Local Reaction To The Influx Of Outsiders In The Bangkok Post

sbk

:o Well, well, well, then let's ALL leave and leave the Island to itself! :D

In no time it will generate itself...but then maybe some will cheat and hide and sell it all... :D

Ahh well, guess it's just as is.... so why not stop pointing fingers at each and everyone stop blaming people which we do not really know, stop making up things... it's too easy! :D

Why not go the way, the whole nine yards and start to tackle the PROBLEMS by its very ROOTS!? :D

Wouldn't this be much more promising?

All the good Ideas could be thrown into one pool and we ALL start from this point - everyone seem to know where the roots of the problems are - so why not start diggin' right away? :D

Why it hasn't happened yet? Way too many conflicts of interest, contradictions, rivalries, too much money involved, way too little ethics, way too little morality, good governance, administration, way too many 'bend' people... that's why it will not happen soon... :D

"When the last tree has been felled, when the last river.....then we will realize that we can't eat money.." then, not before, that's how we are - ALL of US - let's face it, here is the root of the Problem.

IT'S US - NOT THEM!

When I came here people, except relatives, from Surat, were called Foreigners, ev'ryone who wasn't Chao 'mui was a stranger.... but that was in Hawaii, on Tahiti, on Fidji once the same - let's face it, the world is getting ever 'smaller' and we will have to share it ALL, some are willing some are not, this is anpother core problem!

It's always US - not THEM - remember!?

Edited by Samuian

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Valid points, Samuian, especially now that the Island looks sad in the northern+ area, flooding a big problem,etc.etc.

Problem is that people(a lot) don't want Samui to become like Pattaya the Island, Can you understand this? But you're right to, start to work together so it doesn't become AS BAD as Pattaya.

SBK: "My husband is from here and I have lived here for 17 years so that makes me accepted,… The massive influx of non-locals has clearly damaged the local community in Samui and is beginning to damage the local community here."

Why does having lived on Koh Phangan make you "accepted"? And by whom?

I am not being obtuse; I am looking at your reasoning and seeing its flaw. Because you were here "first," you feel that you are not part of the "massive influx of non-locals," which you allege have "clearly damaged the local community."

By your reasoning, all the "non-native" people who are here will be "accepted" by 2023 (or sooner). And in the same vein, just when was it when you were acceptable here? Ten years after you arrived? Five? One? Or are you saying that marrying a local gave you a "get out of jail free card"?

I lived in Taiwan for 20 years and I would never say that my presence there was more acceptable than it would be for someone who had been there 20 minutes. Nor would I say that marrying a local gives you special strutting rights.

You lament that non-locals are damaging the community and state that you were in Phangan 17 years ago. This would indicate that you were on the vanguard of the wave of problems. You, in a sense, have led the way for others to follow. Or have you, over the years, told your friends and relatives not to come to Samui or Phangan? Have you said, "This island is a paradise and if you all start coming it will ruin things"? Unless the influx of foreigners and the results have come as a complete shock to you, wasn't part of your responsibility to keep outsiders away?

You can't have it both ways. You can't say that foreigners being here in growing numbers is bad when you yourself came here and continue to be here.

SBK: "My husband is from here and I have lived here for 17 years so that makes me accepted,… The massive influx of non-locals has clearly damaged the local community in Samui and is beginning to damage the local community here."

I am not being obtuse; I am looking at your reasoning and seeing its flaw. Because you were here "first," you feel that you are not part of the "massive influx of non-locals," which you allege have "clearly damaged the local community."

By your reasoning, all the "non-native" people who are here will be "accepted" by 2023 (or sooner). And in the same vein, just when was it when you were acceptable here? Ten years after you arrived? Five? One? Or are you saying that marrying a local gave you a "get out of jail free card"?

I lived in Taiwan for 20 years and I would never say that my presence there was more acceptable than it would be for someone who had been there 20 minutes. Nor would I say that marrying a local gives you special strutting rights.

You lament that non-locals are damaging the community and state that you were in Phangan 17 years ago. This would indicate that you were on the vanguard of the wave of problems. You, in a sense, have led the way for others to follow. Or have you, over the years, told your friends and relatives not to come to Samui or Phangan? Have you said, "This island is a paradise and if you all start coming it will ruin things"? Unless the influx of foreigners and the results have come as a complete shock to you, wasn't part of your responsibility to keep outsiders away?

You can't have it both ways. You can't say that foreigners being here in growing numbers is bad when you yourself came here and continue to be here.

You don't read do you? I said that either you are from here or you aren't from here and I am accepted because my husband is from here. Phangan is not Taiwan, we are talking about a small island that originally had 7000 people. I can't really understand your hostility. If you can't comprehend what I am trying to explain then clearly you have never lived in a very small community where everyone knows everyone else and everyone knows everyone elses business. If you disagree with what I have to say, well that is your right, but since you obviously don't know what you are talking about may I suggest you back off? I am tired of repeating and repeating the same thing simply because you read out of my comments what you choose to want to read.

Just about sums it up Mark. Agreed - can't have it both ways.

Edited by somchai jones

With out Isan workers who's going to build the Hotels , Resorts and road's, the local know how to pick coconuts and fish and sleep. As for Bangkok people and Foreigners puting nothing in and just taking, where is is the money coming from to build hotel's and then offer employment for the locals, as before when they grew up they had to leave the island to find work. There are always people not happy when some one else is making the money.

Pick coconuts,fish and sleep ! Mate , you forgot about 'dumping the rubbish' they dont even see it .

I also feel you can't have it both ways, and if Im not wrong you and husband, run a resort, right, if so You are part of the problems as is your husband.

Obviously none of you read. You seem to think this is an anti foreigner thing. Non-local does not equate non-Thai. Let me repeat it again so you understand. Either you are from here or you aren't from here. Doesn't matter Thai, farang, Burmese or Vietnamese. You are not from here.

And to be perfectly honest, I live here because this is my husband's home. If I weren't married to him or if something happened to him, I wouldn't be here. Simple as that.

I am trying to put forward the local opinion as told to me by locals. Since my husband is local and his entire family is local and I have lived here 17 years I have a fairly good insight into how the locals think and their attitudes towards outsiders.

I have also seen the massive influx of non-locals moving onto the island in the past two years and seen the attitudes of these people. Some are good, some are bad but none of them are involved in the local community.

If you don't like the attitudes of the locals, well that is your problem. Don't live here :o . But, I am just trying to point out that the LOCALS (ie people born and bred here with family connections) resent the overwhelming presence of people who show little respect for local traditions and culture. And to be honest, the majority of that resentment is against Isaan and Burmese migrant workers who come and take jobs that locals could be doing, and poach off of locals property.

And John1 and Huckenfells arrogant attitudes are just exactly the reason why LOCALS don't like non-locals. Come to someone's home and then criticise the way they speak and the way they live their lives. Amazing.

Its really amazing how completely off target some of you people are, you just do not understand what I am talking about. And you know what that says to me? You never will.

If you were involved with local people, had local ties you would understand. Regardless of how long you have or have not lived here.

I also feel you can't have it both ways, and if Im not wrong you and husband, run a resort, right, if so You are part of the problems as is your husband.

I am talking about people who come to LIVE here, not tourists. Thought that was pretty obvious.

OK, since it isn't clear to anyone here I will rebut this post point for point

Why does having lived on Koh Phangan make you "accepted"? And by whom? I live on Koh PHangan and am accepted because my husband is local and am accepted by locals

I am not being obtuse; I am looking at your reasoning and seeing its flaw. Because you were here "first," you feel that you are not part of the "massive influx of non-locals," which you allege have "clearly damaged the local community." I never said this, you did. My point is that people are coming here with NO ties to the local community and seemingly could care less about the local inhabitants

I lived in Taiwan for 20 years and I would never say that my presence there was more acceptable than it would be for someone who had been there 20 minutes. Nor would I say that marrying a local gives you special strutting rights. Once again, Koh Phangan is not Chinese so your reasoning is quite poor here. We are talking about a small enclosed community. And no, if you don't have local ties then you won't be accepted here.

You lament that non-locals are damaging the community and state that you were in Phangan 17 years ago. This would indicate that you were on the vanguard of the wave of problems. You, in a sense, have led the way for others to follow. Or have you, over the years, told your friends and relatives not to come to Samui or Phangan? Have you said, "This island is a paradise and if you all start coming it will ruin things"? Unless the influx of foreigners and the results have come as a complete shock to you, wasn't part of your responsibility to keep outsiders away? Well,I guess, by your reasoning my husband shouldn't have fallen in love with me and shouldn't have decided to live in his own home because he married a farang. I'll be sure to tell him you think so. Also, I haven't been discussing tourism but people coming to live here and work here.

You can't have it both ways. You can't say that foreigners being here in growing numbers is bad when you yourself came here and continue to be here. And once again, I NEVER said foreigners. I said NON LOCALS and if you can't figure out what the heck that means after I have posted it over and over again, then NEVER MIND

But, I am just trying to point out that the LOCALS (ie people born and bred here with family connections) resent the overwhelming presence of people who show little respect for local traditions and culture. And to be honest, the majority of that resentment is against Isaan and Burmese migrant workers who come and take jobs that locals could be doing, and poach off of locals property.

What I don't understand here is how are the Burmese and Issan workers taking these jobs so easily? I mean, who is hiring them, the locals?

I had an idea that Koh Phangan much like many Thai islands have always been controlled by the locals as they own all the land, so how did they lose this control over their island? By selling the land?

Surely the locals have benefitted from the tourism that has developed on the island, and helped encourage it, surely this is just an unwanted side effect of that.

QUOTE(sbk @ 2006-08-17 11:02:28)

But, I am just trying to point out that the LOCALS (ie people born and bred here with family connections) resent the overwhelming presence of people who show little respect for local traditions and culture. And to be honest, the majority of that resentment is against Isaan and Burmese migrant workers who come and take jobs that locals could be doing, and poach off of locals property.

so , no chance of a multi ethnic , multi racial inclusive society there then ?? :o

What I don't understand here is how are the Burmese and Issan workers taking these jobs so easily? I mean, who is hiring them, the locals?

I had an idea that Koh Phangan much like many Thai islands have always been controlled by the locals as they own all the land, so how did they lose this control over their island? By selling the land?

Surely the locals have benefitted from the tourism that has developed on the island, and helped encourage it, surely this is just an unwanted side effect of that.

It is only benefitting those locals wealthy enough to start their own business. As was quoted in the Samui article, alot of locals are land rich but cash poor. The only way to get money is to sell land, my neighbor owns a very nice piece of beach front land and when she applied to the bank for a loan to start a bungalow business was turned down. Usually the ones with the real money are not from the island.

Isaan and Burmese work for about half of what the locals do.

And before anyone starts, my husband's family did sell some land to get where they are today, and two out of three of our staff are locals, one is not local but has ties to the island.

But, I am tired of being a target here for people who don't like the message. So, let me make something very clear. I did not want to do bungalows, but was overruled by my father-in-law. I did not advocate selling land for cash but since the land belongs to my father-in-law it was solely his decision. And, if I were not married to my husband, I wouldn't be living here.

I am just trying to explain a point of view that I have been told and seen for myself. If you don't like the message, don't shoot the messenger.

QUOTE(sbk @ 2006-08-17 11:02:28)

so , no chance of a multi ethnic , multi racial inclusive society there then ?? :o

Where in rural Thailand do you see that? and for the locals, Koh P is essentially still quite rural with rural attitudes and outlooks.

It is only benefitting those locals wealthy enough to start their own business. As was quoted in the Samui article, alot of locals are land rich but cash poor. The only way to get money is to sell land, my neighbor owns a very nice piece of beach front land and when she applied to the bank for a loan to start a bungalow business was turned down. Usually the ones with the real money are not from the island.

Isaan and Burmese work for about half of what the locals do.

And before anyone starts, my husband's family did sell some land to get where they are today, and two out of three of our staff are locals, one is not local but has ties to the island.

But, I am tired of being a target here for people who don't like the message. So, let me make something very clear. I did not want to do bungalows, but was overruled by my father-in-law. I did not advocate selling land for cash but since the land belongs to my father-in-law it was solely his decision. And, if I were not married to my husband, I wouldn't be living here.

I am just trying to explain a point of view that I have been told and seen for myself. If you don't like the message, don't shoot the messenger.

I'm not targeting you at all SBK, why you said all that in your reply to me I'm not sure, but I do appreciate you've been given some grief on this thread. :o

I do think though that the locals on Koh Phangan are trying to have their cake and eat it. I appreciate they need to sell land because its the best way to make a quick buck, the island is perfect to develop for mass tourism.

It just seems a bit rich to be complaining about the non local influences on the island after they have sold that land to non locals and people without ties to the island. Everytime I am down there I hear about a local Thai trying to sell another bit of land to a farang.

When the locals have sold all the land it will not be their island anymore and they will get pushed out by Thais from elsewhere. Give it a hundred years or so and those people who's ancestors bought land on the island or migrated their to work will have become the new local Koh Phangan people.

I can't help but thinking if the locals were a bit more careful who they sold the land to that these hassles could have been lessened.

I would guess that when they first started tourist related businesses or sold land many years ago locals did not realise the nature of the beast they were unleashing. What started out as an idea to rent out a few huts to backpackers has resulted in something very different.

Once awoken, it has become unstoppable and you I can empathise with those that must feel powerless to do anything about it, especially as it may have been their neighbour and not them that sold land to developers.

I would also guess the majority of non local workers now on the islands were brought in by farang developers who are always looking for cheap labour.

I dont think it is worth playing too much of the blame game here. SBK is simply reflecting the views of locals as she hears it and everyone else involved in the islands is just doing there own thing which is contributing to the problems described.

If any blame is needed, it has to go to local government of all kinds, who have done nothing over the years to mitigate the effect of expansion other than line their own pockets.

Just to cut in there guys, this whole influx thing...

Well Koh Taos reaching the hinge factor of overdevelopment, some say way past the point of no return. Too many divers, hangers-on and tourists swamping the place. Look at the size of Samui, Koh Phangan in comparison.

I tell you there its ten times worse. Everything problem-like that Samui/Phangyan has Koh Taos just about nearing. The water supply alone cannot cope.

The whole problem stems from too much greed. The government just stands idly by with its head in the sand. I've never seen capitalism sink so low as to the Thai Islands. It plumbs new depths just reading more about whats happening recently.

Paradise Lost?? You bet!

[quote name='bkkmadness' date='2006-08-17 12:15:45' post='852866

It just seems a bit rich to be complaining about the non local influences on the island after they have sold that land to non locals and people without ties to the island. Everytime I am down there I hear about a local Thai trying to sell another bit of land to a farang.

I can't help but thinking if the locals were a bit more careful who they sold the land to that these hassles could have been lessened.

If they hadn't sold their land how else could they have afforded the hundreds of Toyota Vigo's and D-max's that now ply the overcrowded roads... Do you really think Toyota built a brand new showroom to cater for the coconut growers and fishermen??? course not;they're aiming at all the greedy thai's that have sold the "family silver" and have to be seen driving the very latest blinged-up truck....after all,they could have kept the land and stayed on their Honda Waves.... :o

Actually, malice you are in part correct and in part incorrect. Without a good paying job it is nearly impossible to live on this island anymore. So, the locals who are land rich and cash poor find themselves forced to sell land just to survive. Yes, some buy new trucks but to be honest, most of those new trucks you are seeing are being paid off. And not many of them are being bought by the old time locals, most are bungalow owners and new arrivals (ie in the past 3 years, which is when Koh Phangans onslaught came)

My husband has 40 (yes count em) surviving first cousins, about 3/4 of whom live on this island and probably about 16 or so surviving aunts and uncles. All but one live on this island. None of them are directly involved in the tourism industry (ie own bungalows). Some do alright, some do quite well (those indirectly involved ie selling bottled drinking water) but most are just above the poverty line. They are driving their Honda Dreams (Waves are kinda expensive) and making do with coconuts or fishing. But, the coconuts are getting hard to find because of the beetle explosion (due apparently to the decimation of the squirrel population) and orchards are tough because you have to guard them from poachers. So, life isn't so easy anymore. Plus, the traffic is terrible, people drive like maniacs and it is tough for the old people to learn to adjust to the sudden quickened pace of life.

bkkmadness, you generally stay on the other side of the island from me and I, too, have noticed the proliferation of for sale signs over there. I asked my husband about it and he said that side of the island has generally been quite a bit poorer than our side of the island so most of those people selling will have land but no money. It isn't as common on the Ban Tai, Ban Kai side. And sorry, I wasn't responding to you but to those others who won't read.

Also, a few things I would like to ask those people how dislike what I have to say; Are you involved in any way in the local community? Do you have any attachment to the locals on this island? Do you do anything to help out? There are things that could be done that would help, show some personal investment in the community other than just self interest. Volunteer at the local schools, they don't have much money and can't afford lots of foreign teachers. Your time would be greatly appreciated. Spend some time and clean up uninhabited beach. It would certainly help the environment. Our village headman has a bi-annual road cleanup. Do you get involved in things like that? Do you attend important holidays at the wat? Do you ever get invited to a wedding? A house opening? Have you ever attended a funeral of someone you knew?

If you answer "No" to any of these questions then perhaps you need to rethink your position and re evaluate the reason for your defensiveness.

Well said,sbk, about the questions. I do help cleaning the beaches as well as the roads, since I can't stand to see rubbish all over and if everyone just picks up some plasic water bottles and other papir, and garbage, we could show others NOT to leave things here and there,But use a garbage can, which should be more off-this Charma is right on with, that the local gov. could provide more gargage cans,etc and a fine for littering would be nice, as long as its been posted that littering cares a fine.

SBK (and others) I can't do anthing else than try to make a reply to your post.

YES, it's sad that so many places in Thailand are changing with lightning speed.....very sad indeed!

You are writing about the enormous changes on Koh Phangan and Samui in general but it is happening all over Thailand as well as the rest of the world...as you know.

The biggest point is that culture- and family-values are disappeaing with the same speed as described above, very unfortunate, but I'm afraid that there is no stopping to this as the 'greed' of so many -poorer than Farang- (Thai)-people is growing with the same speed.

I came to Thailand when 'Patong Beach' or Hat Patong as the Phuket people called it was still a virgine paradise....no more.

When I travelled the inner countryside on Phuket all the children AND adults were smiling and waving "Sawasdee Khap" to me....no more.

BUT: in every little shack I was passing there was already television, radio....a motobike in front of the shack.......you know what I mean?

Than the cars came, more tourists, more money and more money. Tourists were starting giving tips...unheard of in the 'old' days.

The Thai were thinking: "hey...they are giving away money, just like that....what is happening in 'our' Thailand, Koh Phangan, Samui and the rest of all the touristplaces?

The Farang are 'giving' away money......unheard of in the old days.

And than..............in 1989 a certain 'intelligent-brilliant-future-viewer' (was he?) Doctor from Bangkok opened the (lovely) airport of Samui with his Bangkok Airways.......and exactly THAT was the beginning of the end of the same culture- and family-values, existing on the islands.

Sad but true.

You, SBK, and some other writers have already said that the main problems existing now were not -just- the 'greedy' developers and rich -Farang- and Thai investors from inside Thailand but mainly the lack of intelligence and future viewers from the local-, provincial- AND Government 'rulers' .

In my humble opninion there still is no -greater future- view from the 'Surat Thani' government in general.

So sad but true.

Personally I think that the area need some very young and bright Thai (maybe even foreign educated) 'green' future-viewers VERY SOON in order to clean up the mess and try to restore just a bit of the islands beauty.

If they don't I fear that the kind of 'upgrade' tourists the developers are looking for will stay away with the same speed of lighting I was talking about before.

And what kind of tourists will come to the islands than................

I think you all know the answers.

Oh, and, Taxexile, I certainly hope the same thing doesn't happen to 'your' Hua Hin as well but I was reading that the same 'greedy' developers just dropped an eye or 2 to Hua Hin as well.....

Poor Thailand...the Thailand we all love so much. :o

LaoPo

Sad but true... and all in blue.

Hey I've just realised something. Everyone seems to agree that all this started around 1989. Now was this the airport arriving, or a certain TV member? Now let's see, who arrived in 1989..... :D

:D

Let me guess: "YOU" and the Doctor from Bangkok? :o

LaoPo

Sad but true... and all in blue.

Hey I've just realised something. Everyone seems to agree that all this started around 1989. Now was this the airport arriving, or a certain TV member? Now let's see, who arrived in 1989..... :o

:D

Me :D , but I arrived on Koh Phangan in 1989, not Samui. Phangan hasn't seen any major changes until the past 3 years. Sure, tourism has grown, but not exponentially, the only big changes have been the massive influx of non-locals moving onto the island in the past 3 years or so.

I was just wondering SBK, are there any formal or informal organisations or forums that the locals utilise or mobilise from. I am sure that they all know each other, but how is their voice heard and how are their views projected as a community? With the influx of non-locals they would need to act to prevent their views from being sidelined.

I was just wondering SBK, are there any formal or informal organisations or forums that the locals utilise or mobilise from. I am sure that they all know each other, but how is their voice heard and how are their views projected as a community? With the influx of non-locals they would need to act to prevent their views from being sidelined.

None that I know of, frankly. A good puyaibahn will speak out for his village and several of our local elected officials are quite good. BUT, no, I don't think there is any organization that will project their views as a community. Good idea, but I worry for someone who organized such a thing. Doesn't take big money to get rid of a loud irritant. :o