Angkor Wat Beer- Where to purchase or drink it in Pattaya

dannywla

I've heard this is a excellent beer. I have looked high and low at all the markets but have found none for sale. Is there anywhere I can purchase that?

Or do you know of any bars in Pattaya where I can buy it so I can mark this off my "Bucket List"?

Thanks for your insight.

Don't remember having seen it in Pattaya.

Now in Cambodia there is loads plus a few other local varieties.

Maybe when ASEAN comes in things might change

I think the usual Thai protectionism makes it difficult to import at the moment.

Yes, I am still amazed competition-sensitive Thailand allows Beer Lao in. Anyway, Angkor lager is quite nice but have never seen it anywhere in the farang-oriented supermarkets, i.e., Villa, Foodland, etc.

Actually it's called Angkor Beer. I don't think it has anything to do with wats or temples.

Angkor-Beer-Logo-y-big-3.gif

Don't remember having seen it in Pattaya.

Now in Cambodia there is loads plus a few other local varieties.

Maybe when ASEAN comes in things might change

I think the usual Thai protectionism makes it difficult to import at the moment.

According to this blog there's quite a selection of beers available, though probably not at your 7-Eleven or Lotus.

THE EXPATS GUIDE TO BEER IN THAILAND

JANUARY 27, 2014 MIKEE 17 COMMENTS

I’ve been living in Thailand for over a year and enjoy the odd beer, and by odd I mean the odder the better. Most tourists and expats only encounter the more well known brews in Thailand, and blog posts on Thai beer tend to ignore many of the interesting beers available in Thailand if you know where to look. There are literally hundreds of beers available from various restaurants, bars, retailers and wholesalers in the capital and beyond.

and much more: http://mikeestravels.com/2014/01/27/guide-to-beer-in-thailand/

Edited by Suradit69

I think Central Food hall has the biggest selection of beers after Villa. They both don't have it. I have never seen it for sale anywhere in Thailand... probably because they hate Cambodia.

"I'm surprised they allow Beerlao in"

They also allow Carlsberg and that horrible Joy beer from Vietnam in. Considering the price of these ASEAN brewed beers is pretty much the same as Thai beer I guess it can't be a tax thing.

You might wanna read up on distribution networks. Basically there is only a few companies (Singha, Chang and Heineken (same brewery as Tiger)) so it is really hard for a new brand to get distributed. I guess Carlsberg and Beerlao signed a contract with one of these big players to use their network. But this is just my guess.

The 300% excise duty Thailand levies on alcohol is not covered by Asean legislation, and there lies the problem. The Aussies were not at all pleased after they negotiated a free trade agreement and the discovered their wine was still the same price as Chilean wine. It's the same for Angkor beer ----- incidentally an excellent beer.

Actually it's called Angkor Beer. I don't think it has anything to do with wats or temples.

I forgot to say Angkor is brewed at the other end of the country from Siem Reap (temple town) in Sihanoukville. So yes, nothing to do with temples.

When I come back overland from Cambodia I buy a case of Cambodian beer on the Thai side. Usually they sell it in the closest shop once crossing the boarder. Both Angkor and Anchor are usually sold there and it is $15 in Cambodia and they only mark it up on the thai side by a hundred baht or so. I am not sure how legal it is but it is on the thai side so its already in Thailand. Bringing it over by oneself will be over the allowance of 2 liters.

Cambodian beer is very good and there is definitely something going on by not having it for sale anywhere in Thailand.

So if you really want the beer in Pattaya you could get some one a visa run to pick a case up for you or like my friend does with cigarettes you could get the driver to get it for you as they go daily.

Edited by marinediscoking

I forgot to say Angkor is brewed at the other end of the country from Siem Reap (temple town) in Sihanoukville. So yes, nothing to do with temples.

You say it has nothing to do with Angkor wat and nothing to do with temples.

So why is the name of the beer Angkor and why is there a picture of an Angkor wat temple on the labelwink.png

You say it has nothing to do with Angkor wat and nothing to do with temples.

So why is the name of the beer Angkor and why is there a picture of an Angkor wat temple on the labelwink.png

My last sentence was meant as a throw-away line. It was in reference to the OP's calling the beer Angkor Wat.

Yes, the Angkor brewery is on the hill in Sihanoukville just before you descend into the town. They do tours, I think the cost was around 300 Baht and included plenty of samples. Forget about drinking a Khmer beer in Thailand, go down the coast and enjoy it where it's made.

Yes, the Angkor brewery is on the hill in Sihanoukville just before you descend into the town. They do tours, I think the cost was around 300 Baht and included plenty of samples. Forget about drinking a Khmer beer in Thailand, go down the coast and enjoy it where it's made.

If Thailand was a real market-driven economy, tourists and expats would be spoiled for (affordable) choice, as they are in Cambodia and Vietnam. Take for example in Thailand, how many (legal) brew pubs are there? Less than a handful (Tawan Daeng and the Londoner, maybe one or two more). I am told the licence fee is 10 million baht. It's a market fully protected from competition. And again, I'm amazed Beerlao and San Miguel Pilsner (brewed in Thailand) got through the door.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp
  • Like 1

Is the legal limit for bringing beer back thru the Camby border as much as 2 litres per person? For some reason I thought it was only two cans.

Angkor is a good lager beer, but with small self-import limits I opt for the special interest ABC Stout. Not one you can drink a lot of but a can to savour when the mood takes me.

Edited by SantiSuk