US calls planned Thai poll delay to 2016 'unwise'

webfact

US calls planned Thai poll delay to 2016 'unwise'
Reuters
BANGKOK/WASHINGTON

BANGKOK: -- A general election to return Thailand to democracy will be held in February 2016 at the earliest, a deputy prime minister said after talks with a U.S. diplomat on Tuesday, a delay Washington later called "unwise and unjustified."

The military government, established after a May 22 coup, said last month an election planned for late 2015 would be delayed until 2016, giving more time for reforms which the military says should bring stability after a decade of factional rivalry.

On Tuesday, Deputy Prime Minister Wisanu Krue-ngam clarified the target date after talks with US Charge d’Affaires W Patrick Murphy.

"I told the US charge d’affaires today elections will take place at the earliest in February 2016," Wisanu told reporters.

"But if we have to have a referendum, polls could be delayed by a further three months," he said, referring to a possible plebiscite on a new constitution.

The United States, a long-time ally of Thailand, expressed dismay at the coup and froze $4.7 million of security-related assistance, cancelled high-level engagements, some military exercises and training programs for the military and police.

A spokesperson for the US State Department said Washington believed Thais should be allowed to choose a democratically elected government "as soon as possible."

"We ... believe a delay until 2016 would be unwise and unjustified," the spokesperson added.

The May coup followed months of protests against a populist elected government.

A junta-appointed National Reform Council last week proposed stripping parliament of the power to appoint a prime minister and cabinet.

On Tuesday, a committee appointed to draft a new constitution rejected that recommendation.

A senior Western diplomat said he was not optimistic about the possibility of an election in 2016, fearing Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha, the army chef who launched the coup, could come up with a justification to delay.

"It is not inconceivable that Prayut will stay in power for two to three years," said the diplomat, who declined to be identified.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/US-calls-planned-Thai-poll-delay-to-2016-unwise-30250559.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-12-24

The beauty of the USA is I can say anything about the government I want to say without fear of reprisal. I have freedom of speech.

On this forum I can't say what I want to say about who I want to say it.

So the topic is open to USA bashing without the opportunity to explain WHY.

So let's bash the USA and ignore what's happening in Thailand.

The the US it is for you then. thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

The election will be pointless anyway, the junta will rig it so that the control of any parliament will be held by appointed members. The token elected officials will have no power whatsoever.

After the coup before did the junta rig it?

No because Samak came into power.

This time it will be the same. They cut deals with everyone for reconciliation and in a few years there will be the same mess as before....

I think the USA isn't in the position to give recommendations......Instead they should consider to bring their own war criminals to court.

They don't recommend , the say its unwise , and they are 100% right about that.

The USA is 100% wrong.

In what way? Thais are running away from democracy and into the arms of China. The US has long had a defense treaty with Thailand guaranteeing Thailand protection against foreign enemies.

It can't have been a year, can it, since the USA sailed two Nimitz-class aircraft carrier groups through Asia in a show of force when China was threatening Islands belonging to other countries, blocking commercial air routes, and violating fishing rights of smaller countries in the South China Sea?

Also,

"LAEM CHABANG, Thailand (NNS) -- Aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72), accompanied by guided-missile cruiser Cape St. George (CG 71), departed Laem Chabang, Thailand, Jan. 10, (2012) following a four-day port visit.

While in Thailand, Sailors from the two ships visited with the people of Thailand, experienced the local culture and participated in a series of community service projects (COMSERVs) to further strengthen the relationship between the two countries. " LINK

NOW tell me what the US is to do if China starts bullying again but Thailand has run into its arms? Should the US void the treaty and let China have at it?

The US is a long time ally of Thailand and the second largest buyer of Thai exports after Japan. Japan is an ally of the USA.

It will be shown that Thailand is screwing the pooch.

I hope that if a certain person finds himself chomped in the jaws of China that the USA sits back and lets it happen. China is vastly underestimated as a crocodile.

Hehe well perhaps thais saw that great show of US strength was just a show only. Not real and apparently did nothing to stop China from doing and taking what they wanted. Thai has a long history of taking no permenant action to taking sides. They go with who is winning.
  • Like 1

We don't care what you say USA, China's our new best friend.

Since when should Thai listen to the less smart Farang.

Yellow people are always smarter.

Don'r believe me, just check the average SAT/GMAT/GCE/IB/TOEFL/IETLS score etc. Yellow beat white hand down, every year.

According go my wife and several friends, Thai social media and several news outlets are characterizing/reporting the comments as the US calling Thailand and Thais 'stupid' and a fast-growing number of people are livid.

On another point, how many Thais are actually aware of the security arrangements between Thailand and the US? None in my family, and nearly all are government employees.

Of course the USA are right.

Just look at the roaring success story of US sponsored "early" "democratic elections" in Afghanistan ("the young democracy") or Iraq, where the Government abused its mandate to terrorize the minority, turn the police into death squads and destabilize the country to such an extent, that IS just had to walk over and occupy half of it.

And let's not forget Libya, where the elected Government is in hiding and a rogue general is trying to establish law and order in the eastern part, while heavily armed murderous militias roam the rest of the country fighting each other forcing all international airports to close down.

We don't care what you say USA, China's our new best friend.

Since when should Thai listen to the less smart Farang.

Yellow people are always smarter.

Don'r believe me, just check the average SAT/GMAT/GCE/IB/TOEFL/IETLS score etc. Yellow beat white hand down, every year.

Troll with nothing intelligent to say.

Edited by Squeegee
  • Like 1

Seems like the US is ut of touch with how much of a mess this country's in. Right now the only option is a fake democracy at some point down the line. A real democracy would need enough capable and relatively decent people to hold responsibilities and sadly it seems those people haven't even been born yet.

I am no fan of US foreign policy or their meddling in other countries affairs, but to suggest they would be out of touch with the situation is the country is complete rubbish.

I am 100% positive they have far more inside knowledge than you, i or anyone else on this forum into the inner workings of what is going on at the moment. I am sure people are in regular dialogue to all manner of high up people, and have been for decades.

They have regular one on ones with all types of military, political and business personnel, from across political divides.

Of course they're watching and trying to remain communicative, I wouldn't deny that, but you're missing my point: essentially I am saying their statement is pointless, and it's in that that they're out of touch, as if their having said anything like in the OP is going to do anything other than alienate the Thais further. Right now Thailand has shifted towards China. The USA saying that's unwise is going to get the USA nowhere.