Daughter's fight to bring father back to UK after devastating Thailand bike crash

webfact

Apparently he moved to Thailand two years ago so travel insurance wouldn't be applicable.

However, health/accident insurance should be taken out by everyone living here, if they don't have the funds to self insure.

Totally agree but there is a limit on the payouts of all insurance policies. This is why he needs to get back to the uk where he will be taken care of by the NHS

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought I read quite recently that British expats were no longer entitled to NHS treatment once they'd left the uk for more than 6 months ?

Anybody from anywhere is entitled to emergency NHS treatment, at any time. An ex-pat holding a British passport has as much entitlement as a Pole, Muslim, Paki, Scouser or tramp.

• Like 1

Apparently he moved to Thailand two years ago so travel insurance wouldn't be applicable.

However, health/accident insurance should be taken out by everyone living here, if they don't have the funds to self insure.

Totally agree but there is a limit on the payouts of all insurance policies. This is why he needs to get back to the uk where he will be taken care of by the NHS

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought I read quite recently that British expats were no longer entitled to NHS treatment once they'd left the uk for more than 6 months ?

Anybody from anywhere is entitled to emergency NHS treatment, at any time. An ex-pat holding a British passport has as much entitlement as a Pole, Muslim, Paki, Scouser or tramp.

..............and is as it should be.

• Like 1

This should be an eye opener for anyone traveling to or in Thailand. Be forewarned that you have adequate protection and most of all money. Thais want money. They will keep this poor soul until someone in his family pays up.

Yes hospitals want and need money. What has this to do with thailand?

Daughter’s fight to bring father home after devastating Thailand bike crash

A daughter has made a desperate plea for help after her father was badly hurt in a motorcycle accident in Thailand.

THAILAND: -- Former police officer Bob Anthony was paralysed after breaking his neck in the accident and is now in hospital on a ventilator breathing via a tracheotomy.

His daughter Nadine is desperately trying to raise up to £50,000 to bring him home as the family cannot afford the medical fees in Thailand .

Mr Anthony, aged 54, who served with West Mercia Police in Kidderminster for 20 years, was found lying in a ditch after an accident in Pattaya in Thailand about two weeks ago.

He has a broken neck, which left him paralysed after the crash and he breathes through a ventilator via a tracheotomy.

Miss Anthony, aged 26, who lives in Kidderminster, said: “We are appealing for any help to get him home.

“His condition is critical and he needs to be in the United Kingdom to receive surgery and rehabilitation if any recovery is possible.

“We are not certain how my father was injured. He was found lying in a ditch.

His wife, Kate, Nadine’s stepmother, is by his side and son Steven is flying out to Thailand.

“My father served with distinction in the Royal Signals for 14 years and immediately afterwards joined West Mercia Police in Kidderminster.

Full story: http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2014/12/18/daughters-fight-to-bring-father-home-after-devastating-thailand-bike-crash/

-- Express & Star 2014-12-19

A policeman and no insurance? You got to be kidding me... i feel sorry for the family maybe the police fund would be a good place to start..good luck to you.

You can get some insurance by paying a bit more for your kasikorn atm card. This does cover motorbike accidents, irrespective of having a license, etc. Wife has claimed a couple of times on this and they appear to pay half. Probably need to read the fine print. Think it costs about 500 baht a year and well worth it.

It's very simple, if you live here you need a good health insurance , I do not ride motobikes but I am covered for all sorts of accidents through BUPA. And it doesnt cost a fortune. Yes he played in the lottery and lost. At least he has a good family to help him so hopefully he will get the right treatment.

Why don't people buy comprehensive insurance when they travel? I just don't get it sad.png

You are a very cold hearted man. If you look outside you nose tip and don't think see me, I has a inssurence im a clever boy and think about martial laws are infect and maybe he's not able to get insurance.

I know the feelings with this poor guys family. I have been there, so I know how hard it is.

My advice to you. Try to get some feelings in your life and don't be so cold bas*****

So you pay the 50000 then, it is just plain ignorant if you don't insure yourself if you know you don't have enough money to pay that sort of bills.

Then everybody has to feel sorry for them and help them out of there misery. Buy a few beers less and sort it out before you get on the plane.

Bit of bad reporting about this story. They have omitted the fact that this guy has retired over here and has been here for the last 2 years so any sort of holiday insurance is not possible. It is the cost of repatriating him that they are trying to get money for. How many people have insurance with no limit on it? Also how many expats have insurance that covers repatriation?

I you are gonna retire somewhere sort out your insurance first. That a lot of people don't give a shit and start begging when it goes wrong makes no difference.

He should have known better with his long career in the force, must have seen loads of accidents.

Any British citizen who is resident abroad isn't entitled to free treatment from the NHS until they have lived back in the UK for a period of 1 year. How do I know? I too had a serious motorcycle accident here in Bangkok suffering a brachial plexus injury paralysing my right arm, a fractured shoulder blade, 2 broken ribs, a punctured lung, and a broken right leg and ankle requiring more metal than an East End scrapyard. Following my recovery I went back to the UK to visit family and ended up iin hospital when my leg gave way. I was billed for the subsequent treatment. As soon as you give them your National Insurance number a quick look up tells them everything they need to know about you. It's only free at point of entry, i.e. immediate emergency treatment in A&E. Unfortunately, this guy's family are facing a huge bill back in Blighty for his treatment there.

Bit of bad reporting about this story. They have omitted the fact that this guy has retired over here and has been here for the last 2 years so any sort of holiday insurance is not possible. It is the cost of repatriating him that they are trying to get money for. How many people have insurance with no limit on it? Also how many expats have insurance that covers repatriation?

If he has been here for the last two years then he will have to go private in the UK not the NH,that's got to be more expensive than Thailand

Repatriation has been mentioned here, I have been living here as a non resident of UK for many years, I have BUPA worldwide (except US) costing about 5K Sterling per year, ( Based on me living in Thailand, as private treatment here is so much cheaper than UK ) I dropped the repatriation cover a couple of years back, after being told that you would only be covered IF, the treatment was not available here,

The family should try the www.gofundme.com website. You can set up a fund that people can donate to help you. I've donated many times to different causes....and yes, I know some people could be scamming. A chance you take and you can donate as much--or as little as you like. Altruism is a wonderful thing.

And no, I don't work for or receive any financial benefit from www.gofundme.com

The family should try the www.gofundme.com website. You can set up a fund that people can donate to help you. I've donated many times to different causes....and yes, I know some people could be scamming. A chance you take and you can donate as much--or as little as you like. Altruism is a wonderful thing.

And no, I don't work for or receive any financial benefit from www.gofundme.com

Before someone sarcastically asks, "Didn't you read ALL the threads(?), they've already done that." The thread was getting off topic from the original post--as most do, before I saw the one about the family setting up the justgiving fund. I had given up on the thread actually being constructive, so stopped reading after a few posts.

Any British citizen who is resident abroad isn't entitled to free treatment from the NHS until they have lived back in the UK for a period of 1 year. How do I know? I too had a serious motorcycle accident here in Bangkok suffering a brachial plexus injury paralysing my right arm, a fractured shoulder blade, 2 broken ribs, a punctured lung, and a broken right leg and ankle requiring more metal than an East End scrapyard. Following my recovery I went back to the UK to visit family and ended up iin hospital when my leg gave way. I was billed for the subsequent treatment. As soon as you give them your National Insurance number a quick look up tells them everything they need to know about you. It's only free at point of entry, i.e. immediate emergency treatment in A&E. Unfortunately, this guy's family are facing a huge bill back in Blighty for his treatment there.

Did you pay the bill the UK hospital presented to you?

If you paid it then its fair as you could afford to pay it.

If you didn't pay it because you couldn't afford to pay, then again that is good because that's the way the NHS should be able to operate.

Several years ago I bought an insurance policy from a company called "RETURN ASSURED" in the USA.. At that time it cost me US$250 and is good till I die. It will return my body to my home in the US from anywhere in the world (Except within 50 miles of my home) at no cost to my family.

And even though I have this insurance I don't race around on a 'Chopper' inviting trouble the way I see many foreign tourists/expats doing in a drunken state, as I see much to often in Pattaya and elsewhere.

Just yesterday a drunken farang tourist/expat motorcyclist died from his own stupidity in BAN CHANG, a quaint little town just 45 minutes south of Pattaya where there is a number of girly bars and Golf Courses. It attracts a few crazy bikers as well as just regular bar crawlers and this guy apparently drank too much and decided to make a show of his expertise on his bike, while 'under the influence'

Too many learn too late about drinking and driving and very possibly as in this case the family who loves him are the ones to suffer. You can't feel sorry for those who 'ask for it' but you can (as I do) feel very sad for the loved ones who pay that horrible price unnecessarily.

This could be an eye opener for a few that I see almost daily.............. THINK ABOUT THE ONES THAT YOU WILL HURT........................

Interesting order you place the entitled, couldn't help but notice that a Pole or a Tramp are the most important (depending on starting with or finishing with least important) which of course leaves the question for the Scousers to ask. Edited by 8OA8

This should be an eye opener for anyone traveling to or in Thailand. Be forewarned that you have adequate protection and most of all money. Thais want money. They will keep this poor soul until someone in his family pays up.

Really? Only in Thailand, right? This never happens in any other country on the planet, right?

I think you should have stopped writing when you got to "...for anyone travelling."

• Like 1

Why don't people buy comprehensive insurance when they travel? I just don't get it sad.png

You are a very cold hearted man. If you look outside you nose tip and don't think see me, I has a inssurence im a clever boy and think about martial laws are infect and maybe he's not able to get insurance.

I know the feelings with this poor guys family. I have been there, so I know how hard it is.

My advice to you. Try to get some feelings in your life and don't be so cold bas*****

i agree carstenp

Does the RAF do Air Evacuation Flights ?? As a Flight Engineer in the USAF we did. We also had Training Missions with the Flight Surgeons and Flight Nurses/Technicians.

I bet there is some goodhearted millionaire who do that with his pocket change.

Get Sir Elton John to do a concert for the aid of this chap.

Enough !!

I wonder if the daughter in this situation realises that she may be about to begin a new life as a dedicated carer with the potential for her father to be housed with her rather than a (Private/NHS) hospital bed?

In this situation it is not the victim I feel sorry for but his loved ones who may be about to embark on a life changing journey. Hopefully they will be seeking to find out the level of care and which services may / may not be available. It will be interesting to see what the NHS do in the case since treatment (non-A&E) is based on residency not a passport.

Does the RAF do Air Evacuation Flights ?? As a Flight Engineer in the USAF we did. We also had Training Missions with the Flight Surgeons and Flight Nurses/Technicians.

I bet there is some goodhearted millionaire who do that with his pocket change.

Get Sir Elton John to do a concert for the aid of this chap.

Enough !!

I assume only for serving military personal injured in combat, training, or for serious illness or injuries while posted abroad.

I wonder if the daughter in this situation realises that she may be about to begin a new life as a dedicated carer with the potential for her father to be housed with her rather than a (Private/NHS) hospital bed?

In this situation it is not the victim I feel sorry for but his loved ones who may be about to embark on a life changing journey. Hopefully they will be seeking to find out the level of care and which services may / may not be available. It will be interesting to see what the NHS do in the case since treatment (non-A&E) is based on residency not a passport.

my views are that when anyone puts themselves outside the jurisdiction of the UK tax collectors they should not able to return to the UK for free treatment, but unfortunately by having British citizenship they have legal right to do so and in the UK everybody who needs treatment will get it, even if they are not entitled to free treatment and can not pay.

I have felt for a long time those who have not say reached the age of 65, and are not paying or receiving NI credits should be paying a flat rate contribution particularly those living abroad, and before passports are renewed the passport office should check with work and pensions that the applicant is up to date with their NI contributions.

I have a diffferent story on local insurance in Thailand. I am 66 years old, and married to a Thai. We looked at mny places for health insurance and the only company who would cover me was an international company that wanted $500 a month to cover me for up to about 3 million TB. Since I cannnot afford that amount of money I have decided to stay back in the States and, sadly, visit my wife and family in Thailand only when I can scrape up enough for a round trip ticket. When I do go back for a trip you can bet I will have the best insurance policy I can buy. I wish I had some way to contribute money to helping this man get back home

Some insurance companies do not insure people driving motorbikes in Thailand and it voids there insurance

All Insurance companies void insurance if the person doesn't hold a valid motorbike licence, or is drunk on on drugs.

If you are living long term here you can buy locally sold medical insurance at reasonable rates .

Or if you don't buy insurance, you make sure you have access to cash/credit card to pay medical bills/repatriation.