What is the + and - for on this Triton auto?

giddyup

No, it's for semi auto shifting, up each time for one gear and down each time to down shift.. it's Tip-Tronic style, put it in that position and you have to up shift and down shift manually, it will over-ride you though if you fail to shift and shift up or down as an auto, but only after some time it realizes your not shifting it.

Fink that is what I said..........thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

No, it's for semi auto shifting, up each time for one gear and down each time to down shift 4 or 5 speed? You'll have to try it to find out how many gears? Likely 5.. It's Tip-Tronic style, put it in that position and you have to up shift and down shift manually, it will over-ride you though if you fail to shift and shift up or down as an auto, but only after some time it realizes your not shifting it. Synchro shift + = continually upshifting to top gear and then - = down shifting to lower gears.

Only 3 gears in that position, since it is meant for mountain driving.

• Like 1

An article about the Triton showing this gear shift in a picture and reading like this:

Above 2000rpm, no matter what gear the five-speed auto transmission is in, the GLX-R is happy to churn along and gather speed with reasonable haste.

http://performancedrive.com.au/2013-mitsubishi-triton-glx-r-review-1111/

So I guess: you put it to "D" and it is simply automatic.

Move to the left and you can manually intervene/influence with the gear selection?

Just a guess tongue.png

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

From another Australian website:

5 Speed Sport Mode Automatic & Paddle Shifts

Sports Mode allows you to enjoy the ease and comfort of an automatic, with the option of then switching to the versatility and control of a 5 speed manual without the use of a clutch pedal. The clutch free operation reduces the rev and torque loss usually associated with engaging gears, meaning you can maintain momentum in off-road situations. Combined with paddle shifts behind Challenger's steering wheel, you can make quick gear changes without your hands leaving the wheel.

http://goldfieldsmitsubishi.com.au/mitsubishiau/nv_overview.asp?id=8

See: Power and Performance, second slide from left.

Sounds like the "+"/"-" is available at the steering wheel also.

(not necessarily, as the article describes an SUV version)

Edited by KhunBENQ

Question for the OP: How did you go about ordering an English version of the manual? Can the dealer order it for you?

I've just bought a new Mitsubishi with lots of bells and whistles, but can't figure out how to use a lot of the features, since the manual is written entirely in Thai.

Question for the OP: How did you go about ordering an English version of the manual? Can the dealer order it for you?

I've just bought a new Mitsubishi with lots of bells and whistles, but can't figure out how to use a lot of the features, since the manual is written entirely in Thai.

I ordered an English manual from the Mitsu dealer, takes about a month to get, don't ask me why, and costs between 300-500 baht.

• Like 1

Cheers, don't think I'll be using it too much.

No one does. Except those with their Cap on Backwardsgiggle.gif .

Or those who have had many years of operating motor vehicles but very little actual experience driving.

You know, the people that cannot understand brake fade when travelling downhill for extended periods while riding the brakes, and go in to shock when they are rapidly approaching the back end a truck with nothing left in the brake pedal, wishing they had understood the basics of engine braking.

The + - allows you to go to manual override of the gearbox computer and use the engine as you see fit. Depending on motor revs/road speed the shift you desire may be denied to protect the engine, but with common sense it can be a very useful feature.

For example if there is a risk of becoming bogged, some auto overrides allow for a third gear start reducing the likelihood of wheel spin.

Another use can be when towing a heavy load and the gearbox continuously changes up down a gear, the manual override can be used to select and stay in a certain gear.

It is simply another tool for the driver to use if so desired.

Edit to add:

If you want "normal"auto just select D

If you want "manual" slect D then push the gear shift to the left, then up and down as you like. Have a play with it, you will soon work it out and can't do any damage.

Edited by Mudcrab
  • Like 2

No, it's for semi auto shifting, up each time for one gear and down each time to down shift.. it's Tip-Tronic style, put it in that position and you have to up shift and down shift manually, it will over-ride you though if you fail to shift and shift up or down as an auto, but only after some time it realizes your not shifting it.

Actually no it's not the same as you said transam.

You said "Dunno, but looks like manual gear shift as you don't have gears marked on the shifter run........."

Dunno isn't the same as what WarpSpeed said.

• Like 1

You said "Dunno, but looks like manual gear shift as you don't have gears marked on the shifter run........."

Fink thats a ma&pa and girls thought..............laugh.png

• Like 1

No, it's for semi auto shifting, up each time for one gear and down each time to down shift 4 or 5 speed? You'll have to try it to find out how many gears? Likely 5.. It's Tip-Tronic style, put it in that position and you have to up shift and down shift manually, it will over-ride you though if you fail to shift and shift up or down as an auto, but only after some time it realizes your not shifting it. Synchro shift + = continually upshifting to top gear and then - = down shifting to lower gears.

Every gear is available.
Could be, but on many cars, including mine, only a few lower gears are available, since they are the intended use.

Fink thats a ma&pa and girls thought..............laugh.png

Clearly you have little understanding of English. Dunno means you are not sure but venturing a guess.

Also a fink is not related to the act of thinking, nor to ageist or misogynistic slurs.

fink
fɪŋk/
NORTH AMERICANinformal
noun
  1. 1.
    an unpleasant or contemptible person.
verb
  1. 1.
    inform on (someone) to the authorities.
    "there was no shortage of people willing to fink on their neighbours"
fail to do something promised or expected.
"administration officials had finked out"
It can also mean A rat, a snitch, an informer, a stoolie. The very lowest form of human scum
  • Like 1

Cheers, don't think I'll be using it too much.

No one does. Except those with their Cap on Backwardsgiggle.gif .

Or those who have had many years of operating motor vehicles but very little actual experience driving.

You know, the people that cannot understand brake fade when travelling downhill for extended periods while riding the brakes, and go in to shock when they are rapidly approaching the back end a truck with nothing left in the brake pedal, wishing they had understood the basics of engine braking.

The + - allows you to go to manual override of the gearbox computer and use the engine as you see fit. Depending on motor revs/road speed the shift you desire may be denied to protect the engine, but with common sense it can be a very useful feature.

For example if there is a risk of becoming bogged, some auto overrides allow for a third gear start reducing the likelihood of wheel spin.

Another use can be when towing a heavy load and the gearbox continuously changes up down a gear, the manual override can be used to select and stay in a certain gear.

It is simply another tool for the driver to use if so desired.

Edit to add:

If you want "normal"auto just select D

If you want "manual" slect D then push the gear shift to the left, then up and down as you like. Have a play with it, you will soon work it out and can't do any damage.

Thanks a lot, very clear and concise explanation.

Every gear is available.

That's what I figured too but since I don't own a pickup I was not going to argue. Regards for the confirmation.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Cheers... coffee1.gif

Every gear is available.
Could be, but on many cars, including mine, only a few lower gears are available, since they are the intended use.

You do know that if you are starting in a gear and then up shifting that eliminates 2 gears essentially being high and low as you are already in one gear and then reaching the top gear and not shifting past it, whether shifting down from high gear or shifting up from low gear, essentially with a 5 speed you are only shifting 3 times up and down, so you won't really be counting them in the shifts.. There is no neutral.

Never seen one that doesn't provide all the gears available in the gear box same as the auto, it is merely an alternative semi auto box effect through electronics, what you're describing sounds more like a 4 WD transmission, which has manual pulling or towing gears.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Agh inking just a little common sense I would say it is n up or down gear movement, ie going up a hill click the - minus and will knock it down 1 gear, wanting to pass another car quickly, put your foot down and click the minus, click the + to go up 1 gear.

• Like 1