US calls planned Thai poll delay to 2016 'unwise'

webfact

as a point of precision, ....

the military never takes its hands out of the cookie jar. That makes them one of the few institutions in Thailand to have such a luxury.

That also makes the point of 'replacement' hands mute - not that it was a valid point anyway. The evidence of military graft is almost never available until well after the fact.

As for breaking laws, you point it out - their interim constitution makes it impossible for the 'NCPO' to break the law. Literally, by definition, it is impossible for the 'NCPO' to break the law.

Amazing that some people are such 'yunta cheerleaders'

coffee1.gif

The interim constitution gives them amnesty for the coup. Not for everything since the coup.

WB: please read what I wrote very carefully and then inspect article 44 of the interim constitution which clearly states 'all orders or acts are to be regarded as lawful and constitutional.'

Looks like you've just taken a few words out of context for propaganda purposes. It appears to me that it is quite possible for the NCPO to break the law.

Section 44. In the case where the Head of the National Council for Peace and Order is of opinion that it is necessary for the benefit of reform in any field and to strengthen public unity and harmony, or for the prevention, disruption or suppression of any act which undermines public peace and order or national security, the Monarchy, national economics or administration of State affairs, whether that act emerges inside or outside the Kingdom, the Head of the National Council for Peace and Order shall have the powers to make any order to disrupt or suppress regardless of the legislative, executive or judicial force of that order. In this case, that order, act or any performance in accordance with that order is deemed to be legal, constitutional and conclusive, and it shall be reported to the National Legislative Assembly and the Prime Minister without delay.
  • Like 1

I'm American and wish the US government would stop sticking their nose into other country's affairs. I believe most Americans feel the same as me.

OK, let's revoke the defense treaty with Thailand and let China have at them. After all their fishing rights in the South China Sea are none of America's business and they shouldn't have run China out of there. At the same time The US should have just let China take those disputed (by China) islands of other allies because after all, treaties or not, it's none of the US's business.

Also, if the US revokes the defense treaty, then it won't have to worry about what China is going to do to Thailand now that Thailand and China are best buds. Having a defense treaty with Thailand, and being obligated to defend it wouldn't cause the US to have any concern about what's happening now, would it? Of course not. Mind your own business.

American companies have a lot of investment in manufacturing in Thailand not to mention franchises. If the US withdraws it's protection from Thailand, and Thailand is kissing China's ass, who would invest in Thailand, or even keep an investment in Thailand?

Thailand could look worse than Russia if the US truly pulled out. The US is also the second largest buyer of Thai exports, only behind Japan. The US is concerned about buying seafood from a forced fascist military dictatorship which continues to allow human trafficking. But it should look the other way and just buy the seafood and support the traffickers?

I could go on, but if it happened that the US took its nose out of Thailand you wouldn't like the results. The moment it withdrew its defense treaty leaving China a golden pathway, US manufacturers would begin pulling out. The US has a defense treaty with Japan also and I suspect the Japanese would pull out too.

Where does that leave Thailand?

Well put. The expression 'Be careful what you wish for because you just might get it' springs to mind.

'US out! US out! Hey, where are you going...?'

• Like 1

Keeping our nose out Thailand's affairs doesn't mean canceling defense treaties or pulling out of that country. Thailand has a lot of serious internal issues which they are trying to work out before elections. It appears that General P is making progress in some areas i.e. corruption. We should give him a chance.

Keeping our nose out Thailand's affairs doesn't mean canceling defense treaties or pulling out of that country. Thailand has a lot of serious internal issues which they are trying to work out before elections. It appears that General P is making progress in some areas i.e. corruption. We should give him a chance.

And then what, when the people decide they would like somebody else? D'you think the junta will just pack their bags and quietly leave?

• Like 1

the military never takes its hands out of the cookie jar. That makes them one of the few institutions in Thailand to have such a luxury.

That also makes the point of 'replacement' hands mute - not that it was a valid point anyway. The evidence of military graft is almost never available until well after the fact.

As for breaking laws, you point it out - their interim constitution makes it impossible for the 'NCPO' to break the law. Literally, by definition, it is impossible for the 'NCPO' to break the law.

coffee1.gif

The interim constitution gives them amnesty for the coup. Not for everything since the coup.

WB: please read what I wrote very carefully and then inspect article 44 of the interim constitution which clearly states 'all orders or acts are to be regarded as lawful and constitutional.'

Looks like you've just taken a few words out of context for propaganda purposes.

That's par for his course.

Suppress the will of the people for longer and longer and the situation becomes a boiling pressure pot in which the people are led to revolt or the suppressor crushes the life force out of the people. Either way, lots of deaths and disappearances is the result as we have seen repeatedly in Thailand over the last 5 decades.

coffee1.gif

Looks like you've just taken a few words out of context for propaganda purposes. It appears to me that it is quite possible for the NCPO to break the law.

Section 44. In the case where the Head of the National Council for Peace and Order is of opinion that it is necessary for the benefit of reform in any field and to strengthen public unity and harmony, or for the prevention, disruption or suppression of any act which undermines public peace and order or national security, the Monarchy, national economics or administration of State affairs, whether that act emerges inside or outside the Kingdom, the Head of the National Council for Peace and Order shall have the powers to make any order to disrupt or suppress regardless of the legislative, executive or judicial force of that order. In this case, that order, act or any performance in accordance with that order is deemed to be legal, constitutional and conclusive, and it shall be reported to the National Legislative Assembly and the Prime Minister without delay.

And when do you anticipate the first court cases against them?

And then what, when the people decide they would like somebody else? D'you think the junta will just pack their bags and quietly leave?

We should let the thai people resolve their own issues.

• Like 1

We don't care what you say USA, China's our new best friend.

Since when should Thai listen to the less smart Farang.

Yellow people are always smarter.

Don'r believe me, just check the average SAT/GMAT/GCE/IB/TOEFL/IETLS score etc. Yellow beat white hand down, every year.

You need to double check that statement, the average IQ in Thailand is well below that of the U.S. Once you've done that go and put your dunce hat on and sit in the corner Edited by paddyjenkins
  • Like 1

I neither pretend nor state anything about the current government. That was you. Also you normally go on and on about going back to the previous situation, for democracies sake. You seem to have no problem with those 'wrong' people getting their hands in the cookie jar.

No I never claimed to have no problem with anyone having their hand in the cookie jar.

I have a problem with how those hands are removed. It should be done in line with the constitution, not by staging a coup, abolishing said constitution, and draft your own.

Because such action would make you a criminal as well.

With one party having no problems in dazzling the electorate with 'getting everyone rich' there was a need to break the pattern. To put all your faith in a non-functioning democratic system seems not the way to get anything done, apart from seemingly confirming the right some have to having their hands in the cookie jar.

So, lets see proper reforms first.

proper reforms first...

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Love it.

Did you go to the PDRC rallies every day?

Have you ever contemplated the possibility that I am one of the five foreign leaders Pheu Thai was talking about ?

• Like 1

So others get their hand in the cookie jar, don't pretend the 'good people' are any better.

Please provide sources and evidence for the new guys' hands being in the cookie jar.

So far we have much evidence of hands of others being yanked out of the cookie jar, but aren't seeing any replacement hands going back in. If you have evidence to the contrary, please provide it.

I haven't seen that much evidence to be honest. The way they got into power is indeed corrupt, contrary to the previous government who got in fully in line with the constitution.

It isn't hard to imagine them ignoring other laws as they deem fit, in fact they have amnesty for doing so.

It must be extremely hard defending these guys and still be taken seriously Daffy..

coffee1.gif

As a point of precision, even if your statement were true that still doesn't make 'wrong' hands in the cookie jar more palatible than 'right' hands.

Amazing those who are blinded by their mission to talk down on the NCPO whenever possible. Just as amazing as the wish to go back to the days when things were only 'democratically' wrong.

• Like 2

Selectively stopping corruption in key areas. Read between the lines on that. Too bad its not up for chat, but at least it can be noted he cut off a lot of ties to the minions of Thaksin that were operating...

Edited by gemini81

why doesn't the US piss off and mind its own business and reflect on fact that the vast majority of world hate them and their citizens a has been or about to has been power poking its nose into what has nothing to do with it. USA disgusts me and many.

icare999, please tell us what your mother tongue is.

If it doesn't happen to be German, Italian, or Japanese, then maybe you should think about why you should be grateful to the Americans.

Like Poland, after bravely fighting against Hitler being handed over to Stalin by the USA like most of the democratic countries of Eastern Europe, to disappear behind an "iron curtain" for decades to come.

Or the Koreans, who were liberated from Japanese occupation only to realize that a Truman-Stalin deal would divide their country into a "democratic" South and a communist North along the 38th parallel.

And to prevent the South from trying to reunite with their Northern brothers and sisters Truman had the South Korean army stripped of all heavy weaponry, allowing the communist invaders to occupy 90% of the South encountering only token resistance. The Korean war not only cost hundred thousands of lives, it also established the PRC as super power.

The 20th and the 21st century are littered with US blunders for which other countries had - and have - to pay dearly.

• Like 1

seriously, WB, the full context changes nothing ...

OK, maybe I should change the details of my phrasing to say "the Head of the 'NCPO'". Is that better?

why doesn't the US piss off and mind its own business and reflect on fact that the vast majority of world hate them and their citizens a has been or about to has been power poking its nose into what has nothing to do with it. USA disgusts me and many.

If it doesn't happen to be German, Italian, or Japanese, then maybe you should think about why you should be grateful to the Americans.

Like Poland, after bravely fighting against Hitler being handed over to Stalin by the USA like most of the democratic countries of Eastern Europe, to disappear behind an "iron curtain" for decades to come.

Or the Koreans, who were liberated from Japanese occupation only to realize that a Truman-Stalin deal would divide their country into a "democratic" South and a communist North along the 38th parallel.

And to prevent the South from trying to reunite with their Northern brothers and sisters Truman had the South Korean army stripped of all heavy weaponry, allowing the communist invaders to occupy 90% of the South encountering only token resistance. The Korean war not only cost hundred thousands of lives, it also established the PRC as super power.

The 20th and the 21st century are littered with US blunders for which other countries had - and have - to pay dearly.

what's your mother tongue?

I'm really sick and tired of gratuitous American bashers.

I bash my own country all the time. But there are good and bad acts done by every country around the world.

Blanket American bashing is intellectually dishonest. There is no country or people in the world who have not in some way benefited from America.

If you don't like it, then get off the planet.

• Like 1

The problem is that I can't refute you without going terribly off topic. Other than to say you are 100% wrong. And your post is 100% off topic USA Flame. Back to the topic, "US calls planned Thai poll delay to 2016 'unwise" I will ask you the salient question. When do you think elections should be held?

• Like 1

Yes as the previous coup leaders did after elections were held.

Although it should be noted that the previous coup leader went over to Thaksin for a place in coalition with the Yingluck administration

I bash my own country all the time. But there are good and bad acts done by every country around the world.

Blanket American bashing is intellectually dishonest. There is no country or people in the world who have not in some way benefited from America.

However blanket junta bashing is fine by you. It is after all pretty much all you do on this site.

Tell us how much Iran, Iraq, Syria, Libya and don't forget Vietnam have benefited.

The place for defending American actions is on world news.

• Like 2

However blanket junta bashing is fine by you. It is after all pretty much all you do on this site.

Tell us how much Iran, Iraq, Syria, Libya and don't forget Vietnam have benefited.

how amazing that you could compare the two.

where are you from? Come on, be honest.

Have people in your country ever benefited from the USA?

Has your country ever benefited from a military cant-use-the-d-word-its-illegal-in-thailand-ship?

Topic

How many years can we go back in the USA bashing. 1776 good date?

I only ask so I don't post anything off topic.

I'm American and wish the US government would stop sticking their nose into other country's affairs. I believe most Americans feel the same as me.

Maybe you should spend more time in the library, instead of Walmart.

Right on topic there eh mate?

When do you think Thailand should have elections?

Edited by thailiketoo

I think you're just trying to deflect attention away from the General and your elitist heroes.

“Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in fear."

― Harry S. Truman

I think that would be a good question for the Thai people. And not just the Thais in Bangkok.

I think that would be a good question for the Thai people. And not just the Thais in Bangkok.

I asked and the topic asked when not where?

Edited by thailiketoo

Except for corruption they benefit from and laws they deem not worthy of following.

... speaking of making up assertions.

I'd ask you to support that assertion, but by now everyone knows that you won't, just like tbthailand's, and that your assertions are just fabricated wishful thinking, just like tbthailand's.

I would wish it was wishful thinking Daffy, but it isn't they already broke the law.

I understand you wish to turn a blind eye due to some incomprehensible reason, others don't, myself included.