Advice needed

zlodnick

I just got internet for the first time. I bought a laptop and a true aircard. Im not really interested in computers but we have grandchildren we have never seen and heard about skype. Its wonderful to be able to see and talk to family. much better than just a phone call.

The aircard works well, I think. Its as good, if not better than the internet shops Ive been to. Ive really been getting into youtube videos.

My question is.. I pay 399 baht a month for 1.5 GB. For 699 baht, I can get 3GB. I dont know what GB means, but I guess it must be better if you have more. What would be the advantage to having 3GB?

• Like 1

Using Skype video and Youtube eats data very fast. If you're using these heavily, your 1.5GB plan will be used up in no time, and then your speed will reduce to something so slow that neither Skype video or Youtube will work anymore.

3GB will last you around twice as long before you get speed-limited and internet video stops working.

Se how you go... if this is your interest online, you'll either want a very big data plan, or to move to an internet option with unlimited bandwidth (DSL, Fiber, Wi-Net, Air-Net)

Edited by IMHO

Using Skype video and Youtube eats data very fast. If you're using these heavily, your 1.5GB plan will be used up in no time, and then your speed will reduce to something so slow that neither Skype video or Youtube will work anymore.

3GB will last you around twice as long before you get speed-limited and internet video stops working.

Se how you go... if this is your interest online, you'll either want a very big data plan, or to move to an internet option with unlimited bandwidth (DSL, Fiber, Wi-Net, Air-Net)

skype and youtube still work at 384k
  • Like 2

Your definition of "work" is obviously a lot lower than mine (see what I did there? :P )

In any case, I'm pretty sure that most 1.5GB plans slow down a whole lot more than 384kbps once the cap has been reached.

• Like 2

Your definition of "work" is obviously a lot lower than mine (see what I did there? :P )

In any case, I'm pretty sure that most 1.5GB plans slow down a whole lot more than 384kbps once the cap has been reached.

work and doesn't work are complete opposites, I repeat it works, quality is different than doesn't work. Edited by Bomonster

work and doesn't work are complete opposites, I repeat it works, quality is different than doesn't works

Your definition of "work" is obviously a lot lower than mine (see what I did there? tongue.png )

work and doesn't work are complete opposites, I repeat it works, quality is different than works

might work but will be hit and miss sometimes, get a fixed line internet installed i have 3bb - 631 baht a month.

Your definition of "work" is obviously a lot lower than mine (see what I did there? tongue.png )

work and doesn't work are complete opposites, I repeat it works, quality is different than works

I suppose you're right. I mean, a flat tire that's still attached to the rim, still 'works' :P

I suppose you're right. I mean, a flat tire that's still attached to the rim, still 'works' :P

why when you try and help you get obtuse remarks, oh I forgot this is thailand and everyone is an expert, I have 3bb and download movies from movie2k on 50 inch TV perfect. I bet you are a global warming advocate.

I suppose you're right. I mean, a flat tire that's still attached to the rim, still 'works' tongue.png

why when you try and help you get obtuse remarks, oh I forgot this is thailand and everyone is an expert, I have 3bb and download movies from movie2k on 50 inch TV perfect. I bet you are a global warming advocate.

coffee1.gif OK I AM OFF TO CHURCH

• Like 1

I suppose you're right. I mean, a flat tire that's still attached to the rim, still 'works' tongue.png

LOL, keep going, you've almost got me worked out! 555!

In any case, the point I think you overlooked is that 1.5GB plans don't fall back to 384kbps - they fall back to 128kbps.

If you are out in the sticks you don't have many options, you can lower the quality manually inside youtube. 3 GB will give you double but also double throttled down speed for the rest of the month. Give it a go, also same with skype you can reduce vid quality, it's better than nowt.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replys. But, I dont really understand. Youtube eats up the data fast?

Im out in the stix and there is no cable available.

I do notice when watching youtube, it stops for a few seconds every now and then.

Your current data plan allows you to use up 1.5GB of data at full speed (max=42mbps) before it slows down to 128kbps (i.e. up to 336 times slower).

At 128kbps, internet video becomes a very, very low resolution series of slides, at best - in reality just too slow and frustrating to be called 'video'.

Practically nothing uses data faster than video - a HD video stream from Youtube uses around 4mbps of data on average, so on your plan, would use up 1.5GB in around 3 hours. Lower resolution videos use data slower though.

As noted in my first post, see how you go. It's possible the genre of videos that interest you are all short and/or very low quality, in which case you might get up to days of viewing before your speed gets capped. The stuttering you mention you see seems to indicate you're watching reasonably high resolution videos though.

If 3G is too restrictive/expensive ask TOT whether Wi-Net is available, and ask AIS whether AirNet is available - both of these offer high speed, all-you-can-eat internet at reasonable prices, and don't require wires, so are available to those even in the sticks. All you need is to be within 15KM of a tower that supports this.

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 1

ok maybe a new approach may help you say you live out in the sticks is this in a village ?or really off the beaten

if village go outside a see if the overhead power lines have any other smaller cables hanging around and i mean hanging /falling/sagging /draped

if that's a yes then its highly likely that these are tot or cat telephone service this would mean that internet will be available in some shape or form sorry if this sounds basic stuff but start at the beginning and move forward (hopefully ) if no to all these i am defiantly off to church

Thanks, Im starting to get it.

If the skype stops working, the 1.5 GB plan will be recharged the next month and I can use skype again, untill that runs down. I must be lucky, Ive been watching alot of HD videos and it still is working ok.

We live outside a small village (population 250) and there used to be a public phone there, The wire goes past our house so, Ill check that out.

Thanks, Im starting to get it.

If the skype stops working, the 1.5 GB plan will be recharged the next month and I can use skype again, untill that runs down. I must be lucky, Ive been watching alot of HD videos and it still is working ok.

We live outside a small village (population 250) and there used to be a public phone there, The wire goes past our house so, Ill check that out.

Yep, sounds like you're getting it smile.png

However, if you don't already have still-active phone lines into your soi, it's highly probable they'll want significant amounts of money, and/or it'll take a long wait, to install them. As I mentioned, most villages have access to TOT WiNet and/or AIS AirNet, which is wireless, cheap to setup, and installed and running in a couple of hours. You have a 3G tower nearby, so there's at least some chance you'll have one of these two available as well.

The speed and price is comparable to fixed-line internet options.

Edited by IMHO

384 kBit is the standard throttle rate.

I sometimes book a 24h flatrate package (14 Baht) at this speed on AIS 3G.

Works perfect for email and browsing (like here).

Have not tried Skype video with such a rate.

At least Skype will work without video (like a phone call).

Video migth be poor and "hanging".

Still worth using without video (switch it off), Cheaper than doing a phone call.

If one wants to save bandwidth: start with a short video introduction (everybody smiles to the camera) and then continue without video.

The posters question is not easy to answer. Depends on frequency and length of video calls.

Also as far as I know, Skype "adopts" to the up/download speed (eating more traffic to achieve high video quality and you can not limit/throttle it?).

Tech stuff from Skype:

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/fa1417/how-much-bandwidth-does-skype-need

So 384 kBit should still give some basic video quality (kind of thumbnail).

Edited by KhunBENQ

That's what bomonster thought too, before he looked it up and started on personal attacks as a smoke screen for the flaw in his argument :)

Refer to the fine print:

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/3g/packages/inet/entry/583

iNet299 and iNet399 are capped at 128kbps, iNet699 and iNet899 are capped at 384kbps.

Happy Christmas :D

So it seems this answers the thread starters question:

My question is.. I pay 399 baht a month for 1.5 GB. For 699 baht, I can get 3GB. I dont know what GB means, but I guess it must be better if you have more. What would be the advantage to having 3GB?

At least spend the extra 300 Baht and use the 3 GB package.

128 kBit/s is really a joke.

Don't whether AIS has the same policy.

-> similar wink.png

Edited by KhunBENQ

I looked at my true homepage and it said "your 3G at maximum speed, has already reached its maximum capacity".

I noticed that it always has said that, but I didnt know what it meant or really pay attention because everything seems to work ok.

Does that mean that what I have now is as bad as it will get? I can live with this, I think its pretty good.

I looked at my true homepage and it said "your 3G at maximum speed, has already reached its maximum capacity".

I noticed that it always has said that, but I didnt know what it meant or really pay attention because everything seems to work ok.

Does that mean that what I have now is as bad as it will get? I can live with this, I think its pretty good.

That sounds like something that's been poorly translated.

According to the plans page I linked to earlier, they are giving a special bonus of +1GB for the first 6 months, so you actually have a total of 2.5GB. Could mean that your 1.5GB is used up, and now you're using up the bonus 1GB.. Or it could just be a bad translation ;)

I

That's what bomonster thought too, before he looked it up and started on personal attacks as a smoke screen for the flaw in his argument :)

Refer to the fine print:

iNet299 and iNet399 are capped at 128kbps, iNet699 and iNet899 are capped at 384kbps.

Happy Christmas :D

what smoke screen I too live where there is no wifi, thats why 3bb, I also have true on a seperate tablet their package is 1.5 gig full speed, but no 42mbs I get around 10 after the 1.5 gig gone throttles down to 128kbit for the rest of month, with 3gig was 2 mine is still 2 then they throttle to 384kbps I have been using it out and about for a year. The picture is not bad if you cannot get wifi or cable. The flaw in your argument is my car is designed to be able to run on flats if necessary, totally absurd analogy. Edited by Bomonster

hi zlodnick

reading your post, I conclude that you are a novice on computer and internet, (forgive me if I am wrong) ,and many answers might be unclear to you.

allow me to explain as easy as possible some elementary things on internet use.

you now use a True aircard of 1,5 GB

- this is a wireless system (like the radio waves that made us listen to radio stations) that works with the same system as your phone is using. from the phone or computer(aircard) through the air to a closeby radio/telephone mast. there is another system with wires, but that later

- you have 1,5 GB on the card. this is an amount of computer information of 1.5 giga byte. A 3GB card has double the amount of information.

- how long will this last for you?

now compare this with driving to Bangkok. the distance is lets say 300 km, you can drive with high speed in shorter time , 100 km/hr for 3 hours, or with low speed for longer time, 50 km/hr for 6 hours. still with me?

what other posters try to explain is, that if you use Youtube video with good quality pictures (high density) you consume your 1,5 GB in short time, while if you look in low quality you can enjoy your 1.5 GB for a longer period.

And here comes the advice for 3GB card, as this has double the amount of information you can receive or send, or double the time to enjoy.

Also in Skype, if you use skype with video, you have to transport a lot more information (picture + voice) than when you use Skype with only the voice (like a standard phone call) and no images. In the latter case you can communicate with your grandchildren a lot longer for your 1.5 GB card, admitted you can not see them, nor can they see you.

- now you have a system that has a monthly limit on information exchange, your 1.5 GB. this is nice till you have consumed that amount within the month. you use less per month than 1.5 no problem , but if you use more than 1.5 GB , you may want to look to other ways of getting what you want.

-- you can of course buy the 3GB card, assuming that that will be enough, but

-- as already stated , there are some companies that offer a limit-less (assuming normal usage) amount for a fixed amount. Wi-Net, Air-Net, don't know these myself but you can inquire with the said companies, compare, see what you need and decide for the best.

NOW,, apart from wireless internet, there is also the internet via a piece of copper, a telephone line or a cable used for cable TV.

Many of the wired possibilities offer a limit-less contract for little money e.g. 500 Bt/month. The advantage is clear, no limit in information exchange and a higher internet speed, so good for your Skype with video images and for High Definition Youtube

This is all nice, but depend on whether there is a copper line to your house, or neighbourhood. If you have a fixed telephone line to your house, problem solved. Go to you tel. company , order internet, and you are fine, (they will bring a small box, modem ADSL , to install in your house and bingo!)

If there is this thin wire in the post along your house, it can be telephone, TOT, TT&T or who. Now you can try to get connected and same as above bingo.

If there is no line along your house, you may inquired with the phone companies, but it could be costly (or not?; in my case TOT run a 125 meter long cable to my house for free) to bring the cable to your house. So find out who runs the cable on your house and discuss the options with that company

If there is no cables and too expensive to install, the other mentioned wireless limit-less systems might be a better option to try.

hope You understand, if you have any questions , please ask and an answer will come.

Edited by ardsong
  • Like 2

I

That's what bomonster thought too, before he looked it up and started on personal attacks as a smoke screen for the flaw in his argument smile.png

Refer to the fine print:

Happy Christmas biggrin.png

what smoke screen I too live where there is no wifi, thats why 3bb, I also have true on a seperate tablet their package is 1.5 gig full speed, but no 42mbs I get around 10 after the 1.5 gig gone throttles down to 128kbit for the rest of month, with 3gig was 2 mine is still 2 then they throttle to 384kbps I have been using it out and about for a year. The picture is not bad if you cannot get wifi or cable. The flaw in your argument is my car is designed to be able to run on flats if necessary, totally absurd analogy.

OK, so now you're saying you can get YouTube video streaming at 128kbps huh?

LOL. Stop it, my sides hurt! :)

Happy Christmas, and thanks for the laughs!

Edited by IMHO

Thanks IMHO, I believe I got it now.

And thank you Ardsong, I needed that.

Im sure some of you cant believe in this day and age there are still some of us who dont have a clue about this stuff. Even when guys are trying to be helpful, they dont realize to us it is like hearing a foreign language. I just learned what "upload and download" means. Didnt know what a browser was till I got this laptop.

A friend came from Las Vegas to visit and asked if there was a place he could use a computer. I asked why and he said he wanted to check his email. I said how the hell can you do that, your computer is in Las Vegas. I thought an email was like a letter and only sent to one place.

I have mixed emotions about having internet. Its a wonderful and amazing tool, but the negative aspect, I dont like.

Anyway, it sure was great seeing the grandchildren for the first time.

Thanks again for all the help.

• Like 1