Fireplace in CR?

Manassas

We are still contemplating the design for a new house. In light of the seasonal cold snap, we started discussing the pros and cons of putting in a fireplace. For me, I hate to give up the wall space necessary for a fireplace, but there is a certain charm of sitting around the fire at night and on cool mornings.

I am wondering if anyone has built one and whether they would do it again. And whether the materials are available to properly line a chimney and keep it maintained.

I have seen many living room fireplaces in expat developments in the south. So I'm guessing proper chimney liners are available. But I haven't seen any fireplaces around Chiang Rai. Perhaps they are not worth the expense. Like so many I do not use A/C in the great room and wondered if a fireplace might be useful to take the chill off during the cool months.

We will keep the outdoor fire pit of course. The family likes to gather around it and have breakfast. My wife likes the fireplaces she has seen in the States and has visions of cooking treats over the fire. But perhaps sticking with the heat pump is the way to go.

I find AjarnP’s story quite telling. We all do it during the dream or fantasy phase of building. Wouldn’t this be nice or wouldn’t that be interesting. You can’t possibly think of everything, so in my opinion it is best to focus on getting the basics right and allowing for additions, as needs and financial restraints dictate in the future.

One can get more bang for the buck by not over engineering or fixating on expensive gimmicks and gadgets. In short I would vote no on the fireplace. A well built house will be several degrees warmer inside than out, making anything more than a sweater and long pants unnecessary while inside.

My wife and I moved up here in '03 and I recall we felt very cold. Following on; in the house we designed I included a cast iron wood burning stove which I imported from New Zealand. (A whole other and quite amusing story)

Cutting a long story short; having built the house and installed the fire, it has never been lit.

Either it hasnt been that chilly again, or we just grew accustomed to the cool and bought jumpers instead.

An electric blanket is also a nice thing to have around for xtra cool nights......

in Oct. I built a very simple propane room heater and used it several evenings recently. It's a 40 gallon galvy barrel, vented and stood on end. It's propped up 8 inches from tile floor by cinder blocks. The bottom of the barrel is open and the top is closed except for a 3 inch vent stack which vents outside, with a cap to keep rain out. The vent extends down inside the barrel to about 6 inches from the bottom (open) end. A simple propane burner is placed under. The concept: fumes from the flames are forced to go in to the barrel cavity, and then vent out the vent stack. There's no timing device, so a user would have to be aware of turning it off, when done. For cold nights, I keep it at minimum flame. It's also good for keeping tea warm, warming socks, etc.

As for fireplaces: I've seen some which have been built in Thai houses, mostly for show. They don't work like real fireplaces that you'd find in farang countries. I was a chimney sweep in a former incarnation. Real fireplaces need a specially designed built-in 'smoke shelf' to work properly. Interesting to hear of the poster with a metal woodstove - neat idea, and more rare than heaters in cars here.