Report on one year extension (marriage) at Phuket Immigration

LivinginKata

The dreaded day arrived this morning. I was apprehensive from recent reports. Spend a couple of hours the previous day photocopy evey page in my passport, every page on my WP, tax papers, company papers, wife's papers, anything else I could think of.

Left Kata at 08,00 expecting to get there about 08.45. Traffic was surprisingly light and we arrived at 08.30. No parking inside, park on main road (as usual), Quite a crowd waiting at the upper door, Wifey took a place in the queue while I got my photos downstairs. Smaller queue at the lower level (tourist exension/90 day report). Lady at photo copier was overwhelmed and despite me being 3rd in that queue I had to wait until the 2nd lady arrived.

So upstairs by 08.45, door already open, and orderly queue, no pushing or shoving. But only one volunteer on duty checking papers, mostly looking for the proof of residence paper. Get ticket number 15 at 09.00. Take seat, next number called was 5. Get to officer about 09.30 (not bad at all). Each year I expect to get sent away for some paper I had 'forgotten'.

Everything went smoothly, many papers handed back. These had been asked the previous year (company tax papers and company audit), not doubt if I had not produced then i would have been asked for then, but hey no problem. I was handed a new declaration to sign, ask about any police record etc. Paid the 1,900 baht,stamp stamp stamp. All that complete about 10.00. This is where we usually wait at least half hour for the captain to check and sign. But officer gave me copies on my passport and new stamp and told me to collect my passport the next day.

We were so early we popped round to the labour office to start the WP process. Finished the registration process by 10.30. Needed that receipt to prove to Immigration tomorrow that I am applying for another year's WP.

Tomorrow back to Immigration to hand over WP paper and collect passport (go straight to desk - no wating). Then back to labour office to complete all the WP process. All too easy so far ....

• Like 2

If it's a 1 year extension (marriage), why do you need to show tax papers, work permit etc ?

Because I have a Work Permit and since 3 years now I am not given the option to show the 400,000 baht in the bank (like i used to do). Now if married to a Thai national and have WP then now can only show income and all the financials that go with that. How I wish I could just show the money in the bank like before.

If it's a 1 year extension (marriage), why do you need to show tax papers, work permit etc ?

Because I have a Work Permit and since 3 years now I am not given the option to show the 400,000 baht in the bank (like i used to do). Now if married to a Thai national and have WP then now can only show income and all the financials that go with that. How I wish I could just show the money in the bank like before.
I have extension on the same basis, use tax payment as proof of income.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Interesting and could that mean that a retire with pension from abroad and who pay tax on that income in Thailand could use tax receipts (income tax payment certificate) from the revenue office as proof of income for retirement extension at Immigration?

Interesting and could that mean that a retire with pension from abroad and who pay tax on that income in Thailand could use tax receipts (income tax payment certificate) from the revenue office as proof of income for retirement extension at Immigration?

Show me who pays Thai tax on a pension from abroad ?

Any pension paid in home country is proof of income for immigration regarding retirement extension.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Why would anyone want to pay tax in Thailand on retirement pension income???? Would you not be paying tax on it at the source???

Any pension paid in home country is proof of income for immigration regarding retirement extension.

I do and can verify that annually by income tax payment certificate, certificate of residence and tax recipes in coordination with our tax treaty with Thailand. Why Its interesting, it would be one paper mill less and easier and cheaper than to send pension slip and pay the embassy every year.

If you're from the USA, you must pay tax on all of your income to the US government no matter where you made the money and where it is paid to you. The US has a tax treaty with Japan so that you can exclude any tax paid in Japan from your US tax liability and vice versa. I assume that Thailand has a similar treaty with the US so that if you pay tax on your pension income in the US, you won't need to pay tax on it here. I don't know of any individual who declares his foreign pension income to the Thai tax authorities. Do you?

I do and can verify that annually by income tax payment certificate, certificate of residence and tax recipes in coordination with our tax treaty with Thailand. Why Its interesting, it would be one paper mill less and easier and cheaper than to send pension slip and pay the embassy every year.

I would presume Thai immigration would like to see Thai income tax paid, not us or elsewhere.

I would presume Thai immigration would like to see Thai income tax paid, not us or elsewhere.

What do you mean stevenl? The tax are paid here on Thai Baht. Transferred from abroad and the amount taxable is calculated from a annual statement from my Thai bank which I have to bring with to the revenue office, together with copies of Passport showing the arrival departure stamps together with a written self declaration stating how many days I have spent in Thailand for the last tax year (180 days rule).

Edited by Felt 35

What do you mean stevenl? The tax are paid here on Thai Baht. Transferred from abroad and the amount taxable is calculated from a annual statement from my Thai bank which I have to bring with to the revenue office, together with copies of Passport showing the arrival departure stamps together with a written self declaration stating how many days I have spent in Thailand for the last tax year (180 days rule).

Sorry, misunderstood you.

I would think that to be sufficient for your renewal, but you'd have to check with immigration of course.