Planning a Trip to CM from Korat. Any Suggestions on a Route Changes?

Shurup

Even tighter than 2331???

https://www.google.com/maps/place/16°53%5Dhttps:/@16.8800699,101.1141878,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

I thought it was tight enough already, and 84 km long? That would probably be enough for a day ride, all 84 km of it. biggrin.png

I fixed your broken url.

And yes, the 2331 is child's play. Really though, the tightest sections of the [1090] can be done within 2 hours...even by me and I'm not a good rider. It's loads of fun!

Look at my link.

OK, Umphang is a province South of Tak. So 2-3 days ride?

If nothing else comes up I may plan a ride to Oa Nang / Krabi, stay there for a bit and then back.

Exactly. It can be done in a day from Nakhon Sawan, but that's pushing it. I've done it over 2 days (once on my CBR 150 and once on the Ninja 250...the second time with billd when we did the now affectionately-right guys?-named goat mountain [1175] through Mae Tuen) and it's more enjoyable.

There is also Thilo Su waterfall there (15.927301, 98.753794) that is pretty nice; however it is going to be dry season so not running at full capacity. But we can still go check it out.

As far as the route goes, imagine the [2331], but even tighter, and 84 km long.

https://maps.google.co.th/maps?saddr=16.47099,+98.8415&daddr=Route+1090&hl=en&ll=16.354074,98.96862&spn=0.289241,0.528374&sll=16.474773,98.843651&sspn=0.018066,0.033023&geocode=Fc5T-wAdnDPkBQ%3BFYad9wAdGpPlBQ&mra=ls&t=m&z=12

I did the TLS waterfall a couple of years ago on a Kawasaki sanctioned and organised ride. My understanding is that the trail to TLS (which is unpaved by the way) is off limits to normal vehicles? We got there first by water (rapids) and then 4WD.

Even tighter than 2331???

https://www.google.com/maps/place/16°53%5Dhttps:/@16.8800699,101.1141878,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

I thought it was tight enough already, and 84 km long? That would probably be enough for a day ride, all 84 km of it. biggrin.png

I fixed your broken url.

And yes, the 2331 is child's play. Really though, the tightest sections of the [1090] can be done within 2 hours...even by me and I'm not a good rider. It's loads of fun!

Look at my link.

You were exaggerating a little, it's twisty but not for it's whole length and only some places are as twisty as 2331 so it looks good. How's the road surface?

I did the TLS waterfall a couple of years ago on a Kawasaki sanctioned and organised ride. My understanding is that the trail to TLS (which is unpaved by the way) is off limits to normal vehicles? We got there first by water (rapids) and then 4WD.

This will be my first trip to TLS...I've always stopped at Umphang and went no further.

You were exaggerating a little, it's twisty but not for it's whole length and only some places are as twisty as 2331 so it looks good. How's the road surface?

Ridden both...and the [2331] doesn't compare. Zoom in to the same level and get a better feel.

The elevation changes and sheer number of curves embarrasses those 9 switchbacks (where the road completes a 180 degree turn inside of 50 meters) that the [2331] has.

The road surfaces varies; it's quite my style where you have to stay on your toes.

^

It has a range of adjustability, but that doesn't mean it will suit the rider's needs- the stock spring is adjustable as well, but that didn't help, did it? Compressing it too much limits the travel, which makes for a harder ride, and not giving it enough compression (in the case of a too-heavy spring) could lead to a pogo-stick effect.

The maximum rating is one thing- it's the minimum that you need to be concerned with with a 105 N/mm-150kg spring- if it's in the acceptable range (which it may well be) great, but a bit of research is required before installation.

Since already so much has been said in this topic regarding the suspension setup, I feel like I should continue it here and not in another tread.

I've been reading lots recently and it looks like most who decided to just swap the spring instead of swapping a whole rear shock with Ohlins, went with a 90 N/mm spring.

I found this in the manual:

post-111234-0-21608200-1423472129_thumb.

If I got it right, the custom 90 and 105 N/mm springs' indicated load is with ZERO preload??

Meaning with higher preload settings, there's more weight carrying capacity?

If this is correct then this is what I was looking for. I higher rated spring (90 N/mm) will do the trick for me with preload set to zero or whereabouts for the solo and with higher preload setting for 2 up and luggage. 105 spring with ZERO preload if definitely too high for my single weight then.

Could anyone confirm this please?

I'm not sure- I agree it's confusing. It might actually be some instructions for the mechanic doing the swap as it specifically mentions 'recommended assembly' rather than recommended settings. I would be surprised if they expect anyone to run with zero pre-load.

It also might be to let the user know that he'll still have full adjustability after making the change.

No one on the Ducati board knows the deal?

Edited by RubberSideDown

I posted the same thing over there and no replies yet, however Ducati Forum doesn't seem to be as active as this one.

The screenshot in my previous post is from the owners manual I found online and it's an old revision which appears to have a lot of poor translation from Italian, lots of complain about this topic. Maybe something got lost in the translation of that paragraph.

My manual is at home and it's better written, newer revision I guess. Will ask wife to check it for me and take a pic of the page I need.