Moving into a Condo....

ShaunEdwards9

NancyL,

How long is your (or what is considered) a long term lease?

Occasionally I have had people ask about condos.

Let's see, we've done 2, 3 and 5 year leases, with a fixed monthly rental price. Each time with the upfront understanding that we would pay for some remodeling that would remain with the condo if we left. The longer the lease, the more money we're willing to invest.

So far, we haven't had any major maintenance problems, aside from replacing a couple of electrical boxes or hot water heaters, which at 2000-3000 baht I suppose some people would expect the condo owner to do. We haven't. Just isn't worth the hassle of asking.

Now for something major, like replacing an aircon unit, then I think it's time to talk with the condo owner. Those units weren't new when we arrived and they'll still have many years of life left when we leave. I don't think it's fair to expect a tenant to replace a really major item like that.

Or to do structural repair work -- the condo owner has worked with the building people on window leaks. No way that can be blamed on the tenants. Heck,it's a good thing the unit is occupied and we're cleaning up the leaks before there's any water damage to the walls. We just go and report the leaks to the building management and they work it out with the condo owner.

Edited by NancyL

Thank you, Nancy, and Merry Christmas.

That makes sense.

Some people seem to think 6 months is a "long-term lease". Then when asked to pay for holes in the walls, discolored paint, etc., couldn't understand why they did not get their deposit back.

I have heard of rentor/lessor paying for repairs and renovations being both ways. I think it is a matter of the character of both the renter and owner, and the agreed monthly rent. Even with all that being "fair", I have heard more deposits not being returned than being returned. Some stories are clearly the renter's responsibility in my opinion.

Thank you again.

Edited by hml367

NancyL,

How long is your (or what is considered) a long term lease?

Occasionally I have had people ask about condos.

I am looking at a one year rental if I really like the condo. Have you any suggestions? Cheers.

I would not offer a suggestion because I am not acquainted with you at all. The people that have asked me in the past are people that I am acquainted with. That is why I asked the question of Nancy. The last instance I remember is an acquaintance that had a 6 month agreement and had to return to their home country for an emergency for a few months.

I don't think there is a "one-size-fits-all" place to stay in Chiang Mai. This is even more apparent from reading this and other threads.

I also think it takes some time to find out if a place is "right" for anyone. I would not advise any of my own acquaintences to start off with a 1 year lease (remember lease and rent are English terms, which may not translate exactly as an English speaking person is used to) in any area, unless that person is willing to lose whatever penalties may be attached to breaking the lease.

There is so much good information on the forums. All I will offer is to take it slow and consider anything that could happen - like holidays, school terms, tourism, etc. Any or all of these things could have a major effect on the traffic, noise, and "feel" of any place you decide on.

Also remember that in Chiang Mai essentially there are no zoning requirements, or at least they are not enforced uniformly.

I know of a superb large 2 bed condo.. REALLY nice.. Suddenly coming available.. Will need a fast agreement before Dec 29. After that I dont know how to connect it up.

Its located in a block just near tesco kantiem (unsure of spelling on that) so less fashionable than nimanheamin etc but very easy connections around the city if you have a scooter.

I think its 13k a month nicely furnished. This is not your usual low end small condo. I have seen places this nice asking 20 and more.

I am looking at a one year rental if I really like the condo. Have you any suggestions? Cheers.

now shaunn, here is a correct feed into the scrum,(no second row)

one year minium leases were the norm,through realtors etc etc until recent times

nowadays 6 months are common,and in some cases 3 months are available

so if i was in your present position excepting a 1 year lease, i would be looking for a 10% discount on rental price

or take a 3 or 6 month short term lease,with a provision that if extended the rental price remains the same

shaun u hold all the cards, most landlords are in a tight corner,to find a responsible renter

in short, it is a renters market, make full use of this feed, perhaps run to the blind ,alerting your lock to take a inside flick passsmile.png and its try timeclap2.gif

• Like 1

I did a week when I first moved here. Took about 4 days of looking around to figure out what side of town I wanted to live on, then find a suitable place in that area. I think I actually moved out of the hotel room on day 6.

Excellent point. Before looking for a condo look around the city and try to figure out what area you want to live in. Unless as another poster has said you want some modifications made and they agree to them you should be able to move in the same day.

Every one is different. For myself the location is more important than the condo. So I would probably spend more time checking out the area than I would the condo. Not sure about hotels or guest houses but I am sure there are some where you don't have to sign a contract for a short stay like a week or two. Can't swear to that but I believe it is possible.

• Like 1

At this time the advantage is for renters

Due to the crazed overbuild scenario there is an abundance of houses and condos for rent and I would say it pays to look thru the websites first , visit your top 3-5 condo units with the agent

And the one you really like , visit it at night to ensure there is no karaoke superstar wannabe and then walk they the building with the office girl looking for a cheaper unit as there are normally multiple units available in the same condo block with just a owner sign at the door

Happy searching :)

And the one you really like , visit it at night to ensure there is no karaoke superstar wannabe and then walk they the building with the office girl looking for a cheaper unit as there are normally multiple units available in the same condo block with just a owner sign at the door

Normally I would just ask at the office for rental units available. I didn't realize that they would allow you to walk thru the corridors looking for owner signs? That would be great as prefer to rent direct from owners.

So far, we haven't had any major maintenance problems, aside from replacing a couple of electrical boxes or hot water heaters, which at 2000-3000 baht I suppose some people would expect the condo owner to do. We haven't. Just isn't worth the hassle of asking.

having rented both, condos and houses from 2002 to 2007 (in my old gals name,from thai landlords),never have to pay one baht more then the monthly rent

any maintence probs, big or small,was deducted from the monthly rent, with accompanying invoices , the landlord was at all times ,notified of such expenses etc etc

it was never at anytime a hassle for my old gal to process this avenue,in fact our thai landlords were very happy, that we were attending to minor maintence matters,at it was a bonus to have a responsible people,renting from them,and taking care of their propertys well being

but guess its a head start ,doing such business,thai to thai,and have the necessary nous to do so

so saying #just is nt worth the hassle of asking#,is not on the money,and the 2000 to 3000 bahts etc etc all add up, at the end of the day, don,t they????

and the old adage comes into play

if u don,t ask..u get nuffin

a lovely boxing day morning to allsmile.png

• Like 1

Normally I would just ask at the office for rental units available. I didn't realize that they would allow you to walk thru the corridors looking for owner signs? That would be great as prefer to rent direct from owners.

Some of the fancier places have pitbull managers who guard the place like it belongs to them :) some places are more laid back and you can walk right in ...

• Like 1

Some places have bulletin boards in the lobby where owners can post notices of units for rent. Or make inquiries at the condo office. Sometimes owners use building staff to show their vacant units and pay a small commission. It's not as much as they'd have to pay an agent, but they don't really need to use an agent if they already live in town, but don't want to come in to the building every time someone simply wants to look at the vacant unit.

In our building, the really good units often aren't advertised. Their availability becomes known by word of mouth. So, if there's a building where you'd like to live, consider just getting a "starter studio" there to get yourself known. Maybe with a six month lease and then get to know people. Let it be known that you'd really like a larger unit, or a nicer unit. Make friends. Talk with people. Eventually, you'll find out about someone who is getting ready to move and their unit will be available.

I know someone who simply sat in the lobby of my building for a day or so and talked with everyone who came off the elevator until she found a rental. It was someone who had a unit that he was going to just leave vacant while he was out-of-country, but he decided she looked OK, so he went ahead and rented it to her.

• Like 1

Some places have bulletin boards in the lobby where owners can post notices of units for rent. Or make inquiries at the condo office. Sometimes owners use building staff to show their vacant units and pay a small commission. It's not as much as they'd have to pay an agent, but they don't really need to use an agent if they already live in town, but don't want to come in to the building every time someone simply wants to look at the vacant unit.

From observation, it seems that there are in fact quite a lot of vacant units, especially for outlying newish condos, if the "lights on" at night is any indication at all. Yet, when I check the lobby notice/condo office, only a handful of units is available for rent. I wouldn't mind walking through each floor of the condo for rental signs, much like I drive thru' moobans looking for rental signs posted on the front gates, just for a better bargain. But then I guess the office girl will want to accompany me. I imagine they wouldn't be too keen. But I will nonetheless remember to ask the next time I go condo hunting.

I know of a superb large 2 bed condo.. REALLY nice.. Suddenly coming available.. Will need a fast agreement before Dec 29. After that I dont know how to connect it up.

Its located in a block just near tesco kantiem (unsure of spelling on that) so less fashionable than nimanheamin etc but very easy connections around the city if you have a scooter.

I think its 13k a month nicely furnished. This is not your usual low end small condo. I have seen places this nice asking 20 and more.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/realestatechiangmai/838474602918280/?ref=notif&notif_t=group_activity

That one

• 2 weeks later...

It won't take long. They will want you to pay your rent and deposit immediately and from that moment on it's yours. You will probably have the keys immediately. Some but not all of them will allow you to set a date in the future when the contract begins.

Of course the issue is finding a suitable condo or house in the first place, that search could take weeks depending on how flexible you are.

Always ask the following questions before renting anything :

Is there an active working phone line / cable tv installed - if not you might have problems getting one. This could mean no internet. I had this problem once.

How much is the electricity per unit, some (most) buildings add their own little fee which can double the rate, others allow you to pay it direct to the electric company with no additional charge - it can make a big difference.

Can't you get internet with your cell phone?

Out of my own experience - no you can't rely on your cell phone internet - and the data-packages for cellular cost quite a bit much more per month than a condo access point will. E:typos

My experience 199 baht unlimitied internet first 500mb 3g rest Edge. Never had problem with chatting and checking emails and bank and you can tether it with computer. Not fast but safe for sensible information then condo wifi.