to bring father home after devastating Thailand bike crash
A daughter has made a desperate plea for help after her father was badly hurt in a motorcycle accident in Thailand.

THAILAND: -- Former police officer Bob Anthony was paralysed after breaking his neck in the accident and is now in hospital on a ventilator breathing via a tracheotomy.

His daughter Nadine is desperately trying to raise up to £50,000 to bring him home as the family cannot afford the medical fees in Thailand .

Mr Anthony, aged 54, who served with West Mercia Police in Kidderminster for 20 years, was found lying in a ditch after an accident in Pattaya in Thailand about two weeks ago.

He has a broken neck, which left him paralysed after the crash and he breathes through a ventilator via a tracheotomy.

Miss Anthony, aged 26, who lives in Kidderminster, said: “We are appealing for any help to get him home.

“His condition is critical and he needs to be in the United Kingdom to receive surgery and rehabilitation if any recovery is possible.

“We are not certain how my father was injured. He was found lying in a ditch.

His wife, Kate, Nadine’s stepmother, is by his side and son Steven is flying out to Thailand.

“My father served with distinction in the Royal Signals for 14 years and immediately afterwards joined West Mercia Police in Kidderminster.

Full story: http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2014/12/18/daughters-fight-to-bring-father-home-after-devastating-thailand-bike-crash/

-- Express & Star 2014-12-19

• Like 1

I should say hospital fees are not cheap around Pattaya. I would also raise the question why he does not have insurance cover? Betime Thai government enforces insurance cover for tourists? Either you need to show an insurance certificate or buy Thai compulsory insurance on entry to the country?

• Like 2

Some insurance companies do not insure people driving motorbikes in Thailand and it voids there insurance

All Insurance companies void insurance if the person doesn't hold a valid motorbike licence, or is drunk on on drugs. If you are living long term here you can buy locally sold medical insurance at reasonable rates . Or if you don't buy insurance, you make sure you have access to cash/credit card to pay medical bills/repatriation.

• Like 2

Some insurance companies do not insure people driving motorbikes in Thailand and it voids there insurance

Then don't drive motorbike on your holiday. how difficult is it??

He played the lottery and lost. And now the family expect others to pick up the bill .

They family don't expect other to pay, but asking/begging for help. That's different.

Apparently he moved to Thailand two years ago so travel insurance wouldn't be applicable.

However, health/accident insurance should be taken out by everyone living here, if they don't have the funds to self insure.

Totally agree but there is a limit on the payouts of all insurance policies. This is why he needs to get back to the uk where he will be taken care of by the NHS

A very sad situation. One that is unfortunately repeated way too often here. Proper insurance is a must, as is a proper license. Both of which are easily obtained.

I self insure and keep a fair amount of cash available in case of an emergency. Even then, a bad accident can leave you with millions of Baht in bills. And a trip to the pokey if you don't pay up.

This is the reason I don't drive scooters. Just not worth the risk here.

Sounds to me like the unfortunate gentleman in question was also self-insured.

You know you have been in Thailand to long, when you start saying I'm not helping no one less fortunate than me with money problems. In my country if there is a story like this, they always put a name and bank account number. People who want to donate can just go down to the bank and pop it in. What is the point of this article, if no option to donate.

I was trying last time to ask help from here, when a friend of mine had simultaneously accindent . Thaivisa will not allowing it. I was talking to the mods about it in a private mail.

• Like 1

You know you have been in Thailand to long, when you start saying I'm not helping no one less fortunate than me with money problems. In my country if there is a story like this, they always put a name and bank account number. People who want to donate can just go down to the bank and pop it in. What is the point of this article, if no option to donate.

I was trying last time to ask help from here, when a friend of mine had simultaneously accindent . Thaivisa will not allowing it. I was talking to the mods about it in a private mail.

Yes, it is against forum rules. Very difficult for us to verify all the information. But I'm sure if somebody is really interested, they could find a way.

Best of luck to this gentleman and his family.

In the past people have tried to take advantage of this forum to try to raise funds for various nefarious purposes, so all pleas for donations are banned.

Rule# 22)

Members are forbidden to ask for or accept donations, gifts or commissions from other members, any charities must contact support for approval before joining. before joining to be approved.

In some previous cases like this people have started Facebook pages to assist with fund raising. Links to such a page would generally be allowed.

Edited by Old Croc
  • Like 1

@JOC. You obviously don't know the difference between the word expect vs desperately trying to raise. You should really think before you open your mouth or at the very least learn to read. You are a sad little man with a heart made out of s*it.

• Like 2

Bit of bad reporting about this story. They have omitted the fact that this guy has retired over here and has been here for the last 2 years so any sort of holiday insurance is not possible. It is the cost of repatriating him that they are trying to get money for. How many people have insurance with no limit on it? Also how many expats have insurance that covers repatriation?

To answer the last part of your comment, my insurance does via SOS and the limit on my insurance for a case this would be around £ 1 million and I believe the premium my company pays for me is around £1900 a year via a UK medical insurance company Edited by Soutpeel

In the past people have tried to take advantage of this forum to try to raise funds for various nefarious purposes, so all pleas for donations are banned.

Rule# 22)

Members are forbidden to ask for or accept donations, gifts or commissions from other members, any charities must contact support for approval before joining. before joining to be approved.

In some previous cases like this people have started Facebook pages to assist with fund raising. Links to such a page would generally be allowed.

There's some good information here:

http://www.chiangraitimes.com/daughters-struggle-to-bring-father-home-after-tragic-accident-in-pattaya.html

"Some insurance companies do not insure people driving motorbikes in Thailand..."

Hmmmm. I wonder why not?

Perhaps there is an EXTREMELY HIGH PROBABILITY that a motorbike driver WHO CONSUMES ALCOHOL IN EXCESSIVE AMOUNTS (see thread on NYE and alcohol) in Thailand will eventually have a serious accident and the insurance company will lose money?

• Like 1

He played the lottery and lost. And now the family expect others to pick up the bill .

It never ceases to amaze me how heartless some of the TV posters can be, I wonder what your life really looks like? Are you really in the position to throw stones?

You had better pray that others have more mercy, love and understanding than you seem to have if something ever befalls you.

• Like 1

Many travel insurance policies have clauses that restrict the types of motorcycles that can be ridden when abroad, for example my policy doesn't allow me to ride large bikes over 200cc otherwise I'd need to get another policy that covers large bikes. An additional premium is payable on top of the usual premium to cover you for riding motorcycles, which includes simply being a pillion passenger. Therefore, if you aren't covered you shouldn't even be a passenger on a motorcycle taxi, for example.

I had a minor motorcycle accident a few months ago, it was very minor and I only suffered a few cuts and bruises on my right leg and right elbow area and was covered 100%, but I did pay the additional premium so there was piece of mind. Even though the accident occurred on a private road, if I hadn't followed any of the many requirements to be covered (e.g. valid licence, wearing a helmet etc.) I wouldn't have been covered at all.

You're right that you need to think carefully about whether to ride a motorcycle or not when on holiday. The best advice is if you can't be covered by some form of medical insurance in the event of an accident don't even think about it, even if you are an experienced rider. Conversely, if you aren't an experienced rider (few westerners who don't live here or own a motorcycle back home are, since motorcycles are rare in the west) even if you can receive medical coverage I wouldn't recommend riding here whilst on holidays either.

• Like 1