Australian Credit Cards with no foreign transaction fees?

Not sure abt credit cards, but I didnt pay any fees on my CITI Debit card. As long as you have internet banking and can top up your balance online, its gold - particularly if you can get to the CITI ATMs in BKK and avoid the 150-180THB withdrawal fee per transaction. I have a Thai bank account now and no longer need the CITI account, but it was very handy when I arrived back in April.

I thought citibank charged a 3% foriegn trans fee on purchaces thats a debit card but no withdrawl fee at their own atms at asoke etc. You can withdraw more cash there in one hit tho thats an advantage over low limit thai atms. Thats an australian dollar savings account withdrawing thai baht. I changed to hsbc but they have no benefits here, but good for 1$ for 1point frequent flyer points with qantas one world. But also 3% foreign trans fees.

I may use cash card in future with velocity and qantas. I think the virgin cash card has no foriegn trans fee and multi currency

Up to 55 days interest free on purchases

I love the fine print on that offer:

To take advantage of up to 55 days Interest Free on credit card purchases, you must pay the full balance of the account (excluding unexpired Interest Free promotional plans) both for the statement before the purchases were made, and for the statement on which the purchases are listed.

Lemme see..... pay off, in full, your previous 30-day statement, then pay-off the current statement's charges to date. What's, then, left to accumulate interest charges against? I certainly hope there would be no interest on two 30-day statements paid in full. But, what a great advertising ploy for those who never read the footnotes.

Aussie rules banking is kinda funny.....

28 Degrees for credit (purchases)

Citibank Plus for debit (withdrawing cash)

Both good, master/visa fx rates, pay off the credit every month and it'll cost you virtually nothing. Citibank Plus gives you fee free international SWIFT transfers too - just make sure to select receiver pays fees (to Thailand, at least...)

Am with Com bank and if I draw cash out of an ATM here in Thailand it cost a lot

Ok I see the fees and I hate them.

But then to give such a shitty exchange rate as well after charging so much fee is such a huge rip off.

Down with Banksters.

• Like 1

But when you use a Oz card you get outrageous oz exchange rates. Yep they are hideous, take a look for the baht.

Fees ar the least of your worries. The rate is set by you home bank.

get a local account and use that logically with cash you bring form home, exchanged here.

GE Finance's 28 Degree Mastercard is probably the better one.

The airlines' global wallet (similar type) systems look ok, but the fees are in the details. inactivity fees, loading....

Have a look at mozone.com.au (money zone) for more and reasonably current information.

Yes this one...

http://www.28degreescard.com.au/

No annual fee
No international transaction fees on purchases
No currency conversion fees
Exchange rate is OK too.
Debit Card: Citibank Plus
Credit Card: 28 Degrees

Not so good now. It charges $35 if you withdraw at an ATM from a positive balance ie. you load your card up with cash. Still good for credit purchases.

Yes this one...

No annual fee
Exchange rate is OK too.

Not so good now. It charges $35 if you withdraw at an ATM from a positive balance ie. you load your card up with cash. Still good for credit purchases.

Maybe you are talking a cash advance which charges 3% or $4, whichever is greater?

http://www.28degreescard.com.au/credit-card-features/interest-rates-fees.html

Yes this one...

No annual fee

Exchange rate is OK too.

Maybe you are talking a cash advance which charges 3% or $4, whichever is greater?

You are right. But about 18 months ago they changed the fine print and now all cash withdrawals are deemed cash advance whether you have a credit balance or not. It was good while it lasted.

Yes this one...

No annual fee

Exchange rate is OK too.

You are right. But about 18 months ago they changed the fine print and now all cash withdrawals are deemed cash advance whether you have a credit balance or not. It was good while it lasted.

I was loading up the 28 Degrees card before this change too. That's when I got the Citibank Plus Debit Card and now use both.

Besides, apparently loading up the 28 Degrees Card above your limit, this money was not covered by fraud.

By the way, remember to advise these banks when you are in Thailand as I've had my card locked by their security when making a withdrawal. No big deal to call them when in Thailand and get it fixed though.

Edited by Youbloodybeauty

Both good, master/visa fx rates, pay off the credit every month and it'll cost you virtually nothing. Citibank Plus gives you fee free international SWIFT transfers too - just make sure to select receiver pays fees (to Thailand, at least...)

This is interesting, so you can make international transfers through Citibank Plus account to an account in Thailand, no fees.

Do they show the exchange rate at the time?

receiver pays fees

Any idea of what fees would be?

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

This is interesting, so you can make international transfers through Citibank Plus account to an account in Thailand, no fees.

Do they show the exchange rate at the time?

receiver pays fees

Any idea of what fees would be?

Cheers.

Send AUD for the best exchange rates although surprisingly Citi's rates haven't been too far off the Thai onshore rate the past couple of times I looked. Check the receiving bank's rates to get an idea of how much baht the receiver will get if you send AUD. Fees at the Thai end are 0.25%, min 200 max 500 baht.

If you send receiver pays fees then there will be no fees, apart from the 200-500 mentioned above. DON'T send it sender pays fees - $35 charge to you...

It's a SWIFT transfer now (used to be manual and take a couple of days) so usually arrives same day, if you send it first thing aussie time.