ThaiVisa Poster of the Year 2014 Vote Now!

smokie36

629 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favourite poster of 2014?.....Vote now!

• Costas
    • David48
    • Jingthing
    • NancyL

This poll is closed to new votes

I hope when JT is Poll Lord he cuts the election down to a week or less from 12 days. Ridiculous amount of time allowed for this IMO.

I suppose, it's a little like travelling.

Some folk just want to get from A -> B in the fastest possible time.

Some folk just want to enjoy getting from A -> B in other words, they enjoy the journey.

In years past, usually the POTY has been an enjoyable journey, mainly due to the good humour of it's participants and contributors.

Sadly, this year, that sense of fun is sadly missing and the Goal (the winner) is viewed (by some) asthe prize ... not the journey.

IMHO ... the Journey is much more important ... and Fun.

• Like 1

I hope when JT is Poll Lord he cuts the election down to a week or less from 12 days. Ridiculous amount of time allowed for this IMO.

Some folk just want to enjoy getting from A -> B in other words, they enjoy the journey.

In years past, usually the POTY has been an enjoyable journey, mainly due to the good humour of it's participants and contributors.

Sadly, this year, that sense of fun is sadly missing and the Goal (the winner) is viewed (by some) asthe prize ... not the journey.

Well said that man!

Again, the contest is way too long and I'm sure most sensible people would agree with that.

In fact I would bet the house on that.

Good thing or bad thing, there is such a thing as TOO MUCH of a good thing (and certainly a bad thing).

Speaking of which, please vote for me: JINGTHING

Could someone please point me toward Costas's badger milking threads so I can get up to speed. His reputation hasn't spread as far as Chiang Mai. Apparently the critters don't live in the mountains.

Mancy,

Costas might like to let you play with his super sized TGAU.

Are you familiar with the product?

He he

No, I must admit that I'm not familiar with a TGAU. Can you enlighten me?

But, I'd bet that Costas has never been propositioned by Alan Hall to invest his life savings in some shady investment deal that promised 20% return in a Channel Island bank I'd never hear of. Oh and we could have immediate access to our money any time we wanted. True story. Alan tried that when we were fresh off the boat.

Since real banks in the rest of world were only paying about 6 - 7% (at most) we laughed him off. We figured everyone else did. Guess not. And now somehow it's my fault.

See, each candidate has their own "local" stories.

so youre there to give advice to expats but when you KNOW there is a shark cruising among your members you dont bother raising an alarm?? lol

Good question. Alan Hall propositioned us in 2006. I was little surprised because he did seem to offer health insurance and renters insurance products that checked out OK. In fact we still have our health insurance thru the same London-based company and it's paid claims. Quite a few of our friends do and it's also paid claims for them-- big time. So it was a puzzlement why he'd be flogging such a ludicrous investment opportunity. But we left it and didn't think much about it.

I didn't really get involved in the community service activities until 2010 and I wasn't aware that he was continuing to flog the investments. This isn't something you go around talking to people about. The clients we assist with Lanna Care Net aren't the sort who have a big baht to invest. They aren't the people who consider themselves to be victimized by Alan Hall.

Edited by NancyL

handbag time again. My money is on Mrs Doubtfire

Indeed.

NancyL would be the betting favorite.

Until the final bell, I'm STILL the underdog.

Always the underdog.

Bummer.

Jingthing ... Just how can you be the underdog when you lead the Poll by a comfortable margin (10%) and have 50% more votes then the current 3rd and 4th place getters combined?

Lets deal in facts and not get carried away with the 'Woe is me' ... 'Vote for me'.

Again, the contest is way too long and I'm sure most sensible people would agree with that.

Good thing or bad thing, there is such a thing as TOO MUCH of a good thing (and certainly a bad thing).

Midnight on 30th Dec....start writing your speech! ;)

Do keep it civil. We have some good candidates. I actually had to look a little at the posting history before deciding, BUT all have made contributions that are extraordinary. Some with volume and numbers, some with sheer information, some with colorful and thoughtful insight.

Politics is dirty, but try to stay above the fray and may the best Man...or Woman....win.

Deciding on Miss Congeniality will be a real challenge, from reading this thread.

Sorry, I have been withdrawn chummy.............sad.png .................smile.png

• Like 2

handbag time again. My money is on Mrs Doubtfire

Indeed.

NancyL would be the betting favorite.

Until the final bell, I'm STILL the underdog.

Always the underdog.

Bummer.

Jingthing ... Just how can you be the underdog when you lead the Poll by a comfortable margin (10%) and have 50% more votes then the current 3rd and 4th place getters combined?

Lets deal in facts and not get carried away with the 'Woe is me' ... 'Vote for me'.

Any rational person who has watched the huge voter swings in previous days knows for sure I do not have a comfortable lead. I have never won before though a number of years well in the running but always disappointed.

You have won. Good for you.

It would be IDIOTIC for me to be comfortable with this lead. So please do not mock my rational response of facing reality of not feeling secure with such a lead. Of course, at this stage, it appears to be between NancyL and myself (just last night WE WERE TIED) ... but that too has PLENTY of time to swing and SWING BIG.

Anyway:

Do the right thing with Jingthing!

Edited by Jingthing

Midnight on 30th Dec....start writing your speech! wink.png

Wait, it's 30 Dec or 31 Dec?

Never mind ... I see from the OP that it's 30 Dec.

Was that intentional to not end it on New Year's Eve but the night before?

Edited by Jingthing

Be that as it may, it's still way to long.

• Like 1

Be that as it may, it's still way to long.

Chinese water torture comes to mind.

Whoever is Poll Lord next year, time for a redo!

Do keep it civil. We have some good candidates. I actually had to look a little at the posting history before deciding, BUT all have made contributions that are extraordinary. Some with volume and numbers, some with sheer information, some with colorful and thoughtful insight.

Politics is dirty, but try to stay above the fray and may the best Man...or Woman....win.

Deciding on Miss Congeniality will be a real challenge, from reading this thread.

"We have some good candidates"

Really? ... That's great news... Are they joining in later? smile.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You know it makes sense: Vote None of the Above1.

1. A real alternative to: Mrs Doubtfire; Rainbowdash the prancing pony; Costas (aka Tom Conti) the Greek gigolo; and "Saint" David

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheers Fletch smile.png

clap2.gif ............Post of the day................thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Surprised that no one has mentioned it yet........you know the inevitable and classical, often reposted Thai Visa line.......

with all the work that the candidates are putting forth.....

" DO THEY HAVE A WORK PERMIT "

Unpaid for all, unrewarding for most.

I've heard that, due to the popularity of the thread, the Gods have decided that it should be extended till January the 2nd.

Give more time for the Journey.

Sort of like 'Slow Cooking' rather then 'Fast Food'.

Then again, while the source is creditiable, I can't confirm the facts ... so better to work towards Midnight (Thai time) Dec 31st.

Surprised that no one has mentioned it yet........you know the inevitable and classical, often reposted Thai Visa line.......

with all the work that the candidates are putting forth.....

" DO THEY HAVE A WORK PERMIT "

Unpaid for all, unrewarding for most.

To my Team ... you know you are due to be paid in Beer and TESCO Lunches!

Yes as I will be in an executive lounge on Hogmanay partaking of copious free drinks.

Its a hard life. :D

• Like 1