Channel to be told to pull 'Miracle Perfect Slim' ad

webfact

Channel to be told to pull ad
WATCHIRANONT THONGTEP
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- THE BROADCASTING regulator will order MCOT to pull an exaggerated commercial for a food supplement after receiving a notice from the Food and Drug Administration.

Supinya Klangnarong, a member of the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Com-mission (NBTC), said yesterday that this was a result of the collaboration between her consumer protection committee and the FDA.

The spot for "Miracle Perfect Slim" was aired during an entertainment news show called "Tok Man(s) Bunterng", which runs in morning prime time on MCOT's Modernine TV channel, she said.

The owner of this food supplement obtained a permit from the FDA to sell and distribute the product, but it did not cover advertising, she said.

The dietary supplement claims that it can help customers enhance fat and weight loss.

MCOT simulcasts its analog Modernine TV shows on its terrestrial digital TV channel called MCOT HD.

Supinya's committee would issue a warning letter to the state-media enterprise and RS as soon as possible.

If MCOT do not comply with the order, they would incur a daily fine of Bt20,000 each, up to a maximum of Bt500,000.

An administrative action's highest degree of punishment in such cases is suspension or withdrawal of the TV licence.

The NBTC is also monitoring satellite TV channels for publicising illegal food supplements.

The FDA has found 11 offenders - Zabb Channel, Happy Home TV, Chic Club Channel, Asian Film, Mystery Channel, Nice Channel, UMM TV, AJP, MV Bangkok Channel, Nung Channel and Mongkol Channel.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Channel-to-be-told-to-pull-ad-30250606.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-12-25

"The owner of this food supplement obtained a permit from the FDA to sell and distribute the product, but it did not cover advertising, she said."

I'm sorry, but while I'm guessing this "slimming aid" is BS of the highest order, if the company has the license to sell it, why can't they advertise it?

If the FDA thinks it is exaggerating what it can do then why has it allowed to be marketed as a "slimming aid"?

Either they think it works or they don't. If the latter then it should be withdrawn from the market.

The company probably got the licence as a food supplement and therefore 100% legitimate to be sold as a supplement but when the manufacturers advertise it as a slimming aid with exaggerated slimming properties that is where they fell foul of the law. The FDA licence wasn't for a slimming aid.

• Like 2

"The owner of this food supplement obtained a permit from the FDA to sell and distribute the product, but it did not cover advertising, she said."

I'm sorry, but while I'm guessing this "slimming aid" is BS of the highest order, if the company has the license to sell it, why can't they advertise it?

If the FDA thinks it is exaggerating what it can do then why has it allowed to be marketed as a "slimming aid"?

Either they think it works or they don't. If the latter then it should be withdrawn from the market.

The company probably got the licence as a food supplement and therefore 100% legitimate to be sold as a supplement but when the manufacturers advertise it as a slimming aid with exaggerated slimming properties that is where they fell foul of the law. The FDA licence wasn't for a slimming aid.

You know that for sure? You've seen what the product claims it does?

Because this would suggest it is being marketed as a "slimming aid"

"The dietary supplement claims that it can help customers enhance fat and weight loss."

In addition the FDA seems to be saying you can sell it but not advertise it.

That makes no sense at all.

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

"The dietary supplement claims that it can help customers enhance fat and weight loss."

No, what Mr Geez is saying (and I agree with his interpretation) is that the license to sell was probably for a product that was portrayed as, say, a supplement, like vitamins. But when they advertised it's miracle properties, they 1. are false advertising, and/or 2. are claiming it's something that they didn't portray it as when getting a license to sell.

Fat AND weight loss? Maybe it shrinks the brains of the people who take it too?

No, what Mr Geez is saying (and I agree with his interpretation) is that the license to sell was probably for a product that was portrayed as, say, a supplement, like vitamins. But when they advertised it's miracle properties, they 1. are false advertising, and/or 2. are claiming it's something that they didn't portray it as when getting a license to sell.

Possibly but I'd like to see proof of that. The OP does not make that clear at all.