Advice needed

zlodnick

So this is what you actually should be looking into.

1,3,10 gb doesnt matter. Unlimited isnt unlimited. You should look at the speed they provide after you use up the 3gb etc. If you look into AIS they have 1gb unlimited for 299bht. After you used up 1gb they slow down the speed to 128kb/s

If you pay their 5gb for 799bht. After you used up 5gb they slow down your speed to 384 kb/s. That speed is sufficient for skype and youtube videos. 128 isnt.

Even the 10gb offer at highspeed you use up after some days using skype and youtube. Or check for a

I've been on an AIS 1-2call promo plan all year, initially they said only 3months max, but they keep extending it each month. 799 + tax for 12GB + AIS WIFI. They say its a 4GB plan with 8gb free, ..whatever...Ive never used it all. I think the throttle down speed is 256Kb

Dear OP, congratulations on getting this far so fast!

By now I guess you understand that your 1.5Gb is like the water in a tank, if you run a bath.

Turn the tap on fast, water runs out quick and then only comes in a slow trickle.

3Gb means the tank is twice as big.

We live in the styks and are lucky that there is a telephone line near our house.

3BB came and fitted the ADSL Modem and we get a speed of 10Mbs and unlimited Gbs = the water in the tank is always topped up.

Therefore we can run the tap fast and the water does not run out or slow down.

Skype and Youtube run well with good quality, not interrupted video and as you have been told, not expensive.

There is an initial installation charge and it is cheaper if you pay up front for the year.

For us less than 7,000b for the first year inc the installation charge.

Skype is free but only between computer to computer.

There is an option where you can have an account, pay some money and make calls to landlines, almost world wide for very little money.

You can purchase an annual plan where you can call any mobile in the country you choose for your plan and they include land lines for free.

We spend half out time in Thailand and half in Spain and we have a plan that lets us call any mobile in Thailand.

A god send. When out of Thailand, my wife can keep in touch with family and friends.

When in Thailand, she calls her friends mobile phones via Skype.

Saves us a fortune.

(If your missus is like mine she can chat to friends for at least an hour per day LOL)

Skype has a fair use policy and say that no phone call should last longer than two hours.

Just hang up and redial.....

Also you should not make repeated short calls to the same number......

We only just bought the 3BB service.

Previously, the office next door gave us access to their WiFi for free!

However, of late that had taken to turning it off outside office hours, which was a tad inconvenient, so we have our own servive.

The ADSL modem comes with a special cable that can plug directly between the modem and the computer.

The ADSL Modem also radiates WiFi so the smart phone, iPad etc also work.

When family visit, we give them the password to our WiFi and they also enjoy free WiFi from us.

On your laptop, have a look at that little internet WiFi icon on the bottom right and see if there are other WiFi signals available.

Or get a friend to look for you, (it depends if you have windows 7 or 8 etc. where the icon is)

If there are available WiFi signals, you could ask a neighbour if you can share their connection, pay something towards their costs, job done.

They would have to give you their password.

Finally, I went out and bought a "Samsung 32" Smart TV" it connects to the WiFi and now I can watch youtube, plus films, plus UK tv etc.

Also films downloaded and recorded on a USB stick or hard drive.......

The Smart TV specification says that the WiFi connection should be at least 10 Mb/s

We have exactly 10 Mb/s and it works fine.

Enjoy, treat yourself, why not LOL.

If you are out in the sticks you don't have many options, you can lower the quality manually inside youtube. 3 GB will give you double but also double throttled down speed for the rest of the month. Give it a go, also same with skype you can reduce vid quality, it's better than nowt.

+1

Only problem is I think that the OP is a complete novice.

He says that he does not understand technical terms.

I can relate to this.

My wife never used anything other than a dumb phone.

I have helped her to get to grips with a smart phone, Facebook (God help me LOL) Line, Skype etc.

My first personal computer was bought in 1978 and I've been in the IT industry until my retirement in 2000.

It is really hard for a novice.

I think that it would be most helpful if you were a bit more wordy in your explanations.

Just so the poor bugga can follow.

I understand what you are saying but does the OP?

I assume that you are trying to help......

You'll get used to it mate,soon you wonder how you got on without it.Banking,internet radio,newspapers,utube anything you dont know,its all there.We all had to start green as grass.Soon you'll have a1000 posts on TVF,and be bitter and twisted like the rest of us.

• Like 1

I'm going to go along with many of the other posters, get a fixed line installed and use WiFi and save your aircard data for when you are out and about., and won't need to be worrying about data capacity allowance (BTW you will see this often referred to my the mobile providers as 'fair use policy')

Now don't take this the wrong way, but you don't seem too tech savvy compared to many of us 'sad tech geeks' who gleefully get close to orgasm at the sight of traceroute results! So my advice would be get whoever you chose as the fixed line provider to setup the WiFi for you in the house and on your laptop.

I use both TOT & 3BB, and 3BB seemed in my instance at least, to be the more user friendly in terms of in house support

• Like 1

well i have 3bb at 15mb lol and skype is so bad cant vid and is so slow its slower than dial up i live in condo that uses a dslphone line that sucks 3bb came out but say all good cant upgrade to fiber i think 3bb sucks ass worst internet service i have ever seen

I'm going to go along with many of the other posters, get a fixed line installed and use WiFi and save your aircard data for when you are out and about., and won't need to be worrying about data capacity allowance (BTW you will see this often referred to my the mobile providers as 'fair use policy')

Now don't take this the wrong way, but you don't seem too tech savvy compared to many of us 'sad tech geeks' who gleefully get close to orgasm at the sight of traceroute results! So my advice would be get whoever you chose as the fixed line provider to setup the WiFi for you in the house and on your laptop.

I use both TOT & 3BB, and 3BB seemed in my instance at least, to be the more user friendly in terms of in house support

well i have 3bb at 15mb lol and skype is so bad cant vid and is so slow its slower than dial up i live in condo that uses a dslphone line that sucks 3bb came out but say all good cant upgrade to fiber i think 3bb sucks ass worst internet service i have ever seen

I've had a TOT air card for years, it's an expensive backup for when and if my dedicated line goes down. Find out which provider can connect a DSL line to your home, get their basic package (I've seen 600 to 700 Baht/month as a general going rate) and wean yourself from the air card. I only keep mine because I do international business and can't afford to be down.