The veritable plethora of Risk Factors for Farang in Thailand Brigade

redandyellow

And as an aside.. why are monthly tolls of Tourist deaths no longer being published by Phuket Authorities, since April 2012? ( reported in Phuketwan.com many times)

I'm interested to hear what other members view as risk factors for Farang in Thailand, I'll start off with a few obvious ones, and hopefully a few obscure ones will issue forth..

1. Farang take on more inherent risks in Thailand than at home - for a million different reasons..

2. A disproportionate amount of at-risk Farang (like 50%) love to attempt relationships with sex-trade workers, while (prudently, lol) ignoring the other 97.3% of Thai women

3. The fatalistic attitude of Thai culture facilitates a dangerous environment for the unwitting Farang - ignorant of the 180 degree dichotomy in much of Thai and western culture

4. Legions of Farang don't often use their big head in the Kingdom, and consequently refuse to wear protective headgear when on a motorbike - it can't be just vanity can it?

Was Phuketwan.com reporting deaths for tourists from just the western (i.e. farang) countries or ALL tourists? I suspect Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Middle Eastern, African, etc visitors die in Thailand too.

Can the OP site the source for the statistic that 2.7% of Thai women are actively employed as sex-workers?

^^^ Capital argument, chaps, absolutely capital. What ho!

It's not just Thailand where foreigners (lower case "f") ignore the risk factors.

It seems we like to take out the safety pin when we go to Asia. But those risk takers are not helped by the fact that authoritarian constraints are largely absent here ... and some people really should not be allowed off their leashes. :) Me included.

• Like 1

As one of Bangkok's voluntary body collectors said in a doco I watched yesterday, I really dont fear dying but I do fear getting hurt. That's a risk that many here in Pattaya - Thai and foreigner alike - have to confront daily, and it gives me no joy to see the way some motorbike riders behave even in broad daylight. That's the single biggest risk to my health and wellbeing IMO, regardless of the scaremongering on Thaivisa.

• Like 2

Was Phuketwan.com reporting deaths for tourists from just the western (i.e. farang) countries or ALL tourists? I suspect Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Middle Eastern, African, etc visitors die in Thailand too.

Can the OP site the source for the statistic that 2.7% of Thai women are actively employed as sex-workers?

Maybe he's only stating a personal statistic?

Looks like another came along before he finished his post ….

• Like 1

Lack of following of road rules is the biggest one in my view. There's a greater risk here of getting hit by an idiot driver breaking the rules.

There's probably a lot more vipers and cobras here than any Western country, so that has to be a risk factor not found at home, albeit not many suffer a fatal bite, I guess.

Malaria and dengue fever.

Would depression be a higher risk factor here...the loneliness of the big foreign city or the isolation of a rural village?

I guess nowhere in the West would you be at risk of being slapped by a monk on a train. New York, perhaps, but where else?

• Like 1

night time!

thailand is a relatively safe place except at night especially in isolated areas, i have more than once been close to very dangerous situations with both humans and dogs

besides that getting broken into and burglarized is a major concern

interesting thread thanks

you forgot

number 5) why do so many farang think, that landing in Thailand suddenly gives them skills and knowledge over handling a big bike that has enough HP to catapult them straight into heaven . . . . ?

They may not have been mentioned in the dead farang statistics because they died of a natural cause (motosai accident)

• Like 1

OP, you keep your head down, mind your own business and obey the law of the country you are living in and I guarantee you will never come across any risks or mishappenings.

With all due respect, what about all the Australians who die of UNKNOWN causes in the country - they felt pretty safe just prior..

post-169825-0-04339300-1419288184_thumb.

post-169825-0-88455900-1419288376_thumb.

More farang die from height in Thailand than (most) anywhere on the planet - that's the allegation - it seems that low balcony railings are only part of the malaise..

Driving like the locals is another big one, as someone mentioned..but you rarely if ever see 5 farang on a 120 CC motorbike..

post-169825-0-70048200-1419288646_thumb.

post-169825-0-49208200-1419288668_thumb.

For some expats in rural area's boredom,sometimes leading to excessive alcohol intake,a trap i fell into myself,not until i had my blood pressure taken before renewing my Thai driving licence it was 160 over 109, that i did something about it,so now i am bored but sober,better really,at least i keep telling myself that.

• Like 1

OP, you keep your head down, mind your own business and obey the law of the country you are living in and I guarantee you will never come across any risks or mishappenings.

Cobras and vipers don't care if you keep your head down and obey the rules.

Neither do malaria mosquitoes.

Biggest risk factors?

Thinking you're smarter than Thais.

Thinking because there's poor traffic enforcement, it's ok to drink and drive.

Thinking your girlfriend/wife is going to be eternally grateful to you because you have more money than her, and that this entitles you to special treatment.

Thinking that being friendly and affable is in everyone else's job description except yours.

Thinking Thais are smarter than you

Thinking there will be any traffic enforcement especially with motorbikes

Thinking she wont be grateful

Thinking the friendly smiling faces wont next minute stab you in the back

Biggest risk factors?

Thinking you're smarter than Thais.

Thinking because there's poor traffic enforcement, it's ok to drink and drive.

Thinking your girlfriend/wife is going to be eternally grateful to you because you have more money than her, and that this entitles you to special treatment.

Thinking that being friendly and affable is in everyone else's job description except yours.

Thinking Thais are smarter than you

Thinking there will be any traffic enforcement especially with motorbikes

Thinking she wont be grateful

Thinking the friendly smiling faces wont next minute stab you in the back

A solid response....i started to doubt myself before. Thanks !