Back in the US(S)A...

TallGuyJohninBKK

I recently came back from LA and it took me a little while to figure out those passport, scanner things but in the end they are way better and make everything go faster. Immigration was actually cool to me this time also. Normally they are pretty rude and ask me what I was doing out of the country with a why would I want to leave USA#1 for any reason type attitude. Just generally being male genitalia. I usually feel like telling them I was born in the USA#1 and it's none of their business, just do your job and chop the passport.

That was my same exact feeling and experience, both on past trips in the bad way...and on this latest trip...in a much improved way.

The one issue I had about the passport scanners was, as best as I recall, when you walk up to them for the first time, I didn't see much in the way of instruction about just how and where to place your passport... [it's supposed to be opened to the face page and then placed face down into the slot surface on the machine.]

After getting the passport recognized, all the on-screen questions and ways of tapping in your responses were easy.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Hey dude...you been meditating for years in a wat in Thailand of something...keyless ignition is getting pretty common in cars in Thailand too smile.png

Don't forget to get your fill of burritos and prime-rib too!!

Like you're doing, I too used to stock up on all sorts of stuff on my trips Stateside in the past...just picked it all off the stuff I would to my Amazon wishlist while in Thailand and have it shipped to my hotel. However, on my most recent trips I've been doing this less and less...just about anything I want is now available in Thailand and usually the price is pretty competitive. And the stuff that isn't, like a BMW X3 is too big for my baggage allowance. Even the expensive imported foodstuffs I buy in Thailand I don't bother bringing over anymore as there's only so much one can bring back and I'll end up buying more of it in Thailand anyways.

Yep, agree, the best part about being back for a trip is being able to walk around in the crisp clean Cali air without breaking a sweat...especially this time of year. Enjoy your stay.

On the issue of cars, well, I don't own or regularly drive a car in Thailand (BKK). But, I do usually rent one for trips once a year or so. And, FWIW, none of the cars I've rented up to this point from the major Thai rent a car agencies have had keyless ignition... But then again, I'm not renting BMWs or Mercs also.

On the issue of shopping, we must have different kinds of lists, because a lot of the things I use in my daily life simply aren't available in Thailand at any price from anyone... other than being imported by me via mail deliveries. And by comparison, if you assume I have to make the TH-US trip anyway, carrying back nearly 100 pounds of goodies is a pretty nice Christmas present!!!

On the weather, it was a very crisp 50 degrees F outside last night...and I have NO sweaters or coats, needless to say.. I think I caught a COLD!!! But it does feel GOOD!!!!

• Like 1

I just got back to California from three weeks in Thailand, so bit groggy from that crushing flight, but I need to make a comment about In-and-out burgers.

Sorry, but those wimpy, skinny fries just don't do it for me.

I have been gorging myself on Mexican food since I got back - wonderful carne asada tacos, lard-infused frijoles, and some Mexican beer. I can feel my cholesterol doubling as I type this.

So give me some voluptuous Mexican food and not those skinny fries. But according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index, the granddaughter of the founder of In-and-Out is the youngest female American billionaire, so I am obviously in the minority.

Cheers.

• Like 1

I got back to my hotel tonight, after stopping on the way home to pick up some Del Taco burritos, at about midnight, and it was about 48 degrees F outside, which I gather translates into a balmy 9 degrees C... No jacket, no sweater and no gloves, since my relations had ended up tossing out all my boxed-up winter clothing since the last time I was here. And the Thai people complain when it gets down to the mid teens C.

Also noticed an odd thing during the week: I've been having breakfast most mornings at Dennys... And right now, they have 3 menus: one regular one with regular prices, one holiday seasonal one with specials, and then their "value" menu with a selection of $2, $4, $6 items.

The odd thing, almost Thai style, was at the particular Denny's branch I ended up eating most of the week, when I walked in, every day they'd only hand me the full regular price menu, and they wouldn't hand me either the seasonal or value menus with better prices. Each day, I had to ask the server to bring one of the other two menus for me, after they didn't provide them when first seating me.

I wouldn't have even known the two other, better-priced menus existed or those well-priced items were available, had I not eaten at a different Denny's once earlier in the week at a different location where they did hand me all 3 menus upon being seated. For the other/second place, do you think they might be trying to steer all their customers into paying full prices, despite their specials???

By the way, after years of using AAA membership to obtain usually a 10% hotel rate discount off their rack rates, this year, I qualified for and ended up signing up for AARP for I believe $16 per year. Not only did I save 15% off the best rate I could otherwise find for the hotel chain where I was staying, but I also got a flat 15% discount off all my meals at Denny's and varying amounts at other places. For the $16 per year membership fee, it turned out to be a very good deal and advantage for someone traveling in the U.S.

• Like 2

I just got back to California from three weeks in Thailand, so bit groggy from that crushing flight, but I need to make a comment about In-and-out burgers.

Sorry, but those wimpy, skinny fries just don't do it for me.

I have been gorging myself on Mexican food since I got back - wonderful carne asada tacos, lard-infused frijoles, and some Mexican beer. I can feel my cholesterol doubling as I type this.

So give me some voluptuous Mexican food and not those skinny fries. But according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index, the granddaughter of the founder of In-and-Out is the youngest female American billionaire, so I am obviously in the minority.

Cheers.

The fries at In-and-Out do indeed suck....usually soggy and tasteless.

I'll take a Five Guys burger and fries over In-and-Out anytime. thumbsup.gif

California has always been considered as, The Left Coast" of the USA. Over the past couple Decades, with it's Political Correctness, High cost of living, High Tax base and the Invasion of it by illegals, it just might as well be called,"The Peoples Republic of California"

Wealthy people are fleeing California in droves. I have several friends who have left. I did too. Decades of overspending, without improving hardly any of the infrastructure, over taxing, exorbitant usage fees, excessive policing, major drought, uncreative politicians, and overdevelopment have left the state a pale shadow of its former self. It is still a gorgeous state. But, the quality of life has gone way, way down, for all but the one percenters.

California has always been considered as, The Left Coast" of the USA. Over the past couple Decades, with it's Political Correctness, High cost of living, High Tax base and the Invasion of it by illegals, it just might as well be called,"The Peoples Republic of California"

Is that your original thought for the day?

The invasion of the illegals is the best thing that ever happened to Cali. They contribute so much to the economy. The net effect is nothing but a plus for the economy. Sorry, but the facts prove that out, and anybody who claims otherwise runs the risk of being called a bigot, and a white supremacist, in my book. The Latinos, Asians, and black population are what gives LA the only real color and personality it has. The white men are the most boring and colorless and least friendly (on so many levels) part of that city. The only warmth to be found there is from the people of color and ethnicity. They are the best part of LA. I am thankful to have them as part of the LA landscape.

• Like 1

I got back to my hotel tonight, after stopping on the way home to pick up some Del Taco burritos, at about midnight, and it was about 48 degrees F outside, which I gather translates into a balmy 9 degrees C... No jacket, no sweater and no gloves, since my relations had ended up tossing out all my boxed-up winter clothing since the last time I was here. And the Thai people complain when it gets down to the mid teens C.

Also noticed an odd thing during the week: I've been having breakfast most mornings at Dennys... And right now, they have 3 menus: one regular one with regular prices, one holiday seasonal one with specials, and then their "value" menu with a selection of $2, $4, $6 items.

The odd thing, almost Thai style, was at the particular Denny's branch I ended up eating most of the week, when I walked in, every day they'd only hand me the full regular price menu, and they wouldn't hand me either the seasonal or value menus with better prices. Each day, I had to ask the server to bring one of the other two menus for me, after they didn't provide them when first seating me.

I wouldn't have even known the two other, better-priced menus existed or those well-priced items were available, had I not eaten at a different Denny's once earlier in the week at a different location where they did hand me all 3 menus upon being seated. For the other/second place, do you think they might be trying to steer all their customers into paying full prices, despite their specials???

By the way, after years of using AAA membership to obtain usually a 10% hotel rate discount off their rack rates, this year, I qualified for and ended up signing up for AARP for I believe $16 per year. Not only did I save 15% off the best rate I could otherwise find for the hotel chain where I was staying, but I also got a flat 15% discount off all my meals at Denny's and varying amounts at other places. For the $16 per year membership fee, it turned out to be a very good deal and advantage for someone traveling in the U.S.

Old enough for AARP...how depressing. So is like the late Claude Pepper now your idol? I'll be 50 next year so can I sign up?

As to those restaurant menus, the staff were just forgetful, as so many T-Vers constantly remind us, such scams only happen in Thailand.

What I wouldn't give for a big Denny's breakfast with the works in Thailand!

Glad ur having fun...keep us posted.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

Ya... that's true...you really have to be decrepit in order to join AARP... all of age 50 or older.

Which obviously coincidentally, is the minimum age for a retirement extension of stay in Thailand at present!

http://www.aarp.org/ws/miv/staying-sharp/?standardJoin=UAJFT11&standardRenew=UAJFT11&premiumJoin=UAUSS51&premiumRenew=UAUSS51&CMP=MIV-PMD-SS5-LP-TEST-JOIN&nst=0

As for Denny's, menu funny business notwithstanding, think of gingerbread french toast, pumpkin creme pancakes, scrambled eggs with Cholula or Tabasco sauce on top, strips of real bacon or even Turkey bacon if you choose, hash browns (the real kind, not the frozen preformed patties from the store), etc etc etc.... And 15% off it all, because I'm an old AARP member! laugh.png

The fries at In-and-Out do indeed suck....usually soggy and tasteless.

I'll take a Five Guys burger and fries over In-and-Out anytime. thumbsup.gif

Turns out thers a Five Guys place just down the street from where I'm staying...

But not sure I'm going to make it this trip... gotta choose today between that and Black Angus prime rib for lunch.

Guess which one will win???

• 1 month later...
I usually ship USPS priority international. It is about $5.50 per pound, to Thailand. Takes about 10 days to three weeks. Never had an issue with customs. One time sent USPS express, which is a little bit more. Arrived faster, but got knicked for 3800 baht at customs. They charge duty on shipping fees too! What a racket. Avoid express. Any express service. It is a red flag for customs. They love it. Deny them their payday. Few things in life are as much fun as denying Thai customs a payday.

I was meaning to ask a while back, I'm not sure where you're getting the $5.50 per pound USPS rate from the U.S. to Thailand.

I don't see anything close to that, either USPS First Class or USPS Priority International.... as per the screen caps below for US to Thailand.

USPS First Class, $22-$24 for two pounds, US to Thailand

post-58284-0-70273500-1423661158_thumb.j

USPS Priority International, $40-$44 for two pounds (pricing based on weight), US to Thailand

post-58284-0-66834500-1423661162_thumb.j

The only thing that seems to come close to the $5+ per pound rate you mention is if you choose and can use their very small flat rate box or large video flat rate box, which each only will hold items no more than 2 inches or less in depth, and you can find something that fits in the box that weighs the maximum allowed 4 pounds. Priced at between $23 to $25 per box, those would fit your pricing, assuming your content weighed the full 4 pounds.

But most regular items someone's going to mail aren't going to fit in a 9x6x2 box, unless it's things like CDs and DVDs. And the things that would fit into those size boxes, aren't typically going to weigh 4 pounds.

Don't forget all the great salads! I love eating in SoCal, I usually get back three top five times a year.

The new immigration system is great, but I am not sure if it is an all the international terminals yet or not. I know it's in Bradley.

The departure terminal in Bradley was recently renovated as well, much nicer then it was.

A lot of guys squeaking about all the a-holes at LAX immigration/customs/airline, but I've been through there at least 50 times in the last 15 years and that just has not been my experience.

• Like 1

How about the ATM charges? 7-11 private machines were $2.50 or 2.95 - something like that. I used the Schwab card a few times before I got my head around being back in the US (it had been about 5 years) and that we could use our credit cards virtually everywhere, unlike Thailand - at least where I live. Funny how conditioned I got.

Sheeeeet, we about wore the mag strips off the Capital One cards after that. The cash backs were really nice those couple of months.

I also appreciated driving. The freeways get you places so quickly, you don't realize you've gone 20 miles. No motorbikes all around you or going the wrong way, massive tour coaches and over-loaded mini-trucks about to fall over if the wind blows. biggrin.png

I get the Cash backs from my Capitol One card for all of my purchases here in Thailand, as well as a favorable exchange rate

No need to wait until you are in the USA

I use the Chase Sapphire Preferred in the US and for travel outside Thailand, no foreign transaction fee and 2% back for travel including hotels and restaurants, and 1% for everything else.

I like to use a Thai card in when I am in Thailand. The Citibank Rewards Platnum is pretty good (I use the points for hotels) and they always wave the annual fee.

I usually ship USPS priority international. It is about $5.50 per pound, to Thailand. Takes about 10 days to three weeks. Never had an issue with customs. One time sent USPS express, which is a little bit more. Arrived faster, but got knicked for 3800 baht at customs. They charge duty on shipping fees too! What a racket. Avoid express. Any express service. It is a red flag for customs. They love it. Deny them their payday. Few things in life are as much fun as denying Thai customs a payday.

I was meaning to ask a while back, I'm not sure where you're getting the $5.50 per pound USPS rate from the U.S. to Thailand.

I don't see anything close to that, either USPS First Class or USPS Priority International.... as per the screen caps below for US to Thailand.

USPS First Class, $22-$24 for two pounds, US to Thailand

attachicon.gifUSPS 1st Class to Thailand.jpg

USPS Priority International, $40-$44 for two pounds (pricing based on weight), US to Thailand

attachicon.gifUSPS PRI to Thailand.jpg

The only thing that seems to come close to the $5+ per pound rate you mention is if you choose and can use their very small flat rate box or large video flat rate box, which each only will hold items no more than 2 inches or less in depth, and you can find something that fits in the box that weighs the maximum allowed 4 pounds. Priced at between $23 to $25 per box, those would fit your pricing, assuming your content weighed the full 4 pounds.

But most regular items someone's going to mail aren't going to fit in a 9x6x2 box, unless it's things like CDs and DVDs. And the things that would fit into those size boxes, aren't typically going to weigh 4 pounds.

I am shipping regularly. If you use their medium sized box, it works out to be about $5 or so per pound, for about 20 pounds. International priority express. Also less scrutiny from the customs freaks.

How about the ATM charges? 7-11 private machines were $2.50 or 2.95 - something like that. I used the Schwab card a few times before I got my head around being back in the US (it had been about 5 years) and that we could use our credit cards virtually everywhere, unlike Thailand - at least where I live. Funny how conditioned I got.

Sheeeeet, we about wore the mag strips off the Capital One cards after that. The cash backs were really nice those couple of months.

I also appreciated driving. The freeways get you places so quickly, you don't realize you've gone 20 miles. No motorbikes all around you or going the wrong way, massive tour coaches and over-loaded mini-trucks about to fall over if the wind blows. biggrin.png

I get the Cash backs from my Capitol One card for all of my purchases here in Thailand, as well as a favorable exchange rate

No need to wait until you are in the USA

So do I.

I don't.

• 2 weeks later...

Came in via LAX last year and was amazed at the respect shown to a fellow American

Came in via Chicago in Jan this year, and was assisted w the new devices by a friendly helpful person of Asian American heritage and was asked at the counter where I was coming from.

first I said I was coming from Hong Kong, then I corrected it to say technically I was coming from Thailand,

I asked him if I answered that correctly he looked at me, smiled and said technically yes