another day another rip off attempt

zoza

LOL worrying about 30 Baht in a brothel.

From what I read this is a bar and a guesthouse if I know the one he is talking about, not a brothel, but that is beside the OP's point. People like you and all the people who liked your post will never get it, never. It's not about how much money it is, it is about the lying and cheating and scamming. I just had a motorcycle taxi guy try to cheat me out of 10 baht last night buy pulling a confusion scam as money was handed back and forth. Of course, I can afford to lose 10 baht, but why should I like it. I don't like it and I never will like it.

I guess people like you enjoy being lied to and scammed and cheated. More power to you. Come on over to my home and I'll be happy to cheat you out of some money or I can lie to you, whatever you would like.

It's just Thai bashing pure and simple. If it was a new ingenious scam or for a serious amount of money then fine, take some time out of your day to write a post and warn people, but there are more and more who create these threads just to Thai bash and to get off by seeing others do it as well.

If 35thb is that big a deal then

A/ don't go to dirty little bars in Pattaya where you're spending in an hour what they earn in a day.

B/ don't come to Thailand at all or

C/ politely ask for your change and leave it at that.

Try finding a bar in the UK or the US that sells bottled beers for a little over 80pence. You can't so complaining about it in Thailand is not about principal it's a reason to Thai bash.

I have a feeling that even if the staff had been Cambodian he would have still made his point.

To accuse him of Thai bashing is simply pathetic apologism.

Also, you appear to be getting almost 70 Baht to the Pound for your beer money.

1/ the staff weren't Cambodian

2/ 45thb per beer is about 80-85pence

So erm.....you're wrong on both counts. But keep trying.

From what I read this is a bar and a guesthouse if I know the one he is talking about, not a brothel, but that is beside the OP's point. People like you and all the people who liked your post will never get it, never. It's not about how much money it is, it is about the lying and cheating and scamming. I just had a motorcycle taxi guy try to cheat me out of 10 baht last night buy pulling a confusion scam as money was handed back and forth. Of course, I can afford to lose 10 baht, but why should I like it. I don't like it and I never will like it.

I guess people like you enjoy being lied to and scammed and cheated. More power to you. Come on over to my home and I'll be happy to cheat you out of some money or I can lie to you, whatever you would like.

NO.. People like you dont get it. Maybe once you have lived in Thailand longer you will get it. The issue is the girl lost face, that is the problem.

People get killed over losing face Thailand. So is that 10-20 baht worth your life?

• Like 2

What is it with the 2 for 1? You ask for one Leo they put 90B on the bill. You get the second Leo free. Get a third and they add 90B. I only want to drink 3 so they charge for 4. I say, no way. The cashier comes over and said OK you pay 150B. I say OK. Now I paid 50 for each beer.

I don't like their BS. 3 has me driving OK. 4 is too many. So I have 2 and leave. Stupid is as stupid does.

It's just Thai bashing pure and simple. If it was a new ingenious scam or for a serious amount of money then fine, take some time out of your day to write a post and warn people, but there are more and more who create these threads just to Thai bash and to get off by seeing others do it as well.

If 35thb is that big a deal then

A/ don't go to dirty little bars in Pattaya where you're spending in an hour what they earn in a day.

B/ don't come to Thailand at all or

C/ politely ask for your change and leave it at that.

Try finding a bar in the UK or the US that sells bottled beers for a little over 80pence. You can't so complaining about it in Thailand is not about principal it's a reason to Thai bash.

I have a feeling that even if the staff had been Cambodian he would have still made his point.

To accuse him of Thai bashing is simply pathetic apologism.

Also, you appear to be getting almost 70 Baht to the Pound for your beer money.

1/ the staff weren't Cambodian

2/ 45thb per beer is about 80-85pence

So erm.....you're wrong on both counts. But keep trying.

You do make yourself look foolish by not reading TWO posts correctly. (Specsavers for you chum).

From the OP:-

I am not a regular in this place but I have been in on odd occasions

after three small leo's I asked the girl waiting on how much was a small beer, she replied 55 baht

so I hands her 170 baht,

Note:- At the rate I obtained today that equates to £1.08... some 35% more than 80 Baht

.. and said "even IF the staff were Cambodian..."

Try and keep up... even if it is a bit difficult for you.

Wow ... so cheap, and you asked for change !

no wonder she was pissed off ...

why not just laugh it off at the time but in your mind your thinking .. never coming here again.

That would be a more logic and less stressful result for both parties ... agree ? :-)

• Like 1

What I don't get is how so many of you are saying bad things about the OP. He was being ripped off. It doesn't matter if it was only 30 baht or any other amount. This tends to happen all too often in this country and just because some of you are willing to put up with it that just gives them more incentive to do it to others. I feel the same, I don't want to be charged more than what I am supposed to be paying. At what point do some of you feel it is alright to lodge a complaint? 100 baht? 1,000 baht?

It would have to be a great deal more than 30 baht. It seems like OP caused the server to lose face. Let's say the girl honestly thought it was 55 baht a bottle. Then it looks like you are "making a problem" over FIVE baht. At 55 baht a bottle, they are not making a killing. At 45 baht, they are giving it away.

In any case, making a fuss in a bar over small things can often lead to a BIG needless hassle.

No offense to all the guys standing on "principle", or to the OP. We all have our own ways of looking at these moral dilemmas.

You will find not too many Thai would be making a scene over 5-10 baht, so when a foreigner does it, who is supposedly rich, it gives all foreigners a bad name.

I know i have had customers wait for 1 baht change, yes you read correctly, 1 baht change.

He came to eat every single day and physically licked the plates, and always without a fail waited for 1 baht change.

1 day i wanted to see how long he would wait, so did not give back immediately.

30 mins he sat there, then asked about his 1 baht, and believe it or not had the nerve to return the next day.

You do not want to know what thai staff were saying and talking about foreigners.

I also sometimes lick the plates, usually that in establishments where the portion was too little for the price charged.

The girls in the bar spoke about this a couple of days ago, The guy paid his bill which they said was a total of 135 baht by giving them a 100 note a 50 note and a 20 note - They obviously thought the extra was a tip or why include the 20 baht note in the money he gave them. Next thing he kicks off asking for his 35baht back as they did not bring him change.... two sides to every story

• Like 2

The girls in the bar spoke about this a couple of days ago, The guy paid his bill which they said was a total of 135 baht by giving them a 100 note a 50 note and a 20 note - They obviously thought the extra was a tip or why include the 20 baht note in the money he gave them. Next thing he kicks off asking for his 35baht back as they did not bring him change.... two sides to every story

Obviously the OP gave them that amount because the staff said a beer was 55 Bht. x 3 = 165 Baht.

• Like 1

What I don't get is how so many of you are saying bad things about the OP. He was being ripped off. It doesn't matter if it was only 30 baht or any other amount. This tends to happen all too often in this country and just because some of you are willing to put up with it that just gives them more incentive to do it to others. I feel the same, I don't want to be charged more than what I am supposed to be paying. At what point do some of you feel it is alright to lodge a complaint? 100 baht? 1,000 baht?

It would have to be a great deal more than 30 baht. It seems like OP caused the server to lose face. Let's say the girl honestly thought it was 55 baht a bottle. Then it looks like you are "making a problem" over FIVE baht. At 55 baht a bottle, they are not making a killing. At 45 baht, they are giving it away.

In any case, making a fuss in a bar over small things can often lead to a BIG needless hassle.

No offense to all the guys standing on "principle", or to the OP. We all have our own ways of looking at these moral dilemmas.

You will find not too many Thai would be making a scene over 5-10 baht, so when a foreigner does it, who is supposedly rich, it gives all foreigners a bad name.

I know i have had customers wait for 1 baht change, yes you read correctly, 1 baht change.

He came to eat every single day and physically licked the plates, and always without a fail waited for 1 baht change.

30 mins he sat there, then asked about his 1 baht, and believe it or not had the nerve to return the next day.

You do not want to know what thai staff were saying and talking about foreigners.

I also sometimes lick the plates, usually that in establishments where the portion was too little for the price charged.

Order double to avoid the licking or may be can ask for a job as a human dishwasher if too hungry ;)

I'd rather be the foreigner scammed 30฿ while drinking beer in sexpat heaven than the Thai waiter scamming 30฿ while working in sexpat hell.

If that happened to me (probably did) I would just remember it for next time and note to myself to ask for the price next time before ordering.

I don't say it's not ok to post a thread about it, because this is what Internet forums are about. But seriously, losing 30฿ sounds greater to me than making some Thai waitress lose face and get banned from the place :)

Karma !

• Like 1

Obviously the OP gave them that amount because the staff said a beer was 55 Bht. x 3 = 165 Baht.

Obviously the OP said here they told him that and Obviously the staff say differently but Obviously there is no need to ask the price of the beer as it is Obviously written on the tab - Obviously like I said there are 2 sides to every story.

• Like 1

you obviously haven't been in this place? by no stretch of the imagination could you call it a brothel. LOL.

Lets see.. Soi Buakhao, Soi LK, Pattaya, and with 45 baht beers................it's a cheap and nasty brothel!!! cheesy.gif

You don't see. The bar referred to is a straight out watering hole with food and accommodation available. Cheap and nasty just refers to the comment really.

I was in Pattaya a few weeks ago in the beer garden and a bunch of balloon chasing old were were in there, occupying the best table overlooking the sea but drinking whiskey from a plastic water bottle. The manager caught them and tried to confiscate the bottle but threw them out. What a nerve!

That's a good one. Someone I know reported to have taken street cart sushi into Fuji to cut down the potential bill amount. I'll have to find out what tip if any they left. Sounds like a potential tag team could be on here with the BG guys.

Catching someone cheating and rubbing their noses in it is certainly not appreciated in Pattaya.

Sadly one just has to keep one's eyes open, particularly this time of year.

A lot of people lining their pockets.......

If you do not make yourself aware of the price of something before ordering, they may well make one up.

It isn't everywhere though.

Edited by jacko45k

Maybe what you say is true but I've never known Thais to be very casual when it comes to money. I believe in most Western societies, the norm is to return exact change to a customer in a restaurant, grocery store, or where ever a retail purchase is made...even if it's only 1 cent. (This is the custom in Thailand as well because in 7-11, Foodland, Subway, Swenson, or wherever I buy anything exact change, down to the last satang, is always given.)

I would suggest you train your staff that this is the expectation of your Farang clientele; and that they should follow their own cultural norm and stop trying to steal from your customers (yes there's a joke in there but I'm not going to say it). The customers can then decide how much, if any, they wish to tip. You might also try adopting this standard as your own as well as you seem to endorse your employees' theft.

Exactly. Who is is doing the nickel and diming here?

• Like 1

Obviously the OP said here they told him that and Obviously the staff say differently but Obviously there is no need to ask the price of the beer as it is Obviously written on the tab - Obviously like I said there are 2 sides to every story.

That's quite obvious.

Have I missed something.

At K...siree bar they bring a chitty with every drink.

Big LEOs are 65 Baht from memory.

Yes, they bring a check-bin with every drink and this little detail is missing from his story. Was drinking smaller bottles by the sound of things. Mate of mine drinks there regularly. Never a problem.

Everyday it becomes more clear why they hate foreigners.

On the contrary, they think we are stupid because many falang are nice people and won't argue about it or say anything so they feel they can get away with it. If you haven't figured it out, they have no respect for us falang and basically hate us...at least the scammers do. In this country there is no feelings of guilt for doing something like this.

Edited by oneday
  • Like 1

The OP must be lacking in grace or style to make such a fuss about nothing. ...it is not a matter of principle. It is a matter of dignity and deportment. The OP blew it big time over an inconsequential amount of money and is an embarrassment to us all. If a few cents means so much to you and you can't be more philosophical about such events then SE Asia is not for you because you get too angrily too easily about nothing. I am going to this place and tip all the staff and have a laugh about cheap Charlies. ...

• Like 1

According to some, when you get ripped off you just bend over and grab your ankles, because to complain is Thai bashing.

if it was an accident why did the cashier start screaming F you? all I done was to ask for my change

from the girl who was waiting on, I never raised my voice just asked politely.

when I had a drink in the place before I had allways drank large beers and after seventeen years here I may

of let my guard slip slightly and trusted the barmaid not to try and scam me.

a few months back I got a motorbike taxi to my place, I gave the taxi lad what I thought was 40 baht for

a short journey the driver gave me a puzzled look ? when I got indoors I realised what the look was for

I had given him 1020 baht! and when I told my mates the next day everyone had a good laugh over it.

most Thai's are not liar's and cheats some are.

The scams are extremely disconcerting. Went for a massage yesterday,was asked 1 or two hour,chose 2 hour.

Well off she goes,then a "special" was involved. Choked the chicken OK ,and my fountain of youth was firmly displayed,but horror of horror when over she said "finished" . All this in one hour ,but lady wanted two hours payment. Said no way, 5 hundred,plus one hour, Lady said "you no come back" OK I said back pawnee.

Terrible attitude