Christmas gifts from Thai GF

ttthailand

Thais dont celebrate christmas as they ate buddhists. Thusthere is no need at all to buy any christmas gift for your gf.

Mine will get what she always fies and always are hqppy with - a hard one and a big bag of dirty laundry......

This year I am thinking about 1 baht gold for her gift ... Together 8 months and everything so far is good so she has earned her way.

Since we are going to visit her family for Christmas I spent another 5,000 baht of gifts for everyone, baskets, cookies, remote car, little girl hand bags and a small tree with lights. I guess I am Santa ... Ho ho ho

smile.png

Interesting.

Why would anyone buy Buddhists Christmas gifts?

Not their culture!

You are exactly right. I don't buy my wife anything and she doesn't buy me anything. She tried it once on me but I told her that Christmas is not a Thai/Buddhist Holiday, so no more. Anyway, to me Christmas is just an ordinary day except when I was working I had some time off and it is also a big profit makers for the stores as they take full advantage of it. Just a proof, at home after the holiday season you get sometimes 50% off or more.

• Like 1

This year I am thinking about 1 baht gold for her gift ... Together 8 months and everything so far is good so she has earned her way.

Since we are going to visit her family for Christmas I spent another 5,000 baht of gifts for everyone, baskets, cookies, remote car, little girl hand bags and a small tree with lights. I guess I am Santa ... Ho ho ho

smile.png

Interesting.

Not their culture!

Because just as I celebrate Songkran and Loy Khratong with her, I want her to share in my cultural celebrations. It's called being in a relationship.

Good for you buying gifts for the family and wanting to share cultural celebrations. Might as well get used to looking after the extended family now, because as long as your in a relationship with your GF the whole family will be there every step of the way!

• Like 2

It is a seasonal thing. Several folks have noted that Thai people exchange New Years gifts; I reckon it is the same idea. It is the season of renewal since ancient times, the period when the sun begins its journey back.
There is nothing wrong with giving someone a gift at any time, and too bad to make an accountancy of it.
I expect I shall get my particular friend a small gift because it is my cultural tradition, and I do not expect anything in return from her except a smile and appreciation.

Thais have nothing in mind about Christmas, but about presents. So do not expect anything.

Fatfather

you are correct, Christmas is not a Thai thing. It makes me laugh however that it is a one way street most of the time, they want to receive but not want to give...

My new GF however got me a surprise birthday gift so maybe this year Santa (gf) will deliver a Christmas gift also... It really don't matter what it costs it is that she cared enough to give something that's important.

While I agree, the Christian side of Christmas is not widely celebrated here--well don't go near the many Christian churches in Thailand this time of year and say that--the commercial side of Christmas certainly is.

You can't near a shopping street, center, or mall without being inundated with Santa pictures, caps, and cards, with Jingle Bells, Christmas ornaments, and wrapping paper. You frequenters of bars and restaurants, do you see all the Christmas decorations and scheduled Christmas parties. Additionally, the more emotional side of Christmas may also be celebrated; you farang English teachers, any Christmas mentioned in your schools? Last Christmas, I received a very nice gift from a Thai friend, and we are not even in a relationship.

Therefore, I suggest, the Thai spouse or lover of a farang, would rarely be unaware of Christmas.

smile.png

Interesting.

Not their culture!

Because just as I celebrate Songkran and Loy Khratong with her, I want her to share in my cultural celebrations. It's called being in a relationship.......who is zooming who? call it by its true name, "insurance" . if not you...somebody will :-)

Because just as I celebrate Songkran and Loy Khratong with her, I want her to share in my cultural celebrations. It's called being in a relationship.

Most foreigner/Thai relationships seem to be more of an employer/employee thing as far as I can see.

Maybe someone will give you a telescope for Christmas so you can see beyond the tip of your bigoted nose. But on second thoughts, I doubt if anyone will give you anything, except the Bah Humbug that you so rightly deserve.

• Like 2

smile.png

Interesting.

Not their culture!

Culture ! I'm not sure how this will turn out but here goes. I'm an Agnostic, so not being Christian I guess I shouldn't be thinking of Christmas & presents. But being a falang, it's kinda what gets done at this time of year.... I guess.

I've been living with my g/f in a great little village near Sakon Nakhon for about 6 months now. Don't speak much Thai & the locals don't speak much, if any English, but we manage to communicate with lots of smiles & nods & sign language. I get invited to everything that's happening. Get food brought for me to try. G/f get asks where I am if I'm not out working in the garden by 9:00 in the morning. All in all I've been thoroughly accepted & befriended.

So, last week I lashed out & bought a load of colored lights & put in a BIG tree in the Soi. Mainly for the kids, but surprised each night how many moms & dads come & look & say bu-t-ful, & give the thumbs up.

Yesterday I went into SN & bought a heap of chocolates, lollies, biscuits, small toys & the like. Tomorrow the g/f & I will wrap ready to distribute to the local kids & a few neighbors on Christmas morning.

I realize this is somewhat off the topic of gifts from Thai GF, but I think on topic re why "buy Buddhists Christmas gifts".

So, I really don't think culture has much to do with it. It's more about an expression of gratitude for being accepted. The locals might be Buddhist but they do know & understand about Christmas & present giving. I expect nothing in return, they have given me their friendship & acceptance.

So, that's why I "buy Buddhists Christmas gifts"

Just sayin..... Cheers..... Mal.

Problem is that if you do give presents then they will expect it every year. So easy with presents etc.