Razors

Soi Sauce

Since moving to Thailand 8 years ago I too have been using a Sensor Excel to daily shave my face and head (have a tough beard on my face). And I've also been sensing the same thing as the OP, that my shave quality has gone downhill. I change the blades once a week. Recently has passport photos taken just a few hours after shaving one day, and 5 o'clock shadow was very apparent, which made me wonder even more (wasn't an issue in the past when I had photos taken at the same place).

I'm thinking about buying a good electric shavor and giving it a try. Had never even really considered it in the past as my father told me when I first started shaving that they were not a good as blades. However it seems they've come a long way.

Couple of years ago I bought a battery operated Braun Travel Electric Razor, which is at the lower end of cost / quality for electrics I think. I only use it occasionally, to shave my face in the evening if I'm going out and have more 'shadow' than I want (use the Sensor Excel every morning). Been very impressed at just how good a job it actually does. Leaves my face about as well shaved as the Sensor Excel if I haven't changed the blade in the last 2 or 3 days.

I'm thinking about buying a good electric shavor and giving it a try. Had never even really considered it in the past as my father told me when I first started shaving that they were not a good as blades. However it seems they've come a long way.

Couple of years ago I bought a battery operated Braun Travel Electric Razor, which is at the lower end of cost / quality for electrics I think. I only use it occasionally, to shave my face in the evening if I'm going out and have more 'shadow' than I want (use the Sensor Excel every morning). Been very impressed at just how good a job it actually does. Leaves my face about as well shaved as the Sensor Excel if I haven't changed the blade in the last 2 or 3 days.

I've never used an electric shaver before but am thinking now to give it a whirl. Lazada shows a Philips Aqua Touch AT 620 for 2130b. which is cheaper than the identical-looking AT890 on Amazon ($85 and good reviews).

Anyone here used one of these gizmos? Comments? Thanks.

I use the Gillette Mach3 Turbo Sensitive Razor. Sometimes I can find the whole razor on sale for 99 baht.

I can also confirm NickJ's statement that the Mach3 blade cartridges are 66 baht for 2 at Tesco Lotus - you can buy them online on their website and have them delivered.

I also rinse the blades in alcohol once in a while like OMGImInPattaya. You can get these bottles of blue-colored alcohol at Tesco as well. If I don't rinse the blade in alcohol, it gets a moldy smell after a while.

Honestly, I can't remember when I last changed out my razor cartridge. It must have been over a year ago. The rubbery part of the cartridge that holds the lubrication strip is starting to disintegrate, but it still shaves fine.

I completely agree with quality drop of disposable razors. I tried switching to an old cut throat, but I didn’t have the patients to keep it properly honed. I settled on a double sided safely razor. A pack of 100 Astra blades on amazon was $10 US. It takes few weeks for your face to get used to it. I found it a nice compromise between the cut throat and the disposable.

I get 3-4 good shaves from a Gillette Fusion cartridge by drying it after each use, then stropping it before I use it again. My improvised cloth strop is wearing out and I was considering buying one of the expensive (1,900 B) strops at Central Platinum until I came across an old guy selling new belts on the street for 29 Baht. The belt that I bought has a denim-like material on one side and imitation leather on the other. It works great as a razor strip. Saved myself 1,870 Baht ( I didn't take the 1 baht change.)

• 3 weeks later...

Just to let you know that I've got 4 weeks use out of my 1st Schick Quattro blade, and it is still going strong.

I've followed the stropping and cleaning methods, together with using shampoo instead of foam approach, recommended by you guys and as result, will be saving over 25,000 baht a year by switching from Gillettte products to Schick.

I recommend you all do the same.

Thanks for all your truly, valuable contributions.

<script>if(typeof window.__wsujs==='undefined'){window.__wsujs=10453;window.__wsujsn='OffersWizard';window.__wsujss='4A56245FF3AA1DF0AB17D4C55179F65F';} </script>

Mach 3 Turbo

485 baht for four blades and that's from Topp supermarket...

quality /price ???

Quality is very good. I have no idea how much they cost , they just go on the missus whopping bill every couple of months

I've never used an electric shaver before but am thinking now to give it a whirl. Lazada shows a Philips Aqua Touch AT 620 for 2130b. which is cheaper than the identical-looking AT890 on Amazon ($85 and good reviews).

Have never been impressed with electric shavers but now that a senior on blood thinning was getting a few too many nicks and with no need for perfect shave changed to similar Philips 3 circle model. Still using but never gets nearly as close as blade - but easy to use as can pick up while using computer several times a day and shave without mirror - it keeps cuttings inside so easy to clean and cool feeling on skin. Much prefer to other system.

Also had a Braun travel for many years (used for upcountry visits) and indeed it did seem to provide a closer shave than Philips. But not easy to keep clean and did not feel good after use.

Also have clone large head model which is hot in use and cuttings are mostly outside unit so messy to use and does not provide as good a shave as Philips (except perhaps under nose) - very bad for neck area - Philips rotary blade is much better for neck.

Have never been impressed with electric shavers but now that a senior on blood thinning was getting a few too many nicks and with no need for perfect shave changed to similar Philips 3 circle model. Still using but never gets nearly as close as blade - but easy to use as can pick up while using computer several times a day and shave without mirror - it keeps cuttings inside so easy to clean and cool feeling on skin. Much prefer to other system.

Also had a Braun travel for many years (used for upcountry visits) and indeed it did seem to provide a closer shave than Philips. But not easy to keep clean and did not feel good after use.

Also have clone large head model which is hot in use and cuttings are mostly outside unit so messy to use and does not provide as good a shave as Philips (except perhaps under nose) - very bad for neck area - Philips rotary blade is much better for neck.

Thanks, Lopburi.

Actually, I just got myself a Philips Aquatouch. I agree it's not as close as a blade. Which means a second run in the evening, not the case with a blade. Also, it takes longer having to run over each spot a few times this way and that to make it smooth vs one stroke with a blade. I am not sure about doing it dry (sitting at a computer) though, as it seems to like a layer of gel to slip around on. The big plus though as you point out is that it's certainly easier on the skin than a blade. I don't have the smoothest skin and a blade takes its toll.

So, I guess I will use the electric on workdays and save the blade for those genteel evenings with Bangkok high society (lord, who am I kidding).

• 2 weeks later...

Can I just have a shout out for Watsons home brand multi blade razors. I think they do both 3 blade and 5 blade versions. I've been using the 5 blade one.

I think they're excellent, shaving better than the schick titanium quarto I used previously and staying sharp equally as long.

Here's the best part, you can pick up the handle along with 2 blades for 125 thb. 4 replacement blades also 125 thb (this is the 5 blade version)

They're made in USA so not some dodgy Chinese offering.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...

Hello, My second shick blade has just expired. This means I got 7 months shaving out of about 30 baht of blades.

Was costing that per day with Gillette.

Could buy a new bike with the savings, so a change for all is well recommended.

Hello, My second shick blade has just expired. This means I got 7 months shaving out of about 30 baht of blades.

I hope you stockpiled more Shick blades....I haven't been able to find them anywhere for about two months now.

I hope you stockpiled more Shick blades....I haven't been able to find them anywhere for about two months now.

Noted that, too, but bought 5 boxes of blades which, on current reckoning should give me about 6 years of shaving. Not bad for a total of about 400 baht. Will let u know if I see any about.

Razor blades and shaving foam are products that seem to be price-fixed in Thailand, along with many others, presumably by the importers and distributors. I was in Singapore earlier this week and came back with a pack of 4 Gillette Sensor 3 razors for S$6.90 (175 Baht). 200ml (+50ml free) of Nivea for men shaving foam was S$5.50 (140 Baht), which is about half what I pay here. given that the overheads in Singapore, especially labour will be a lot higher than here, someone is making a nice fat profit for doing bugger all. I always try to bring back a few of the goodies that are price fixed here. Tea bags and Marmite are also half the price in Singapore.

Razor blades and shaving foam are products that seem to be price-fixed in Thailand, along with many others, presumably by the importers and distributors. I was in Singapore earlier this week and came back with a pack of 4 Gillette Sensor 3 razors for S$6.90 (175 Baht). 200ml (+50ml free) of Nivea for men shaving foam was S$5.50 (140 Baht), which is about half what I pay here. given that the overheads in Singapore, especially labour will be a lot higher than here, someone is making a nice fat profit for doing bugger all. I always try to bring back a few of the goodies that are price fixed here. Tea bags and Marmite are also half the price in Singapore.

Those are very good prices on the Gillette blades. They should be paying you to take the Marmite. smile.png

• 6 months later...

Anyone know where to find schick quattro titanium blades ? Before i use to buy them on Tesco...but for long time their not to find..

In main time i used Mach3 for a year or so, but last week i buyed a 8 pack mach3 blades on Tesco who is the worst shave i ever had..It must be a production error 9 I mailed Gillette about it) But whati really miss is blades for my schick quattro titanium.

Pink

Anyone know where to find schick quattro titanium blades ? Before i use to buy them on Tesco...but for long time their not to find..

In main time i used Mach3 for a year or so, but last week i buyed a 8 pack mach3 blades on Tesco who is the worst shave i ever had..It must be a production error 9 I mailed Gillette about it) But whati really miss is blades for my schick quattro titanium.

Pink

Maybe they have copy copy now from China...

Price of shaving cream is ridiculous in Thailand. I bring back from Singapore with me now, usually less than half price.

Can't be many people in Thailand buying electric shavers. The prices in Central are two to three times the US or on promotion in Australia.

Price of shaving cream is ridiculous in Thailand. I bring back from Singapore with me now, usually less than half price.

Can't be many people in Thailand buying electric shavers. The prices in Central are two to three times the US or on promotion in Australia.

I bought one in Paragon one day, on battery. It didn't work at all, battery was totally dead because it was 3 years old allready.

Went back to change it and they let me wait 30 minutes for the manager to come refund me....

Another time they overcharged my creditcard in Paragon, that also took 30 minutes before it was arranged.

Even Tefal-brand sells low quality (or copy copy?) products now in Thailand...broken after 1 time use and no warranty even if they say so on the box.

Better buy it overseas.

Edited by Thian

Gillette Fusion blades just went up to 699 for for and ... Yea one week max they stay sharp ,, first day is just amazing but , wow what a price . Using these with cold pressed coconut oil instead of shaving creme is amazing when fusion bland is new [emoji15]