Christmas gifts from Thai GF

ttthailand

Because just as I celebrate Songkran and Loy Khratong with her, I want her to share in my cultural celebrations. It's called being in a relationship.

Most foreigner/Thai relationships seem to be more of an employer/employee thing as far as I can see.

speak for yourself mate

If I were speaking for myself it would be a Thai/Thai relationship.

(Not that they're much different)

Because just as I celebrate Songkran and Loy Khratong with her, I want her to share in my cultural celebrations. It's called being in a relationship.

Most foreigner/Thai relationships seem to be more of an employer/employee thing as far as I can see.

speak for yourself mate

If I were speaking for myself it would be a Thai/Thai relationship.

(Not that they're much different)

I think you mean U.K./Thai

My partner and I don't buy each other Xmas gifts as we each just buy what we want throughout the year.

But I received an awesome Xmas gift I never expected and absolutely love from my daughter (step) in spite of always telling her she is not to spend her hard earnt minimum wage money on us. She is over halfway through her degree (A grade student to boot) and works hard as she has from 15 years old waitressing to buy the fashion things we never intended to ever buy for her and lately to help pay her way through her degree. To us the gift she brought me would have cost a pittance, to her a weeks living costs covered. Simply she wanted to give a fun Xmas gift to the Dad who has always been there and always fronted for her for the last seven years that we have shared each other's lives. The gift is a top line remote control helicopter with photo and video taking capability. The real fun was spending Xmas day afternoon hanging out with her learning to fly it. She is certainly one thai lass who understands the spirit of Xmas is giving fun and love. As I am sure lots of others guys who have been blessed with thai families experience constantly.

Edited by Roadman

Mine whined about wanting a gift, bought her a watch and lots of toys for her kid. She works makes good money, I got nothin! Why are Thai women so selfish? Me me me.

You could, along with others change the people you hang out with, I have a fairly different out look on the Thais, both men and women.

my wife actually bought me the latest Seiko divers watch I was going to buy for myself, totally unexpected but she wanted to make it like christmas in Australia for me seeing I dont have any other family here, love her, you bet your sweet bippie I dobiggrin.png

• Like 1

This year I am thinking about 1 baht gold for her gift ... Together 8 months and everything so far is good so she has earned her way.

Since we are going to visit her family for Christmas I spent another 5,000 baht of gifts for everyone, baskets, cookies, remote car, little girl hand bags and a small tree with lights. I guess I am Santa ... Ho ho ho

smile.png

Interesting.

Why would anyone buy Buddhists Christmas gifts?

Not their culture!

Not all are Buddhists. Mine is Christian. Always has been.

youre not born anything, always will be

In Isaan where I live in the countryside, they not even celebrate Birthdays. They usually forget the dates, only when you a smaller child you have a chance of a cake.

So Christmas? NO nothing to get, nothing will get and the day passes by unnoticed. I like that. thumbsup.gif

Not sure what part of Isaan you live, but here's something you might care to ponder.

I live in a small village about 25k from Sakon Nakhon. At Robinson's in SN most of the shops have some form of Christmas decoration, staff wearing Santa cap or Christmas music playing. Many Christmas decorations on sale. No BIG deal I thought, probably head office in Bangkok sends the Christmas stock to the franchised store & issues instructions to play the Christmas game.

Today I went to the local "town" Don Mafai, about 5k from our village. Small town, no bank, no car dealerships, nothing over 2 story, not much of anything really. Main attraction is a small 7-11. I'm wandering about this morning, killing time waiting for the missus & guess what I find ? Mom & pop shops with loads of Christmas decorations, strings of colored lights, Santa caps, Christmas wrapping paper, numerous amounts of Christmas cards & the like. I have only so far found a couple of the locals that that can speak a few words of English. I would guess there MIGHT be a dozen farlangs living between here & Sakon Nakhon. So, if all the farlangs bought their Christmas "stuff" from Don Mafai, that might account for about 1% of what I saw in one shop. Oh, guess what else I saw, several Thais purchasing a variety of falang Christmas stuff. Not Hiso, but your very typical rural farmer, by way of appearance & dress.

It amazes me how all the Armchair experts & Neville nobodys are so sure Thais know nothing about Christmas, decorations, presents & Christmas cards.

Just for what it's worth.... Have a merry Christmas.

Cheers..... Mal.

go ask em who the fictitious jesus was? where he allegedly lived, was born etc

• Like 1

In Isaan where I live in the countryside, they not even celebrate Birthdays. They usually forget the dates, only when you a smaller child you have a chance of a cake.

So Christmas? NO nothing to get, nothing will get and the day passes by unnoticed. I like that. thumbsup.gif

Not sure what part of Isaan you live, but here's something you might care to ponder.

I live in a small village about 25k from Sakon Nakhon. At Robinson's in SN most of the shops have some form of Christmas decoration, staff wearing Santa cap or Christmas music playing. Many Christmas decorations on sale. No BIG deal I thought, probably head office in Bangkok sends the Christmas stock to the franchised store & issues instructions to play the Christmas game.

Today I went to the local "town" Don Mafai, about 5k from our village. Small town, no bank, no car dealerships, nothing over 2 story, not much of anything really. Main attraction is a small 7-11. I'm wandering about this morning, killing time waiting for the missus & guess what I find ? Mom & pop shops with loads of Christmas decorations, strings of colored lights, Santa caps, Christmas wrapping paper, numerous amounts of Christmas cards & the like. I have only so far found a couple of the locals that that can speak a few words of English. I would guess there MIGHT be a dozen farlangs living between here & Sakon Nakhon. So, if all the farlangs bought their Christmas "stuff" from Don Mafai, that might account for about 1% of what I saw in one shop. Oh, guess what else I saw, several Thais purchasing a variety of falang Christmas stuff. Not Hiso, but your very typical rural farmer, by way of appearance & dress.

It amazes me how all the Armchair experts & Neville nobodys are so sure Thais know nothing about Christmas, decorations, presents & Christmas cards.

Cheers..... Mal.

You really don't get it, do you. This is 2015. One doesn't have to be a believer to celebrate something.Thai's love a festival, for whatever reason. I don't believe in the fictitious Jesus either, but I do in some small way celebrate Christmas. Not the religious Christmas, but the holiday, fun time Christmas season. So in reality I guess I celebrate the season, not the event.

My post above was in relation to a comment by ALFREDO, about Christmas & birthdays & such not being celebrated in his part of LOS. I was just letting him & others interested in knowing, what's happening in my little part of LOS. I realize the Thai interest in Christmas is purely commercial, profit, good for them.

I'm not a Buddhist & don't know or care where he allegedly lived & was born...... but I do celebrate Buddhist festivals & holidays.

So, regarding your post "go ask em who the fictitious jesus was? where he allegedly lived, was born etc" what's your point ???

• Like 2

Cheers..... Mal.

You really don't get it, do you. This is 2015. One doesn't have to be a believer to celebrate something.Thai's love a festival, for whatever reason. I don't believe in the fictitious Jesus either, but I do in some small way celebrate Christmas. Not the religious Christmas, but the holiday, fun time Christmas season. So in reality I guess I celebrate the season, not the event.

My post above was in relation to a comment by ALFREDO, about Christmas & birthdays & such not being celebrated in his part of LOS. I was just letting him & others interested in knowing, what's happening in my little part of LOS. I realize the Thai interest in Christmas is purely commercial, profit, good for them.

I'm not a Buddhist & don't know or care where he allegedly lived & was born...... but I do celebrate Buddhist festivals & holidays.

So, regarding your post "go ask em who the fictitious jesus was? where he allegedly lived, was born etc" what's your point ???

you know my point otherwise why waste miles of chatter.

Ill edit to help you "It amazes me how all the Armchair experts & Neville nobodys are so sure Thais know nothing about Christmas"

Edited by kannot

I don't believe in the fictitious Jesus either, but I do in some small way celebrate Christmas. Not the religious Christmas, but the holiday, fun time Christmas season. So in reality I guess I celebrate the season, not the event.

"I do celebrate Buddhist festivals & holidays." and 'some small way celebrate Christmas" and .......?

Getting busy, with celebrating. wink.png

I am alone, no working family connections in EU any more, I get only melancholic, celebrating the Christian festivities in TH and I am no Buddhist, so I let all festivities and celebrations pass by, when possible.rolleyes.gif

I bought my girlfriend nothing for Christmas, she also bought me nothing.

I think we pretty much have everything we need anyway. I can't think of one item that I'd like or need. If I want something I just order it from some online service.

This seems about right considering she's a buddist and I'm not much of a traditionalist and I certainly have no requirement for any form of religion and everything that comes with it.

I have a few nephews and nieces (child age) in the UK who I send some money to - I tell them to waste it on whatever they want. It's just a little treat from me.

• 2 weeks later...