Cytopathology Report

yeti

Hi,

My gf went recently in Samitivej women's health center for a routine examination, they did a test, here it is:

Cytopathology Report

Specimen: Cervical & endocervical smear (ThinPrep Pap Test)

Adequacy: Satisfactory for evaluation

Diagnosis: Epithelial cell abnormalities (Atypical squamous cells of undetermined signifiance, ASC-US)

Note: Few intermediate cells show enlarged and hyperchromatic nuclei. A few non-classical koilocytes are noted. LSIL and/or HPV cannot be excluded.

Associated findings: mild inflammation with bacilli

Suggestion: please repeat smear within 4-6 months.

(HPV DNA TESTING can be performed from remaining cells.)

Doctor explained to my gf but she did not understand well enough or has not the vocabulary to explain me exactly. Only knows that she needs to go back for this test and another kind of test in 4-6 months, and (of course) not to worry.

First, about the test itself: is it a standard test (for a 30 yrs old woman), what is it exactly?

About the results: from what I found on internet it seems that it's not serious, but needs monitoring as it could be/become a cancer. What are LSIL and HPV?

Hi,

My gf went recently in Samitivej women's health center for a routine examination, they did a test, here it is:

Cytopathology Report

Specimen: Cervical & endocervical smear (ThinPrep Pap Test)

Adequacy: Satisfactory for evaluation

Diagnosis: Epithelial cell abnormalities (Atypical squamous cells of undetermined signifiance, ASC-US)

Note: Few intermediate cells show enlarged and hyperchromatic nuclei. A few non-classical koilocytes are noted. LSIL and/or HPV cannot be excluded.

Associated findings: mild inflammation with bacilli

Suggestion: please repeat smear within 4-6 months.

(HPV DNA TESTING can be performed from remaining cells.)

Doctor explained to my gf but she did not understand well enough or has not the vocabulary to explain me exactly. Only knows that she needs to go back for this test and another kind of test in 4-6 months, and (of course) not to worry.

First, about the test itself: is it a standard test (for a 30 yrs old woman), what is it exactly?

About the results: from what I found on internet it seems that it's not serious, but needs monitoring as it could be/become a cancer. What are LSIL and HPV?

HPV is a virus and it is true that all these test are to make a proper diagnosis to exclude cervical cancer. Cancer can either be malignt or benign.

HPV: Human Papillomavirus

LSIL: Low Grade Squamous Intraepithelial Lesion

Further tests should be repeated in three months time. The hospital should do further D.N.A. tests on the HPV specimen.

If in any doubt seek further professional opinion.

Your gf needs to do papsmear in 3-4 months to determine if she has/has not a cervical cancer.

Like libva said above, HPV is Human Papilloma virus and LSIL stands for Low Grade Squamous Intraepithelial Lesion.

HPV is responsible for cervical cancer if not treated. This virus can stay in the body for as long as 20 years. So women who change their sexual partners often should have pepsmear done every year.

You need to tell the doctor to go ahead and run the test for HPV (they can do it on the specimen they already have, but will cost extra of course). If it is positive it is too late for the vaccine, and she'll need to be followed closely for possible development of cervical cancer.

Also, as HPV is a sexually transmitted disease, if she turns out to have it you should also be evealuated, especially (but not only) if you did not always use condoms with her.

Regardless of whether you decide to do this, she needs a repeat thin prep(cervical smear, replaces what used to be called a pap smear) in 3-4 months time.

Don't be overly alarmed, cervical cancer caught early is highly treatable, but don't fail to stay on top of it as if ignored it can eventually be fatal.

Roger on the HPV testing, repeat cervical smear, and potential for cervical cancer. Best to catch it early!

My sister had cervical cancer some 20 years ago, at the age of 30. She didn't catch it until she had bleeding after intercourse. She had a hysterectomy and radiation treatments. Her daughter had an abnormal PAP smear at 17, when she went in for her first exam to the Pill. The biopsy was also the cure, as it was very very early stage, just the surface layer of cells were cancerous. So she is still able to have children.

Just to add something for parents of young girls (under 15 years old and never have sexual intercourse).

In Australia, there is a vaccine to prevent cervical cancer for girls before they are sexually active. The cost is around AUD$ 550 a shot.

Edited by Thai-Aust

Hi,

Thanxs all for your answers.

Doctor said to come back in 4 months, she'd do another smear and another test (already told it would cost 2600 THB), I guess HPV, so that's what my gf will do.

As we've been together for 3 yrs, seems I'll have to be tested as well if it is positive. Will tell my gf not to forget to ask about me.

Thanxs again.

--

Yeti

Just to add something for parents of young girls (under 15 years old and never have sexual intercourse).

In Australia, there is a vaccine to prevent cervical cancer for girls before they are sexually active. The cost is around AUD$ 550 a shot.

There's one in the US, too, I don't know the cost. Mutually monogamous marriage has benefits. :o But I anticipate a real mess over getting it aded to the list of recommended or required shots for girls aged 12 or older. The religious idiots think it will encourage promiscuity and premarital sex. Never mind that the rate of teen pregnancy has skyrocketed in the areas of Texas where the only sex ed taught is abstinence-only and fear-mongering using false data about STDs. No real education, nothing about disease or pregnancy prevention. *sigh*

It's an outstanding vaccination that all girls 12 and older should have.

I think the vaccine is now available in most countries..and yes, every girl and woman should have it with the sole exception of those who already have HPV (too late) and those who are sure they will never again have sex (nuns and some older women basically). Best given before the onset of sexual activity.