Is running really good for you?

You should try walking. A mile in fifteen minutes is a good pace and do at least 1 hour a day. I do two hours a day, 1 hour in the morning and one in the evening and have been doing this for many years. As mentioned you have to find what works for you.

• Like 1

I hope the numbers you provided where sysstolic not diastolic which it would appear you failed to mention. The diastolic number would tell more about if you did or did not suffer from hypertension. If I were you I would focus on that before the athsma. The hypertension will kill or cripple you first. Being 39 is no defense against an often hereditary disease. I have been on hypertention meds since I was 25. It is not somthing to be taken lightly.

Running 10 kms indoor ? impossible for me, boring, boring

I run every two days 40-50 mn in a park ( wonderful park, not many of this type in Thailand ) and I love it : no pain, nothing ( I am 64 and I walk and ride bicycle every day , too )

I have read that moderate run is very good to stay alive a very long time ; if OP is not at ease when running, better to do something else

Well the indoor km. I never tried for running but what I get on the bike.....I think in my best time when I did 200+ km on some day the indoor, if I would be the same time would say that I bike 500 km.

The calculation for km, the speed, the burned kcal is to make the customer happy.

just to make it quite clear, I'm suggesting you get a second opinion of a fully qualified doctor of science-based medicine.

I get the impression that you are confusing association with causation in your diagnosis.

i definitely don't recommend any "quack" cures that come with a personal endorsement.

Running is not good for you or me so

STOP IT RIGHT NOW

unless you run in tight leotards and don't have floppy things between your legs

also it makes you sweaty and smelly

SO DON'T DO IT

also it's bad for the environment, as Mr T would say think of the pavement, all those

hot sweaty people pounding the pavement in their tight leotards, i mean the ones

without the dangly things between their legs, hot sweaty bodies, stop it, do the

environment a favor and stay home, your couch needs you.

So long suckers.

PS: saw an interesting story on jogging on Dr OZ show, (jogging is a waste of time)

You should try walking. A mile in fifteen minutes is a good pace and do at least 1 hour a day. I do two hours a day, 1 hour in the morning and one in the evening and have been doing this for many years. As mentioned you have to find what works for you.

Walking is good, puts very little of the pounding on the joints,back & knees, that running does, and can be done by nearly everyone at one pace or another. Running can be good. I agree with the poster that recomended well chosen shoes, and stayin off the pavement for runs.(walking on pavement no problem.) I tried a couple kilomet run after abstaining from the run for years. In pain over a week. Next plan worked good. Run until breathing hard walk until breathing returns to normal. Run till breathin hard. Repeat until distance covered. I think about 2 miles. I am 60 have been a regular (3 or 4 times a week) swimmer for about 40 years. Cardio vascular good. Little for leg muscles. Swimming can be very good for everything. Very difficult to injure joints swimming. My health has had a remarkable turn to the good since my diet changed from whatever was offered at my work camp to fresh tropical fruit and Thai food, about half vegetarian. Doin the 2 mile walk while playing the clarinet seemed to be effective in increasing lung power. My guess is that blood works best when it is moving. Blood moves best with regular excersize. Choose an excersize program that s easy to maintain. 3 or 4 times a week till you find out whats at the end of the tunnel. Far better than a month of everyday for 3 hours followed by pain and quit for 2 weeks.

The additional stress on knees and ankle joints is also false.

Running hurts my ankles and knees, I must be imagining the pain.

And I'm one of the fittest people I know.

We have a family friend, who before he retired, was one of the top orthopaedic surgeons in the area, he always said that running or jogging, are some of the worst forms of exercise, because of the joint abuse.
  • Like 1

The additional stress on knees and ankle joints is also false.

Running hurts my ankles and knees, I must be imagining the pain.

And I'm one of the fittest people I know.

We have a family friend, who before he retired, was one of the top orthopaedic surgeons in the area, he always said that running or jogging, are some of the worst forms of exercise, because of the joint abuse.

Yup, there is always the one guy who's opinion/perspective validates everything we want to believe.

I should know after 37 years of running that it is next to impossible to convince non runners of the benefits of running, but I hope that you will at least give me credit for my efforts.

And there is this . . .

http://m.runnersworld.com/health/nine-surprising-ways-running-helps-your-body?page=single

• Like 1

Why do you think there are special shoes for running ? running shoes are made to avoid these sorts of problems

last year, I forgot my shoes , so I ran with "normal " shoes ; I felt instantly bad and I had a thigh strain , coudn't run one week

but with good shoes and soft ground I don't think it's dangerous ; every runner that I know has good shoes

Holly crap, thank you for all replies.

First of all I provided Systotic numbers as I believe if those were lower numbers (which I mentioned were always normal) I'd be dead.

I am in Bangkok, so running outside for me is not an option. Besides the pollution which is even in parks, I do need a shower afterwards, so the only option is a gym. I also use sauna as it opens my lungs and benefits my breathing a little.

In Canada I used to walk most of the time, but I find it didn't really help me. When I walk alone I get preoccupied with thoughts (mostly negative) and I am almost certain it spikes my blood pressure. I don't know what's the deal with those hospital blood pressure machines. You go on them before seeing a doctor and it spikes like crazy. Once I am in doctors office it goes down 20-30 points. At home it's the lowest.

Anyway, I did have problem with my left foot because of running. It lasted for 3 years and I thought it would last forever. However, I changed my running shoes to Asics and gradually it got better until the discomfort disappeared.

As for Asthma I don't have any food allergies, but I notice that when I eat crap, specifically Dunkin Donuts :) I get massive problems. I got very sick in Japan 2 years ago and since then I have constant wheezing and chest tightness. The flu (or bronchitis) lasted 2 months and I think I somehow damaged my lungs.

Why do you think there are special shoes for running ? running shoes are made to avoid these sorts of problems

last year, I forgot my shoes , so I ran with "normal " shoes ; I felt instantly bad and I had a thigh strain , coudn't run one week

but with good shoes and soft ground I don't think it's dangerous ; every runner that I know has good shoes

I have Brooks Cascadia trail running shoes imported from the USA.

http://www.brooksrunning.com/en_us/mens-cascadia-9-trail-running-shoes/110160.html

Still hurts my ankles and knees if I run much.

At $120 for about 6 months use, not such a good deal.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

Holly crap, thank you for all replies.

First of all I provided Systotic numbers as I believe if those were lower numbers (which I mentioned were always normal) I'd be dead.

I am in Bangkok, so running outside for me is not an option. Besides the pollution which is even in parks, I do need a shower afterwards, so the only option is a gym. I also use sauna as it opens my lungs and benefits my breathing a little.

In Canada I used to walk most of the time, but I find it didn't really help me. When I walk alone I get preoccupied with thoughts (mostly negative) and I am almost certain it spikes my blood pressure. I don't know what's the deal with those hospital blood pressure machines. You go on them before seeing a doctor and it spikes like crazy. Once I am in doctors office it goes down 20-30 points. At home it's the lowest.

Anyway, I did have problem with my left foot because of running. It lasted for 3 years and I thought it would last forever. However, I changed my running shoes to Asics and gradually it got better until the discomfort disappeared.

As for Asthma I don't have any food allergies, but I notice that when I eat crap, specifically Dunkin Donuts smile.png I get massive problems. I got very sick in Japan 2 years ago and since then I have constant wheezing and chest tightness. The flu (or bronchitis) lasted 2 months and I think I somehow damaged my lungs.

very strange.....

http://www.brooksrunning.com/en_us/mens-cascadia-9-trail-running-shoes/110160.html

What can I say ? I am not a " hard runner ", just 40 minutes every two days , just to stay in a good shape, and I buy my shoes ( Asics, Adidas, Reebok , Mizuno ) when there are competitions, like here http://www.jogandjoy.com/

price is very low ( 1000-1500 bahts ) and my ankles and knees don't hurt .

Edited by Aforek

What can I say ? I am not a " hard runner ", just 40 minutes every two days , just to stay in a good shape, and I buy my shoes ( Asics, Adidas, Reebok , Mizuno ) when there are competitions, like here http://www.jogandjoy.com/

Just some observations -

You mentioned the purchase of trail running shoes - do you run on dirt and grass trails? If you are running on roads, then perhaps these are the wrong shoes for you. Trail running on dirt and grass is forgiving and as a result trail running shoes do not have the cushioning of road running shoes. The primary goals of trail running shoes is to provide traction and perhaps some ankle support.

If not already doing so, you should also track the mileage of your shoes. I replace between 400 - 500 miles no matter how they look. Waiting to replace shoes until they appear to be wearing out can cause problems. Running shoes tend to break down in areas other than the outer soles.

My first year in Thailand I ran on the roads, which in my neck of the woods are concrete. Concrete is hard and very, very unforgiving and really beat up my legs. I now run on a blacktop trail and can comfortably run four or five days a week and I hit 25 - 30 miles every week.

By the way if you are in need of good, cushioned shoes you could do worse than Hoka - http://www.hokaoneone.com .

Edited by SpokaneAl
  • Like 2

Running sprints barefoot on grass is a really good way to debug a persons biomechanics.

If a person can't sprint then going out longer slower runs is often counter productive.

Many people have poor hip extension.

Once there is good hip extension then many diverse running exercises are possible without injury.

In this example see how the blue line can extend behind the red line?

http://www.somastruct.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/hipextension.jpg

Barefoot and sprinting enforces that range of motion.

Longer slower distances can be performed without that extension but lead to tightness and injuries

• Like 1

Running sprints barefoot on grass is a really good way to debug a persons biomechanics.

If a person can't sprint then going out longer slower runs is often counter productive.

Many people have poor hip extension.

Once there is good hip extension then many diverse running exercises are possible without injury.

In this example see how the blue line can extend behind the red line?

http://www.somastruct.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/hipextension.jpg

Barefoot and sprinting enforces that range of motion.

Longer slower distances can be performed without that extension but lead to tightness and injuries

Good advice.

P.S. Who do you love?

• Like 1

do you run on dirt and grass trails? If you are running on roads, then perhaps these are the wrong shoes for you. Trail running on dirt and grass is forgiving and as a result trail running shoes do not have the cushioning of road running shoes. The primary goals of trail running shoes is to provide traction and perhaps some ankle support.

If not already doing so, you should also track the mileage of your shoes. I replace between 400 - 500 miles no matter how they look. Waiting to replace shoes until they appear to be wearing out can cause problems. Running shoes tend to break down in areas other than the outer soles.

To answer your questions: I run in a park, grass and trail, no road ( there are roads, but I avoid them ) ; and I change my shoes about every 900 -1000 kms, as you do

• Like 1

You're wasting money buying/replacing expensive running shoes.

Barefoot is the best. I like Vibram Five Fingers. I also wash frequently, sun dry to kill bacteria. And I use Australian tea tree oil on my feet to kill "athlete's foot" fungus without dangerous chemicals.

The data suggests up to 79 percent of all runners are injured every year (consistent since the 1970s...

Nothing seems able to check it: not cross-training, not stretching, not $400 custom-molded orthotics, not even softer surfaces.

And those special running shoes everyone thinks he needs?

In 40 years, no study has ever shown that they do anything to reduce injuries. On the contrary, the U.S. Armys Public Health Command concluded in a report in 2010, drawing on three large-scale studies of thousands of military personnel, that using shoes tailored to individual foot shapes had little influence on injuries.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/06/magazine/running-christopher-mcdougall.html?pagewanted=all

• Like 1

You're wasting money buying/replacing expensive running shoes.

Barefoot is the best. I like Vibram Five Fingers. I also wash frequently, sun dry to kill bacteria. And I use Australian tea tree oil on my feet to kill "athlete's foot" fungus without dangerous chemicals.

The data suggests up to 79 percent of all runners are injured every year (consistent since the 1970s...

Nothing seems able to check it: not cross-training, not stretching, not $400 custom-molded orthotics, not even softer surfaces.

And those special running shoes everyone thinks he needs?

In 40 years, no study has ever shown that they do anything to reduce injuries. On the contrary, the U.S. Armys Public Health Command concluded in a report in 2010, drawing on three large-scale studies of thousands of military personnel, that using shoes tailored to individual foot shapes had little influence on injuries.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/06/magazine/running-christopher-mcdougall.html?pagewanted=all

Actually the research has turned on the minimal foot running movement. Vibram was successfully sued over the issue of making false claims. For me, I ran with minimal shoes for a couple of years before discovering that during longer runs, my form goes to crap, resulting in injuries. I have since moved back to traditional running shoes and am once again back to no injuries and enjoying my runs.

Here in the link on the Vibram lawsuit - http://www.runnersworld.com/general-interest/vibram-agrees-to-settle-class-action-lawsuit

P.S. The book Born to Run was a terrific read and got me, along with millions of others, to try minimal running. Most of us have gone back to traditional running shoes. I do still recommend the book - it is a fine, fine story.

Edited by SpokaneAl

You're right about the Vibram lawsuit. But they lost the suit because they made unsubstantiated medicsl claims.

Not because barefoot running is bad for you.

In fact, the latest research claims:

"..most experienced, habitually barefoot runners tend to avoid landing on the heel and instead land with a forefoot or midfoot strike. The bulk of our published research explores the collisional mechanics of different kinds of foot strikes. We show that most forefoot and some midfoot strikes (shod or barefoot) do not generate the sudden, large impact transients that occur when you heel strike (shod or barefoot). Consequently, runners who forefoot or midfoot strike do not need shoes with elevated cushioned heels to cope with these sudden, high transient forces that occur when you land on the ground."

http://www.barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu

Humans only wore shoes with elevated heels only relatively recently, on the evolutionary time scale.

In fact, the earliest form of hunting was "exhaustion hunting", where you got together with your friends and sprinted and chased an animal down until it was exhausted. No weapon skills required...

Just some observations -

You mentioned the purchase of trail running shoes - do you run on dirt and grass trails? If you are running on roads, then perhaps these are the wrong shoes for you. Trail running on dirt and grass is forgiving and as a result trail running shoes do not have the cushioning of road running shoes. The primary goals of trail running shoes is to provide traction and perhaps some ankle support.

I run on jungle trails in the mountains, no paved roads at all.

• Like 1

Sprinting down animals until they are exhausted?

You might want to look into that.

Sure Native Americans would track a deer for long periods to keep it moving until it was exhausted but it wasn't due to sprinting. They just kept the deer moving to cause overheating without rest periods.

That is called Persistence hunting and involved mostly involved jogging and walking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persistence_hunting

Humans had to be good long distance to hunt and gather.

The sprinting I am guessing was essential for escaping dangers.

• Like 1