Illegal Workers

I read somewhere on the internet today the Prime Minister is going to eliminate illegal workers in Thailand by next year. (I think he got this promise from the same box he got the poverty elimination promise)

Does this mean there will be an even greater shortage of English teachers in Thailand? :o

I read somewhere on the internet today the Prime Minister is going to eliminate illegal workers in Thailand by next year. (I think he got this promise from the same box he got the poverty elimination promise)

Does this mean there will be an even greater shortage of English teachers in Thailand? :o

Probably not, since that was the box labelled "Silly promises during election, even less likely than our usual blatant lies and false promises."

When it was discussed here this week, the consensus seemed to be that if it meant anything at all, it was probably just directed at the illegal Burmese, hill tribes, etc. Still, I thought it could apply to English teachers as well. The govt. is nearly running out of targets to aim at, so we're likely to be aimed at, eventually. Fortunately, Thai politicians have a shorter attention span than.....my government's politicians.

I see no decrease, however, in Thai xenophobia, and I think it's getting worse.

This is not the Hotel California: "..such a lovely place; such a lovely face; plenty of room at the Hotel California, any time of year, you can find it here...she's got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends.." Because unlike that hotel, you can check out, and you can leave. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Let me ask you all this: Can you remember the name of the American pedophile who was teaching piano in Bangkok awhile back and what became of that 'news story'? I didn't think so. Do you think the average Thai can remember that story? :o This will all be forgotten withing a month and ECC, Siam Computer and all the others will just keep on like they have been for ages. Next please.

^ Yes I actually knew him mate.

Eric Rosser, although he travelled on a fake British passport under the name of Peter Smith.

He actually was nicked originally when he played at the Orient (fiddling RICH people's kids) but he did a runner while he was on probation. He than had plastic surgery and returned where he was recognised (unfortunately not by me or I'd be $50K USD better off) and arrested (by the Thai police although the FBI were filming it/observing).

Nice bloke to be honest.....would never have guessed (well educated, well spoken, smartly dressed etc.) and it actually seems a lot of pedos are actually quite academic etc. Not your average EFL/ESL teacher (no disrespect to them though).

Eric Rosser, although he travelled on a fake British passport under the name of Peter Smith.

He actually was nicked originally when he played at the Orient (fiddling RICH people's kids) but he did a runner while he was on probation. He than had plastic surgery and returned where he was recognised (unfortunately not by me or I'd be $50K USD better off) and arrested (by the Thai police although the FBI were filming it/observing).

Nice bloke to be honest.....would never have guessed (well educated, well spoken, smartly dressed etc.) and it actually seems a lot of pedos are actually quite academic etc. Not your average EFL/ESL teacher (no disrespect to them though).

except for the messing with kids bit.................

I read somewhere on the internet today the Prime Minister is going to eliminate illegal workers in Thailand by next year. ....

Just like Bob Hawke in Australia saying "There will be no child living in poverty by 1990."

He later dismissed it as a "Mission Statement" or similar spin.

...He than had plastic surgery and returned where he was recognised...

That reminds me of I think it was "Nip Tuck" where the gangster forced the plastic surgeons to change his face, they did a great job making him look like the #1 or #2 most wanted man. :o Maybe thats what the plastic surgeon did.

except for the messing with kids bit.................

Yeah mental issues.

I should maybe have said...nice bloke but wouldn't let him babysit.

The plastic surgery just changed his face a bit, apparently there's a limit to what they can do with your basic bone structure etc.

Illegal English teachers will be tolerated in Thailand for the same reason that illegal grape pickers are tolerated in the states: they want 'em and there ain't no other way to get 'em that cheap.

just had immigration police in our school today, videoing foreign teachers and checking passports. They are coming back next month to interview all foreign staff and check passports and work permits. Are illegal English teachers really going to be tolerated for much longer?

That's a good question, migs. They, the Thai officials, could get illegal teachers for bad visas, no work permits, no teachers' licenses, etc. It might be a flash in the pan, but for now, that really stings.

Thanks for the update. Bangkok? Was this raid at a govt. school, private school, or language center?

Illegal English teachers will be tolerated in Thailand for the same reason that illegal grape pickers are tolerated in the states: they want 'em and there ain't no other way to get 'em that cheap.

just had immigration police in our school today, videoing foreign teachers and checking passports. They are coming back next month to interview all foreign staff and check passports and work permits. Are illegal English teachers really going to be tolerated for much longer?

Are incompetent, don't know what they're doing Thai officials going to be tolerated for much longer?....If the answer is yes to this, it's probably yes to the above :o

• 2 weeks later...

Are incompetent, don't know what they're doing Thai officials going to be tolerated for much longer?....If the answer is yes to this, it's probably yes to the above :o

Thai officials won't have a problem with illegal teachers for much longer. I posted this in the Visa section, but it seems applicable to this thread aswell. Thai consulates have already received instructions to stop multiple entry tourist visas.

I emailed Parvez Book Store (visa agent) in Penang and this is what they had to say;

"Hi there,

About the news that You heard, its true. Now in Penang Royal Thai

Consulate they have stop issuing the "2" Double and "3" Triple entry Tourist

Visa, and they have announced the news in the local news paper here

yesterday, that was on the 12/09/2006. and they now only issued "1" single

entry Tourist Visa only. And the new rules and regulation is effected

begin from 12/09/2006".

Please tell all your friend about this information.

Regards

Mohamed

mailed