Very slow loading times from US & UK sites : are things slowing down?

Paulinho

I noticed the ping time to the states is typically around 300ms. Is it me, or are things slowing down? I ran some tracetoures and it seems to take a long while to get out of thailand....

I don't recall it being this slow.

Someone at my IT Centre mentioned it was due to the introduction of 4g onto the net / re configuration of servers that connect directly onto Internet internationally... i got lost at that point.

All I know is I have a VPS in the States with InMotion hosting my pictures on a blog there, and it loads 10/20seconds.

Any ideas?

P

• Like 1

Not seeing a problem on 13Mbps 3BB in Chiang Mai. Try Pingtest.net to see your results. Mine are 240-250ms to San Francisco.

attachicon.gifPingtest.JPG

attachicon.gifSan Fran.JPG

attachicon.gifUS.JPG

Thanks, Tywais. Am on 3BB here in Jomtien staying with a friend for a dew days and he has 3bb in his pad.

I just got back from Cambodia & it seemed faster there. Much.

http://deekwa.com/newgen/home/

Can you do me a favour - how long does that page take to load? From Chang Mai? It should be about 3-4 seconds....

Any my ping time is almost 500ms!

P

Nearly 10 seconds for a full page load but that page is very heavy on scripts and images so not surprised at the slow load time for me. About what I would expect with that kind of page layout.

Yeh, maybe you are right. Taking more like 20 down here.

Maybe just over loaded at local gateways around this area.

Thanks for taking time to check.

There are school holidays now in TH = Millions of kids watching Youtube playing Online games (even more than usual)

Yep, there is clearly a very big spike in internet usage the last few days. On top of that, there also seems to be some bad BGP tables leaving the TH IIG's (or purposely changed to save costs?), so traffic is being routed on very weird paths.

I noticed the same in the last days, accessing ThaiVisa.com from the eastern seaboard and also concluded, it is the surveillance system.

However, checking wit Nice Trace on my iPad, I noticed that sometimes ping times and packet loss are quite acceptable, but in between the packet loss and ping times increase tremendously.

(Fixed line, ToT, 10 up, 0.5 down)

Edited by BernieOnTour
  • Like 1

You got a REALLY nice blog there, but what it seems to lack is proper optimization: http://gtmetrix.com/reports/deekwa.com/lS5g1fZ2

Some things you can do to speed up:

- Use a CDN, Cloudflare is free and works great -> www.cloudflare.com

- Optimize all images with i.e. Smushit from Yahoo (just google it)
- Use a caching module in Wordpress i.e. W3 Total Cache (assuming u use wordpress)

Only these things already will double your sites speed. There is a lot mor you can do, Google is your best friend:).

Pretty much the same times here in Lamphun Province.

I generally reset my router which does the trick most of the time but sometimes I have to do it 3 or 4 times in a day to get a decent result.

It's a real pain in the neck but I suppose we have to live with it under present conditions.

There are school holidays now in TH = Millions of kids watching Youtube playing Online games (even more than usual)

Yep, there is clearly a very big spike in internet usage the last few days. On top of that, there also seems to be some bad BGP tables leaving the TH IIG's (or purposely changed to save costs?), so traffic is being routed on very weird paths.

Can you say monitoring efforts? I mean, if they are monitoring line messages currently, then why not others.

Edited by John1thru10

@ Paulhino

Launching your VPS upon connection will eventually get you back to more normal ping times. At least, that's what it did for me... thumbsup.gif

Amazingly, I 10-ping CAT-Telecom in BKK from Chonburi at 263 ms but takes me only 56 ms to 10-ping Toronto (or NY, LA, etc.)

The first 5 or 6 hops to CAT give a decent +/- 45 ms but then slow down to an unacceptable >200 ms

Anybody knows what's that bottleneck down the route ?

post-132246-0-40484700-1419314089_thumb.

post-132246-0-47301800-1419314125_thumb.

Edited by GMajor

Not seeing a problem on 13Mbps 3BB in Chiang Mai. Try Pingtest.net to see your results. Mine are 240-250ms to San Francisco.

attachicon.gifPingtest.JPG

attachicon.gifSan Fran.JPG

attachicon.gifUS.JPG

Thanks, Tywais. Am on 3BB here in Jomtien staying with a friend for a dew days and he has 3bb in his pad.

I just got back from Cambodia & it seemed faster there. Much.

http://deekwa.com/newgen/home/

Can you do me a favour - how long does that page take to load? From Chang Mai? It should be about 3-4 seconds....

Any my ping time is almost 500ms!

P

24 seconds to load from Mukdahan.....very slow for two days....ping to US 352 ms